Closed [The Prairie ]Ready, Duel![Annalisa, Lenore]

A duel Amongst Reimancers in a nontraditional way

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[The Prairie ]Ready, Duel![Annalisa, Lenore]

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 31st, 2014, 5:11 am

Morning of 21 Summer 514

Walking through the Citadel, Clyde headed up and out from his normal place of work, Jenkins lab 13-J, back up and out. He was headed outside, to the training grounds, and more particularly the prairie, for another meeting with Anna.

It was due to a note that he had had delivered to her earlier, inviting her in somewhat vague terms. Vague on purpose, though, so as to elicit interest and perhaps make her more likely to show. And also in a small part just to mess with her and leave her wondering. If nothing else the wording of it would affirm the true-ness of its source, as Anna had likely spent enough time around him to notice his odd mannerisms at times, and his quirky nature. It was somewhat confusing, and both demanding and deferential in turn, while not conveying a solid tone.

Dear Wizard Marin, I hereby formally and irrevocably invite you at your pleasure to meet me on the fields of the prairie for a wizards duel, this coming 21st day of summer, before midday, or the time thereabouts.

Please bear in mind that this is in no way a legally binding request, a affirmation that I will be at the aforementioned location at the aforementioned time, nor that the meeting shall be fruitful, industrious, entertaining, or that all limbs one arrives with will still be attached in the same manner as when one leaves.

This does however serve as a convenient source of tinder should one wish to make a fire the mundane way.

A happy summer, and with a nod to the north,

Clyde Sullins, apprentice Magecrafter.

With Cha inevitably in hand, Clyde made his way up and through the citadel, walking with purpose and heading out. After a time he would make his way out into the open air, and make a direct beeline for the training grounds, eventually finding himself on the prairie. Assuming of course he did not get sidetracked or lost.

He had left much of his supplies back in his room, but was wearing his enchanted robes, and had a single light hammer tucked into his belt, hidden under his robes. This was more out of habit than out of the fact that it would truly serve much purpose.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 31st, 2014, 6:09 am

Her entire form was a big painful sore, ache radiating out to her muscles and pulsing malevolently. Annalisa Marin sat within the Prairie upon a rather large stone, her shoulders slopped downwards and her back slightly hunched forward. The once tall and proud sorceress was a miserable sight to look upon, fresh bruises marring her flesh and her hair wild and loose. Her clothes were tattered rags, her lips were cracked and rough, and dark circles ringed her eyes to denote lack of sleep. Wrapped around her right ankle was a seemingly out of place golden anklet, looking rather plain aside from the material it was crafted with.

Each day since her arrival in the Heartlands had been a day of misery and pain, Warden Kierra Doma working her to her very limits. Living in that… place, had caused her to actually forget the color of the sky naturally. The Prairie was a dead place, but in that simple fact is was comforting as the living and undead alike now held terror for her. Of course her reason for coming her was rather different than just getting some air. Thankfully this was one of the few days Kierra had no need of her, technically she had advised extended communion with Vex but she had an appointment with a certain other wizard to keep.

“This… Clyde Sullins. Why do you feel the need to meet his request?” Vex inquired through their telepathic bond.

“A break in monotony I suppose. Besides… you’ve never been outside of the Heartlands before today since you arrived. Seems a good idea to acquaint you with some of the outside world right?” Anna projected back.

“A wise choice as always, Anna. However this… duel concerns me. Your fights with Kierra are unavoidable; however it seems unwise to rush into battle on a day set aside for rest.” The Kirt said.

Anna quirked an eyebrow and looked down to the familiar’s sealed form wrapped around her ankle. It sounded rather like Vex was dissatisfied with her choice to come here today, something which had yet to come up in their interactions. The familiar was typically agreeable and somewhat pleasant to be around, however she sounded a little… on edge perhaps? The sorceress could understand to some degree, jumping back into violence seemed unwise to some degree. However she wanted to see Clyde’s full capabilities first hand and up close and personal.

“Unwise? It’s just a spot of amusement between wizards, Vex. Nothing to get worried over, besides the Heartlands drains my Res drawing capacity. Out here I’ve got much more strength.” The tall woman reassured.

“Perhaps. However, I would like to remind you, Anna, that you aren’t just playing with your life but mine as well. Keep that in mine, will you?” Vex replied, her mental tone coming off as somewhat… passive aggressive.

The sorceress furrowed her brow as the conversation ended, not exactly sure what she had done to cause the familiar to think like that. She had just said that she was just having a bit of fun with a fellow wizard, nothing to get worked up over. Anna highly doubted there was any real risk of either wizard from being harmed as they were both highly skilled. Clyde would not have challenged her otherwise, though what combat magic he might be skilled in was a mystery. Perhaps she thought Anna was too careless with her own safety, which was hardly the case and the Kirt was silly for thinking so. In anything, the familiar was the weak link in their bond at the moment. The tall woman simply sighed and pushed the affair to the back of her mind. If Vex wanted to worry over a silly competition she’d let her stew on her own.
Last edited by Annalisa Marin on July 31st, 2014, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lenore on July 31st, 2014, 6:52 am

Lenore tugged his pack onto his shoulders. Within lay a blank book, the nuit’s artist’s toolkit, a corked inked vial, and a quill. The first two objects belonged to him, the others he had taken from the common labs. It didn’t seem inappropriate if he was using the tools for research, or so the Nuit justified it.

Shambling through the halls in his meandering sort of way, the animator had intended to visit the docks today and observe the rodents. Perhaps get a drawing of their anatomy if one stood still long enough. Just as he was considering finding bait to ensure they gave him an extended period in which to sketch them, Lenore saw a familiar face. Apprentice Clyde Sullins was headed somewhere with that strange blue staff of his, and he seemed quite intent on his destination. There would always be rodents but the interesting pulsers wizards were so temporary. So his work for the day diverged.

Its not that Nuit was particularly stealthy by any means, he was just slow. Even with effort he only just kept up with Clyde’s turns through the citadel and eventually out into the open. Lenore was disinclined to run without good reason and though interesting the magecrafter wasn’t call for such haste. Haste could lead to serious damage to a body and Lenore would likely need a new one soon, he had reopened the wound in his palm for several activations now and it would likely not repair well soon. No need to hurry his vessel into a permanent grave.

When the trail led into the open air, he slowed just to keep Clyde within vision. He didn’t think of any particular reason for following the apprentice and if questioned his answer would be entirely organic. It took several chimes for Lenore to figure out where he was following Clyde to, and as soon as he began to recognize their direction he sped his steps significantly. Undead flesh wasn’t always enjoyed by most wild creatures so perhaps if the choice was between the pulser and the Nuit the wild thing would make the proper choice.

Lenore was closer to Clyde than ever before in this little game of follow the leader, when he finally realized the apprentice had stopped. Ever the social inept, rather than confronting Clyde for having followed him the researcher dug his book from his pack and a hunk of charcoal. With a beating-heart decoy in place whatever wildlife did appear would surely be worth the study. Clyde had shown the efficacy of voiding so he would probably be ok, or at least put up enough fight for Lenore to amble away back to the citadel.
Lenore
Player

Words: 41285
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2011, 7:00 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 31st, 2014, 7:49 pm

Reaching into his pack which was mostly empty, Clyde took out in his free hand one of the few things he had brought with him. A stone cube mostly covered in Glyphs.

At first glance it would look mundane enough, and technically more or less was. It hadn't been transmuted into existence, instead molded from the raw stone of the Sahovan terrain. Although the way it had been done was thoroughly magical, using attraction to mold the stone like wet clay, thickening and forming and solidifying it, until it was shaped just right as a solid stone cube.

The tricky part was of course filling the inherent hollow and imperfections normally found in wild stone. His first attempt at filling them in with transmuted res had ended with the entire first cube exploding into fragments due to the expanding stone pockets. He'd gotten the amount of res to fill the holes a bit off. This second attempt though had been fully filled in and shaped with attraction.

He'd been left with a stone cube with somewhat rounded corners, with no real jagged or sudden points, and measuring about 1 and 1/2 times his closed fist. He could make them smaller, or bigger, but this fit well enough in his open palm. Five faces where glyphed, having a focus taking up the center, and a barrier snaking around it covering the space in between the focus and the edge of the given face. The sixth side was cracked and marred, as Clyde had filled it with a spell and released it by breaking the edge of the barrier. With the glyphs spent, they had cracked the surface of the face, effectively destroying them.

Focused on his task, Clyde did not initially notice that he was being followed. Not really out of any innate stealthiness of the nuit, but more so out of the fact that Clyde's mind was on other tasks.

It wasn't till he arrived at the Prairier, a bit into it, and came to a stop, gazing about to see if Anna had arrived yet, that he looked about and noticed a somewhat familiar nuit behind him.

“What? What are you doing here? Did you follow me?”

Clyde frowned back at the nuit, wondering why he was here. Stalking him? Something more nefarious? Or just butting into Clyde's business.

Clyde wasn't sure. But as the given time for his meeting with Anna was nearing, he did not have time to go back to the citadel and get rid of him, and then come back. Either the nuit would leave, or he'd have to put up with him. Or maybe he could just scare him off, if he got to annoying.

Struggling for a name, Clyde looked at the nuit, focusing on its features and mannerisms. It was tough, as Clyde was not to good with names, and the nuits often had common appearances from their dead looks.

“Look whatever, just don't get in my way. And if you get hit by a stray spell, its on you, not me. You were warned. Buzz off whatever your name is!”

Focusing back on looking for Anna, Clyde proceeded a bit deeper into the prairie, the thump of his staff on the ground every few steps. Of course considering he'd just spoken loudly to the nuit on a open area with little other noise, it was likely someone or something nearby would overhear his small outburst.

Looking back at the nuit, Clyde spoke loud enough for him to hear, but not as loudly as his earlier words.

“Uh so... What was your name again?”

Clyde still held his staff in one hand, and the cube in the other, but in all other ways seemed to be acting normally and not doing anything magical or interesting. Besides of course mysteriously wandering out into the prairie.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 31st, 2014, 8:24 pm

Sighing as she realized that Vex was likely no longer interested in speaking, the tall woman slowly climbed down off her rock and winced as her sandal clad feet were forced to hold up her full weight. She hadn’t broken anything, she was just extremely sore at the moment. Anna gripped the gnarled staff she had taken from the void in one hand, the battered piece of wood serving as a good walking stick if nothing else. Clumsily she stumbled through the Prairie, betting that if Riyanna was watching she’d probably be laughing herself silly at the sight of the mighty Annalisa Marin laid so low.

The sorceress looked about for the other mage, her progress somewhat slow and sluggish. She felt and looked positively miserable in any meaning of the word, to the point where she hoped this match would prove a good distraction. Once the duel was over Anna intended to head straight back into the Heartlands, she needed to go over the combat forms Kierra had taught her yesterday. Briefly she pondered over the fact Clyde had yet to reveal any other personal magic of his beyond Auristics and Voiding. The former was not useful for combat; the latter was far too weak for him to be able to match her own Voiding prowess.

Eventually after a bit more walking Anna noted a silhouette on the horizon, and then another soon after that. She quirked an eyebrow, quickly recognizing Clyde’s figure but not so easily recognizing the other from a distance. The tall woman leaned heavily upon the staff she walked with, quickly approaching the other wizard and offering him a weak smile. As her gaze flitted over the other she recognized him as a Nuit she had met once in the Common Labs. Anna idly wondered what an undead of all things was doing out in the Testing Grounds.

“Hail, Clyde. I see this season has fared you well enough. I suppose that is all one can ask for on Sahova.” The tall woman said by way of greeting.

“He looks rather fresh and ready for combat. You on the other hand look rather like you got into a fight with a natural disaster and lost. This is going to end poorly.” Vex projected mentally towards Anna.

“Perhaps if you applied you mind to thinking on ways for me to succeed rather than fail things wouldn’t end poorly, Vex.” Anna shot right back.

Vex fell silent for a good stretch of time allowing Anna time to inquire as to the nature of this duel and the fact that they had a guest. The tall woman had fought with the eyes of spectators upon her a number of times, however this occasion seemed a little odd to her. What reason would a Nuit animator have for being present during a wizard duel between two Pulsers? She opted to keep that line of thinking to herself, leaving Vex out of that kind of pondering. If the familiar did not want to be helpful that was her problem.

“So, what manner of duel is this you had in mind? What are the rules and the magics permitted? As the one to be challenged I suppose I’d normally have the right to choose weaponry while you would choose location but I’ll accede both to you.” Anna said.

“The fact that you are so tired might very well play to your advantage. Appear weak and he may very well think he possesses the advantage.” Vex finally said, drawing a tiny smile from Anna.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lenore on August 1st, 2014, 6:27 am

Lenore looked over Clyde and adjusted his spectacles before answering, “Follow? Yes I suppose I did.” The boy nuit looked out over the testing fields to see what creature would show up. When one finally did surface it was not at all the type of wild thing Lenore had hoped for. It was that Wizard to whom he owed a favor, although he still felt it overly foolish of her to so freely give him a writing sample of all the letters and numbers. He watched the woman in ragged dress approached.

Aside from the Wizard, the researcher scanned the area for a boulder upon which to sit. Having limbs that never tired was helpful but still not overly stable for drawing. Sitting on the other hand provided a good amount of leverage. In his visual search he had almost missed Clyde’s second question, “Oh, I am Lenore.” He said absent-mindedly. Maybe if he didn’t make eye-contact with the female Pulser she would ignore him, it was worth trying. “I will stay out of the way Clyde Sullins, I wished to observe the wildlife this morning but I think this will be more constructive.”

Internally he was hoping for something magic-related although the blue staff was the only thing that implied more than mundane yet. At some point Lenore would need to ask why the staff was blue. If there was a tree that grew blue that would certainly be worth studying, a blue puppet golem would be a novelty though. Nothing about blueness enhanced a golems usefulness at least not that immediately came to mind.

The Lady Wizard and owner of debts, mentioned a duel. A duel between wizards could only be educational. He waited a chime hoping to hear these rules, so he might know what to expect from the exchange. The first time Lenore had met Clyde he had been able to witness Voiding, today he wasn’t sure what magics to anticipate, more voiding? Magecrafting didn’t seem like much use in a duel, and certainly not one out if the testing grounds. Come to think of it, he had never seen the Wizard do any magic at all. He had no knowledge of her field of research.

Lenore flipped open his book to take notes regarding the rules while the others spoke. The first page was blank and so that is where he began. He couldn’t think of anything more interesting to begin a book on than a duel of mages.

He pointed out a particular rock a dozen yards from the two Sahovan mages, “You said to stand back Clyde Sullins, will that boulder be suitably far?”
Lenore
Player

Words: 41285
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2011, 7:00 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 1st, 2014, 7:36 pm

“Follow? Yes I suppose I did.”

Clyde was somewaht annoyed to see the nuit tagging along, particularly since he had done so without asking for permission. Perhaps he didn't want just anyone watching, or tagging along, or interfering. A frown settled over his face as he stared back, considering whether or not a well aimed fireball sent at his head would be enough to make him scurry back to the dark depth of the citadel. But as he was pondering this, he noticed Anna nearing.

“Oh, I am Lenore.”

Lenore, for some reason the name annoyed Clyde further. Of course since it was more his presence there, the fact that he answered Clyde's question did little to settle his annoyance.

“I will stay out of the way Clyde Sullins, I wished to observe the wildlife this morning but I think this will be more constructive.”

“Don't annoy me Lenny, or whatever your name was. Or before this day is done you'll be looking for a new body. Do I make myself clear?”

As he spoke this, clearly a statement meant as intimidating, he glared at the nuit, making his meaning amply clear. Without bothering to hear his answer, Clyde turned back to face the approaching Annalisa Marin.

“Hail, Clyde. I see this season has fared you well enough. I suppose that is all one can ask for on Sahova.”

Clyde nodded his agreement, looking over Anna. She seemed a bit worse for wear, even considering how most pulsers were treated on Sahova. Perhaps too many of the nuit had been undead for too long, and forgot the requirements of the living. If he stuck around long term, he would need to make sure to deal with some of those issues.

“So, what manner of duel is this you had in mind? What are the rules and the magics permitted? As the one to be challenged I suppose I’d normally have the right to choose weaponry while you would choose location but I’ll accede both to you.”

Clyde paused for a moment, and held up the stone cube made of Sahovan terrain before her. He held it at an angle so that she would see that two of the visible faces held glyphs, and the third was the marred and expended side. The other sides were facing away.

“A duel with these. I know you know of Glyphing, yes? Well this is a creation of mine using Glyphing, I call it a Reimancer's cube. You store magic in the faces, a spell on each, and then use Reimancy to move the cube about and to break the glyphs when you need to release the spell. I invented it a season or two ago.”

Clyde paused for a moment, and then stepped forward, handing the cube over for Anna to inspect it.

“So, you'll need to make one of these, and prepare it with spells. Then our cubes fight, and the last one standing wins. If we both run out of spells, its a tie. So the weapon will be these, the magic will be Reimancy, and the fight is to the death... Well the death of one of the cubes, not us. Oh and for safety reasons, no lava or lightning. That could go badly fast. But besides that, any other reasonably sized Reimancy spell goes! Of course since the cubes are of a certain size, and so is the focus, you can only fit such a sized spell inside. So that is a self limiting factor in and of itself.”

Grinning back at Anna, he watched her, waiting for her to finish inspecting the cube.

“So, when you are ready, just make a copy of the cube, glyph it, and store some spells in it.”

Turning back to the nuit, Clyde frowned, making his mood towards the interloper clear.

“You said to stand back Clyde Sullins, will that boulder be suitably far?”

“I make no promises, so long as you remain. I cannot say what might happen with a stray spell, or with any leftover ones in the cube should it be destroyed.”

Of course, the idea was somewhat odd, fighting with a pair of cubes, one against another. Neither were really meant for such uses. In fact, Clyde had invented them with anti-personnel usage in mind. Prepare a few cubes beforehand, infuse them with res when the fight began, float them up and about, and release the spells at the enemies. A much better method for a Reimancer, since it was more durable than paper, and allowed one to move the storage device about more freely before releasing the spell.

Attempting to aim the cubes at each other when they were such small targets, and while the cubes themselves were moving about, they'd be lucky if one of them managed to even strike the others cube once, let alone destroy it.

“Anyways, I thought it might be a fun little exercise, to further test my invention. They've yet to be field tested in actual combat, and this seems the closest I'll get to it.”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on August 27th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Anna was a tad annoyed at the presence of the Nuit, under the best of circumstances she did not enjoy the company of the undead. Even Amaryllis and Maelstrom were more individuals she endured rather than liked particularly, though that was certainly a fair bit better than her opinion of other races. Clyde did not seem bothered by the additional presence so the tall woman simply ignored him for the time being. Instead she focused upon what she was being presented as weaponry. Something that she would be the first to admit appeared rather unusual based initial observation, but as she took in the whole she found this design ingenious.

She took the cube and turned it gently over in her hand, marveling at the simplicity of the item while at the same time noting some oddities. There were no triggers, but as Clyde was explaining it the truth was that triggers were not needed. The proper application of attraction could very well shatter the barrier, which would release the magic in the focus on command. Which meant that the dangers of possible premature activation were almost completely mitigated. Of course, breaking the Glyphs would still cause release but other than that there were few weaknesses Anna could see.

“Impressive Clyde, I would never have thought to eliminate the Trigger from the equation. Of course this means that the person using it must be a Reimancer to use it. I had no idea that you were a colleague of the arts of the elements as well, truly our meeting was ordained by some higher power.” Anna said with a smile, avoiding the naming of such a power due to the Nuit nearby.

How she hated that, the aversion she had to display in speaking the holy name of her god. Why could she not scream to the heavens above the name of he who had guided her here? Another indignity that she suffered for Sahova, sadly enough. Though, it was likely that even were she not judged harshly by the name itself that she would still keep it a secret. It was better to keep one’s cards very close to their chest, though that was not an option around Clyde. He could feel just as she could the presence of another Chaon.

“No lightning or lava sounds fair and safe enough. Fire likely is not a danger out here so that is safe enough.” Anna muttered to herself as she handed the cube back to Clyde.

The tall woman gathered her Djed, plucking at the very strands of her being as she worked her most powerful magic. She forced the energy out through her right hand, almost immediately afterwards a purple translucent liquid formed. Res bled out from her body in a frightening speed, her time in Heartlands having forced her to work with half of her normal reserves for so long that this was as easy as breathing. She willed the substance out before her body and started giving it the shape of a cube.

Once she was certain that she had the shape and size down to a replica of Clyde’s cube she included little indentations upon the liquid itself, creating the cube with her Glyphs already upon its surfaces. Once she had the arrangements of geometric shapes down well enough and everything seemed in order, Anna willed the res to solidify and harden. The transmutation was similarly quick and soon she had her own stone cube sitting in her hands, each side possessing Glyphs waiting to receive magic.

“Right… now what magic to use… hmm… Clyde what magics did you use in yours?” Anna inquired as she considered her weaponry for this fight.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes