Friend in Need (Ricky)

Pulren gets an old friend to lend a hand.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 20th, 2015, 4:58 am

Pulren listened to his elders. They were elders for a reason. He also listened to his superiors as they had achieved their post by valor and strength. Finally, he listened to his friends, for they generally had his best interests at heart. All of these things could be said for Sergeant Rick. These reasons were why he didn't completely blow off the advice given. He really wanted to listen to it and absorb it, but he was also confused by it. "I hear ya, Sarge. But you are already there. I have learned that while I am not unskilled, I can only get so far on what I know. Beyond that, I feel like there is a kind of fire inside of me that wants to break free and if I just relax and do nothing it will go out like an unattended hearth."

As they moved the desk and chair back, it took more patience and attention as the chair tried to wobble this way and that. It was a fine chair and he wouldn't have it falling and getting all nicked up. The slower pace gave him the time to hear out what had been happening. He was glad he had missed the starvation, though the Quay wasn't so stocked as some kind of palace. He could tell that Rick had been doing some soul searching. He knew it could be a grim business, that. Not for the faint of heart. It was darker inside Pulren's chest than any night he had faced.

Once the desk and chair was in place, they returned to the dock again. Only three items left: A dresser, a bed and a bookcase. The dresser seemed the next best thing, as the bookcase wasn't so large that one of them couldn't get it by themselves. Taking up his end, he looked at Rick as they began to move again. "I guess I understand what you mean about the Guard, but there aren't many other opportunities for me here. Having been to two other dismal places, I can see that going somewhere else isn't going to solve my problems. I need money. I need strength and skill. I need knowledge. All of these things lie here in our hometown. You know?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on April 22nd, 2015, 5:03 am

If anything Ricky has always been the type to at least try and understand everything, usually from a different outlook rather than his own if it served more useful. In this case of course such a thing wasn't really necessary, as he could understand and even relate to Pulren's own words. While from an outer perspective one could easily assume what Pulren talked of could easily be marked as ambition or the need to do something, Ricky knew all to well the man had reached that state in his life. It was the sense of purpose or need, an inner desire to achieve what felt important, or at least what seemed to matter most. Maybe it'd been a hunch of Ricky's and he'd gotten the wrong idea, or maybe he'd come close to understanding it even a little. Either way the road and it's path weren't his to follow, it was the man who decided to follow it on his own terms, and in this case it seemed Pulren knew what road he wanted to take. All Oi can do is just be 'is guide, t' try an' show 'im de way. He mused with a silent sigh as they continued their move, he couldn't help but grin before too long and even then, he still felt the need to share what little else he had.

"Aight t'en lad, follow whatever path ye need. Do what ye feel is best, an' do it wit' no regrets. Ye got other's in Zeltiva 'ere t' support ya, should de time come when ya need it." He reassured the guard as they finally made it to the house once more, with this cargo finally dropped off all that remained was a few more pieces of furniture. Once they returned to the docks once more the bookshelf seemed to be next, which Ricky of course went along with Pulren's own lead, and grasped at his end with a firm grip. At the reasoning that everything Pulren needed being here in Zeltiva, Ricky nodded with an "Aye," at first but needed to express his own thoughts on it as well. "Strength, skill, money, and knowledge, what do t'ey all 'ave in common t'ough?" He asked in a rhetorical sense before the speech continued. "T'ey 're all material t'ings, at least t'ey 're t' me anyways. What Oi mean is d'at while t'ey may serve as useful t'ings t' 'ave, d'ey aren't vital in order t' obtain true happiness lad." He explained as they continued to move the bookshelf along, he had to make sure they wouldn't bump any one along the way a couple of times. "Oi'll admit Oi've reached a place where I should be as happy as Oi can be, but in truth Oi struggle a lot o' de time."

He showed no shame in admitting it, even one who appeared so cheery had issues, in truth there were many reasons. Many things that made him into the paragon of optimism he was today, and yet even so that wasn't enough to serve as a bane to all his own personal demons. "While Oi dunno what ye want out o' life yet, Oi can only say make sure ye know it's what yew yer self really want Pul. Yer young an' a lot o' times might be challenged, just t' see how strong yer resolve is. If ye want whatever ye're after badly enough, t'en no obstacle is big enough t' stand in yer way. Ye just gotta bear in mind de world around ya, who is t'ere t' follow ya and guide ya... and what truly is important t' ya before ye make any big leaps int' de unknown." He had honestly not expected to rant on in the manner he did so, yet every word he shared had been expressed straight from the heart. He cared enough for Pulren and wanted to see the young man succeed in his own way, yet it also felt important to prepare him for the possibilities of trouble that lied ahead. Failure, misfortune, circumstance. These were just a few of the many things many people tended to forget, but for some reason they were the constant reminds that rang out in Ricky's own mind.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 24th, 2015, 2:14 pm

As they returned to the docks for the dresser, Pulren remained quiet, letting the words that Rick had said settle in his mind. Taking up his end of the dresser, a little sweat came from his temples. The constant work was one thing but he had forgotten that the finer dresser meant heavier and better wood. At least they were nearly done and he could relax. He was glad to have Rick's help, as he would have had to hire porters for sure.

"Wise words, my friend. I'll have to think about if there is something I really want. Does it matter how realistic it is? Or do you mean literally anything is possible?" If Sarge meant that anything was possible, that opened up many worlds and possibilities. What truly made Pulren happy? Where did he find his heart at peace? Each thought brought the muffled calm of the deep ocean. Only when he found himself submerged and gliding through the brackish green did he really feel natural. He felt like he was truly born in the ocean and that is why he found himself in its womb so often.

The physical activity aided Pulren in letting his mind wander, dreams of swimming and diving common in his imagination. Something else floated to the surface in his mind. All of Rick's lecturing seemed to carry some unspoken weight or burden within them, hence the constant warnings. "Is there something heavy on your heart, Rick? Your warnings sound like you yourself have been in some kind of trouble. Do you want to talk about it?" Maybe it would help Pulren to also help his friend with his own problems.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on April 30th, 2015, 4:20 am

Once they returned to handle the dresser next Ricky hadn't considered the weight of the furniture, and therefore felt his arms actually strain quite a bit from the exertion with previous heavy lifts. Still even after a couple of grunts he managed to hold his own with the weight and supported it well enough, so the trip wouldn't be so difficult while he listened to what else Pulren had to mention next. Needless to say it brought a good short laugh out of him when he paid attention, the question taken in a matter of personal debate before he could conjure up a reasonable answer. "Well lad d'at is on yew if ya t'ink about it. D'ere 're some t'ings in de world d'at cannot be made or done, but some t'ings actually can if ye work 'ard enough an' believe it will be so." He realized that the wisdom in that could more or less stand for interpretation, tricky more or less because it indirectly answered the question anyhow. "It's like d'is; what ye want wit' gainin' more skill an' power, t'ey 're entirely possible t' achieve because t'ey 're real. Material at best. Happiness comes from a better sense o' de immaterial... Oi t'ink?" He started to blather on now, aware that his own philosophical discussion might've gotten a little carried away.

"Bah! In simpler terms mate anyt'in is possible, ye just gotta work hard an' believe one day ye'll make it happen." He simplified with a wry smile as he hoped that brief conclusion would serve, it had certainly delivered better than the nonsense he tried spouting earlier. Perhaps he was getting old finally and the age was catching up to him, although he couldn't really think or approve that until he were another ten years older. Once that had come to pass however and Pulren looked engaged with his own thoughts, Ricky did nothing to interrupt the boy while they moved the dresser along the route. Before he knew it though it seemed the younger guardsmen picked up a hint of something, perhaps that feeling of forebode Ricky felt when he expressed his concerns earlier. He hadn't really paid attention to how strongly he delivered his previous hints earlier, just more or less the message that resided in them as they were more important. With a rather satirical chuckle he did his best to shrug the question off, only to find that at the same time it hurt trying to hide his own personal issues.

"O'ive had me fair share o' experiences over time lad, ye were t'ere ya self fer a couple o' em. Really t'ough Oi'm doin' much fine now t'en Oi was back t'en, so t'ere's no need t' worry as t' whether Oi'm okay." He reflected content where there could've been hidden anguish, a sense of brooding that once was left unchecked however already started to pass. In truth there had been a lot on his mind here lately and with the way things grew quiet, it had been a long time coming since he finally reflected back upon all his past obstacles. Now that he'd been here though? He felt happy sure but at times that happiness wasn't as bright as usual, although it had been more or less his own doing for reasons that he pertained stupid at best. "Besides," He countered, "we're talkin' about yew mate! Oi know ye've a lot t' t'ink about, but Oi want ya t' know Oi'm 'ere. Oi'll always be 'ere when ye need a hand or a word, ya need only t' come and ask me is all." He assured the guardsman as they reached the house once again, it looked as though they were just about done with the move in part.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on May 17th, 2015, 8:36 am

The pair managed to get the rest of the items moved without much fuss. The bed had been a little bit of a problem due to the fact that it was largely disassembled and the bedding was awkward to carry. Now, all of it had been moved however and Pulren found himself in his new cottage with all of his belongings. It was a good feeling to finally have it all done. Of course, there was still plenty to do but at least he had managed to get it inside before it rained. A wordless prayer to Zulrav for ignoring the Zeltivan for a few bells. Now it was time to begin organizing the chaos and being hospitable to his guest and friend, Rick Maze.

Pulling down the chair, he placed it near the window, opening it and allowing the cool sea breeze to blow into the one room domicile. Flourishing toward it, he said, "Please sit. Thanks for helping me, man. That would have been next to impossible to attempt on my own." Chuckling to himself, he set about to pushing the utilitarian bunk that came in the standard cottages into one corner, placing the old and moldy chest left behind on it as well. Turning it to one side, he then stepped up to his own chest and bent with his knees, lifting it with a bit of strain and placing it on the bunk as well. Opening it, he could see all of his life up to this point inside of it.

Looking around the space he had, he knew it was going to be a tight fit. "I appreciate your words of wisdom, Sarge. You always seem to have the right mindset about things. I guess that comes with the stability of family life and whatnot." Scratching his head, he slid the headboard of his bed up to the far wall near the corner he had just started arranging, lining out the slats and footboard to get an idea about the space he needed. "I don't know if I will ever be a family man, but I certainly try to be a good friend to those who matter to me." Walking near him, he looked out of the window. It wasn't a remarkable view, being mostly of the cottage nearby and some greenery. If he craned his neck, he could see the thoroughfare of people as they milled about. It wasn't terrible. He was glad he had a little bit of privacy.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on May 22nd, 2015, 5:06 am

After the last piece of Pulren's furniture had been moved into his new establishment, Rick allowed himself the ease one felt after a good stretch once such heavy lifting had passed. After a couple of low pops felt within his upper back and shoulders from the raise of his arms, a pleased sigh to follow as he looked towards the chair that Pulren had motioned for him. With a nod towards his younger friend to show appreciation Ricky accepted the seat, a soft titter to follow as he smiled from Pulren's own appreciation. "No need fer t'anks lad, Oi would easily do it over again just t' help ya out. T'ough Oi probably wouldn't advise it, granted some o' dis stuff can break an old codger's back." He jested in a manner that would've easily suggested him as the old codger, granted he did feel like he was getting up to that point at least.

Twenty-eight years worth of living and so far Ricky still felt vibrant enough to keep on going, but there were also days where he felt old as dirt sometimes and often his bones would agree. Though that depended on what he did or what activities he kept that granted such a boon, either way he really didn't know when to expect himself to be considered "old" in the end. "Aye. It does give cause t' slow down and see the bigger picture in everythin'." He agreed as he felt humbled with Pulren's thanks, it wasn't too often Ricky found someone to take to heart, whatever words of wisdom he had to share in their moments of conversation. A brief "heh" carried out under his breath when the Zeltivan before him shrugged the idea of being a family man, the same notion somehow revived in Ricky from a time where he once felt the same.

"Believe me it starts out t'at way actually." He reasoned as he glanced between Pulren and out the window, although his own view of the outside wasn't great he could still see the sky at least. The way Synna's rays of warmth shone through and met with the cool kiss of the sea breeze, even that felt enough to bring a sense of relaxation to the father's mind. "Oi'd always t'ought Oi would be a single man wit' little priorities t' worry about, figured Oi wouldn't need anybody except fer me self too really. Guess Oi just had a bit o' a hard time allowin' myself t' relate t' others." The reasoning hid more or less back story as to what those times really were like, more often than not Ricky found himself compelled to disassociate with others. Of course Natalie had severely impacted his life in different aspects at the time, and of course when he looked back on it all now; he really felt himself naive in comparison.

"But sure enough y' let one good friend grow close, and anot'er gives ya de roi nudge later on. Telion an' Oi probably wouldn't be together now, if Oi didn't 'ave someone give me d'at push when d'ey did." He admitted with a soft smile on his face as he thought more about it, he really did play the bigger fool at the time and failed to look below his nose. It was all there so plainly yet he didn't wish to read into it, mostly because he became too adamant to the idea of changing things. "Ye're still young t'ough, Oi wouldn't worry 'bout it until ye got a few more years on ya." He teased with a chuckle on the side, he then placed his hands comfortably onto his legs as he leaned into the chair some. "O' course," He added with a smile, "Oi'll still be around t' help ya however Oi can."
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on May 27th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Pulren was in now way surprised about the family man advice. He had brought it up, after all. Rick was a complex individual and was eternally optimistic, a trait that Pulren sought. Sunberth had put a heavy weight around the lad's neck and he wanted to be free of it. Moving in today was the first of many steps toward that and any other goal he would have. He remained silent, for the most part, spending his time organizing the house. Looming nearby was his chest he had purchased, which held everything that wasn't furniture, which meant almost everything.

Swinging the beast open, he looked inside, his hands feeling about, insuring that everything was intact. Memories began swarming his chest an his head, his own distant smiles coming to his face. Rick was speaking about his wife and how they wouldn't have been together if someone hadn't given him a push. "Sometimes a push is all it takes, my friend." His mind went to the Hot Springs, the only place where he had come anywhere near any kind of partnership. Sunberth had shown Pulren many things, more than he could have ever found in his hometown. He wasn't done, though. Not by a long shot.

His clothes were all on top, folded to conceal and also to aid in packing. Since the bed was mostly assembled, he began putting the clothes on it to get down to his other items. He was excited about moving in and getting everything unpacked. Gingerly removing an oddly shaped item wrapped in a pair of his blue undergarments, Pulren handed it over to RIck. Once unwrapped, the Sarge would fin a half filled inkwell and some quills to which Pulren would nod toward the desk ." No worries, Sarge. They're clean." He chuckled and shortly after tossed him his book. If opened, it would reveal maps and locations as well as various names of people or places.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on June 7th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Ricky more or less watched for a chime as the clouds seemed to sway and move about as they chose, while the sound of clicking and things moving about drew his attention span over to Pulren once again. The guard looked to be rummaging through personal effects, things he'd brought back home from where he'd gone, he no doubt had quite a lot of souvenirs to keep for sentimental value. With the murmur of a push being all it took, Ricky agreed with an amused chuckle towards the comment. He could never have spoken truer words when he said that, as Ricky knew he'd had several distinct pushes in his life. Natalie, Telion, and of course Priskil's own intervention had been a big push on its own. Aside from these however? Many times he'd come to feel his friends influence at work, their own ability to push him forward was what drove him to be in the guard after all.

"Sound like ye've already been pushed yer self lad." He tested with a bit of a smirk, his fingers entangled with one another while he spiraled his thumbs systematically. He hadn't any clue as to what Pulren had pulled out, but when it had been held for him to take, he displayed a look of consideration due to the fact it was located in his unmentionables. "If ya say so mate!" He snorted after he took the items and moved towards the desk, as he placed them down however he found his curiosity got the better of him. A quick glance into it revealed what contents were at the front, and a map based on the Sylira region and several of it's cities. Then this list which appeared to bear several names he hadn't come across, at least not in any books or documents found within the library anyways. Taloba however seemed present, and he knew that name from a friend who'd came from there.

Interestin'. He admitted quietly as he closed the booklet, hopeful he wouldn't be found nosy for prying a little, seeing as how it wasn't entirely his business to peek into things. "With Telion bearin' another child Oi'll admit Oi'm a lil' worried, she puts on a strong front but Oi know it's hard on 'er." He admitted as he turned to Pulren, ready to help put away whatever else his friend needed help with. "She'd lost one mid autumn last year, so ye can understand me reason fer worryin'." He gave a simple shrug and found himself curious about another matter, well enough to ask what Pulren might have to suggest. "But other t'en d'at Oi'm curious! What d' ya t'ink it'll be? Oi'd love t' 'ave anot'er boy but wouldn't mind a girl. Got any suggestions fer names in mind? " He definitely wanted to hear what names Pulren might come up with, seeing as how it might actually get him a little more involved with the family idea.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Dove Brown on March 22nd, 2016, 7:31 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Pulren Marsh
Skills
  • Negotiation 1
  • Storytelling 1
  • Investigation 2
  • Bodybuilding 4
  • Planning 2
  • Endurance 1
  • Prayer 1
Lores
  • Ricky: an old friend
  • Wave Guard don't deny their own
  • Ricky: taking a break from the Guard
  • Ricky: having a second child
  • Ricky: helped me move in
  • Philosophy: if you want something enough, obstacles won't stop you
  • Remember what really matters

Ricky Maze
Skills
  • Bodybuilding 5
  • Planning 1
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Intelligence 1
  • Philosophy 2
  • Endurance 1
Lores
  • Pulren: left and returned
  • Pulren: an old friend
  • Just taking a break from the Guard
  • Feeling old
  • Helping Pulren move back in
  • Philosophy: if you want something enough, obstacles won't stop you
  • Remember what really matters

Comments: Enjoy your grades
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Previous