Travel Time Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Travel Time Question

Postby Eivl on August 30th, 2014, 8:21 am

Subject: The Founder's Public Service Announcements

Excuse me, I'm new here, with a question about travel time when the individual traveling is capable of flight. In Akvatari lore, it says that an Akvatari can reach a cruising speed of 40 mph, and can go 60 mph in short bursts. I was wondering if it would be possible for my character to travel at cruising speed, resting a while every hour or so, making the total travel time from Kenash to Ahnatep (a distance of 915 miles) in approximately two days.

The actual travel time is about 23 hours of nonstop travel, and as she will rest for about an hour after two hours of travel, sleeping as necessary, she should be able to make the trip in two days. Being reasonably athletic from her experience swimming and flying alike in her childhood, going two hours without rest should not be much of a problem.

I would like some clarification on this, as being able to visit family at least twice every season would grant her significant character development.
Eivl
Early Retirement

Words: 22708
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2014, 4:53 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet

Travel Time Question

Postby Darkalin Pinewood on August 30th, 2014, 12:21 pm

To go that long without rest, you would need some points in Stamina. And there is the problem about no St.... But I assume you know about that.
"This is Common"
This is thoughts.
"This is Symenos"
This is Writing
Darkalin Pinewood
Player

Words: 17152
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2014, 12:20 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Travel Time Question

Postby Fallon on August 30th, 2014, 12:35 pm

In answer to your question, on the Travel Times Lore page - underneath the 'Special Notes' section - the following is said about the Akvatari:

Akvatari - Akvatari are capable of flight for extended periods of time however they still need eat, drink and sleep like any other living creature. They do not function well in flight at night due to their lack of nightvision or other enhanced senses like those of the zith. They do not fly for hours at a time without rest. On average, they can fly up to 60 miles in a day. Note that the Akvatari are not birds and thus are not designed for the same form of extended flight.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Travel Time Question

Postby Eivl on August 30th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Pinewood: I've gone over the skill list and found nothing of the sort. However, it seems like any trainable skill can be listed.

Fallon: So the average amount of time needed will be 15 or so days for a 915-mile flight... Understood, thank you for the clarification.
Eivl
Early Retirement

Character sheet

Travel Time Question

Postby Neologism on August 31st, 2014, 4:56 am

Eivl, I believe Dark meant Endurance, which is on the skill list.
Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Travel Time Question

Postby Eivl on August 31st, 2014, 5:32 am

I was skimming for the specific word, 'Stamina'... I'll have to keep an open mind from now onwards.

But does this mean if I train it enough by traveling I can shorten travel time? Or does it have no significant effect on the roleplaying aside from performance in combat situations and/or work?
Eivl
Early Retirement

Character sheet

Travel Time Question

Postby Neologism on August 31st, 2014, 7:46 pm

Endurance is the ability to exert yourself for long periods of time. So if you push yourself to fly longer or faster than you normally do, prior to your travels, it would build up your ability to fly longer or harder.

Now, I'd like to elaborate on a Mizahar fact that will come to be well-known for you. Traveling in Mizahar is not easy and very dangerous. It looks like you plan on flying, by yourself, from Abura to Kenash. I don't want to rain on your parade, but that is nearly impossible. Aside from taking into account all the things you would need to bring with you (which would drastically add to your time, even if you could fly while carrying them) and weather. Glassbeaks basically infest Cyphrus. They would have no issue plucking you out of the air and gobbling you up ... It's much safer to take a boat, a bit longer and a bit more expensive. But it doesn't guarantee death.

And one more thing I'll point out to you about your character sheet: The minimum amount of points you can have in a skill is 5. So you will have to find a way to bump sculpting, drawing and singing up to 5 points or get rid of them.
Neologism

Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Travel Time Question

Postby Eivl on August 31st, 2014, 8:20 pm

I see. I'll be sure to train this eventually.

A boat... Could Eivl possibly fly through the caravan route noted here? She may also encounter travelers who would be willing to give her passage, which translates to threading opportunities for myself, rather than just describing a long trip by boat. I've accounted for the fare in Eivl's ledger, but should permission to take the caravan route be given, I'd like to take that route instead, in a flashback.

Changes have been made to Eivl's character sheet accordingly, thank you for the note.
Eivl
Early Retirement

Character sheet

Travel Time Question

Postby Neologism on August 31st, 2014, 11:57 pm

Well, if you aren't going to go by boat, it is best to follow that lore's instructions exactly. Fly low to the ground and stay on the road. You should be all good then. :)

Gosh, I keep accidentally posting as my alt xD
Neologism

Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Travel Time Question

Postby Eivl on September 1st, 2014, 8:16 am

Understood, I'll deduct 16 days' worth of rations instead.

Thank you for the clarification, and sorry for taking up so much time.
Eivl
Early Retirement

Character sheet

Next