Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Question

Postby Zhou on August 31st, 2014, 7:00 am

Are there other means to create a flying mount other than the use of Wind Eagles?

This can be through 'any' means

mage crafting, malediction, alchemy, animation, taming another / similar animal, shape-shifter, a giant owl,(Which I've seen referenced.) or something

I'm just asking if it is possible.
"Any man with Practise can master a skill... like-wise any man with experience can be wise.
However, it takes a true warrior to master both..."
Zhou
Outcast

Words: 39504
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2014, 7:39 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Question

Postby Rayage on August 31st, 2014, 9:10 am

Hello,

What you are asking for IS in fact possible, but it would take a considerable amount of roleplay, skill building, resource collecting, and building on your part. I would suggest that you look at the monster wiki and look at things called "Moldlings". There are a couple playable moldling races, such as the Kelvic and the Pycon, created by powerful wizards, researchers, and innovators. Creating entire races and beings able to reproduce after magical tampering takes a lot of time and research. An example would by my own (incomplete) race The Vinonen. In the first post you can see the entire process laid out with alchemical chargers and procedures.

It would be far easier to create 'monsters' that will serve you until they die (things that are unable to reproduce). My primary focus has been on Alchemy, but I suppose you can use a good bit of Philtering to change a creature.

I would suggest that you read lore pages very carefully and come up with a plan of your own to create what you'd like. Im sure you can figure something out. Though the path of the moldling is very difficult and takes lots of careful thought and preparation. However, it is something you could work towards.

Though if creating something isnt what you want, I think we discussed actually 'becoming' something. If you can get to master morphing, you can unlock supreme transformations which can be fun to play around with. Expert in morphing should be enough to turn into a giant bird if you have a model of it.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Question

Postby Zhou on August 31st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Thank you <3

That's exactly what I wanted to here, I've said before I have no illusion that such a thing would be easy, but from here I can ask the right questions to the right people and get an idea of what i need and at what level.

I've been reading through all the magics recently.

You recommend alchemy?
"Any man with Practise can master a skill... like-wise any man with experience can be wise.
However, it takes a true warrior to master both..."
Zhou
Outcast

Words: 39504
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2014, 7:39 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Question

Postby Rayage on August 31st, 2014, 12:41 pm

I have a bias towards Alchemy because it is the only magic, so far, with the ability to create and mold life. Not saying that it cant be done in other ways (such as how Kelvic were made), but right now it seems to be the most viable option to the modification and recreation of life. Success at creating high level homunculi, however, is only to be had at master level, but that doesnt mean you cant experiment at lower levels (getting your theories in order and 'stepping stones' for the real thing).

Also Alchemy is among one of my favorite magics ever. So yeah, complete and utter bias. There are other ways, as I said, but Alchemy is the most obvious.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Question

Postby Darkalin Pinewood on August 31st, 2014, 12:57 pm

@Rayage: Animation can create something just as good, OR, Better than life. But, it isn't real life. It can't reproduce, and it is only as good a what it does as you make it, but that means there is little that you might not expect.
"This is Common"
This is thoughts.
"This is Symenos"
This is Writing
Darkalin Pinewood
Player

Words: 17152
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2014, 12:20 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Question

Postby Rayage on August 31st, 2014, 2:03 pm

I did say that there are other ways. Animation is very limited in the scope of you have to craft everything yourself, from the joints of the golem, and teach it everything youd like it to know, how to act, how to move, etc (to start out with. I understand that higher class golems are able to learn and adapt and whatnot). I was just stating that Alchemy was the most obvious choice for me and my characters concept. He is free to explore other means, as there are plenty of other ways to obtain what he wants. However, it would be very, very difficult to create an animation of a bird that can fly. Not impossible, but very difficult, and then to make it giant... there are a lot of physics problems with that. Good luck building a giant mechanical bird that can fly, is all. You'd need lots and lots of gadeteering, lots of animation exp to make it what he wants.

For me, Animation introduces an unneeded amount of complexity that I really dont like. Its just not my cup of tea. Now that it has been mentioned, you can try and have a look at Animation, its another possible route to go down. There are yet other ways to look into. Ill have you find them as you explore Mizahar the site.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)