Closed Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Khara and Zhol continue to be adorable.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Zhol on December 9th, 2014, 7:45 am

Dear sweet mother of the maiden grass: was this really happening.

It didn't feel like a dream, but this wasn't any reality he had ever experienced either. He felt disconnected, as if he was watching everything unfold from behind himself, playing witness while someone else was in control of his body. His hand reached out, gently brushing the hair that Khara had toyed with in her usual brand of nervous distraction, tucking it aside behind her ear. All the hallmarks of normalcy were there, the way that Khara avoided his gaze, that bite of her lip; and yet somehow everything was different, as if everything suddenly had some new meaning that he hadn't comprehended before. There was something almost playful, almost teasing, almost flirtatious; so many almost things that were all equally and extremely unbelievable. There was no way that Khara - the girl who insisted that she wanted them to remain as they were forever, as friends and nothing else, the girl who until recently had struggled to be herself around him - could ever act that way about him. Yet when she had been at her saddest and most vulnerable, he had been the one person in Wind Reach that she had come to, the one person she said that she felt safe with. It was her who had invited him to share an intimate evening when the Watchtowers had changed; and then there was the way they had fallen at the lakes; the way they had awoken this morning; all those embraces, those moments of contact, those held hands, those lingering looks that he had always dismissed as being merely nervous glances. His insides writhed at the possibility of what might be: the prospect of waking beside her again and again; of enjoying the feel of her weight against him without the feeling of guilt that went alongside; of being able to take hold of her hand every time his fingers ached to; of being able to gaze into her eyes whenever he wanted without having to force himself to look away; to smile at her the way he always wanted to smile; to say the many thousands of things that threatened to burst out of his chest every second.

But no. It wasn't like that between them. Was it?

Of course it wasn't. Not after what had happened. Not after the reason that had brought her to his room that night. Not amid all the hurt and sadness and damage she still felt because of it. And, most of all, not because of who he was, what he was. An Avora had done that to her, just like so many did to so many others; an Avora, the same as Zhol. No matter how much Zhol wanted her to, it never quite seemed like Khara completely forgot that was what he was; and that, more than anything else, was why it wasn't like that between them. That was why it never could be.

But right now? He'd happily saw off his own leg and make himself a drudge, if it meant he could move just one inch closer to her, and ease the devastating, aching tightness in his chest.

He realised how long his fingers had lingered against Khara's cheek, not having strayed the way he'd expected them to after adjusting her hair. He tore them away slowly, fighting against the panicked urge to wrench his hand away in apologetic horror; letting it brush briefly across her shoulder and settle lightly against her arm; somehow managing to act as if it was the calmest, most natural thing that anyone had ever done.

"That sounds nice," he agreed, not entirely sure who was choosing his words for him, not entirely familiar with the tone in his voice, either. A warm smile graced his features, joy at being able to see her eyes again. "We can do anything you want."

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Khara on December 10th, 2014, 5:25 am

"Anything?" She asked teasingly before the realization of how the question sounded hit her and she found a small embarrassed laugh leave her and her gaze diverted away from Zhol's again. She hadn't meant it like that! Khara glanced at where Zhol's hand lingered on her arm before she pulled away slowly, letting his fingers slide down until they met her own. She thought of letting it linger there, to entwine his hand with hers and gently tug him with her as she descended to the next pool but something else won out and her fingers slipped away from his as she offered a meek smile before she left the salt bath.

The next wasn't too far and the waters were deeper and far warmer and Khara quickly allowed herself to sit and submerge most of her body into the comforting heat. A glance was given to follow Zhol until he joined her and even then she was having a hard time figuring out exactly where to keep her eyes. She decided to forgo the decision for a moment as she took a breath and brought her hands up cupping some of the water to run over her face and push back her hair before she let her head settle against the edge of the pool. Her eyes remained closed for a few more breaths as she tried to actually relax. It didn't matter though, usual nervous ticks that she had developed in recent days aside, the fact that Zhol was so close in proximity made it hard to do anything but be completely calm.

His entire demeanor had shifted, she knew it had. Something had changed so suddenly that she was quite certain it was only her head playing tricks on her, that she had to be misinterpreting things he was saying from an accent she thought she was overly familiar with hearing. Khara slowly let her eyes open as her head rolled to the side just slightly so she could look over to Zhol, trying to keep his gaze rather than letting herself begin wandering again.

"We should do this more often. I don't like coming here so much anymore on my own and it's somehow worse when it's actually empty. It's nice that you're here," The words were broken up and paused at awkward places as she tried to gather her thoughts into some sort of accurate meaning. It wasn't exactly what she wanted to tell him, but it would work for now. "I don't have to be scared so much."

"Nari" | "Common" | "Pavi"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Zhol on December 10th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Zhol's fingers twitched, moving a fraction of a second too late to take hold of her hand before it was gone. It was probably for the best that he didn't succeed: of all the times to risk revealing how he really felt, now was perhaps the worst, utterly exposed with nowhere to flee and nowhere to hide if Khara didn't feel the same, and his heart tore itself to sheds.

Dutifully he followed; fortunately, his loss of footing had provided him with a valid excuse to pay close attention to where he was putting his feet, which spared him any unfortunate glances at Khara. Not that glancing at Khara, that seeing her like this was unfortunate; quite the opposite in fact, especially with the way that all that time spent in the outdoors and on the move turned all of her contours into gentle curves of muscle and enticingly smooth skin, that made his fingers tingle at the mere prospect of running across them -

Zhol had never been so glad of a distraction as the one that Khara provided, her words slamming into his mind and sending all other thoughts reeling in every direction. He didn't even have time to feel embarrassed for the inappropriate thoughts that had permeated his mind: the guilt consumed everything.

He understood what Khara was saying, and what she meant. She'd told him before that he made her feel safe, and while he was utterly convinced that he didn't deserve it, the words didn't come as a surprise. What did was a realisation that he hadn't even considered. All these days spent sleeping in the same room, his mind had divided the day into two simple halves: the time when they were together, and the time when they were apart. For the most part, apart meant work: Khara would leave for her job, Zhol would leave for his; if he was lucky, apart ended in time to share a meal together, but more often than not it lasted until they both made it back to his room for the night. Not a day of work went by when Zhol didn't worry about Khara's safety, but the Avora responsible for harming her was inside the city, not out in the Unforgiving; Zhol had forced himself to accept that other people were responsible for Khara's safety when she passed outside the gates; that he couldn't expect himself to protect her when she was in places he wasn't supposed to be. It wasn't an easy process, but then it wasn't for him: he wasn't protecting her for his own peace of mind, it was for her sake; and so as much as he worried, as much as he wanted to do more, he had insisted upon himself that he would never try to force himself to be anywhere that Khara didn't want him or invite him to be.

But there had been an oversight; a selfish one at that. For Zhol, sneaking to the baths when they were mostly deserted was part of the work half of his day; his own discomfort at being seen unclothed making the subterfuge mandatory. Because his mind had categorised it as such, it hadn't occurred to him that for Khara it might be different: hadn't occurred to him that this might be a time when she wanted the reassurance of his presence but, because she knew of his discomfort, had never asked. Zhol had been letting her come here alone, completely oblivious to the fact that she wanted not to be; all because of his stupid shame.

"I am sorry," he said quietly, his shoulders slumping a little; but he quickly forced that dejected posture to stop, forced himself to meet her gaze instead of hiding from it; forced himself to wrestle aside all of his anxiety and prudish embarrassment and stand there like an Inarta, trying not to care about what Khara did or didn't see, instead of trying to shield himself like a cowardly outsider. "I should have offered to come with you to the baths this entire time, but after what happened the first time we met, I -" Despite the situation, despite the nervousness that addled the edges of his voice, despite how gut-wrenching and uncomfortable their first meeting had been, he couldn't help the faintest flicker of a nostalgic smile as he thought of it. Regardless of what else had transpired, it had been the day he'd met Khara: and that made it one of the best of his life.

"Where I come from," he explained, trying a different direction in the hopes of offering more clarity, "Being seen without clothes is often a sign of intimacy; you show all of yourself only to those you trust, and care for. When we first met -" Again, that became the stumbling block for his explanation. He mustered his will, forced himself past it. "- you believed something was about to happen, and so you let me see yourself in a way that in my culture it was wrong of me to see."

He couldn't bring himself to take the explanation any further, and that was probably for the best. Confessing how much he wished that he was seeing her as she was because she wanted him to see was quite possibly the most ill advised notion his mind had ever conceived.

"That should not matter, though," he continued, guilt and sadness tugging at his eyes and brows. "After what happened, after what he did, I should not have let my outsider feelings get in the way of being with you when you need me. I should have been coming here with you every day since you came to my door. From now on, I will."

"I am glad that you feel safe when you are with me, but -" The urge to turn his eyes away from hers finally became too much, disappointment in himself dragging them downwards to focus on the water's surface. "I do not think I am doing a very good job of keeping you that way."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Khara on December 11th, 2014, 4:39 am

His explanation answered a lot of questions she had been too timid to ask. But where she expected to find a small smile or some sort of feeling of being reassured, instead she felt her shoulders slump and her stomach knot as he continued. He had said a similar notion to her the night she had come to his room, when everything had changed and the thought of being alone suddenly had become terrifying beyond words.

Khara didn't understand it, the melancholy, the hint of guilt. "Nothing bad has happened to me since I began staying with you," she began softly, trying to reassure him of the single thing that she refused to let her thoughts compromise on. "It is not your fault, you realize this? There was no way for you to know someone was thinking of hurting me."

Her eyes lowered from where they looked to him and fell to her hands as she tried to focus on them through the slight distortion of the water. It was her own words that bothered her this time. Hurting her. She had done everything she could to avoid thinking of what had happened in those terms. It was normal for a Dek or a Chiet to find themselves at the advances of one of the higher caste members. It just happened. Even finding girls or boys who had been beaten severely in such things because of their protests or resistances wasn't unheard of. She'd gotten away with a few scrapes, some bruises, and a lingering soreness that had lasted a day or two but it wasn't so bad. It could have been worse. The physical injures she had sustained had been minor and all in all she was fine.

That didn't stop her new heightened agitation everywhere she went, though. It didn't stop the nightmares that had been persistent where she didn't ever make it to Zhol's door. It didn't stop the fact she still wrapped her wrists in strips of torn shirt fabric when she felt like she needed some sort of physical comfort and Zhol wasn't there to coerce into holding her. Some wounds were just harder to heal than others.

"I... I haven't had to do that sort of thing before." her voice was softer as she began speaking again, not entirely certain she was actually addressing Zhol so much as just letting her thoughts spill through a crack that had opened somewhere between her head and mouth. "I haven't done that sort of thing ever with anybody. Everyone says it hurts the first time but... I just... I wish it had been different. I wish it hadn't been with someone who hated me like he does."

Her vision blurred and she felt herself pulling her knees to her chest, heels of her feet barely catching on the edge of the seat built into the pool's outer rim. Before she could stop herself Khara raised a hand and wiped the back of it across her eyes, fully realizing it wasn't doing much but adding more moisture to her face.

"I wish it had been with someone who actually cares about me," Khara spoke softly, not bothering to try and conceal the sadness that was creeping into her tone. Her head was full of too many things. Too many things she wanted to say and too many things she didn't want to say and she suddenly felt like she couldn't tell the difference anymore. It was the only explanation for what came out next to actually make it past her lips. "I wish it had been you."

Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Zhol on December 11th, 2014, 5:00 am

Those words: so simple, such a quiet afterthought, and yet they echoed in Zhol's mind as if she had screamed them at the top of her lungs.

I wish it had been you.

What did that even mean? Every word of her admission up until then had been like a cold, clammy hand trying to drag him into the depths of sorrow, but at those he struggled, clambered, fought his way upwards. What was she saying? That contrary to everything he thought he knew, she wanted to be with him? That she wished her first time had been with him? That if she had to have any Avora force themselves on her, it was better him than anyone else? That she wished their first meeting had unfolded differently? That he'd made a mistake that very first day?

Zhol wished it didn't play into his own fears; that sick, twisted notion that if he had been with her, he could somehow have prevented this, or at least prepared her for it somehow. All this time he had said nothing of how he felt towards her, for fear that she would comply regardless of whether she felt the same: but these past days, part of him wondered if it would have been better that way; better that she feel obligated to someone who loved her than to someone who, in her own words, hated instead. He had never heard her describe it that way, never much at all, really; but that word painted a sickening new dimension. He'd seen, and helped tend to her injuries, he'd presumed certain things, but to all the other Avora's actions hate darkened it further still. What had the despicable sub-human creature responsible done to her, to make that her lasting impression; to begin to contemplating the lesser of potential evils?

All but one tiny portion of his heart lamented the worst; but that small part clung to it's hopeful query with all it's might. No matter how much he wanted to comfort her, no matter how much he wanted to take her in his arms, to say something, to do something, to somehow make all of this better, there was only one thing he found himself capable of; one set of words he found himself able to utter.

"Why would you want that?"

