Closed All the Pretty Horses (Drusilla)

Drusilla visits the Skyhigh Stables.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

All the Pretty Horses (Drusilla)

Postby Zhol on February 20th, 2015, 2:19 am

Zhol wasn't sure what surprised him more: Drusilla's sadness, or the fact that the words of consolation that she quoted had come from Azira. At first he wondered if he had perhaps misheard; or perhaps there was another Azira in Wind Reach, better inclined to such sympathy, softness, and sincerity. But then, hadn't he always suspected there was more to her than violence and anger? Hadn't he even accused her outright of that? Here was proof; and it was irrefutable. Azira's kindness towards Khara earned her tolerance and leniency in Zhol's mind, but there was always the suspicion that it was born out of selfish interest, the huntress's need for a reliable scout; but to offer sympathy to Drusilla, over something so sensitive? Zhol's understanding of her shifted utterly.

But he could worry about Azira later. Right now, Drusilla needed and deserved all of his focus. He stepped a little closer, placing a hand gently on Drusilla's arm without hesitation or trepidation. "I didn't know you when we first met," he countered. "I didn't think you were a monster then, either, because Azira is right - you aren't one."

He felt a little edge of anger and irritation creep into his voice, aimed at the people who were responsible for filling Drusilla's head with such broken notions. "So what if you aren't human? Trust me, I'm one of them, and it's really not all that great. What you can do, your climbing, all the other things that set you apart? You shouldn't hide them. They don't make you different, they make you special. Your eyes are incredible; so striking; you can't help looking at them. They're honest too, kind and sympathetic, just like you are. Your hair is wondrous, and absolutely screaming to be braided. So what if your arms are different? They let you climb walls. No one else around here can do that; people should look at you with envy."

He paused, and frowned. "One of the few good things about Endrykas is that there's no such thing as a Drykas. As in, it's not a race, or a species, or anything like that. If you have windmarks, you are accepted; you become a Drykas regardless of what you were before. The reason I wasn't afraid of you when we first met is because I never learned to be. I never learned to be judgemental, to shun the outcasts, or anything else that the Inarta do. That just proves that the problem is with them; there's nothing wrong with you."

Carefully he slid back his sleeve, and held his arm out so that Drusilla could see. He delved into himself, reaching for the inner candle that he used to visualise his soul, willing the molten wax to flow into his arm, and seep from his pores. As always his eyes were closed, screwed shut in concentration. "I never really get to see these," he explained, as the dark res began to flow and swirl between his skin, the patterns shifting like branches growing and unfurling, lightning fast; like waves sweeping across the sea of grass. "It's hard to concentrate if I open my eyes, so I only ever get a glimpse, but -"

Slowly the res flowed towards his palm, and as his brow furrowed slightly deeper in focus, a flickering flame burst into life for a split second, before a flick of Zhol's wrist extinguished it before it could do any harm to his skin.

"- where I came from, it was doing that which made me the monster. You know that I'm not; and not just because you know me. You don't judge. You don't hate. You are better than that; better than each and every one of the Inarta that look at you with fear or scorn. The fault lies with them, though. They are the ones who are broken."

He managed to muster a small smile; one he hoped would offer a glimmer of comfort. "Don't hide yourself away for their benefit. You are beautiful. Be yourself, and be proud to be."

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Drusilla on February 20th, 2015, 4:46 am

Amethyst eyes looked down all Zhol, she hadn't meant to upset him so. A soft smile grazed her face and she ruffled his hair. "I still think it would be nice to eat cakes and normal food. I will always think that would be better than how I eat." Drusilla grinned.

She played with Zhol's hair, "Verda, I didn't mean to upset you so... Forgive me." Using the long arms that they were just discussing Drusilla leaned over and wrapped her brother in a hug. She paused unsure if she should say what she wanted, "Verda. I... know I am not the twin sister you left behind. But know this, I will protect you just like I was. I will be your pavilion and nothing will burn us down, because we will live like we are on fire and one day our fire will be so great even your blood kin will be in awe."

She let go of Zhol and straightened up on Solo, "Come on Verda, Solo deserves his braids. Per chance... you wouldn't have any ink back in the stables? I need it for something. Also, wait never mind... I won't need it." She gave a small laugh what an airhead she could be! She nudged Solo into movement as they headed back to the stables.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

Postby Zhol on February 21st, 2015, 12:53 am

Ink? What the petch did they need ink for?

Zhol frowned, but only for a moment. He muscled past it, and offered Drusilla a smile. "No need to ask for forgiveness," he assured. "You are my sister. My family. My -" His smile grew slightly. "My web. Forgiveness is yours, always, no matter what."

Lazily he coiled the slack in the rope around his arm, walking in step beside Drusilla as she steered Solo back towards the stables. Another smile tugged at his features as he considered how quickly Drusilla had changed from clinging out of reach on the ceiling to sitting comfortably atop the colt as if she had been born there. Granted, a little walking and trotting was hardly expert riding, but if she continued to pick things up so quickly, well... perhaps he might find himself with some company, to make his rides a little less lonesome.

"Okay then," he announced, as they emerged from the warrens back into the stables; he blinked as his eyes began to adjust to the change, from the dimmer light of the tunnels to the daylight streaming in from the stables' open doors. Here was an added problem of riding without a saddle; beyond the control, and beyond the comfort, there were factors such as simple convenience to be considered. Mounting and dismounting a horse without stirrups was an acquired skill, requiring a considerable amount of acrobatics; even with stirrups, very few novice riders managed it with any amount of grace, and usually wound up stuck in all manner of embarrassing poses.

Zhol tightened his grip on Solo's rope, bracing against it so that the colt didn't have enough slack to try and flee. "Now for the tricky part - you're going to need to get down from there."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on February 22nd, 2015, 4:27 pm

Was dismounting a horse so hard? Thinking it over in her head Drusilla couldn't find a reason why. She looked at Zhol questioningly, "It doesn't seem too hard... But you could be right.." After all this was just a speculation on her part, while Zhol had dismounted a horse well over a million times probably. So how was she going to do this?

She leaned back, placing her hands further down on solo's torso. Carefully she lifted a leg over the colt so that both legs were on the same side. Drusilla shifted to sitting side saddle. With a little push she slid off the colt and onto her feet. She wasn't sure if this had been the right way of getting off a horse... But it had worked well enough. "Erm... Ta-da? Was that right? How I did it?"

"Well, I'm off the horse either way. Now where did I put those beads and my dress.." With that Drusilla went about searching for her bag and other items. She found her dress somewhere in the serching and dressed as she continued to gather her things. "Did you find any ink, Verda?" She asked absentmindedly. A shoe was found and put on, then the other. Finally the beads were found along with her bag and the books. She returned to Zhol handing him the beads.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Zhol on February 25th, 2015, 3:58 am

Those long Symenestra arms came in handy, it seemed; it might not have been the most graceful of dismounts that Zhol had ever seen, but at least it was an effective one, and he supposed that at the end of the day that was all that mattered. Solo seemed a little confused by it, not quite accustomed to the weight on his back shifting the way it did; not that he was accustomed to all that much, of course - he wouldn't be a stallion for a few seasons yet, and so his training to accept a rider had only begun this year.

"Close enough," Zhol answered with a smile, hitching Solo to a convenient post. He should probably return Solo to one of the fresh, vacant stalls that the stable hands prepared each day for the horses to be shuffled into; but if they were going to be attending to Solo's braids, they were better off with all the space they could get.

He frowned at Drusilla's question. What did they need ink for, anyway? He fumbled through his mind, trying to remember were he might have seen some; a quick peek into the tack room and he found a two thirds empty vial beside the journal where the stables kept track of which items needed to be sent to the artisans to be repaired. Those were some of the first few Nari words that Zhol had learned to read; an impenetrable necessity that had been his first steps on the road to understanding the language.

"This any good?" he asked, holding the vial out so Drusilla could see.

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on February 25th, 2015, 5:03 am

Drusilla smiled, "That shall be more than enough!" She took hold of her brother's arm. "Stay still now, if you move you'll mess it up." She took the quill in her hand, "Have you ever really watched a spider spin her web? She starts by weaving strong supports so that no matter the strength of any wind her web will not waver." She touched the quill to Zhol's arm drawing a large X on his arm. "Verda, have you ever noticed how often you look at your blank arm and how it always steals your smile?" Over the X, she drew a +. "But a web is nothing if all it has are strong anchors. The spider takes these anchors and connects them together. She starts small, but the connections grow as does her web." Drusilla started in the center of her 'web' and connected the lines. As she got farther along the connects became larger and longer.Just so members of a web hold tight to one another too." Along one of the connections, she wrote in her finest Symenos. "Ver-da!" The next connection was left blank, she wrote one the third "Chick-a-dee!" Once more she skipped one and on the next wrote "Sibea-zira!" The next skipped, then two spaces from Verda she wrote her own name, "Drusilla!" She drew in the last connector.

Drusilla put the ink down, although she still held Zhol's arm still. "You leave some spaces for the web to grow. Verda, I cannot give you the windmark you desire deep down.. Nor can I stand to watch you stare longingly at your arm either... So wear your family there instead, because we are a sure thing. Never look at that arm and be sad! Because, stronger than the wind and storm are we!" Once she was sure the ink had dried she let go and gave Zhol back his arm. She pointed to the strange writing,"Verda, Chickadee, Azira, and me."

She smiled and turned her attention to Solo, "Now it's your turn to be prettied up!" Gathering three strands of hair Drusilla slipped a bead up one and began to braid, stopping only to add another bead to the braid. Her long nimble fingers made it easy work and while she didn't know any of Zhol's fancy braids she did know the basics.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Zhol on February 25th, 2015, 7:08 am

Zhol's state melted from confusion into panic as the quill pressed against the inside of his arm, the ink beginning to mark his skin in the patterns that Drusilla described. Every fibre of his being screamed in protest, a lifetime of Drykas teachings condemning him for allowing this falsehood, these fake windmarks to be drawn upon his skin.

He listened to the sentiment as Drusilla as she explained it - the web, the connections, the importance - and it was touching, true: his bare arm did steal his smile, but it stole it for a reason, and that wasn't a reason that a few lines and letters could write away. It was about more than just an empty arm; more than just inkless skin; more than just not having the windmarks that he wished were there. It was about what their absence represented: it was about him never being chosen; it was about him never having amounted to anything; it was about him being an outsider, a waste of space, even in the city where he had been born.

Drusilla's motive and reasoning was touching; at the same time though, even it was a sad reminder. Chickadee - was that what Drusilla had called Khara earlier? There she was, drawn in ink as family, rather than the something else that Zhol secretly wished she were. Azira meanwhile? She and he couldn't have been further from family; the huntress hated him as far as he could tell. He was part of this web, yes, and he was honoured to be; but not just in Endrykas, not just in Wind Reach, but even here in his new family he still felt like an outsider who didn't quite belong.

He hid that realisation though; buried it deep, out of reach of his eyes and expression. He mustered a smile - a genuine one even, though smaller than he might have liked - and aimed it at Drusilla. What the mark meant within Zhol's mind didn't matter; more important was what it meant to Dru, and the message she was using it to try and convey. It was a mark of acceptance, from her at least; and that was important.

"Thank you, sister," giving the drawing one final conflicted look, before stepping around to the far side of Solo's neck, and beginning to braid as well.

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on February 25th, 2015, 10:27 pm

She had upset him and while most would of been fooled by his attempt to hide it. Drusilla was not most. The silence surrounded them and she found it deafening. Every attempt to end it was pushed back in her mind. Hey, tomorrow's my birthday would you.... No no.. So tomorrow just so happens... Nope. She shot down any and all remarks. No, she wouldn't tell him, after today she wasn't even sure if he'd want anything to do with her.

After a few more braids, she stood abruptly, "Sorry I need to get going. Today is the day I clean the Aeries. I'd hate for Turrin to come home to cobwebs and such..." Her voice wavered slightly and she mentally kicked herself for it. She gathered her things leaving Zhol the book she had found and a few peaches for Solo. "See you later, Zhol." And with that she was gone. He could wash the ink off. It didn't matter.

ledgerNot sure how much for a small bag of beads and some overly ripe peaches.. 1.5gm? If you think you have a better price let me know.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 4th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Zhol

Observation +1
Socialization +3
Teaching +5
Horsemanship +4
Anthropology +1
Rhetoric +2

Drusilla: Polite to Horses
Drusilla: Climbs walls
Symenos: ‘Pryza’ means friend
Drusilla: Unconditionally helpful
Symenestra: Cannot use reigns
Drusilla: Feels like an outcast
A web instead of windmarks

Drusilla

Socialization +4
Observation +2
Riding (horses) +5
Horsemanship +1
Rhetoric +2
Interrogation +2
Anthropology +3
Drawing +1

Solo: Pretty colt
Solo: Likes peaches
Riding: Tack
Different ways of riding horses
Solo: Well-rounded bloodline
Riding without a saddle
Riding: Correct posture
Riding: Giving directions with legs
Drykas: Chosen by Striders
Drykas: Their windmarks and braids
Zhol: Feels like an outcast

Notes

Thank you for this touching thread! I enjoyed reading about their insecurities. You were great at bringing character development into a training and learning thread too. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous