Eypharian Race Rewrite

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Rosela on February 22nd, 2015, 6:14 pm

E
Notes on my thought processes regarding where to take the origin story: (since it's come up in chat?)

One of the from-scratch additions to the lore is the story of how the Eypharians came to possess multiple arms. The current story of a river spirit falling in love with a woman is very sweet and romantic, but I don’t think it fits very well with the feel of the race, which is all about beauty, superiority, and, with the latest addition of genetics, loyalty to race.

There was some brief discussion on making the split between Eypharians and everyone else, or possibly just the Benshira, a divine punishment of some kind. However, it being a punishment doesn’t really fit – a person being cursed with six arms makes them a freak, a person blessed with six arms makes them a gift from the gods. For a race so bent on superiority, it’s hard to reason that they are descended from people who were ostracized as freaks. In regards to them being a gift, it's in exchange for what? What god would like such a proud race so much as to bless them with something this huge?
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Aventis on February 22nd, 2015, 6:27 pm

I don't believe it would be. It doesn't make much sense to have Eypharians be cursed... I, for one, very much enjoy the creation story you came up with. I think it justifies everything very nicely as well as giving the royal feel I thought it should. It was - and is - nice. I would like it to stay, as much as possible. As for the gift portion... I'm not quite sure. The Eypharians, overall, don't seem like a well-liked race, or, at least, by the gods you would think. They consider themselves in a pretty high standing, from what I understand, and giving themselves traits that they don't necessarily possess. They're a very regal and aesthetic race and I feel as if unless an individual went though specific trouble to worship a particular god they wouldn't get attention from them.

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Hirem on February 23rd, 2015, 1:41 am

Hey Rosela.

So far I think you've done a neat job of bridging the gap between the romanticism of the original lore article and the technical standard most other races are expected to be at, and the history of the Eypharians rise to glory is quite plausible and intriguing. I don't think it's quite there yet - as you said, having the psychology and genetics sections in place would help strengthen the history portion. After all, the attitude of the Eypharians and the focus they place on their divine origins is huge, and I'd like to see more attention paid to how that behaviour developed over time, how 'descended from the gods' transformed into the modern institutions of the Pressor and noble houses.

I have to admit, I'm nervous about this new origin for the Benshira. I understand that the race is going to be revamped heavily and all references to historical parallels stripped away, but I can't help but feel that I won't be able to get behind this new history for the Benshira. Obviously there's not a lot of focus placed on them, and this discussion would be best saved for the actual Benshira article. But I always figured that the Benshira were a pretty proud people in their own right, and I can't imagine them banding around the name 'unwelcome' as their cultural identity. Also, I have to wonder how the migration of the Benshira into the west will be handled in their future race article. A better explanation about how this migration affected the Eypharian people would be appreciated.

So far, you're doing a very good job. Keep chipping away at the article one step at a time like this, and I don't imagine you'll need a lot of peer reviews. The writing is top quality. :)

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Rosela on February 24th, 2015, 2:35 pm

There isn't a lot of focus placed on them, so the story doesn't have the emotional punch it eventually will, but this is still the first place the new story will be instituted, so I do want to get it right. I wish I could go into more depth on the idea here - that way back then, everyone was technically Benshira, just desert-dwelling people, but they only became a race in their own right after Eypharians so forcefully segregated themselves. They needed something other than just not being Eypharian to band themselves together and try to get out of the situation they'd been ground into.

If the name is the problem, there's a dozen ways we can alter that, of which, I think these two are the easiest:
  1. Benshira is verbally adjacent to the word for unwelcome, and means something else
  2. Mbene-shur means something else, less cruel

The first could work like this: they were originally called, say, mbirashen, which means unwelcome. They then began to call themselves benshira, which sounds similar, but means...to prevail or something. There's a lot of weight in deciding what that one word would mean though, as it would have to be very symbolic of the entire race.

The second would work like this: the original story is kept, but mbene-shur means 'other' or 'other people' instead of 'unwelcome'. This idea would be much easier to band around, as they are proud of being something other than Eypharian. Kindof a, "Yeah, I'd rather be other than one of you six-armed bastards."

Given the aforementioned difficulty in picking the one word for the former option, I'm more inclined to go with the latter. Any thoughts?

As for the impact of the Benshira moving west, I've added 2 sections on slavery to the outline, for house and industrial slaves. The slave trade and breeding procedures will be addressed in the latter, which will touch on how breeding became more important after there were suddenly less people wandering the desert to just up and kidnap.

And thanks for the support, you guys :) We'll get there someday!

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Hirem on February 25th, 2015, 10:59 pm

Currently, Benshira means "Son of Faith" or "Child of Faith" if one looks at the Shiber lore page. I'm not sure if that's going to be rewritten as well - or even what relationship will define Yahal and the Benshira in the aftermath of this revamp - so I'm uncertain on this point. I do support the idea of mbene-shur signifying something similar to "different" or perhaps even "left behind", used by the Eypharians to distinguish themselves as advanced but by the Benshira as them remaining true to their roots.

Also, if the Eypharians now descended from what used to the unified Benshira people, does that mean Arumenic is now a branch of Shiber? Or Shiber is now a distorted version of Arumenic?

What do the Eypharians think of Yahal if he was once their god? Or is worship of Yahal a new faith that surfaced during the period of Benshira enslavement?

Questions, questions. I'm trying to avoid asking too much about the Benshira when I understand they're not the focus of this article, but I can barely contain my excitement. :)

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Sayana on February 25th, 2015, 11:10 pm

Regarding the words, perhaps the Eypharians regarded themselves as the sons and daughters of gods (which they kind of are) and the word "mbene-shur" means "those who must worship" with the implied "us" at the end. Because the Benshira are not of the gods and therefore can only worship.

And hence the word would have a natural progression from "those who worship" to "child of faith".

Just a thought. I'm not sure if it would tie into things properly.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Rosela on March 4th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I had a ton of thoughts on this, and after I started writing them out, I realized Hirem's mention of the existing Shiber meaning, something I hadn't been unaware of, clinches it. Unless we're also going to completely redo the Shiber page as well, and I'd like to keep the necessary edits to a minimum, I think 'Benshira' meaning child of faith needs to stay. This means the Eypharians would have to call them something else and the Benshira decided to call themselves children of faith on their own.

To this end, we'll be going with mbira-shen meaning 'those who worship'. Being that the Benshira are all about Yahal, it makes more sense for him to be their thing, rather than something the Eypharians chose to discard. For a race so occupied with excesses, worshiping the God of Purity would have seemed silly and self-restricting for the majority of Eypharians. A particular sect could correlate purity with genetic purity, but they'd be minor.

On the language split, I have a couple ideas, but I'll address them in the new History subsection to the Language section.

Things I need to remember to add to the next draft:
Dhani relations
'those who worship'
More emphasis on Araka blood
Yahal worship (very brief)

So right now, I'm working on 3 things:
Next draft of history
First draft of genetics section
Photoshopped image of shoulder skeletal structure

Something I thought of that I want to remember for the Language section:
The need to converse without the 'help' catching on can lead to Arumenic, and then High Arumenic. HA is described in their own lore page as " the one language no outsider can ever truly master", and this would give a partial reason for the complexity.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Rosela on March 7th, 2015, 3:35 pm

E
Whoo, this was a hard one. The section on genetics is now finished. No real comments here except I'm embarrassed at how much I had to review to remember high school genetics. In regards to my calling it something other than 'genetics', I really felt a name change was necessary. 'Genetics' is a very modern-sounding word to me, and is obviously based on 'gene', whereas Mizaharian genetics is all based on djed.
E

E
Overview
The study of genetics is called aladjunn by the Eypharians, meaning loosely ‘made of heaven and man’. The name is a testament to the origins of the field, studying the race’s own divine origins and how to maintain its gifts. It is known that the traits for every facet of Mizahar, from the largest velispar to the smallest blade of grass, is governed by its djed. Within djed is the blueprint for existence. What is known only to the Eypharians, through centuries of dedicated study and caretaking of knowledge, is the pattern heritable traits take when being passed down through generations.

In ancient, primitive times, the general knowledge was that djed was unique to each person and was determined equally by the traits of the parents and divine will. Children were expected to have only a blend of their parents’ traits, with the prominent traits determined by divine providence in conjunction with various local superstitions. For example, a mother may subside on a diet of thistle blossoms and cow’s milk to bear a child with fair skin. A potential father may sleep on his left side to sire children blessed with uncommon strength. Notions were highly localized and were deeply embedded in the culture of the area.

Such it was in the time of Royet, Eypha, and their first child, where word spread quickly of the child’s miraculous six arms. The Araka child was indeed blessed, and so were her eventual many brothers and sisters. When those children grew and had children of their own, all with the same miraculous arms, it did not spark a revolution in thought, only curiosity. As the Eypharian family grew and generation upon generation of six-armed babies were born, common thought as to their source shifted. That every child should be individually blessed seemed less likely, and focus shifted more towards the parents and their divine bloodline.

It wasn’t until the first four-armed children were born that scrutiny truly descended. The question on everyone’s minds became: What had changed? The idea that the divine blessing was receding was an unpopular one and the investigation began as to the true source. Records of bloodlines were created and pored over. Eypharians of the time had begun an era of science, and it was with the same industrial mindset that this issue was approached. It wasn’t until a single Eypharian, Takare re Ahnatep, published his theory of the aladjunn that the race had an answer.

Traits were not a mere blending of those from the parents, he found, they were the result of a chance combination of djed where certain traits in the parents were either less or more powerful than others and it was this that determined the child’s characteristics. The djed governing the number of arms in particular was only as dominant as its connection to the divine source, and it was shown that the four-armed babies had all come from a long line of Eypharians coupling with humans, their Araka djed being lessened by half with each generation.

In a grand display that would seal his brilliance in the eyes of his peers, Takare took seven couples, all including at least one six-armed Eypharian and interviewed them extensively about their family histories. Nine months later, he was able to correctly predict not only the number of arms each child would have, but several other traits such as eye color and nose shape. The theory of aladjunn became fact almost overnight.

At the time, Eypharians were hovering between status as a community and an extended family, but the idea brought a wave of deep inbreeding with the next generation as well as redoubled racism against outsiders. In the next decade before new science and propaganda from the Pressor could put a stop to the inbreeding, mutations appeared in swaths across the community. Cleft palates, shriveled arms, and club feet in babies brought many noble houses low as it was thought that attempting to return to purer blood so artificially had brought a scourge from the gods.

Takare, whose research was by now funded by the Pressor’s house and was personally held in as high regard as nobility, proposed an alternative after several years of study. Eypharians were not being punished by an unspecified god, it seemed their own djed was working against them. When djed was paired with djed that was too similar, traits that were far too recessive to normally present, particularly undesirable ones, would combine with enough strength to present in the subsequent child. The inbreeding craze died mostly out, and it became highly fashionable to have Takare, or one of his understudies, vet a possible match between branches of the Eypharian family.

In the subsequent years of his life, as the Eypharian family grew exponentially into a fully-fledged community, Takare established the society of the Zapatl, an ancient word meaning heritage, a move that would shape Eypharian society even after the Valterrian.

The Zapatl
The Zapatl started as only Takare re Ahnatep and his family aiming to catalogue physical traits along bloodlines to better understand the nature of aladjunn down and to warn couples of possible mutations if their bloodlines were too close. In a great hall in his home city of Ahnatep, entire volumes were kept on Eypharian families that marked prominent traits for each member. First indicated among these traits were the presence and number of multiple arms.

The family would soon grow into a society that would later, after Takare’s death, move beyond simply cataloguing, but managing Eypharian bloodlines as well.

By the time the Eypharians were annexed into the Alahean empire, the Hall of the Zapatl had become a venerable monument to Qalaya and noble Eypharian history in the heart of Ahnatep, as well as containing locked records of every known Eypharian. Many joked it was as fortified as the Pressor’s palace. It had become required for all marriages and births to register there and submit to screening to be assured the Eypharian race did not become either too diluted or riddled with mutations. Despite nearly institutionalized racism, even pairings with non-Eypharians were occasionally required, if it was determined an Eypharian’s blood was too risky to pair with another Eypharian.

When the Valterrian struck, the Hall of the Zapatl was one of the only structures to remain mostly intact, though several wings caved in and hundreds of records were lost to the invading sand. Those who had been fortunate enough to have been inside huddled, as the rest of the world did, in darkness and impending starvation. When they emerged, only a few of the most resolute members of the society remained, and they were instrumental in the push to return to a pre-Valterrian hierarchy.

Now, they argued, it was more important than ever to be watchful of the divinity in the blood of the Eypharian people. With so few families left, it was vital to walk the delicate line between maintaining pure bloodlines and preventing them from becoming too pure. Pressor Kryus instituted law that gave the Kapatl authority to determine the best reproductive matches between the remaining Eypharians. For a people who were desperate to reclaim old ways, the measure was adopted with vigor into the recovering society. The next generation of children would grow up knowing their eventual matches would be determined by the Zapatl, men and women who knew their blood better than they did.

Current State of Knowledge
In the 500 years since the Valterrian, the Zapatl has lessened in power, but still exercises a great deal of it. Children are still required to be registered with the society and the penalty for failing to register a child, or for attempting to lie about one’s parentage, is either a hefty fine or imprisonment. For the wealthy, love matches are a luxury not often taken for the sake of appearances. Failing to do one’s part for the betterment of the race by engaging in a match governed instead by emotion was a sure way to lose face. For the poor, many do not bother asking for approved matches, but more than one joining ceremony has been interrupted by an unexpected Zapatl decree insisting the match would produce undesirable offspring. If an Eypharian is discovered in a far-off land, a decree will eventually make it to them, ordering their return to Ahnatep to continue the betterment of their race.

Most Eypharian children are taught the secrets of aladjunn as part of their schooling, to further instill the idea of Eypharian superiority as well as the loyalty to always seek to further the race as a whole. Under no circumstances is it taught to non-Eypharians, even if they were raised in an Eypharian family. The very poor, who wouldn't have had access to proper education, would not know of aladjunn, as well as any Eypharians raised by non-Eypharians.

In current day, mutations are watched for more carefully than the state of the Eypharian race’s djed pool. The below chart illustrates the different chances for offspring each type of parentage may produce. Because of the history between Eypharians and Benshira, matches with Benshira have a slightly higher chances of producing another Eypharian as opposed to other races.

4-armed Eypharians 6-armed Eypharians Benshira Humans/Other
4-armed Eypharians 4-armed: 85%, 6-armed: 15%, Mutation: 5% 6-armed: 70%, 4-armed: 30%, Mutation: 15% 4-armed: 60%, Non-Eyph: 40%, Mutation: 0% 4-armed: 50%, Non-Eyph: 50%, Mutation: 0%
6-armed Eypharians 6-armed: 70%, 4-armed: 30%, Mutation: 15% 6-armed: 100%, Mutation: 25% 6-armed: 60%, 4-armed: 40%, Mutation: 0% 6-armed: 35%, 4-armed: 45%, Non-Eyph: 20%, Mutation: 0%

(I'll probably insert a more nicely-formatted version of the above as an image)
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Sayana on March 7th, 2015, 5:38 pm

I love the ideas and I love the background history (and consequences for mutations). However, I do not agree with the numbers/percentages in the table. Currently the numbers suggest that the Eypharian gene is very strong and easily increases the Eypharian numbers. Therefore, there would be no need to arrange marriages because the spread of the Eypharian gene spreads naturally and quickly. Additionally, the current lore for mixed-races (and in particular the Eypharian with another race) is that all offspring have only two arms and only some features like the pheromones and the gilded skin can be passed down with mixed parents.

So I went back to my knowledge on Mendel's law for dominant and recessive genes. The premise of Mendel's law is that each parent has two 'genes' that define a trait and they each randomly give one of those 'genes' to the child. These genes have a dominant form and a recessive form. The recessive trait can only be seen when both genes are of the recessive type. The dominant trait is seen when both genes are dominant OR if one is dominant and one is recessive. When analyzing the eypharians I assumed that 6-arms is most recessive, 4-arms is in the middle, and 2-arms is most dominant. This will create the dynamic that it is difficult to produce offspring with 6-arms and thus a program would have been created to ensure this purity.

I will refer to the genetics of the Eypharians as: 6-6 (full blooded 6-armed), 4-6 (4-armed with a 6-arm hidden gene), 4-4 (full blooded 4-armed), 2-6 (Benshira with 6-arm hidden gene), and 2-4 (Benshira with 4-arm hidden gene). I have always started with the lower number to emphasize that the lower number refers to the dominant gene that dictates what the person actually looks like.

Below is the detailed table:

6-armed (6-6) 4-armed (4-6) 4-armed (4-4) Benshira (2-6) Benshira (2-4)
6-armed (6-6) 100% 6-6 50% 6-6, 50% 4-6 25% 6-6, 50% 4-6, 25% 4-4 50% 6-6, 50% 2-6 50% 4-6, 50% 2-6
4-armed (4-6) 50% 6-6, 50% 4-6 25% 6-6, 50% 4-6, 25% 4-4 50% 4-6, 50% 4-4 25% 2-4, 25% 2-6, 25% 4-6, 25% 6-6 25% 2-4, 25% 2-6, 25% 4-4, 25% 4-6
4-armed (4-4) 25% 6-6, 50% 4-6, 25% 4-4 50% 4-6, 50% 4-4 100% 4-4 50% 2-4, 50% 4-6 50% 4-4, 50% 2-4

This summarizes to:

6-armed 4-armed Benshira
6-armed 100% 6-armed 37.5% 6-armed, 62.5% 4-armed 25% 6-armed, 25% 4-armed, 50% Benshira
4-armed 37.5% 6-armed, 62.5% 4-armed 6.25% 6-armed, 93.75% 4-armed 6.25% 6-armed, 43.75% 4-armed, 50% Benshira
Benshira 25% 6-armed, 25% 4-armed, 50% Benshira 6.25% 6-armed, 43.75% 4-armed, 50% Benshira 25% 4-armed, 75% Benshira

I can also properly flesh this out to include Humans/Other, but simply, other races would only produce beings with two arms. This is under the assumption that only Benshira have residual Eypharian genes in them and that humans and other races have no ancestry that is Eypharian.

Another thing I should note is that Benshira might have an even lower likelihood of Eypharian genes because they may intentionally avoid mixing with the Eypharians and if they happen to have an Eypharian child they would probably leave it in the desert to die. So my numbers with the chances of Benshira having Eypharian offspring might be inflated compared to reality.

Similarly, Eypharians might have higher percentages than listed due to their artificial selection.

ACK. I just realized I made a couple of big assumptions in my numbers. Mainly I didn't factor in different populations of the different types of Eypharians. I focused on individual patterns and assumed that each type of parent was just as likely to be present as another type.

I will have to take another stab at this at a later date. There are still certain things here that are bugging me but I'm sure there will be a good solution. Regardless, I'll post this in case you want to see my thought process.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Eypharian Race Rewrite

Postby Rosela on March 7th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Sayana, thanks for your feedback :)

I skimmed through because I'm actually cooking right now, but a big departure I made, which I should have mentioned somewhere in there, is that I tried to get away from our current knowledge of DNA and how genes work, especially in the idea that a trait can only by dominant OR recessive. I tried to base it more on how I picture djed, more of a fluid thing where traits are determined by the percentage of that trait's djed present in the total djed. Does that make sense? This was written in chunks over at least a week, so it's possible some of my ideas got a little jumbled.

EDIT: Ok, maybe ignore everything I said above. I think I need to talk to Goss here about how djed actually works in determining phenotypes and see what DNA's role in Mizahar is, and particularly how it interacts with djed. Thank goodness you're on the ball, Sayana, I spent all that time writing and never once considered my whole idea was off kilter...

FINAL EDIT: Ok, after consulting the gods/STs, it was previously decided that DNA works exactly the same, I just went a little too far off into my own world here. I'll be rewriting the necessary sections above (after my chicken's done), which actually isn't as much as I was afraid it'd be.
Last edited by Rosela on March 7th, 2015, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext