Closed [Squire Dormitories] Life Adjustment (Ball)

Cantillion moves into the Squire Dormitories and meets one of his dormmates, Ball.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Squire Dormitories] Life Adjustment (Ball)

Postby Cantillion on October 7th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Image.
10th of Fall, 514 AV

Cantillion walked slowly towards his barracks, looking for the one he had been assigned to as he did, with a longbow in one hand and a pack in the other. He wasn't entirely certain what to think when he was told he would be living with other Squires. These were people he had never met before, after all.

He wasn't really worried about whether they were mean or not. Living with cruel people was something he could endure, if he had to.
Yes, you have to, his patron's voice resounded in his mind. Sergeant Mage-Knight Dra-Nelsa had broken any hopes for a friendly relationship between student and teacher earlier that day. She insisted he would be too exhausted to care about the Squires living around him most days, regardless of his reluctance to sleep in the same room.

At last, Cantillion reached the door. He hesitated for a moment, taking a deep breath and trying to compose himself. A nearby door opened, and his head snapped to see who it was; just two Squires. Young boys, chatting happily as they passed him. And suddenly, it hit him like a brick to the head.
I'm too old to be a Squire. But that wasn't true, was it? He had been accepted, hadn't he? Dra-Nelsa hadn't burst out laughing at the sight of him, or made any comments about his age. Still, he couldn't help but remember that children could be just as cruel as their parents. His grip on the longbow tightened in fear, but his other hand reached out to open the door.

Still, he hesitated.
What if they want to know where I'm from? he asked himself. Cantillion had made the mistake of explaining himself mere days ago, only to be met with revolt, his own fears reflected in the face of another. Would the Knights and Squires of this city be any different? Would they reflect his fears and make them even greater than before? Or would they shun him for his cowardice, having run away from his monsters after slaying one from behind? Something else, he decided. Something normal. Something happy.

He frowned, realizing he didn't really have any normal, happy tales to draw from. Only hunter's tales, brutal and heroic, which would be quickly debunked the moment his claims were put to the test. Cantillion's mind drifted back to the caravan that had gotten him to Syliras some days ago. They were nice folks, if a bit shady, travelling to make their living from city.

"Here we go," he braced himself, nodding slightly as if to cheer himself forward. He reached out a hand and opened the door, stepping inside.

Am I active? Check my Scrapbook! | Contribute to my nightmares!
Cantillion
So Perfectly Cantillion

Words: 34477
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 2:39 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ball on October 15th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Sleep was something Ball had wanted dearly, his mind was so puzzled with his training the past few weeks, or lack there of actually, and his forfeit during the Shield Games early last season that he hasn't been able to sleep, so when the blissfulness that is slumber wrapped it's embrace around the pycon it was rather annoying for Imass to start his obnoxiously loud barking. The squire grumbled and tried to yank the blanket towards his head, to cover his nexus in the embracing warmth of his blacket but the dog was much larger and heavier than he. Usually this motion though was enough to quiet the dog back down.

Yet that is when the dog was barking in his own realm of slumbering dreams, facing off against whatever dogs bark at in their dreams. Unfortunately the dog wasn't sleeping and it's barking grew louder as Ball realized that the dog was actually standing on the blanket, from the pressure placed in different locations on the blanket Ball could tell Imass was standing and hunched, back legs were spread enough and set to spring at the door, where as the front legs were spread further and stiff, this the squire knew was done as an attempt to look and sound much larger than the dog truly was. The door handle's jiggling finally registered in the pycon's nexus and Ball shifted under the blankets to allow for maximum lifting ability when the mount launched itself off of the bed.

The door creaked open, at the edge that Ball was pretty concealed fromhe could see the light from the corridor spilling into the room and that it when Imass jumped off the bed. It was in the split second of dog leaving the bed that Ball pushed the full blanket off his body and the bed as he pushed his whole five pound mass from a laying position to airborne. Luckily for the newcomer the blanket dropped on the dog and the dog went down to the ground with a muffled yelp of surprise and then a scrambling of paws to regain footing and dig itself out from underneath the fabric pile.

Ball, however, wasn't so easy to stop. Once airborne the pycon was essentially a living dense mass of projectile made of clay. When the door came fully open the squired clay being saw it was boy, age wasn't Ball's strong point at this moment, and the fact that it was a boy barely registered, the first thing that did register was the bow.

Armed! And that was when Ball's hand went outward to be placed before his body. If the newcomer was observing enough he would notice that Ball was aiming for the chest or hand gripping the wood of the bow.

OOC :
Sorry for such a late response. Let me know if there is more that needs to be added so you can respond more appropriately.

Created goes to EuthisaImage
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Cantillion on October 17th, 2014, 2:59 am

Image.

As he started to open the door, Cantillion heard the sound of a dog barking. Judging from its volume, this dog was huge. He hadn't had much experience with hunting hounds in the past, but there was no doubt this dog was a monster in size, just from the sounds it was making at his entrance. "H...Hello?" he managed to get out, though his murmur didn't seem to carry over the dog's constant barking. When he didn't get a response, he took a deep breath.

Why should I be worried? he thought. This wasn't an inn, and the people living here weren't random strangers. They were Squires. Future Syliran Knights, protectors of this fortress. Surely, whoever lived in the same room as he did would be a kind and gentle soul. Wait, no, he corrected himself, as he imagined his patron looking down at him with crossed arms and shaking her head in disappointment. While there were likely some kind and gentle Knights in the Order, it was hardly a requirement. And what if some of the other Squires weren't destined to become Knights? What if they were like he was, and they wandered in out of the blue, without so much as a single concept of what it meant to be a protector of other people?

Cantillion took another deep breath, preventing himself from letting his imagination get the better of his actions. Ultimately, it didn't much matter what other Squires were like. He would do what he was told to do by his patron, Dra-Nelsa, and he would learn magic as a result. There was no room for debate between those terms. He steeled his resolve in silence, as the dog continued to bark. With another deep breath, he slowly pushed the door open. He heard the dog yelp briefly, as if it had been admonished.

Before he had any time to say anything, someone had thrown something small at him. There was no real time to react; all Cantillion could manage was a widening of the eyes and a sharp intake of breath. Without even thinking, his hands tightened into fists and his body began to lean back. The bow was tight in his grip as his heartbeat raced in his ears, his vibrant, green eyes lighting up like emerald candles. His other hand, still held fast to the door handle, began to pull the door back closed, moving with the rest of his body involuntarily. Any assurances he had been given about living with other Squires had ceased to mean anything.

Cantillion
So Perfectly Cantillion

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ball on October 24th, 2014, 9:23 pm

"My Speaking" My Thoughts

OOCCant stated in chat that results of the attack was up to me.

The door came swinging shut when the person coming in saw Ball coming at him. Luckily for Cantillion too for the door's shutting forced Ball to have to slow himself down by forcing his body into a backwards spin. With Ball's small stature and the speed he was going at the squire managed to squeeze into the crack between door and door casing before colliding with the boy's hand, it wouldn't cause any major damage and no bruising to speak of, but it would surely be noticed and the bow would clatter if not caught properly.

Once the damage was done though Ball noticed the err of his way and dropped to the ground, looking up at the boy the squire grumbled and turned back to the door, “The chaperones said I would be having a fellow squire bunking with me. I usually suspected the new guy to show up before sleeping time usually.” Ball shrugged, “I'm Ball, come in I guess. Oh, and next time shoulder the bow, don't hold it in front of you.”

His voice grumbled and rumbled much like rocks being tossed about, it was clear he had just fell asleep before being woken up.

”Come on in, ignore Imass he is just a protector of a dog. You can have any bed but mine. Trunk at the foot of the bed you choose is there for your stuff. Enjoy.” As Ball spoke he motioned to his trunk, the lid was still open and the lit torches in the corridor outside of the dorm door cast their glow across the multitude of flat shiny surfaces known as mizas in the three inch squire's trunk.

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Cantillion on October 25th, 2014, 3:43 am

Image.

Try as he did, Cantillion's actions came too slowly, and his efforts were wasted as the little projectile collided with his hand, the impact leaving his bow to drop to the ground, the iron clanging as it settled on the ground. "Ahhh!" he hissed, grabbing his hand, throbbing with a dull pain. Whatever had hit him, it couldn't have been metallic. But then, he heard someone speaking to him -- presumably the one who had disarmed him -- but he couldn't see the source, looking into the room. It wasn't until he glanced down at the tiny...thing that was apparently leading him into the room that he realized the projectile that hit him wasn't some object thrown by another Squire, but the Squire...itself. And this bizarre Squire was reprimanding him for carrying a bow in his hands, instead of on his back.

Cantillion pushed the door open and, once he picked up the bow off the ground, stepped gingerly behind the thing that had introduced itself simply as "Ball". He briefly took a glance over at the dog, introduced as "Imass", whose loud barking he must have heard moments before, but couldn't stop staring down at the little creature.
"Er," he started, unsure of how to address his new acquaintance. "My name is Cantillion, and I don't mean to be rude, but," he hesitated again. "What are you, exactly?" He hoped his blunt question wouldn't offend, but he had a feeling that if he didn't just sort out what this person was right now, it would likely lead to some regretful misunderstanding later, and since this place would be his home for the foreseeable future, he didn't stand to gain anything from making enemies here.
Cantillion
So Perfectly Cantillion

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ball on April 2nd, 2015, 1:52 pm

Ball looked at the new squire that introduced themselves as ‘Cantillion’. Well the name didn’t stick long in Ball’s mind, as names rarely do and while the kid continued on prattling and then falling silent Ball’s thoughts were already on returning to sleep and then ultimately planning on answering questions in the morning. Yet the last statement the newcomer said made Ball pause in his sleep dominate thoughts and he turned back around slowly as he spoke, “I am Ball. A Pycon. You are Crazy Weapon Carrying Foolish Pycon. That’s who you are.” Yet as he finished turning around and looking back up at the place the squire was Ball frowned, he had fled.

It wasn’t entirely uncommon for such a thing to happen Ball assumed, after all he did lash out against the boy and that wasn’t fair to him at all. Ball sighed though and decided to just crawl back into bed, calling for his disposed dog earlier and allowed him to climb back into bed as well. It was time to return to sleep.

OOCCant, I figured this waited long enough for me to reply, but it appears you have moved on to non-Miz things. If ya return and want to thread again, feel free to PM Me

Created goes to EuthisaImage

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on April 8th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Grades are Served

Cantillion
Cantillion if you ever return to Mizahar PM me and I will happily award you your grades.

Ball
Skill XP
Observation 2
Unarmed Combat: Pyken 1
Acrobatics 2
Socialization 2
Intimidation 2
Tactics 1

Lores
  • Cantillion: New Roomate
  • Cantillion: Crazy Weapon Carrying Foolish Pycon
Extras :
Well if that's how Ball responds to someone opening the door remind me to knock! In all seriousness, was a fun little read and I'm sorry it got abandoned.

Don't forget to edit or delete your grade request in the grade request thread.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)