PM to join [The Drunken Fish] Chasing Tail

(Blackveil's Heart, Part 2) Fallon is in the Drunken Fish investigating a potential lead, and begins to piece the puzzle together.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Drunken Fish] Chasing Tail

Postby Fallon on December 26th, 2014, 3:13 pm

6th Winter 514 AV

"Him? He's Assin?" Fallon raised an eyebrow as she gave the quickest glance down the bar, following the Father Manowar's line of sight before snapping back once more. He was idly cleaning the inside of a clay tankard, the faint squeaking barely audible above the noise that filled the tavern. The willingness to break into their squabbling without thought of others was apparent, the drunken slur of sailors and their ilk being far too clear in her ears. He was a clean looking fellow - for Sunberth at least - partially worn in his clothing, the occasional fray strand here and there. Her gaze flickered back, only to watch the bored sipping of ale before his attention turned to the pair that were brawling. Curses flew, in particular about petching someone's sister, but other than that it was just a usual fail of fists.

Fallon shook her head and sighed. The art of intelligence and gathering information, it seemed, was not her forte - she was stumbling and struggling over all of it. Times like this she would have needed Zandelia, but she was busy with her own business and work - she dared not to call upon her help because of that. A mixture of simple wanting to do it herself and the basis that it was not fair. Besides, this was her work now - she had to deal with it the best she could. Pinching her brow she caught the look, the faint sway of movement as he cocked and eyebrow, "So, what you want with him?"

"Business,"
Fallon stared into the bottom of her own wood tumbler, swirling the spirit liquid within its base. It had done its job of burning through her and filling her insides with a rough warmth. But now the dregs were starting to dry and the mind was starting to sober. Manowar mouthed an 'o', shrugged and went back on with his idle staring into the depths, rosy cheeked and thinking of where to get the next drink from. If there was anything distinguishing about the man next to her, then it was that he was nearly, always drunk. Still, it made him easy to influence with his preferred tastes. She gestured for one of the bar maids to come over, "'Nother one for me and my associate here."

He gave her only a quick look over, and pulled back to release a grin, "Woman after my own heart Redwulf."
"Well I do try,"
She gave a flicker of a smile back, and averted her attention once more to her target, "So, him, funny fella from what I've heard. Finger quick."
"Aye, could say that. Gotta say, this is his main water hole,"
There was a flicker upwards as the barmaid returned. Fallon passed the needed coin over, "Bloody cheap though, shrugs me off whenever I go over. Dun't seem to be the sort that wants trouble either, but he gives as good as he gets."
"Interesting,"
Fallon took a sip of her gut rot, and took in the room around her once more.

The scuffle had ended, the looser clutching his blooded nose as he staggered away. The jovialities of drink and clinking chains. The chains, her fingers tensed momentarily around her tumbler, and then eased off - no more, that was the past and a reminder. No one, for the most part was paying her no mind. Raising her drink, she gave a friendly clink against Manowar's, "Cheers, may we have fire in our lungs and keep the cold outside."
"Can say that twice,"
he spoke before they drank.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on December 26th, 2014, 10:50 pm

“What do you want from me?”

“To do as you stated you would, not too much to ask Bartrand, is it?!” she hissed at him, her temper was wearing thinner as the moments passed without what had been promised.

“I can’t petching perform miracles!”

“No? No, of course not,” she grabbed him by his jacket and slammed him into the wall so his heels were kicking at the frozen ground, breath blooming all over his face as she leant in, “but I can make you perform one if you like”

“What in th-“

“Returning from the dead” she stated coldly.

“Have you lost yo-“

“My mind? No, never. No one knows what you really look like bar those in the know and they will do what I tell them to. I can kill you here and later today you’ll continue to walk the streets and ply your trade. No one might know but I will. A small satisfaction. You were saying?”

“Alright! Al-alright…I’ve got some of what you needed. Whispers really, was saving them-“

“For when you needed them. Yes, I had been informed as much. Though you are a simple man to read Bartrand. Tell me”

“Daggers and Birth are killing each other but there’s cover to be had for killing you. Or trying to. Why deal with several dangers when they can eliminate some smaller ones in the crossfire. Not just you, the Backers, the Knockers and the Iron Spikes are up for…removal”

“Good….good,” she let him go and his feet slapped into the ground, “see that wasn’t so hard was it? Who told you?”

“I got contacts everywhere”

“So do I,” she smiled at him without feeling it ripple into her gaze, looking him up and down, “and I know you were going to sell me out. Thankfully…your agents either came to my way of thinking or died quite suddenly. Tragic deaths, all natural of course”

“You bitch!” he roared and lunged at her, she stepped aside and as he passed her lashed out viciously with a kick to the small of his back.

“Just one loose end to deal with….Verasik?” she clicked her fingers and a large warrior of a man stepped around the corner and looked at Bartrand, levering himself up slowly and with a growing look of disbelief.

“No…No! We’re brothers!”

“Kill him, mercifully if you like. He’s caused enough error and damage in this city to alst a lifetime. Profiting from the gang warfare by selling to all sides. Honestly, some people have no honour”

“Sorry Bar’ but you went too far. You got a score or more of us killed and more innocent people asides. Nothing personal” and those were the last words the would-be merchant prince heard before the sword swept into his belly and deprived him of life.

“Well done, dispose of the body how you wish. Mourn him, but mourn that he was lost long ago to you. Greed has killed the heart of too many. When you are finished you know what needs to be done?” she asked him as she pulled an apple out of her pocket and a dagger shone out to begin slicing into it.

“Stop the crossfire?”

Yes! A smart lad indeed. Stop them all getting killed. Let’s see if we can’t get ourselves some more boots on the ground, steer them to our way of thinking. Help people”

“Why?”

“Because no one else will. If that’s not enough for you then it’s because I am telling you to and you owe me and we’ll leave it at that”

“Alright, it’ll get done”

“Good, you know where I’ll be if you need me?”

“No”

“You know where to plant the notice though yes?”

“Excellent, see you in five days”

With that she was stepping through the few alleys shielding them from the main through fares of the Castle Commons district and into the crowds of people going about their business in the crisp air of newest winter. She bit heartily into her quartered apple as her feet danced their way through the throngs and towards the docks – a decent place to drink a little during the day and she knew that if anyone knew where the first attacks would start cropping u it’s be Manowar or Merv. Merv was growing a bit tedious of late, always grumbling when it got too cold/ As such she stepped into the tavern of the jolly giant and at the bar spied someone of great importance indeed. She approached quietly, stepping in behind Fallon as quietly as she could – no doubt still detected. She had a wolf’s hearing indeed.

“Shouldn’t you be working oh crimson legend?” she asked with a small chuckle.

“Web! Where’ve you been now? Haven’t sung a song of note for us for a while. Come, sit you down and drink”

“A weak one now Man, too early to be seriously drinking”

“You sound like a little girl now, never too early”

“Later, maybe mater. So, what brings a darling little mercenary to this most watery of watered down ale houses?” she sat upon a stool and asked, wondering whether it was wise to bring up her new concerns now or wait until another time.

I don’t have much yet after all, might be best to leave it than worry her without needing to she mused as the mug was placed before her ad she took a small sip.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on December 27th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Fallon lowered her gaze, staring back into the cup with thought as she considered her next move. Really she needed to obtain more information from him, milk him for knowledge and use him as a stepping stone. It was a cruel line of thought, she did not like the idea of turning people into mere objects - but in this case it was a necessity. Tasting the liquid upon her lips, she let it burn down her throat and rest within her stomach, leaving her tingling internally. She also needed to stay relatively sober, less be unable to act accordingly. A cruel predicament really, for it meant that there was no opportunity to unwind. Which was perhaps the best thing.

Her ears twitched, the skin prickling as the tavern door was opened. She did not turn away from her drink, but it was her free hand that lowered, tracing and feeling round as she peered out the corner of her eye and round. Straining, she watched the shape of the other come closer, the gentle click of pulling it forward until at last the voice escaped. Fallon eased, the blade clicking back and her hand pulling away.

"But Web, I am working. That is, working my teetotal status," she gave a snort into her glass, her gloved fingers drumming on the top of the bar as she took another sip. Her ears gave a twitch to the banter, her eyes drifting back across to her target in question. There was a hardening of her gaze, before it swept back round to Father Manowar. He said nothing, merely watching the partner sip. She wondered, briefly why she was here - had something occurred? It was a thought that flickered to the front of her mind, but then died down quickly. There would be an answer soon no doubt.

"Oh, I am here for the love of drink and violence of course, such an idyllic pastime in Sunberth don't you think. And, of course, the love of intrigue. You know I have a weakness for it," It was her free hand however that was moving. It drew a circle upon the surface, before drawing out a line in the direction of her target. It was there she swept it up to seemingly inspect her finger tips, "The story here, the mystery there... Curiosity kills the wolf. Or was it cougar?" The tease hung there in her voice, and quickly snapped back to the rough, business like tones of Bitzer, "Regardless, I'm hunting for this and that, just trying to pick out my prey and the right moment to strike." Taking another sip of her drink she turned her attention to Zandelia then, her brow raising and looking her up and down, "So, why are you here then? I thought your usual water hole was elsewhere...?"

Fallon's gaze looked back at Assin once more, flickering across his features and the way he was nursing a pair of dice between his fingers. A gambler? Or did he just like to play with things between his fingers. Her attention was shattered when Manowar gave a hearty belch and thumped at his chest, "Hit the right spot that."
"Father, really now?"
She cringed at him, whilst he gave only a laugh in response. Her gaze gave a slip once more to Zandelia, "Fancy helping me on my hunting tonight?"
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on January 30th, 2015, 5:29 pm

She swirled the weakened liquid inside the cup and watched it dubiously, it still seemed too dark to be of a decent strength to be working under – Manowar was specifically known for making his drinks stronger than most. As she had come to know the man she was not entirely sure it was just because he liked a decent drink himself. She had spent enough time in the establishment now to know that loose lips in this part of Sunberth brought more than opportunity – it brought extortion and blackmail. More than elsewhere she had to admit, it was one of the reasons she had decided to plant seeds in it herself. Rich manure drive by fear of slaver and smuggler retribution, not including Old Legs either.

Shyke flows freely here, but only if the ale does too. Good thing for me Manowar is not as deep to mine eye as he thinks he is. I do a turn for him, he thinks he gets the better of me. Worth the occasional insult or roaming hand she told herself as she tilted her head and glanced at Fallon intermittently, gaze taking in the rest of the patrons at the same time.

“I come here often enough of late Bitzer, though I shall not tell you what I do here. I like my pride to much to let you kn-“

“She sings” Manowar prompted with a devilish grin.

“Thank you so much my friend,” she stated through grit teeth and a fake smile after shooting him a dark look, “for your contribution. Now if you are finished I think the men over there want you more than you are needed here” she looked across the room pointedly and turned her face away with a few inaudible, dark mutterings before downing the whole of the drink in her fingers.

Looks like drinking is a good idea after all she noted as she also noted her cheeks were tinged red and slightly heated now.

“As he was saying, I help out here. Keep people entertained and drinking, in return I get what I need. Even if I seem to spend a lot of time telling the sailors they’re looking up the wrongs skirts” she rolled her eye and met Fallon’s gaze again and dared her to laugh at her almost.

It would be just perfect, her partner coming in one evening and requesting a song or two – egging on the crowd perhaps. She knew she was terrible at it, her voice was hardly melodious. She was simply lucky that sailors liked the songs and couldn’t care less how they were sung for the most part. Some songs were avoided for the sake of tradition, only sung by the talented, yet she was getting better at it as she continued. She had managed to get some leads and decent information too, it had been worth it. She just disliked embarrassing herself before those who knew her than those who didn’t.

“I know a wolf who might find themselves peltless if their curiosity drives them in a certain direction at any rate,” she almost sighed the words out, there was no force behind the half-threat, “but if you are hunting for something then I’m just about ready to get out of here and help you with it. What is it that you’re tracking? Person? Item? Cargo?” she asked, pitching her voice down slightly so as to not be overheard.

“So, come on then oh mistress mercenary of mine, what’s the job today? I’ve always been better at hunting and ferreting than you. Tell you what, I’ll do the finding and then you and you the…persuading?” she grinned then, a true grin.

“After all, I do so love to do jobs with you. Always so exciting” she finished, it was true…for a given definition of true.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on January 30th, 2015, 6:35 pm

"Oh does she now?" she raised an eyebrow at Manowar and then back to her partner, lip curled in amusement, "I am surprised I have not heard such a talent coming from you, and must say - I am jealous." Let the idle banter fill the voices, the gentle jibes and prods in various directions - it was merely an adjustment of the social bar hierarchy, the rise and fall of patrons and staff. But she did not let her gaze dally too long on the pair, and quickly returned her gaze to her surroundings, guarded and careful as she calculated, the points around the room. Part of her skin itched, tingling and crawling as she heard the faint scattering test of dice across the bar before once more they were scooped up and twiddled with. She heard Manowar shift his weight and move, and for a moment there was that humming string of silence. It was slowly that her gaze peeled away, shifting to Zandelia and down wards. Gently, she let her leg brush against the other's before withdrawing.

"I suppose that's one way to pass the time and remain inconspicuous in your activities," Fallon swirled her glass and the gut rot that rested in the bottom of it sloshed about, "Is that why you are here tonight then, putting on a show for all these lovely guests of the Fish? My, that would explain why you come back so late at night too. And here was me thinking there was another reason." It was a teasing jab at most, "Alas, I as witness are proven wrong. But singing, that is unexpected. Was the lute not enough of an outlet for your creative desires? Not that I'm objecting to a good song. And other things."

Her eyes only narrowed down to the comment of being peltless, her drink swirling halting for a chime as she stared into the depths, before at last she answered, "I know. Which is why I am trying to be careful." Her gaze slipped over towards the direction of Assin, the raising of a drink as he considered it. Her voice remained low, "I won't argue there, you are. But, I am better at things that you are not as well. Anyway, I am tracking a person. And I already have them in my sight. The only problem is getting them away from all these... eyes." She took another sip, savouring the sensation upon her lips as she caught the grin within her gaze, "The one with the dice. He's the target. But, before that, I guess I should explain the job. No?"

Clearing her throat she placed the glass down. With that her voice grew hushed, in an attempt to be as quite as possible in the tavern of rowdy voices, "I have been requested to investigate and reclaim an item of personal interest known as Blackveil's Heart." Her lips pursed into a line, "Duvil is the one who's lost it, gave me a description too but kept not stating what it is. It's black, and about ten inches long. Definitely no more than a foot. Got an odd lustre, smooth to the touch and..." Fallon's cheeks begun to tint slightly, words drifting off. Quickly she took up her drink once more, taking a large mouthful and swallowing down the impending feeling of embarrassment. Coughing, she quickly moved on, "Thus far my nosing has brought me to him, need to get him to talk - but here I don't feel is the right place. So, I'm waiting for him to go outside, can drag him into an alleyway then and... yes. Persuade."

Flicking her hand, she gave a shrug to Zandelia and promptly grimaced at the bottom of her glass once more, "That is, unless you, Lady Cougar, have a better plan. And yes, getting out here as quickly as possible would be appreciated - I already feel the gaze of sailors visually undressing me."
Last edited by Fallon on January 30th, 2015, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on January 30th, 2015, 7:03 pm

“Other reasons? Do tell me what they might be, I’m not sure I understand and there are few precious distractions in this city that could maintain my attention indefinitely as you are suggesting. Simple people here, easily read and small in their wants. Not necessarily bad people but…boring. No, there are more interesting things upon my return,” she stated simply, it was teasing what had been said but also she thought laced with some potential fear, she nipped it in the bud before it could grow perhaps.

“I come here because it’s a den of intrigue and opportunity, I do enough to help Father there and he helps me in return. Business of course, always business these days. So active and always moving. Sometimes I just like to stay still and enjoy it. I am no singer, not really. But then…you never asked me to sing. If you are jealous you have but yourself to blame” she smiled back as the brief brush of leg was followed with her rest a hand upon Fallon’s shoulder.

Brief, enticing but brief. There was always that tension there, behind it all. The masks worn, even if only when working of late, were always a barrier. Sometimes she wondered what it would be like to tear them off, if it would be glorious. She suspected it would at least be enjoyable, to not have to fear. She supposed it was necessary, told herself repeatedly it was, yet she grew tired of it. The talk turned quickly to what was there before her, what she had not known of but moments ago and what she now knew and found troubling that she still did not know. She had never heard of this item described, it concerned her. She knew she was not encyclopaedic in her knowledge yet…strange artefacts.

They are always trouble. Always. Either dangerous themselves or because what people will do to get them. She is lucky she met me, I can at least watch out for her she told herself as she pursed her lips in consideration and let her gaze drift subtly over the one indicated to her, slight and quick enough to not be noticed yet still analytical.

“You play dangerous games Bitzer dear, for dangerous items. I will help, and do my best to make sure at least some pleasing parts remain without battle scars for a time yet,” she stated as she considered the man, “he is no real danger. He comes here every once in a while, drinks until he drops on until his coin is out at the dice tables. Known to try a venturing hand every now and then but mostly harmless” she continued smoothly.

“He’s had a few too many so far but, sadly, he seems to be holding out better with his luck. You want him out then there are two options open to you. You could make sure he is attended drinks until he needs to relieve himself. Or you could dice him out of his gold with your talents. We both could I suppose, though you would be better at it. I would be more…distraction perhaps”

“If you made sure his gold was gone you could at least ransom it back to him for what you want to know. Never know, might not even need to use violence for it. I’m not sure I’ve seen a shred of spine in him so far,” she finished her assessment, “though of course he could hide it very well. One other …harsher option…is to make sure his dice keep landing on the same faces each roll. If you can. It would have him declared a cheat. Manowar would be obliged to show him the door. Or through it at least” she shrugged.

She smiled softly at the other woman and wondered which would be picked, it was always fun to see how someone decided to act. Especially when it came to the puzzle that was Fallon, she liked to try to see how that mind worked. It was one of the few prize puzzles that was a mystery to her still.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on January 30th, 2015, 9:54 pm

"Oh this and that. Fraternizing with the locals, going off on wonderful heists of grandeur and adventure, hunting down all sorts of villainous figures, all that sort of fun..." She let the voice drift off, the trail of humour fading off with it, "Regardless, I do wish sometimes you would take me on such wonderful adventures. See where you end up." Lips gave the smallest of curls, fingers stroking her chin as she contemplated, "I guess... you would object to me coming to visit you when you are haunting then? And maybe I shall ask you then, see if you are up for a challenge. You do like those, sometimes."

Downing the rest of her drink, she felt the fiery warmth race down her throat and bleed on through the flesh. Eyes gave a blink, a long thoughtful sigh escaping and her cheeks taking on the faint tint of rosiness. Placing it down upon the bar side, she gave a rock back upon the stool, chin lifting and back straightening. Her head however turned to the other then, eyes briefly glazed then sparking back into life as the sensation of alcohol settled within, "Want another drink? Or do you just want to watch me drink myself under the table?" She gave a wave for the attention of one of the bar staff as she placed down a few coppers.

"You play just as a dangerous game Web dear," she offered the empty glass, her jaw flexing as she felt the beginnings of a slur come on, "'nother gut rot, double it up. Ta." She saw that look though, that pause of consideration over her words and the situation, "And I don't know if it is dangerous just yet. Enjoy so to know it was taken from my contractor by force. But... if it truly is dangerous, well, why did he not say? He spoke of blackmail, of it being used against him... you don't think it could be...?" Fallon drifted off, the glass refilled and the dark, swirling liquid greeting her within. Strong, musky, she could smell it even without leaning in close. Lips were licked, that moment of careful consideration through the musky sensation that was beginning to take hold, "Still, this is the Sunberth game, and this is my job - I would be a bad mercenary and loose reputation if I did not take risk. And as a leader of a gang... it is even more necessary to do so. Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Raising the glass she gave a pause at the rim, and pulled away, listening to the words that Zandelia had to say on the subject. Slowly, her head nodded in understanding, her lids coming into narrows in understanding, "Then we have no need to be harmful or a danger back then, few idle threats will do no doubt at most. I am tired of unnecessary bloodletting, have been for a while." She took a sip, "Drinks. I do like drinks. They numb things for a while, make everyone forget the pain, the suffering and instil a different sense of self, a level smothered beyond normal thoughts. Others become sorrowful, others wrathful. Interesting though how one can reveal a different facet by partaking."

"Well, I suppose the question is how sober do I want to be for this and..."
her eyes looked to Zandelia, gaze darkening and expression growing serious, "Do you really want me to partake in gambling? Do you think that is wise to let me do?" Her fingers tensed slightly, the faint whispers almost caressing her ears and providing that luring temptation to partake. To throw it away, to cheat and dictate through a game of chance and skill that she had no talent in. Knuckles gave the smallest crack, eased off, an placed the glass down with a clunk and slosh of liquid within, "I do not think I can - influencing rolls to give you higher numbers is one thing, but the same identical on however many die are used. One in six, two in twelve, on fast moving objects... It would require a keen and more sober mind." Fallon shook her head, and placed a golden miza upon the bar surface. Cocking her head over towards the target Assin, she spoke to the barmaid, "Make sure his drink stays filled until he leaves, from a friend."

Exhaling, she chose to take what she deemed to be the safer route, now it was simply the patience of what she deemed to be the waiting game, with hopefully not too much consumption, "And now, we wait. And maybe drink. But stay relatively sober. Somehow. Unless..." Her gaze drifted again, distracted for a moment and warring with what she was here to do. It flickered, cheeks tinting as she traced the form of Zandelia she was familiar with in her mind and then promptly snapped away, "No. Need to focus. Must focus. I mean... we don't..." Fallon gave a shrug, "Have to hang about...?" She paused, and took another mouthful of drink, "No, we do."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on January 30th, 2015, 10:48 pm

She had often been with Fallon upon her own tasks, it was only natural really, yet she had not seen such a lack of disciplinary control for some time from the woman. Not when it came to alcohol, to the point where she was not sure whether it was an act. She went along with it at any rate, there was little choice. Her assent to companionship was, however, just a small cup of full ale. It was assured that the method she had chosen was to get him drunken to the point of leaving the tavern voluntarily – she was not sure that there wouldn’t be some prompting required. Watching the dice game carefully, trying to assess the man’s condition, she listened to Fallon as intently as she could whilst her attentions were split.

I wonder whether he has a friend, whether he’ll be having someone watch his winnings – should he have any left – or whether he is actually alone. We shall see, I must try to discern the truth. I’ve not seen him with helpers before but then again I don’t spend all of my time here either she mused as the words reached her ears and she tried to listen to both Fallon and the environment.

“I will join you for a drink, one that is. Slow down Bitzer dear, if you’re legless you’ll hardly be able to defend yourself. Just because this fop seems easy enough doesn’t mean there is no danger. Our own for starters, or the fact you said it was taken by force. Although…although,” she mused aloud, “that makes little sense. This weasel couldn’t rob someone. Not alone. You’re looking for allies of his then. Or at least hired thugs for the purpose. That gives us another trail to follow” she stated softly as she sipped the bitter ale sparingly, becoming accustomed to the taste before diving into it.

She considered the puzzle pieces, what ones were presented to her at least, slotting them and sliding them around to form various possibilities and directions. The real question was of motive, why had the item been taken? To use against Fallon’s employer? How? Was it a weapon then, or perhaps a link to something he would rather not have a link to? An old vendetta perhaps, it was too vague. More information was needed before anything could be considered even remotely better than murky.

“How can a solitary solid object be used to harm your employer Bitzer? This makes no sense at all. A worm steals something of value, alone it is intimated. Then he comes to a tavern with a lot of gold like a idiot and begins to celebrate. Either he’s being set up or thinks there is no trail to follow,” she pondered in hushed tones, head close to Fallon’s, “but then either that means he assumed the owner was dead or this employer is not the original owner. Or…or he is arranging the whole thing perhaps? What exactly did he tell you?” she asked with a sense of urgency – paranoia was in her nature but it had kept her alive more than most.

“As to the rest, the taking with you, well I…I didn’t want to risk anything again. The last time things went wrong was at Brega’s. It affected you as much as me. Well, maybe not as much. Then there was my father and…I just don’t like almost getting you killed. Not sure I would survive that one. If you wish though, I will take you. It looks like this contract of yours is shaping up into something more of my nature anyway. You want to take a step with me that’s fine, you can collect the bounty. I do this one for free. For you” she stated as she drank her own cup a bit deeper to keep up the ruse of willing and leant against the wood, close to Fallon so that any conversation would be muted from others.

"What was that man;;s name again, what was your employers name? If you can't gamble then I may take a show of it? People talk over the table and I might even be able to get him to bolt. Or if he has any friends then they would reveal themselves to your astute gaze. I don't like going in blind beyond the word of someone we know not" she finished, watching Fallon carefully for the reaction she suspected would come.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on January 31st, 2015, 11:48 am

"What are you thinking?" Fallon narrowed her eyes down, watching the expression upon the woman's face behind a hazy sheen. Her finger raised and gave a prod to the woman's forehead, "You crease there when you're brooding. You know that right? Your brows all pinch up and your lips pout." She withdrew her hand, and returned it to wrap around the glass - occupying it for the meanwhile. It was rather reluctantly however that her gaze peeled away and looked back down the bar. Ears twitched, an inhale as she forced a focus to the words of worry and her eyes watched the surroundings, "You're right. It doesn't make sense if what you say is true. Why would the spineless take something by force? Unless of course, he's not as spineless as we first thought," she paused, and hummed, "Still, interesting you say that there might be another..."

Her mind flickered back to the previous day and the dealings she had with Hook, a tricky one who gave her the prod in this direction to begin with. Perhaps they were associates, perhaps they had worked together - he had quite willingly handed the name Assin over to protect his skin she remembered. It still remained as little more than a loose end, but one that would be perhaps wise to tie up sooner rather than later. Fingers drumming against her chin, she took a moment to further consider before speaking, "The Lion and I, we went and shook up a guy who get's called Hook, though, more known as George - he was the one who pointed me to Assin. Claimed that he was the guy to follow."

"Still, only one drink? Fair enough,"
She took a mouthful, slowly this time and bringing her speed of consumption down to a more manageable layer. Peering above the rim she listened and heard the urgent twang within the woman's voice, her brow to creasing into a line with the situation before her, "I don't know. Maybe it serves as evidence for something. Question for what evidence however and the motivation of who stole it to begin with. Thing is..." she pursed her lips together, "I have a feeling that they were hired by another source, like for a reason - impression I get is that it seems a bit... random?"

"He called himself Duvil, looked respectful by Sunberth's standards. Smoker and has a beard,"
she paused and tried to follow her partner's thought process, feeling the tingle of warmth rest there and the emerald orb inspect and the sluggish mind attempting to piece together what was before her. Pinching her brow she attempted to remember what was said, and slowly pulled the words together, "He was hesitant about describing what it exactly was, almost as if nervous we would use the knowledge to our advantage. No, embarrassed, definitely embarrassed. He didn't want his reputation harmed either as it was apparently everything, and whoever took it would use it as leverage against him - what exactly he didn't specify... Hence the obscure description. I've asked him to come and confirm the article in question once I believe I have retrieved it - and he seems more than happy to do that," Another pause, "I don't think he's arranging the whole thing, though that doesn't mean someone isn't arranging the event through him. Still, wanted it to be a clean job." Her finger and thumb drummed upon the bar surface, "Which would explain why he didn't get a common thug to do it."

Fallon raised an eyebrow at the woman, her gaze darkening, "You think it's a trap? And that's all I've got, he said he didn't know who had it now but wanted it back as quickly as possible. I have my notes in the office, but..." She shrugged, and then released a snort of amusement, "And for free?" A finger was placed beneath the woman's chin, gaze boring in for a moment and the lowest of purrs escaping from her throat and the smallest lean in closer, "Maybe free in coin... but I know how you work cougar, and I know that this wolf will be paying you back in other ways. No?" She withdrew at that point, returning both hands to the bar surface and seriousness returning once more. Least, until she gave the smallest nudges against her leg once more, "I understand. I will be careful, for us."

"There just isn't enough evidence. And I don't like it one bit. There's something that is being over looked, with the fingers pointing at the two suspects that have worked together. But, I think he, Duvil himself, is being set up,"
she decided through the mist of the gut rot, "Beyond that, I am not sure - but I don't think waiting around and ignoring it will garner any answers either. And I always want to take steps with you, just seems like someone of late does not want me interfering."

Fallon frowned deeply, eyes looking down at her hands before they clenched up. The inevitable suggestion was put forth again and the more she listened the more it seemed Zandelia had made up her mind, "It's less not knowing how to gamble, but more not knowing when to stop once started. That adrenal of chance, the roll of technique, the thrill of everything being placed on a hand, the smell of make or break desperation past the level of an idle past time - it is addictive. But..." she sighed, and let the fingers relaxed, "It sounds as if you have already made the choice for me. That I shall gamble and you shall... perform? Or have I misunderstood your ideas once more?"
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on January 31st, 2015, 5:29 pm

"You know me too well. I always charge for my services. Good thing for you that I do not have need for gold, far too boring a reward. Do not concern yourself too much, I’m sure it won’t be a burden to you,” she chuckled though still held a look of childish consternation upon her face, “and I do not pout. I have never been known to pout like a small girl. It’s…a perfectly adult look of mulling over. You must have been mistaken” she glanced away and then back at Fallon with further red to her cheeks this time.

“I think everything in this city is a trap, unless otherwise proven. Sometimes it’s for the good, other times for the worse. Call me paranoid but I like to keep my head touching my shoulders. It does all seem quite convenient though. It’s not often that a trail is just lain out for me to follow. Perhaps I am wrong, feel free to tell me I am. It just seems too….neat. You know?” she stated between sips.

She tilted her head, considering the now familiarly enjoyable flavour and nodded a consent to a second drink. She would leave it at that though, she only ever drank deeply from her cups when she knew that she was completely safe from the dangers of Sunberth. Given the fact that Fallon was in a playful mood this day it seemed the wiser choice to go along as much as she was able to, or risk further teasing chastisement for her resistance. She knew a losing battle when she saw one and she disliked losing. Still, Fallon kept her head in check and her feet grounded when it was needed, a fact for which she was grateful. She looked at the dicers once more and considered her response.

“No, I would not force you to do anything. If that is how it affects you then stay yourself. If it seems to be needed then I can do it instead. I merely presented options for quickening the chase if it seemed to slow too far. I’m not here to instruct you but to help. A poor partner would I be if I threw you into something that was so…difficult…for you” she responded carefully, it was something she had not considered before – that Fallon could have such simple vices.

It was foolish of her really, the woman was not perfect. No one was of course, yet she had not given thought to such a side to her. Too occupied with the daily grinding out of required tasks she had had her thoughts directed elsewhere. Perhaps she too had been at fault, she had not invited the other woman anywhere that much was true. Was it through ear or distraction? Was she slipping once more, cutting someone out and then walking that long road towards self-destruction once more? She cleared her throat and met the gaze squarely.

“I’m sorry that I did not invite you, you may come with me whenever you like. I will make more of an effort to make you aware of such…matters. I can’t promise every time but more often certainly. As you eye though I must make you aware that the woman two tables to the left of your dicer has had her gaze pinned on him – almost unmoving – since you brought him to my attention” she informed Fallon softly.

“And do not worry, whatever happens going forwards, you can walk the missions with me. I’ll have to direct you though. And we both know that giving you directions is easier said than done Wolf”

“So, I think we may have a tag along. Someone seeking to tie up a loose end or someone making sure your job gets done? Unknowing your employer may be but I doubt everyone is as to the wider landscape here. Suggestions?”
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next