Closed Anything But Routine

Khara's assigned a fairly mundane task. Thankfully, she has company.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Anything But Routine

Postby Khara on March 13th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Khara hadn't expected the sudden outburst of emotion and at first she had wondered if she had done something horribly wrong, if there was some sort of ritual or meaning behind it that came from Zhol's homelands that she was oblivious to. And then he thanked her and she was pulled to him and the flurry of kisses dissolved all worry from her, leaving her instead breathless and happier than she had ever expected the simple gesture to make either of them. Her fingertips reached up and traced along his forehead before she realized the gloves she wore weren't going to make the touch as light and gentle as it normally was. Instead she gently placed her palm against his jaw and quickly found her feet going to toes again to close the difference between them so she could lightly kiss him in return.

"I am glad you find as much meaning as me with it." She softly admitted, knowing the words weren't quite right. Her arm lowered her hand, softly trailing it from his cheek down neck and shoulder until finally it paused just before where the small piece of linen was now tied. "It can mean two things, if you like. What it means to me as I said, and to you it can mean that a piece of me is with you whenever you wear it."

Her head rested against Zhol's chest for a moment, a slow breath drawn in as she wrapped her arms back around him. "I'm always with you, my love. You always carry my heart with you, but now you have something to remind you of that."

Another few breaths were allowed, ticks passed and then ever so reluctantly she withdrew from the hold they had on one another. "Come, we should keep going, though. We said we were not going to do this sort of thing and yet here we stand."

A gentle embarrassed laugh left her as her hands slipped into his. "The quicker I finish, the quicker we can go back to home," she promised and finally fully pulled away and took a breath to refocus on the task.

Turning back to the trees and the snow covered ground was almost impossible as every bit of her wanted to remain entirely focused on Zhol. She looked to the sapling once more before scanning the rest of the trees in the area and slowly walked through the thinly forested area.

"There should be more," she said, mostly for her own benefit and to help fully put her mind back on the migration route. "I think it's a territorial thing? Animals mark up trees in all kinds of ways for that reason. Sometimes it's just to tell others that they are here, other times it's a bit of a warning to keep out. I think I'll ask Orthin if he knows the reasons one of these days. Maybe I'll see if the Enclave has any answers so I don't have to keep bugging other people so much."

As Khara talked she looped around several of the trees, eying space above her normal eye level where a fully grown elk would be more likely to find easy access to. The first few trees gave nothing, there were other marks and scratches, but nothing she could easily identify or say for certain was made by the animals she needed to confirm had come through. Finally though, a larger tree had a large section of bark clearly scraped off. Rather than raw pale undergrowth, however, the damaged area was darker, already somewhat healed as best as the tree was going to be able to do so.

"See, this is what I was looking for." Khara said with a small nod of satisfaction. "I don't know how old it is, though. I would guess it gets darker the older it is since when they're really fresh they are very light because the wood underneath is newly exposed. This isn't new at all, though."

A slightly frustrated sigh left her at her again lack of knowledge on the subject that should have been the very foundation of what would answer the question of when the elk had passed through. "It could be from a few days ago or a few years for all I know. I guess I could try and use the hatchet you bought me to scrape away some bark next to it and see how much different it is."

Khara paused and glanced over her shoulder at Zhol, another embarrassed smile easily forming. "Sorry, I think I talk too much about nothing."

"Nari" | "Common" | "Pavi"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Anything But Routine

Postby Zhol on March 13th, 2015, 11:35 pm

He was supposed to be watching, but he wasn't; not anymore. His eyes kept flitting to his wrist, to the linen strip that his fingers couldn't stop gently playing with. There was something soothing about it, and he already knew it was something he was likely to do often: when he closed his eyes he could picture her face, and when he focused he could remember the sound of her voice, but there were plenty more senses that weren't pulling their weight when it came to recalling his beloved Khara; now his fingertips had a way to help.

As she explained the scuffed wood though - and as Zhol's mind struggled to understand it - he tried his hardest to focus. So that was what they were looking for. And the elk made those with their head spikes, rubbing them on trees to make others go away? It sounded like a strange thing to do, but then, the way that people had of showing what and where was theirs could often be far stranger.

"I am not mind," Zhol said, echoing Khara's smile as she glanced in his direction. "You am have voice is nice looking."

He frowned; that didn't sound right at all. Another flush of embarrassment; he could barely manage to form a simple factual sentence, what was he doing trying to fumble his way through a compliment? "Your voice is beautiful," he tried again. "You could talk all day about nothing at all, and I would not mind."
"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara, the letter Q, and the numbers 87 and 13.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Anything But Routine

Postby Khara on March 14th, 2015, 12:32 am

Khara could feel herself growing flustered again at the compliments, managed to respond with a smile that she hoped let Zhol know that the comments weren't unappreciated. As she moved onward to find the next tree with elk rubbings she let out a small sigh.

"I always have been told I talk to much. My mother said so, the teachers did when I was a Yasi, Azira said so - She actually made a rule that I wasn't supposed to talk on our huntings together unless she let me, I don't think she holds that so much anymore though. It's funny, I guess. I used to not talk so much at all when I was little. Probably because it was hard for me to talk at all. I think that's why my mother was worried I would become a Dek."

There was no sorrow in her voice, just matter of fact, even if she was admitting things that very few people actually knew about. There may have been a teacher or two that would still remember her as the tiny girl who stumbled over every word, who could barely get a single thought out past her own lips and so who rarely said anything; a far cry from the nervous rambler that Khara was today, even if she did still stutter from time to time.

Another tree with obvious elk-caused damage was examined, Khara running her gloved hand along the lighter area. There wasn't any resistance to the movement, the sap having long since dried. She did notice that it was lighter in color than the last tree, though. A stray thought occurred to her and she crouched down near the tree and began clearing some of the snow away from the ground surrounding it. If she could find prints or something, maybe it would have more information.

"I couldn't make words form. I don't know why. They said there was something wrong with me and some people said it would never get better but my mother didn't listen to them. She had someone help me before I became a Yasi so I wouldn't get picked on so much. It was hard, I had to recite a lot of simple things a lot over and over until I could say things without staggering."

Khara let out a slightly frustrated sigh at the lack of any sort of prints in the area she would have been expecting to find them if the animal had come at the tree a certain way. Not that she had really supposed she would find anything, even if only a season old there had been plenty of things that could have wiped away such marks. As she got back to her feet and brushed the snow off her hands she continued talking, not thinking anything she was doing was worth particularly noting.

"It all came back when I had to learn Common, though," she continued. "It was really bad, I didn't think I would ever get it right. But the same Chiet worked with me again and we made it so I'm okay. It still happens when I get really nervous, though. I'm sure you've noticed. But that would be how I always would talk if nothing had been done about it."

The next marked tree was stopped at and she once again looked back to Zhol, her face scrunching in thought for a moment before a dawning realization came upon her that changed the expression entirely into something akin to wonder. "I don't think I have told anyone that."

Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Anything But Routine

Postby Zhol on March 14th, 2015, 12:50 am

They said something was wrong with her? Before she was even old enough to be a Yasi? There was too much anger at that for Zhol's fury to even resolve; it just swam about, disjointed, frantic and frustrated and unable to find a way to be expressed. It explained so much; the timid reluctance to speak, all the worries she had about people judging her; how could they do that to her? How could the Inarta be so insensitive to inflict that upon a child?

That her mother had not given up on her though: that changed things inside Zhol's mind. Before, he had been wary of Khara's memories of her mother: the picture that Khara's stories had painted was of a harsh woman, one disappointed that her child failed to achieve standards that were impossible to reach; someone who sounded uncomfortably like Zhol's own father. But this was different. Pushing Khara to succeed had been a way to save her, a means of protecting her from the harshness of Inartan culture and the brutal judgement of her peers. Zhol wondered what else had been in that vein: was it the same with archery; had her mother's strict tutelage been to protect her from the kind of critical gazes that Zhol was so used to receiving?

Those thoughts didn't matter though; the past was the past, and what mattered now was Khara. The smile he offered was small, but that was all it needed to be: his eyes conveyed far more, speaking volumes about his utter adoration for the woman they beheld. "They were wrong about you," he said softly, with the utmost confident. "You are the most perfect person I have ever known, and everything I learn about you makes me even more sure."

His smile flared, a flicker of added gratitude. "Thank you for sharing with me. I -"

Whatever the end of the sentence had been intended to be, it crumbled apart, replaced by the only way such a sentiment should end. "- love you."
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Anything But Routine

Postby Khara on March 14th, 2015, 7:59 pm

It was a constant worry somewhere in the far back reaches of her mind, that one day she would let something about herself slip into Zhol's knowledge and it would unsettle him. She doubted it would cause him to actually distance himself from her or anything like that, but she just knew one day she would see the flicker of disappointment in his eyes that she would never be able to forget. It hadn't happened yet, though, and she was running out of small secrets very quickly. Not that she was actively keeping them from him, but just like her difficulties with speech when she was been young, they weren't things that Khara routinely thought about. It felt more like her own mind was keeping secrets from itself than anything else.

"I.. I.." She paused from completing the utterance. Not out of difficulty but that she wanted to try to say it different and wasn't sure if she could. Khara hadn't exactly asked Zhol how to say it, after all, but it was something she heard quite often. A sheepish smile accompanied the attempt, spoken slowly and uncertainly but tried anyway. "Is love also...?"

At least the grassland sign that followed was right, that she had plenty of practice with. Even if it was the single thing she ever learned of Zhol's first language, Khara would be happy. It was the one thing that no one else knew and it felt somehow untouchable, like the specialness of it could never be taken away.

The sight of the lighter area of damaged tree in the corner of her eye caused a sigh of resignation but Khara allowed herself a moment longer to watch Zhol's reaction to her jumble of Pavi that probably sounded horribly mangled. As she turned back to the tree Khara suddenly started at the realization it was much lighter than the others had been. A closer look showed her that there were beads of sap, dried but far more pronounced. A quick short trill of excitement left her as she noticed a bit of fur clinging to one of the edges of shredded bark. This wasn't old at all! She doubted it was made during the Winter at all, but it could have been left behind by some stragglers who had been taking advantage of the relatively mild season so far. Either way, it proved at least one elk had come through.

"I... I just need to confirm that it's not some just happenstance, but this is exactly what I needed!" Khara turned to Zhol and thought about what he could do to help, he seemed eager enough to and she certainly didn't want him to feel like he had just come along to hear her ramble.

Her eyes scanned around the nearby area, noticing the ground had far less snow on it, the larger trees able to keep most of it from falling through their branches. If it was recent enough, there should be other things they could find.

With a shy smile Khara nodded towards the ground. "There might still be some tracks, maybe droppings too. We can look together, if you want, maybe I can show you what an elk print looks like?"

Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Anything But Routine

Postby Zhol on March 14th, 2015, 9:07 pm

It didn't matter that she hadn't quite said it right: Zhol grinned just the same, broadly enough that it seemed as if his face might split in two if he were any happier. Signing his deep affection back to her took no effort at all; people said that certain words were forever on the tip of their tongue, and if that were true then his feelings for Khara were forever on the tips of his fingers, aching to be gestured at the slightest thought or briefest glance of her.

He'd almost reached the point when he thought his feelings for her couldn't get any stronger; and then she made the noise. Zhol had seen her happy before, he'd seen her relaxed enough to be herself around him, but this was something new. This passion, this excitement, this elated satisfaction at the part of her life that she seemed to think was too boring for Zhol to ever want to know about? The ground beneath him opened up, and he fell for her all over again. Until now, he'd thought that the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen was the first moments of seeing Khara beside him as he opened his eyes; or perhaps the look she gave him when her eyes met his, and her lips curved into that heart-melting smile; but no, this was it, this moment of pure, unrestrained, uninhibited joy was the undeniable most beautiful thing that had ever been, and in that instant it became his life's mission to witness it again as many times as he possibly could.

He didn't say it though, no matter how badly he wanted to race over to her, pin her against that tree, and keep kissing her until Syna fell and Leth rose up into the sky. They weren't meant to be doing this, impossible as it was to resist at times. She had work, and he owed it to her to respect that. Besides, there was something overwhelmingly attractive about this side of Khara - the one who spoke about things he couldn't possibly understand. Maybe it was the confidence, or the certainty, or the lack of reservation, but it was certainly something, something -

He grabbed those thoughts by the throat and hurled them deep in the back of his mind, forcing him to focus on what Khara was saying. Something about foot holes, something about them looking together? Zhol didn't care what it was; the together part was all he was interested in. "I am not knowing -" He frowned, unable to remember the word he wanted, even though Khara had only just said it. He stared down at his boots, hoisted one of them upwards, and gestured at the imprint left behind. "- where for to look for elk these?"
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Anything But Routine

Postby Khara on March 14th, 2015, 11:47 pm

She caught the way he was looking at her, the uninhibited smile that could only mean she had done something to cause it. It couldn't have been the suggestion he help find prints but-

Khara suddenly flushed at the realization of the small exhilarated shriek that had left her. She was very glad for Zhol's question as it kept her ability to be embarrassed to a minimum. Instead she was left trying to figure out how exactly to describe where to begin looking for other signs of the elk. Just look for prints, didn't seem a very good option as they were likely to be quite faded even if they did exist. It was a tough concept to put into words when it came as second nature to her.

A soft hum of thought left her and she stepped back away from the tree, eyes lowering to the ground. "There should be something right here. This isn't the quickest of things for them to so they must stand about for a while."

Lowering herself so she could see the ground more clearly once more she brushed aside some of the pine needles and scraps of bark that littered the area. This time the thrill of discovery was far easier to contain as she noticed the faint markings that once must have been clear prints. Only the harder edges were left, nothing like the clear shapes she was used to relying on; the indentations were there, however, overlapping one another as the elk must have adjusted its footing while it had rubbed its antlers against the tree. It was good, but not nearly the example she wanted if she was trying to show someone else.

"There's some here but they aren't fresh, so they don't look..." She trailed off and waved a hand towards the imprint that Zhol's boot had left. "So new."

Khara cleared away some more of pine needles and exposed more of the soft soil underneath before placing her finger to a clear area. As best from memory as possible she drew out two long ovals and then two smaller circles directly below each shape. It wasn't exactly correct, but she had only drawn out moose prints into her journal and she figured that her rough tracing into the dirt would at least give the impression she wanted.

"This is how they normally look," she explained, the bridge of her nose crinkling at the simplicity of it. "Mostly."

She pointed back to the shapes next to her that the elk had left behind, running her finger along but not touching one of the deeper grooves. "These here, they aren't fully the track anymore, just the deeper impressions that were left."

Her head turned to look over at Zhol, the smile reforming on her lips. "It's good though. If they were a few seasons old, they probably wouldn't even be here. The fact I saw these along with the newer rubbing probably means it was far more recent. That's pretty much what Orthin wanted me to confirm."

As she dusted the dirt off glove with the other, the scout straightened to her full - well, in comparison to Zhol it was more a lack of - height. A glance was cast upwards, Syna's rays still refusing to fully pierce the cloud cover but Khara thought she could still tell about where she rested in the sky and looked down on the two of them. "I think it is still a bit early to head back, though. One elk isn't exactly what they would want to hear about anyway."

Despite better judgement she reached out and took Zhol's hand in hers, a warm smile returning to her features. "Come on, let's see if we can find some more like this, okay?" A small pause was taken, her eyes lowering in thought before she turned back to him. "Maybe next time I do not have work I can come help what you do."

Whether Zhol was terrified by that prospect or enjoyed the thought of her joining him at the stables, Khara didn't see. A lighthearted laugh left her before she turned away once more and tugged on his hand as she lead him further along the trail. With a bit of luck she'd find exactly what was needed, if not then she could at least report what she had found so far. Either way she was getting to spend the day with Zhol and could only hope there would be more times when their jobs would allow for them to interact.

Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Anything But Routine

Postby Verilian on April 20th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Thread Award

Khara

• +1 Mountaineering
  • +4 Teaching
  • +3 Socializing
  • +1 Flirting
  • +5 Observation
  • +5 Tracking
  • +1 Drawing

Lores: Going on a Dreary Task, Traversing the Treacherous Stairs, How to Mime a Moose, Elks rub Antlers against Trees, Using Colored Ribbons as Markers, Zhol is Safety, Tracking: Elk Prints, Drawing Elk Prints in the Dirt,

Zhol

• +2 Socializing
  • +2 Tracking
  • +3 Flirting
  • +1 Observation

Lores: Excited about seeing another side of Khara, Worried about being Useless, Zhol the Pack Horse-Boy, Khara doesn't want to be alone with her Thoughts, Struggling with Nari, Recognizing Game Trails by looking for Dead Space, How to Mime a Moose, Elks rub Antlers against Trees, Using Colored Ribbons as Markers, Red means safe.. and so much more, Khara is Home, Khara had Trouble Talking in her Youth, Tracking: What an Elk Print Looks Like

Notes: Ah, always so fun to read your threads. You two are so cute, lol. Anyway, great job as always. Keep it up, keep writing, and if you have any questions, concerns, or feel I missed anything, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to give the thread a second look

Also, please edit your post in the request thread to reflect that it has been graded.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous