Closed All the Pretty Horses (Drusilla)

Drusilla visits the Skyhigh Stables.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

All the Pretty Horses (Drusilla)

Postby Zhol on November 24th, 2014, 10:09 am

Zhol winced slightly at the complexity of the answer that Drusilla's latest questions required. "There are a lot of different opinions about that," he said, choosing his words as carefully as he could, trying to steer towards an explanation that wasn't too heavily rooted in his own personal perspective. "In some parts of the world, they ride bareback: no saddle, and not very much of anything else, except maybe a blanket for comfort. In Endrykas, they use something called a yvas, which has handles behind the horse's shoulders instead, and has nothing on their face at all. In Syliras they use horses for jousting, so there's a whole different set of equipment. Every society seems to have their own idea of what is right and what should be done."

He frowned a little, not feeling his answer was quite satisfactory enough. "I think of it like shoes. Some people are used to wearing big clompy boots. Some people are more comfortable in sandals. Some prefer going barefoot. They probably spent their whole life getting used to doing one particular thing, and if you suddenly force them to start wearing different shoes, it's going to be weird and uncomfortable for them at first. That's how it is with horses. If you brought a strider from Endrykas and started strapping all of this stuff on them, they wouldn't know what was going on, and would be very unhappy. If I got a yvas, and tried to ride Solo with it, he wouldn't understand what instructions I was trying to give him; he'd have to learn all over again."

"It would be tricky for the rider, too: riding isn't just about sitting up there and holding on, it's about giving subtle little instructions and messages to the horse without having to say anything, because when you're riding fast it's too loud to hear. A particular style of riding is like a particular language; if you took a rider from Endrykas and sat them on a horse from Wind Reach, it'd be like talking to the horse in Pavi, when it's spent it's whole life learning how to follow instructions in Nari. The horse and the rider wouldn't know how to understand each other."

He shrugged. It felt like a non-answer, dodging around his uncertain opinion by claiming there was no such thing as correct. He'd considered the possibility more than once of asking Wind Reach's leathersmiths to build a yvas for him, so that he could perhaps at the very least teach Solo to use one; Solo was still young after all, and if he was going to learn something new, now was the best time. But not only was it not his choice - Solo belonged to the stables; his role was to train the horses, not to make decisions about what they were taught - he also didn't feel as if it was his right, either. Who was he to say that Wind Reach was doing it wrong? Who was he to decide that what Solo was comfortable with and accustomed to wasn't the best way? What gave him the right to expect every horse in these stables to adapt to how he thought it should be, instead of him adapting to a Kalean style of riding?

"As for why they need to bite something -"

That was even harder to explain. It wasn't even biting, really; the bit was designed to slot into the spaces between their sets of teeth, to press against their gums rather than bash against the delicate enamel.

"That's just how it works?" That was an even worse answer than his other one. "What happens is that when you move the reins, as long as you do it gently, it gives the horse a little nudge inside their mouth, letting them know which way you want their head to point. You could tug on the straps across their face I suppose, but every little nudge would rub and chafe, and I think that would probably be uncomfortable. Mouths are pretty resilient things though, they're used to have stuff in there moving about, and the metal is pretty smooth so it isn't going to rub against anything. I don't really know enough about riding in these parts of the world to know why they decided to do it this way, instead of how it is back in Endrykas, but they've been doing it for hundreds of years, and no one seems to have come up with a better option, so I'm sure they must have had a good reason for thinking of it in the first place."

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Drusilla on December 5th, 2014, 3:37 pm

"But Solo here grew up in Wind Reach and Nari, yet you talk to him in Pavi..." Drusilla mused. He had just undid himself with that comment. She turned to the horse who was now sniffing her hair attempting to figure out what this wall crawling creature was no doubt. "Brother Zhol is saying contradictory things about you. Isn't he silly Solo, my friend?" She asked Solo.

While what Zhol said answered the questions, it also didn't. Horses or rather their tacks were confusing. Solo not so much, he was fuzzy, liked her hair, and enjoyed peaches. But all the strange leather and doodads and thingamajigs made no sense at all. She sat down and paged through one of the books she had borrowed hoping that reading why things were done would help. But they didn't. Solo seemed to have followed her as she felt him sniffing her hair again plus he now smelled like peaches and the scent had gotten stronger as the sniffing began.

Drusilla turned to look at the horse, they had big eyes she noted. But their eyes had a soft look about them, almost warm. "Pretty eyes." She cooed at the colt. "Hey Zhol, who owns Solo?"
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

Postby Zhol on December 5th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Zhol mustered an embarrassed smile. "I talk to him in Pavi," he conceded, with a hesitant note in his voice, "But that isn't the same. When we are around the stables, or when we are having a conversation, I do not know Nari well enough for Solo to be able to understand me; but Solo does not need to understand the exact words, because he can tell my meaning from my voice. The words that are important, like friend, he hears often enough to understand what they mean; but for the rest, it matters more that I can speak fluently, be true to myself, and convey what I mean with how the words sound, not just as they are. Instructions are different, because they need to be specific; but with conversations and feelings, Solo is smart enough to work out what I mean even if he doesn't understand every single word."

His expression faltered, a slight downturn at the corners of his mouth as his thoughts strayed elsewhere, to other people. "It is difficult to tell someone how you really feel when you don't know the right words in their language to explain it."

His shoulders sunk slightly as he snuck out a subtle sigh, disguised as as a gentle breath. That wasn't a conversation he wanted to stray into, especially not with his new sister. Khara had told him about how she and Drusilla had met recently; and Zhol was terrified of arming the Symenestra with any knowledge that she might accidentally - or intentionally - let slip.

He turned his attention to her question instead. "I'm not sure," he admitted. "The stables, I think? Most of the horses that live here permanently are owned by the city. People in Wind Reach don't think much of horses, so few people actually own any."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on December 7th, 2014, 7:47 pm

"[color=#FFBF00]Drusilla stopped to think and knew he didn't just mean horses. She remembered the game scout, and how utterly adorable she was. Perchance...? She'd give it a try, "The other day I met the cutest little game scout. Her name was... Khara, yes that's what it was! Said she'd heard of you. Sweet little chickadee, isn't she? Honestly we sat and talked for the longest time and I mended her bag. Does she take lessons here? I'm not gonna lie you two would be cute together, but that's just your sister talking." That would be enough, Khara had sworn the girl spoke of was a fellow stable worker. However the Symenestra had her doubts.

"Now for not speaking the right language, I can help with that." She rummaged through the books she had pulling two one on Pavi and the other on Nari, she handed the Nari book to him. "I had been skimming through this book on Pavi when I noticed a book on Nari in a foreign tongue. It looked familiar then I noticed it was written in Pavi. This swirly character I recognized. I found other Pavi scripted book there too in the enclave. On various things, but I only picked up this one. Seems a horseman was here before and wanted to teach future ones the words of the bird people. Here, just take it to the enclave when you're done with it."

"Now as for me, put those metal trappings away. You said a horse can be rode just with a blanket? I'll try that, seems like less stress for Solo." She played with the horse's mane. "If what you said earlier is right about feelings behind words... Well I'll just let him walk and see where he takes me." She gave Zhol a smile. "How much do you think he'll sell for once full grown?"
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Zhol on December 9th, 2014, 4:14 am

Zhol was not an expert on religious lore, or on the mystical origins of the cosmos, but he had a theory. His theory was that in ancient times, a great and powerful goddess looked down upon mankind and said: No, you are not suitably embarrassed; and that was the moment when the first elder sibling was created. He wasn't sure how it was done, precisely; wasn't sure what magical power or special quality gave them their abilities; but it was a universal truth that no single embarrassment was more squirm-inducing than the kind that a sister could cause.

Trying to muster a response to Drusilla's question was a brutal challenge. He didn't want to utter a lie: he'd spent far too long telling those to himself, and his new sister deserved better than that. At the same time though, the idea of telling her everything, about how he felt and why he shouldn't, felt as if he'd burst into flames if he ever said it out loud. "She's just a friend," he assured; but true as that was to say, Zhol couldn't help feel a disappointed sadness at having to.

Fortunately, the book that Drusilla presented sideswiped any other thoughts and feelings clean out of him. Dru had already helped him with Nari more than anyone else in Wind Reach had, but that had been casual and convenient, part of conversation and not any particularly special effort. But this? Drusilla had gone out of her way to help him. This wasn't what people did, not for him. Sure, Zhol had known plenty of kind and caring people; but being kind when in proximity, and being caring enough to do something for a person when they weren't even there, thinking of them when you didn't have to, going to extra lengths for entirely selfless reasons without even the faintest hint of necessity or obligation? It was quite possibly the single kindest thing anyone had ever done for him, and he had absolutely no idea what to say.

"Thank you," he stammered out, and couldn't think of a time when those words had ever felt more insufficient. He was at a loss for anything else to say though, and so dutifully obeyed Drusilla's instruction, returning the bit and bridle to it's hangar, and fetching a sturdy llama wool blanket. His mind was too busy to mention how much more difficult it would be for Drusilla; how much more of a struggle it would be for her to even stay on let alone control anything; or how much of a struggle it would be if Solo bolted, and there was nothing to grab hold of to help try and steer him home. It didn't seem right to mention any of those things; it seemed ungrateful of her gesture to do anything but exactly what she wanted.

Zhol wasn't expecting another question, and it took a few moments before he even realised that's what it was. "How much?" It wasn't ever something Zhol had considered, really: buying and selling horses was a part of the stables he wasn't particularly privy to, and Zhol had never had a reason to pester Hansi for that kind of information before. "It depends, I suppose. He's a bit of a mongrel mix, so he probably isn't too expensive. A few hundred mizas - pinions - I guess?" He winced a little at having to correct himself on the currency that Wind Reach used. Not that there was a difference numerically, but still. He scratched at the back of his neck, still trying to fathom out a more helpful answer. "We lost a lot of horses during the famine and the riots though, and it's going to take us years to breed those numbers back. Hansi might want to charge a little extra - enough to replace Solo with a couple of fancier purebreds, maybe."

He shrugged, disappointing himself for not being more helpful. "Depends on how good your negotiation skills are, I suppose."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on December 9th, 2014, 11:55 am

Drusilla nodded at Zhol's responds, "Well I find her absolutely adorable. I hope you two stay close. She's the sweetest little thing." She was paging through the Nari to Pavi. Drusilla made a hand sign, "Horse... Solo is horse. Solo is a horse. Solo is a horse." Paging through the book she gave some more phrases a try. "Greetings, I am Zhol's su.. sa.. si-su-ter.. sisuter... sister.."

A smile donned on Drusilla's face from Zhol's reaction to the book as she thumbed through her own, "Copy maybe one should you make." She laughed, "I butchered that sentence! I'll try again." She cleared her throat. "Ma-Maybe... You.. Should.. Ma-make..A..C-copy. Maybe you.. Should make... A copy... Maybe you should make a copy?" That sounded right. "How fascinating! Learning to speak something new! Getting to speak to people you would of never before!" She looked at the other books pulled from her bag, "I have one on horses, one on the creatures in the sea of grass, and one on reminancy."

"Heh, it's okay I still use Miza more than pinion. A mongrel mix?! That's an awful way to describe him! His bloodline... is... just well rounded." She smiled. "That sounds nicer, don't you think?" Drusilla looked at the horse, "You'll miss him if someone buys him and don't say otherwise, I know you will." She would have to speak to this Hansi at some point... "But he's too young to sell right now right? How long will that last?" If she could get her Avoraship accepted, with the pay increase.. Perhaps within a few seasons...

Drusilla closed the book she had been paging through. She pushed it aside and took to removing her dress leaving her in her wraps. "I certainly don't think I can ride in that dress. Can you help me up on him? Don't worry I'm much lighter than I look."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Zhol on December 10th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Zhol was glad that Drusilla's efforts at Pavi brought a continuous, irresistible smile to his face; it was much better that than the hot, red-faced reaction he would have otherwise had to Drusilla talking about Khara. He desperately wanted to agree, to blurt out how Drusilla's words were an understatement, to actually be able to share with someone the way that he felt; but not Drusilla, not when she was so set on alluding that Khara and he would make a perfect pair. He wished that it were true, but it couldn't be. That fact, convinced as he was of it, was something else he couldn't bring himself to share: if he admitted how he felt, and told Drusilla all the reasons why it could never be, he wasn't sure that the tiny flickering spark of hope that still lingered in his chest would manage to keep glowing.

He focused on readying Solo instead. The saddle blanket went on first, folded over to provide Solo and Drusilla as much cushioning from each other's bones as possible. He thought about the added problems Drusilla was making for herself in order to not inconvenience the colt; no reins and no stirrups seemed like a recipe for disaster for a total novice; at least Drusilla would have Zhol there to catch her, if she lost her balance and took a tumble the way he was afraid she would.

He considered her thoughts about Solo as he turned his attention to the colt's halter. While this particular article of tack looked similar to the bridle, it was far simpler and less intrusive. A halter wasn't designed for steering, and so had no bit or reins; it was for leading, just a few simple straps that a lead rope to help guide Solo from the stables to the indoor riding arena, and encourage him from setting off towards adventures in directions he shouldn't be going.

"It depends who buys him, I suppose," Zhol speculated, careful not to make it seem like he would miss Solo: true as that might be, he certainly wasn't going to let the colt hear that. "If he's bought by someone in the city, I'll still be the one looking after him, though I suppose I won't get to ride with him as much as we do right now. Still, there's plenty of time before that happens. Once winter has come and gone, Solo will be old enough to start getting serious with his training. We'll work on his endurance, get him used to riding longer distances, carrying more than just a rider; the kind of stuff that someone would want to buy a horse like him for."

His smile grew a little as the positive half of a recent memory crept into his mind. "Maybe I'll even buy him, if I can save enough pinions over the winter. I got the chance to visit Thunder Bay earlier this season, and while Solo isn't quite the same as hitching a ride on a Wind Eagle, and while there was some -" He hesitated, trying to think of a diplomatic way to describe his encounter with Azira. "- unpleasantness, Thunder Bay is a beautiful place. All of Kalea is, really. Perhaps Solo and I will do a little travelling beyond the city, once the snows are behind us."[/color]

Still, those were thoughts for another time. He turned to Drusilla, and considered the best way to het his sister sitting up where she needed to be. "Put your hands flat on his back at either end of the blanket," he instructed, "As close to his spine as possible; you want your weight to be as balanced on him as possible." He turned himself sideways, crouching with one foot still beneath him, one stretched behind, ready to boost Dru upwards. He laced his fingers together. "Put your left foot in my hands," he said, "And on the count of three, I'm going to boost you up; and you're going to push down with your hands and swing your right leg over Solo's back until you're sitting up there. One quick, fluid movement."

He offered Drusilla a reassuring boost in his smile. "Sounds complicated, but I've seen how graceful you move; this will be easy. Ready? One. Two. Three!"

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on December 10th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Drusilla placed her hands on the colt's back, and hesitantly gave Zhol her foot. She nodded at his instructions, praying she didn't make a fool of herself. On 'three' her leg went over the side of the horse and she found herself on the beast's back. Looking from the horse to Zhol then back to the horse. She had made it up and was now slightly terrified yet proud, but what did she do now?

Even Solo himself seemed to look at Zhol with said question. The crawly thing that had given him peaches was on his back, now what? Drusilla sat pale as pale on the dark horse, her own long hair falling besides Solo's. She and Turrin's eagle Aponivi often joked over which was longer his tail feathers or Drusilla's hair. Now that joke could be used for her and Solo both had long hair and now with Dru atop him the two had merged into a long haired creature.

As the Symenestra finally began to calm down she came to realize just how much longer her arms were than Zhol's or any human's for that matter. She had a much better reach of Solo. How silly she would of looked using that one contraption the horse bit on! Her arms would of been scrunched up something awful and gotten stiff. Now comfortable she spoke, "Good horse. Good Solo. Good Pryza. Nice and gentle now, I've never done this before. You look just as confused as me.."

"After this brother wants to braid your hair and I bought some glass beads for the braids. I couldn't find any feathers I liked, sorry.
" She was now talking to a horse... People would think she had lost some of her wits... Speaking to a horse.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Zhol on December 10th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Zhol didn't bother trying to stop a new smile as he straightened up, watching his Symenestra sister make herself comfortable. Forget about Solo: perhaps he should have offered to braid her mane, to tuck it safely out of the way. He hoped it would cause her any problems; though he supposed that if she could wander around on the ceiling without it being an issue, a little slow horse ride wouldn't be too much of a problem.

He ducked for a moment, scooping the coil of rope from the floor and slinging it over his shoulder. He'd attach the longe line to Solo's halter when they arrived at the indoor arena; for now, Zhol wrapped his hand around a much shorter length of rope, ready to lead Solo through the tunnels to their destination.

"You okay up there?" he asked, making sure she caught the full force of his smile, plenty of pride directed towards his sister. "Keep your back straight, but try and relax the rest of you as much as you can. You need your back and your head to stay as upright as possible, so you need to let the rest of you move and flex as Solo does. Keep your hips nice and loose -" He demonstrated with a little wiggling shimmy of his own hips for emphasis. "- and try not to grip with your legs, else Solo is going to think you want to go faster."

He took a few steps to bring him around to Solo's right side, the rope held firmly in his left hand, his body facing the direction they were about to move. He shifted, placing a gentle, reassuring pat on Solo's nose, before looking further over his shoulder to Dru. "We're going to start walking now, nice and slowly, okay? Just stay nice and relaxed. As long as you don't tense up, everything will be fine."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on December 11th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Drusilla was very aware of Zhol's smile. He was beaming with pride. It wasn't something she was used to, at least not towards her. She felt the rush of blood to her cheeks which did nothing helpful for her skin color... Stay aloof! Chin up or look away! "F-fine. I am f-fine." She had chose the latter of the two and turned her focus away from Zhol. Although she was pretty sure the damage was already done. Letting a younger see you blush with siblings wasn't a good idea, then they had you... But his smile and how proud he really was.. It was endearing. This human boy... She'd take on the world if she had to for him. Her brother.

She nodded at Zhol's instructions, she sat up straight but left her body loose. Drusilla felt she was doing well until Zhol did his little butt shake and she lost it. She tried to speak in between giggles, "T-t-tha-that is a be-beau-tiful dance you got going there Zhol! Oh, I think I might cry..." Once her giggles were over, she readied herself again.

"Okay, I'm ready. Just stay loose and relax. Everything will be fine..." She reassured herself out loud. She could do this! She had done so many things much harder than this, and yet thisit was terrifying.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets