August Culinary Creations

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Voodoo on August 5th, 2014, 5:19 am

...]
It has been brought to the attention of the Collective Chat Mind that there once was a cook-off held here at Mizahar. Brought to you by the Council of Chefs, we have decided to breath life into this contest. Yes, I said contest. Awesome medals such as Power Fork and Thunderspork are being reborn in this recreation of the Mizaharan culinary cook-off.

The Council of Chefs have decided to put a spin on things, so for the Month of August, our theme is:

Mystery Item!

You can make anything of your choice, but you must complete the following requirements to get the August Medal:

1. You must provide the name and recipe that you used. That way others may use it in the future if it looks delicious.

2. You must provide pictures. I won't put a minimum on it, but the more pictures, the better. Cyber cookies if you make a mess of yourself and take a picture as well.

3. You MUST use the mystery item in some creative way in your dish.

4. You must have your dish completed by August 31, 2014 and submitted to this thread.

Pretty simple right? Now, to share with you the mystery item. The Council of Chefs have decided to make it easy on you this month. The August Mystery item is:

Crackers!

Set your timers and sharpen your knives! Ready, set, COOK!
Voodoo
I'm known for ma graveside manner...

Words: 73986
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2014, 4:50 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Balian Martell on August 5th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Done. Considered this post a place holder for my dish.
To hunt, you need to know your prey just as well as you know yourself
a
Balians Wilderness Journal
Balian Martell
The young hunter

Words: 113544
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 2:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Calters on August 7th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Presenting my dish for the August cook-off, Saltine Toffee!

This dish is incredibly simple and absolutely delicious. It uses four simple ingredients.
Ingredients:
1.5 sleeves of saltine crackers
1 stick (4 oz) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips

The directions were found here. It mostly consists of drizzling a sugar/butter mixture over Saltine crackers, baking them at 350 degrees, and then adding chocolate chips on top. If you use mint chocolate chips around the holidays, it can make a great treat for parties or little ones who are on the move all the time.

Pictures to come...
Calters
When music hits you, you don't feel the pain

Words: 88993
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Cheddar Ritz Chicken

Postby Voodoo on August 11th, 2014, 2:22 am

This is my entry for the August Culinary Creations! I typed up how to make it in this new Cooking Blog, which includes pictures. I hope you all enjoy and I cannot wait to see what you all produce for me to try.
Last edited by Voodoo on August 28th, 2014, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo

Office

Postby Voodoo on August 28th, 2014, 3:47 am

This is a warning to have your posts and pictures up before September 1 to get a shiny medal underneath your avatar. You know you want it...
Voodoo

Office

Postby Fallon on August 28th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Fallon's Macaroni cheese bake... with extra crunch.

I scummed to this, it had to be done. If anything to maybe convince some kind soul to come and feed me. Possibly, maybe. And so I present to you my dreadful recipe and how I make macaroni cheese bake! (With Bacon and Spring onion, which is completely optional). I actually ended up having to write the recipe as I went along and note down the values; I'm the sort that just makes instead of actually consider the recipe. Anyway, enjoy!

Also, squirm at my bad cooking etiquette. Also, yes, BACON! Take the bacon! Take it!

Ingredients:Image

Serves: 1 to 2 people (but easily increased to 3 to 4 by doubling values).

• 200 grams Macaroni Pasta
  • Semi skimmed Milk
  • 100 gram Mature Cheddar
  • 4 Crackers
  • 1 tablespoon of Butter
  • 1 tablespoon of plain flour (though I personally just add gradually until happy).

Optional:

• 2 Bacon Rashers
  • 2 Spring Onions

Method:
Prep: 10 to 20 minutes depending on how good you are at cheese grating (I'm terrible so it takes forever).
Total time: 35 to 55 minutes

1. Preheat oven to 220 C/Gas 6/ 200 C Convection Oven/ 392 F
  2. Weigh everything out.
    Secret :
  3. Cook Macaroni Pasta to packet instructions. Once done, drain and return to cooking pot. For myself, it was 'placing the pasta into a pan of boiling water, bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 13 minutes before draining and serving immediately.'
  4. Meanwhile, rub one quarter of butter around desired baking dish. The other 3/4 begin to melt in second saucepan. Once melted gradually add milk, stir, and add flour. Keep over a medium heat, and keep mixing until it starts to thicken.
    Secret :
  5. Grate cheese, gradually add 3/4 of it to saucepan, continue to mix again until smooth cheese sauce.
  6. Move macaroni to baking dish, leave if need be.
  7. Proceed to break up crackers into crumbs (I advise doing this in a sandwich bag for keeping things clean). Once done, mix with left over grated cheese.
    Secret :
  8. OPTIONAL: For those who want bacon and spring onion, proceed to slice up into small pieces, add to macaroni, mix in.
    Secret :
  9. Pour cheese sauce over pasta, mix well again. Sprinkle left over cheese and broken crackers over top.
    Secret :
  10. Bake for 25-30 Minutes. Remove and serve whilst hot!
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Caelum on August 31st, 2014, 11:22 pm

Last minute entry!

Tomato pie is a staple where I come from and it's something everyone has a different way of doing. This particular recipe comes from my mother in law's kitchen and is served at brunch or dinner with fruit and eggs or with broccoli slaw and barbecue. It's southern, so it's fattening.

Those of you familiar with tomato pie might be looking at the ingredient list and hissing at the "canned tomatoes", but hand to God that's Amy's secret weapon. You can replace canned tomatoes with three fresh ones sliced (and juice reserved) and it's good. I've done it that way. But then we experimented one winter when none of the fresh tomatoes were any good, and this is what happened.

It's even better.

The Ingredients
  • 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
  • 3 cans diced or stewed tomatoes
  • 1 medium Vidalia (or sweet) onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1 cup shredded parmesan
  • 1 cup shredded swiss (or cheddar, like I substituted here)
  • 3 tablespoons Dukes mayonnaise (or Helman's if you have my husband who gets the wrong thing)
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream

The Recipe
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Crush Ritz crackers and spread evenly over bottom of 8x12 casserole dish.
  • Chop up onion and garlic and saute in butter. Takes about five minutes. Don't let the butter brown.
  • Drain cans of tomatoes into a bowl to reserve juice and spread tomatoes evenly over cracker crumbs.
  • Pour onion/garlic/butter mixture over the top.
  • Drizzle reserved tomato juice over the top. I use about two thirds of it, but it depends on how soggy or together you want things to turn out.
  • Mix all of the cheese up with the mayo and the sour cream. It should be about the same consistency as pimento cheese.
  • Spread cheese mixture on top. It won't be easy and it won't be perfect no matter what you do. It'll be alright.
  • Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
  • Enjoy!

The Pictures :
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)