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Khara on December 11th, 2014, 5:42 am

Why would she want that? He was kidding right? Khara looked up at him slowly, her insides feeling more a mess than ever before as a huge avalanche of thoughts crashed down upon her. Because I care about you. Because I can't stop thinking about you. Because I have feelings for you that I don't understand and shouldn't feel. Because you mean everything to me. Because every time I'm not near you I feel like a piece of me is missing. Because I don't want to be your sister, I want to be yours. All the things she could have said, all the things she maybe should have said yet she couldn't begin to. There was some sort of block between everything and her tongue. It just refused to be said.

"Because you're my best friend," Khara began meekly. Her eyes darted away from him only to slowly rise again as things he had said to her slowly took the place of everything she was struggling to stay. "Because you're nice to me. Because you said I wasn't worthless to you. Because you care. Because you said I matter to you. Because you matter to me."

Whatever small amount of composure she had been clinging to suddenly snapped. It wasn't how she had expected it to come out, it wasn't what she had wanted to tell him but there it was. Khara knew she had said as much before but suddenly there was a new tone behind what she had said that was frantic for him to understand. There was some sort of reaction she saw, some flicker in his vision of possible understanding that she wasn't certain she even saw but overall nothing changed.

Her mind scrambled for purchase as it began to slip away from her, falling into some sort of abyss that had once been their friendship that had been torn apart at her foolish admission that he had every reason for questioning. Instead of silencing though, she kept going, kept blurting out reasons in rapid order as tears began to streak down her cheeks. "Because you wouldn't have hurt me. Because you wouldn't have thrown me on the ground like I was nothing. Because you would have been gentle with me. Because maybe then I would have liked it like you're supposed to."

As Khara's voice rose in volume she was oblivious to if they were drawing attention, but she did feel herself slip off of the pool's edge and begin to approach him slowly as if being physically closer to him would somehow prevent the terrible feeling that he was slipping away from her with every word that left her. "Because I... I.. "

The stammered in Nari, trying to force the last thing out. Such a stupid word and she couldn't think of it in Common and he wouldn't understand Nari and-

She kissed him.

It had happened so suddenly, one tick she was falling over her words and the next Khara had closed the gap between them and had gone to her toes, a hand had risen to his cheek, her eyes shut and their lips met. She stopped thinking, stopped letting everything tumble about in her mind. Instead she just willed him to understand. She had no idea if a kiss could convey that sort of thing, but if the gods were at all listening to every prayer her heart was practically screaming at them then Zhol would finally get it. Either way she couldn't pull away, couldn't end it, she had to know once and for all if he felt even remotely the same as her.

Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Zhol on December 11th, 2014, 6:02 am

"Khara, I -"

It was everything. It was every hope, every wish, coming true. As her lips met his, it was better than anything he could possibly have imagined, a blissful rush of emotions that threatened to sweep him off his feet and drown him like the currents of a raging river, and he wanted to let it. The feel of her hand against his cheek, so simple and so gentle, and yet so perfect, was cast in bronze and immortalised in his memory, every other detail carved in stone. This was the gesture that his heart had longed for: the proof that there was something more between them than what they both insisted out loud; the confirmation that there was a chance that dreams and reality didn't have to be different. It was everything that he wanted.

It was everything, but wrong. It was everything he had been afraid of. It was a girl in pain, a girl suffering, a girl hurt and broken so badly that she was desperate for a little kindness, and a gentle touch. She wished it was he who had taken advantage of her, because at least he would have done so nicely. He was the choice, he was the preference, the least worst option amid nothing but terrible choices. She wanted him, perhaps: but wanted him because he could undo the damage, not in the way that he wished she would. The kiss wasn't one of love, but one of pain: an invitation for him to do what he had promised himself and her that he wouldn't. It was a temptation, to try and bury those hurtful memories beneath some that weren't quite so bad; and oh how he hated himself for almost being willing to embrace that opportunity with both arms.

"- can't."

He pulled away, not far, but just enough. He didn't even try to hide the sadness and regret in his eyes, the devastation at all of this. Can't, because you deserve better. Can't, because it isn't right. Can't, because you aren't ready, and we both know it. Can't, because I made a promise.

Can't, because I love you.

His eyes fell away, gaze settling on the water. That earlier notion of being dragged beneath and drowned seemed all too enticing about now.

"I am so sorry."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Khara on December 11th, 2014, 6:42 am

Khara shattered. There was no other word for it. Where there had been so many things in her head that she could barely hear herself think all that was left was barren silence. She had broken into thousands, millions of pieces, and each shred now lay still like the aftermath of a blizzard.

The Why?? that was being pleadingly screamed from somewhere deep inside never made it out of her and instead she took a step back away from him as if she had been struck.

Can't.

The word repeated endlessly on loop within, acting as the only answer to everything that had led to this moment. It didn't make sense. He had smiled at her always, never shied away when she touched him, even in the baths she had seen the very hinting that he was attracted to her. So... why? What was wrong with her?

You're a Chiet, her thoughts finally gathered together to reply. No single thing had ever been more clear, more certain. You're a Chiet. He is an Avora. You aren't good enough for him and now you both know it.

Her lower lip trembled as she forced herself to look away from him, downward, her wet hair sliding in front of her eyes to further block her vision of him. Khara slowly retreated backwards, hand reaching behind her to fumble for the pool's edge so he could pull herself out of the water and took a few stumbled steps away.

Oh you stupid chick, her inner thoughts began again, but they weren't her own voice. They were male, harsh, the ones that had haunted her nightmares for days. The one that had treated her exactly as she should have been. The one who warned her in his own smug sadistic way. You really did think he cared, didn't you? Didn't I tell you? You're nothing to him. And now you know it.

The sound of the small sob escaping her throat broke the silence that had fallen between them and her hand instantly rose to cup over her mouth to stifle it. Her shoulders trembled for an instant before a strangled breath was forced from uncooperative lungs.

"N-no. I-I am sorry." The simple phrase barely left her, more marred by her accent than ever normal. "I-it w-won't happen ag-gain."

Khara bit her lip to keep anything further from being said and turned away. She didn't run, that would imply she was capable of anything other than the disembodied feeling as she moved then. The girl wanted to cast one last look at him, but all the fears she ever had about how he must see her had been proven in one single word. Can't.

Everything simply happened then as she gathered her things and redressed, a numb detachment once more descending on her that felt so much worse and permanent than it had several days ago. Only this time there was no one to go to. The single person she had ever dared to really trust was behind her and Khara felt another wave of anguish coming on her as she realized that was where he would have to remain. Her dreams were gone. She had never been worthy of having them in the first place.

Last edited by Khara on December 11th, 2014, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Zhol on December 11th, 2014, 7:03 am

He didn't move. Couldn't move. His voice didn't make a sound. He didn't try to stop her from leaving. He barely even watched her go. The reason was simple, echoing in his mind.

Look at her. Haven't you done enough?

He wanted to run after her. Wanted to explain. Wanted to offer her something more than just that one agonising word. He'd realised too late how it would sound to her ears; realised too late how utterly he had destroyed the one good person, and the one good thing in all his life. There had been a line drawn between them, painted on the ground on the first day of the season, a line they had assured each other that they would not cross. First the lakes, then that night, and then every night and day since, they had both shuffled a little closer to it. Khara had been the one brave enough to cross it, something Zhol had been terrified of; and instead of throwing his arms around her, holding her close, whispering how glad he was that she had done so, he had done this.

Can't

His legs buckled beneath him, body slumping into the water, floating awkwardly, his feet scraping the bottom. His hands rose to his face; the moisture his fingers found there hadn't come from the pool.

"Gods," he whispered, his throat constricting around his efforts to speak. "What have I done?"

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bed, Baths, and Beyond

Postby Brandon Blackwing on January 12th, 2015, 4:36 pm

ZHOL

XP:

• Observation +5
  • socialization +5
  • Reimancy +1

Lore:
  • Zhol's final moment of choice
  • Worrywart Zhol
  • Falling in the Salt Pool is a bad idea
  • Yes! It is finally happening- No, wait, it's not like that between us
  • Khara dislikes being alone
  • Khara wishes her first time was with you
  • Khara's kiss of pain
  • Zhol: Breaker of Hearts

KHARA

XP:

• Observation +5
  • Socialization +5
  • Flirting +2

Lore:
  • Shifting in your sleep can be oddly rewarding
  • Oh Gods, Stop Staring!
  • Looking coy by nibbling your lower lip
  • Zhol's shame of being seen in the nude
  • A kiss of love
  • Zhol does not want me after all
  • Zhol: Breaker of Hearts

Notes:
I think everyone will agree if I say that you two do an amazing job with these threads. Marvelous, simply marvelous! And sad, oh so sad :-( :'( :((

Breaker of hearts, destroyer of pavilions... what will the next thing be on Zhol's path of destruction? :P

I'm impressed Khara hasn't killed herself yet. Such an awfully low self-esteem and such cruel thoughts. She must possess more willpower than one could ever expect. That goes for Zhol also, such a golden opportunity-!

*ahem* :paranoid:

Keep it up :thumbsup:

Please remove or edit your post in the request thread.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous