November Culinary Challenge

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Voodoo on November 2nd, 2014, 6:42 am

Ah November. A time to watch the seasons change as brilliantly colored leaves fall from the trees, preparing for the icy grip of winter. A time to pull out scarves, sip warm drinks, and give thanks for everything a person may cherish. A time to remem-- Who am I kidding? November is a time to eat anything and everything in sight, from turkey to stuffing, it all needs to get into one's belly. That is why the Council of Chefs is bringing back the Culinary Challenge in November (and Voodoo didn't drop the ball again).

This month, the mystery item is:
Potatoes

That is right Mizaharians. Time to go into the kitchen and cook the best thing you can think of involving potatoes. Here are the rules.

• Provide the name of the recipe you used. (This way, others in the future can enjoy your culinary masterpiece)
  • Pictures must be provided! There is no minimum on the number of pictures. Points to whoever makes a mess of themselves and takes a picture of it as well!
  • Your dish MUST meet this month's theme, be it in colors, ingredients, or otherwise.
  • You must have your dish completed by November 30, 2014 and have submitted the results to this thread.
  • Instant potatoes in a bowl does not count! Actually, instant potatoes in a recipe of any kind does not count. We want you to make it with feeling. Mash it, cut it, pound those spuds.

Set your timers and sharpen your knives! Ready, set, COOK! And may the spud be with you!

Voodoo
I'm known for ma graveside manner...

Words: 73986
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2014, 4:50 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on November 25th, 2014, 8:35 am

Whew, I made this just in time before Thanksgiving. Anyways... POTATOES!!!

My recipe that I decided to throw together is a wonderfully made Potato Pie, not sweet potato but ordinary potatoes, and regrettably I don't use exact measurements otherwise I could be more precise with amounts. The upside to that is that anybody who may end up trying this can experiment with it though and use whatever the hell they want to flavor it up with the spices, so let's get to the gritty fun part of this then!

You will need:
1 Bag of large potatoes
1 Cluster of Green Onions
2 Packages of Bacon
2 Bags of Shredded Mild Cheese

This is what the end conclusion should be:

I actually didn't use enough potatoes for this so the top layer isn't as thick as it should've been, but to start it off you will want to know how many people you want to feed first. Up to eight to ten potatoes should serve for a group of four people, the more there is though the more potatoes you'll need. I usually assume twelve to fourteen is a safe number and what's left over can just be made into mash potatoes afterwards. You'll want to peel the potatoes and chop them up, so that you can boil them while the other two ingredients are cooking. Since they'll spend their time boiling you can then focus on the bacon during the process, which will in turn play a part with the green onions once that is finished cooking.

So while the potatoes are boiling you'll want to shred the bacon into pieces while a cast iron skillet is ready, both packages of bacon will serve as part of the filling in the middle of the pie so you'll want to make sure you've plenty of it to fill the pie. (or pies if you're making more than one) Be sure that while you cook the bacon at high temperature that you don't cook it too fast, and definitely avoid cooking the bacon into a crispy form because you'll want it to be a chewy texture instead. Once the bacon is all done you can set it aside in a bowl and hold onto it while the potatoes are just about done, they should at least be close enough to where you can mash them if you so choose. Remember to leave the bacon grease in the skillet when you transfer the bacon onto a side dish, because that's where the green onions come in next.

Chop your green onions into slivers and then proceed to cook them in the bacon grease left in the skillet, you'll want them to simmer for a bit until they have a nice gold coloration to them. When that is done the potatoes should definitely be ready, and you can get to work on assembling your very own potato pie! Now how you decide to make it is entirely up to you, as you can either keep the potatoes chopped or go ahead and mash them up if preferred, and then use it to fill the dish you're using to make the pie. The potatoes serve as the crust of the pie, so whichever you think will stretch and make a better serving is all up to you. :)

First step is to layer the bottom of the dish or pan your using with potatoes, and then from there throw a layer of bacon on top of it, followed with the green onions layered onto that, and then pile a good layer of cheese onto that to add the filling of it. Before you proceed with the top layer of the pie you'll want to proceed to add whatever seasonings you want to use now, salt and pepper are the good basic ones you need and I actually like to add some parsley flakes in as well. The following image linked above highlights the process of layering the bacon and onions, when you've finished adding the cheese and whatever seasonings you'd like, you proceed to layer that with the final layer of potatoes that serves as the top of the pie. On top layer you'll add the seasonings used once more and then layer over it with the cheese that's left over, leaving this next image as the result of your homemade potato pie.

Now we're at the final step in making the potato pie, which won't take very long granted you'll only have one thing left to do. After your pie, or pies, have been assembled you need to preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and then place your pies in there to bake, give them about a good fifteen to thirty minutes to allow the potatoes to turn a golden brown. Once that is done they pies are ready to serve, after they cool down a bit, and the final result should be the very first image shone above. That's all it takes to make a potato pie, the amount of things like salt and pepper are more based on your personal preferences. To any that decide to make this I hope you find it enjoyable and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Firenze on November 26th, 2014, 3:14 am

Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes

My Recipe is Garlic Rosemary Roasted Potatoes. This is my most favorite way to make potatoes. I hope that you enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 Small bag (3 lbs) of Red potatoes
    (Yellow can be substituted)
  • A few cloves of Garlic
    (or a 2 1/2 teaspoons of jarred Garlic)
  • A few sprigs of Rosemary
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil

Fill a large pot with roughly 6-10 cups of water (enough to cover the tops of the potatoes).

While the water is coming to a boil, using the dull side of a knife crush the rosemary (don't chop it up) and then add to the water. Add in 3-4 cloves of garlic, or 2 1/2 teaspoons to the water and stir.

Wash the potatoes and cut into 1/4 pieces, then add to the boiling water.

Boil for 10 minutes.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Drain the water off and add the potatoes to a bowl, pour the 1/4 cup Olive oil over the potatoes and add a pinch of salt (1/2 teaspoon). Mix together until the potatoes are covered in a nice glaze.

Lay the potatoes out on a cooking sheet, make sure that they're evenly spread out.

Place in the oven for 30-45 minutes, occasionally checking. Once they've got a nice crispy brown, remove from the oven and...

...ENJOY!

I hope you Enjoy my recipe and have a
WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!!

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ubiquitous on December 3rd, 2014, 4:54 pm

Oh no. I missed it. :-(

I don't mean to brag, but I'm kinda like the potato wizard.

Does this happen every month? This seems fun.
Ubiquitous
Player

Words: 4934
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 7:53 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets