Solo This is Working

Or is it? Rosela tests the waters of mixing her work and her Talvis.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

This is Working

Postby Rosela on December 31st, 2014, 2:09 am

Timestamp: 12th of Winter, 514AV

Just one more, just one more…

Rosela been repeating that to herself for the last bell, trying to fit ever ‘just one more’ design in before she had to leave. The design currently in front of her was of a pair of gloves, part of a hat/scarf/gloves set for women, and it needed something more to make it unique. She considered fur trim, extraneous little straps, and even multi-colored patches, but all the good ideas were ones she’d already done and all the bad ones were, well, bad.

The day was getting long though, Saeya and Hudon having already left bells ago. Without normal eyes to appease, Rosela had doused the candles to save a miza or two on them. The shadows closed in around her, whispering and observing her small, quiet movements over her paper. The fire was burning low next to her and Rosela huddled close to extract as much heat from the embers as she could, forcing the shadows to gather on her opposite side. She mentally wanted to continue working there in the dark but…

She had agreed to go to Likhren’s for dinner. Mostly dinner anyway; when she’d explained the amount of work she needed to do, he’d insisted she work from the ‘comfort’ of his home. He could take care of her, he said. It was her first time alone with him in his home and she couldn’t help but wonder if she was using work as a distraction from seeing him.

After a brief time where she’d attempted to create distance between them, still reeling from the violation he’d enacted on her, she had agreed to try and see what kind of relationship they could build. She’d taken the first step by agreeing to meet him at all, when she could have easily cut him out altogether and leave him with his apparent guilt over his actions. It would have been more convenient – she did not have time to spend away from her work. The bells she lost on doctors’ visits and meetings with the Oathmaster were bad enough. Her old pride had vanished though, and as much as she wanted to hate him and rage against him for his trespasses, she simply couldn’t get by without support. She would have to, even wanted to, make this work.

The child in her belly stretched then, pushing a hand or a foot across the inside of her stomach. Discomforted by the feeling, Rosela set aside her drawing board and stood, pushing four hands into her back to stretch. Three cracks popped from her spine and she groaned in satisfaction. If only she could finish this last design, she could feel satisfied enough to leave. As she straightened, the cracks from her back struck sudden inspiration in her and she opened her eyes wide.

The drawing board was snatched up, and there in the darkness, while the shadows watched, Rosela added three tiny balls of what would be black fur to the top of the glove’s wrist. She flipped the page back to the rest of the set and drew a wobbly line – a braid of yarn – at each corner of the scarf, with the three fluff balls at the end of each. The hat, originally a simple cap, received three scrawled circles atop it. Simple, easy, and just enough to make them stylish.

Set finished, Rosela threw a bucket of water on the fire, swept up her cloak and travel bundle of design work, and left.
Last edited by Rosela on December 31st, 2014, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

This is Working

Postby Rosela on December 31st, 2014, 2:10 am

“You came.” Likhren’s smile was relieved and Rosela immediately felt guilty for making him wait. He reached up to take her cloak and she quickly untied it herself and handed it to him. The thought of his fingers touching her made her skin crawl, a sensation she also felt guilty for. She knew he caught the anxiety in her face and she tried to make up for it with a smile. She kept her bound bundle of papers and pencils tight against her body.

”Yes, I had a lot of work. I still do.”

“Don’t worry about that; there’s plenty of time.” He stood aside to allow her to come in away from the door. His cottage was small, but bigger than her own cottage had been and better decorated. A roaring fireplace stood in one corner, a pot of what smelled like beef stew hanging over it. On either end of the mantle was a grassbear paw, the massive claws frozen in a position clutching the edge of the wood. An armchair and a longer padded bench, each with a single decorative pillow, were angled to face the fire. The place was warm, muted, and uncomfortably intimate and Rosela immediately regretted coming over. What if something happened? Could she defend herself? “So…” Lekhren broke the lengthening silence. “Do you-“

”I have work. I have some work I need to do,” Rosela blurted abruptly, loosening her grip on her papers to hold them out for display.

“Of course. Please,“ He held out his hand for her to sit, smiling comfortingly.

Rosela cursed herself again. What was wrong with her? He was cooking her dinner and not even minding that she wanted to work during their pseudo-date. ”Thank you. I really do appreciate you inviting me over.” Taking a deep breath, Rosela sank onto the armchair. One hand moved the decorative pillow out of the way, spending a moment too long looking at it. The pillow was embroidered with roses and lined with frilly lace, entirely out of sync with the rest of the very masculine room.

“That’s, um, I got that. For you. My mother said you’d want something to put behind your back while you’re sitting.”

”Oh. Thank you.” Touched by his consideration and starting to feel the anxiety thaw, she shifted forward to push it behind the small of her back with a grateful smile.

“How are you feeling? You mentioned last week your ankles were bothering you?”

”They are, but I’m trying to spend less time on my feet, so it’s not so bad lately. The morning sickness is pretty much gone.”

“Good. Great.”

They once again fell to silence.

”Your home is very nice.”

“Thank you.”

”The grassbear,” she briefly indicated the mounted paws. ”Did you…?”

“Yes, that was a hunt with my brothers. My older brother was technically the one who killed it so he got the head, and we split the rest of it and the meat. We tried to make our mother a big roast of it, but we didn’t get all the fat off and the taste…eh.” Trailing off with a smile, he ran a hand through his hair.

”I thought the fat makes things taste better?” Rosela shifted, getting more comfortable. Her anxiety was draining away quickly on the cozy heat of the fire.

Likhren made a wide grimace and Rosela laughed. “No way, grassbear fat’s nasty stuff. The taste is so strong, it just overpowers everything else. Next time we go hunting, maybe you can come over…for the cooking part?” He wrung his hands, clearly nervous about the invitation.

”I’d like that.”

They exchanged smiles and Likhren stood with a slap to his knee. “Well, I’ll leave you be; you said you have work and all. Dinner won’t be long.”

OOCThe lore doesn’t specify what a grassbear’s meat tastes like so I based it off of real bear meat.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

This is Working

Postby Rosela on December 31st, 2014, 2:15 am

Rosela hadn’t wanted to bring her entire pencil collection and so had resolved to doing her work in grayscale and only noting the colors. It could be another time-saver; she would do the pure design now and add colors later when it went through editing. Both feet pushed up against the legs of the chair and she balanced her small drawing board on her knees. She glanced up at Likhren, who’d returned to lounge on his bench with a worn leather book, and made an effort to focus.

The first design was due to be a women’s jacket. The design after would be its pair, in men’s, so the concept would have to be something that could easily be made masculine. As soon as she set her pencil down and began drawing, she could feel Likhren’s eyes on her and tried not to feel self-conscious. She’d drawn hundreds, if not thousands, of designs and most of them under the curious gaze of the shadows. This would be the first time someone was actively, though surreptitiously, watching her do it.

Focus. Breathe in, then out.

She continued the line she’d started, extending it into the upper line of a woman’s slender arm. The line was duplicated on the opposite side, and a pair of curvy lines were added between them for the waist and hips. A final oval was added on top for the head. A quick glance up showed Likhren had returned to his book, relaxing her slightly.

Wide lapels were out of fashion, making them fair targets for a retro look, but like all retro features, they had to be handled with care. Striking a wide, zig-zag line down the right side of the figure, she quickly erased the bottom and redrew it closer. After mimicking the line on the opposite side, she erased both bottoms again and redrew them. The inside lines were added, followed by outlining the arms, capped with oversized cuffs. The waist lines were extended out to the hips, curving out at the end to add a bit of flair.

Next were the buttons, small circles with X’s inside, a pair on each side of the waist. Double breasted jackets always worked with outrageous lapels, they seemed to balance the visual interest across the length of the jacket. She paused then to consider a tie at the waist. It would look nice, but also break the streamline look-

Likhren stood suddenly, startling her. They locked eyes for a moment before both dissolving into awkward, humorless laughter.

”I’m-I’m sorry. This is really new for me…” The false smile faded quickly and she looked down.

“I know. I’m sorry.” His apology was loaded with meaning and regret.

”No, no, it’s okay. This will…” She struggled to find the words to reflect her feelings. ”This will work,” she said quietly, unsatisfied with the Common. She stared down at the paper in front of her, half-design blurring in and out on the other side of her tears. ”I can’t…I can’t do it alone. I want this, us to work.” It made her skin prickle to expose herself as so vulnerable, especially since there had been a time not too long ago where she would have not only not needed him, but scorned him violently for what he’d done. That person was gone now though, buried under pain and hurt and a desperate need to be protected.

Likhren appeared at her shoulder, kneeling next to the chair. “We’ll make it work. I’ll make it work. Nothing can take back…what I did…but I want to make a good life together. With you. And our child.” His voice was soft and pleading. “I think we can do it.”

Rosela sniffled quietly and reached out with one trembling hand to lay it gently over his. She saw his small smile in her peripheral and returned it. ”I think we can too.”

He squeezed her fingers once and stood. “For now though, how about we just focus on dinner.”

”Yes, let's,” Rosela coughed a laugh as she discreetly brushed away tears. ”I’m starved.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

This is Working

Postby Rosela on December 31st, 2014, 2:24 am

The evening was winding down and the shadows grew long and bold in the wake of the dying fire. As much as the shadows sometimes ran together in characteristics, these ones felt new and unfamiliar, obscuring, as always, what she thought she knew about their nature.

“So you work pretty much all the time then?”

”More or less.”

“Don’t you get sick of it? When do you relax?”

”Get sick of it?” Rosela looked up with a frown, shifting so she could recross her legs. Her pencil nicked the paper and she quickly erased the flaw. While her pencil was down, she added a hood, a simple pair of curved lines arcing up and around the oval head. ”No, I enjoy my work. This is what I do.”

Likhren held up his hands defensively. “Alright then. I’ve just…never seen someone so invested in their work. When my shift’s over at the Bull, I’m done.”

”If you owned it, maybe you’d feel differently.” Rosela drew a long swirl across the page, a flourish on an elaborate formal cape. She had cloaks of all kinds and stoles both formal and casual, but she didn't have much in between. A line of capes would correct that, something to wear to formal events and around courtyards. Moving back up, she added a few small lines around the long collar, indicating its loose fit. There was something relaxing in talking about her work while she did it.

“I guess. I'd make more money and all that.”

Rosela only hummed in response, laying her pencil to the side and making a jagged, fluffy border around the bottom edge of the fluttering cape. After a moment, she lifted her pencil, then put it against the paper again and widened the fur edging.

“So long as you like it…” Likhren punctuated with a wide yawn, lounging bonelessly on the bench.

Rosela had no intention of staying the night, but did want to finish her final design before she left. The stew was heavy in her belly, quieting the usually active child there. It had been good stew, as well as good company. With a loose wrist, she added a floppy pair of loops at the neck, an elaborate tie that would eventually be fine ribbon. ”Yes, I do like it.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

This is Working

Postby Matthew on February 5th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Rosela

Experience Points:

• +1 Acting
  • +1 Art (Fashion Design)
  • +1 Diplomacy
  • +1 Drawing
  • +1 Socialization

Lores:

• Acting: Putting on a Brave Face
  • Diplomacy: Working Out the Rough Patches in a Relationship
  • Fashion Design: Retro Look
  • Socialization: Handling a Complex Relationship

Additional Notes :
I considered putting in Lores for Likhren, as it seems she slowly learned a little more about him today. At the same time, it is a complex relationship, and I am not really sure if Lores are at all useful for an NPC of your own design. Let me know if you'd like these awarded.

If you have any questions or concerns relevant to your grade, don't be afraid to send me a private message so that we can work it all out! Please remember to mark your Grading Request as Graded.

A shout-out to Ollic Rimesage, who was kind enough to make this template for me.
Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)