Closed [World's End Grotto] Three's a Crowd (Aider, Kaie)

An interestingly-planned welcome quickly derails.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[World's End Grotto] Three's a Crowd (Aider, Kaie)

Postby Kaie on April 7th, 2015, 8:57 pm

She was doing it again. Watching, waiting for a catastrophe as if she worried something would change. As if civility was more like pulling teeth than politely smiling. It was troubling to her that their meeting, that the three of them standing in the same room, should be a cause for any concern. That's Sunberth coming back to haunt you, she scolded herself. Then again, maybe he was always right. You keep expecting danger from the wrong places. Introductions were exchanged, and while Aider's was familiar to her, she couldn't help but feel strange about having never known Matthew's last name until this point.

"Wouldn't be anything new," she shrugged to his comment about her race being unwelcome. For most of her life overseas she'd dealt with that fact. The looks, the hateful or fearful stares, the intentional shoulder bumps, and the sharp tongues upon her discovery. It was easiest to just throw up her cloak hood. Her lack of piercing and tattoos certainly helped, too. "Perhaps we will take you up on the tour offer. I'd like to be better aware of my surroundings." Eyes shifted absently to Aider to gauge his reaction. Is that something he would want? There was little room to ponder, for the moment Kaie turned back to Matthew, the harlot's eyes practically shined with some sort of revelation.

Oh, gods.

He was making his offer well before she could so much as part her lips to stop him. The harlot was moving quickly, one thing after another. Faster he was than she could address any of them. The Myrian blinked. The Harlot moved toward the loveseat. She didn't even want to look at Aider's reaction, and very quickly she was glad she didn't have that ability to read the minds of others after all. Her previous adventures in the last city had made her bitter, angry, less inclined for mercy. And yet there was only one way in which she could handle the spontaneous turn in conversation: humor.

"You know what?" Kaie gave Aider a playful punch on the shoulder. Spear gestured toward one of the beds. "I think you two would do well to get to know each other better anyway, since we'll be living together and all now. Why don't you two share one of the beds tonight? That way you can kill two birds with one stone...and I'll find something else to occupy my time while you're at it." Despite her joke, she couldn't help but admit she was intrigued by a mutual boredom of coin. In the way Matthew thirsted for knowledge, Kaie had sought out favors when it came to trades of services. Find this information for me, what faction runs this quarter, and where can I find so-and-so? Such was the nature of the beast, and essential to her survival last season.

"The, um, feedback? I don't think that will be necessary just yet, but we thank you, Matthew." Something told her she and Aider hadn't crossed that kind of threshold just yet...though the look she gave him made it clear she also wanted him to speak on his own behalf upon such matters. The Myrian eyed the two beds before she approached the one to Matthew's left. With a relieved sigh, the backpack was removed from her shoulders and tossed onto the bed. Her frame sunk down upon it not long after.

"Wound?" From her sitting position on the bed, Kaie's eyes widened in surprise for a tick. Then they shifted to Aider, who she suddenly realized mentioned something about her healing. She cleared her throat and her expression remained rather facetious. "We had some trouble before the ship. It's healing better now. Don't worry about me."

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aider Silander on April 8th, 2015, 12:45 am

He looked at Matthew with a faint confused look on his face. “Nyka is…. an…. well to be honest I am not sure how to describe it. I have not been back, nor had any interest in doing so since I left.” he said glancing at Kaie. She was part of the reason that he didn’t want to return to Nyka, knowing that if he did return that the chance of seeing her again dropped almost completely. Though he was not sure he wanted to return for himself. His parents were the only family that he could remember in the city and a man of his age had no reason to return to his parents home at this point. “It can be colorful and exciting during the festivales. Every day the streets are filled with colors of different types. Brawls breaking out in bars and on streets is not uncommon and the monks have no problem settling them when they do. However… Most of the people have had their minds closed by those in power. They are all simple minded and do not take interest in many of the races of the world, though I guess the same could be said about many places. Besides Nyka is not a place that I call home. It is just a starting point.” Aider chewed on his tongue, the idea of returning home had not entered his mind since a few days in his stay in Sunberth. His eyes fell upon Kaie again, his people were different then he. His mind was open to the many possibilities that the world could offer and that of her people.

His mind returned to the present as he heard his name mentioned by the two others.
“A tour would be nice and different is probably a good thing. I would like a place to bath though.” he said with a shrug. “But if Kaie would like to rest, I can let you two catch up and head out on my own.” He walked over to the bed that Kaie had chosen for herself. He removed his pack with a grunt and placed it on the floor near his feet. The ride on the sea had not been kind of the man who had spent his life on land. His muscles ached and he imagined sinking into a pool of warm water to relax them. He looked back at Matthew and chuckled slightly, “I can always find another room. Like I said, I do not want to intrude. I do not take any offense to not being included in your original plan. You did not know about me and no one can tell the future” he said before feeling Kaie’s punch connect with his shoulder. He shook his head and rolled his eyes at her. “I would rather not. No offense intended” he said, his eyes glancing back towards Matthew.

“Kaie is correct, I do not believe that services of that kind will be needed. I believe I am doing just fine on my own. Though I may have another use for your services later.” he chuckled. He sat down on the edge of the bed next to Kaie and sighed. His body ached in rejoice as his muscles relaxed into the cushion. He waited for a few ticks and nodded. “We both managed to secure some injuries with our last few weeks in Sunberth and while what Kaie said about her healing is true. She still needs to be careful.” he said looking at there, his eyes housing a mixture of caring and teasing. “She may not see it as a big deal, but it would be hard for her to return to her home as Kaie of the Cutthroat Shadows and not just a Myrian soul” he said, clearing his throat.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander
She has my heart on the end of her blade.

Words: 170163
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on April 8th, 2015, 1:32 am

Matthew perched pristinely on his seat, one leg crossed over the other and hands folded upon his knee, looking perfectly at home in a position where he could equally study the two lovers in turn. From this position, all it took was a simple flick of his steady gaze to switch from Myrian to Nykian. Was that the correct term for a person who was born from the same city as Aider was? The Harlot sunk teeth into his lower lip, thoughtfully pondering the sudden question. "Hm. It sounds like a very interesting place. I had never heard of Taloba before I met Kaie. There is such a wide variety of places among this world of ours. One day I think I'd like to see them all. But it would be nice to have somewhere to settle down. A home, as most people seem to call it." Matthew's handsome face grew distant for a tick, eyes staring at something far away. "Odd. I've never really thought about it until now."

Snapping back to attention, he nodded in acceptance as Kaie and Aider politely denied his offer. "The offer is certainly always on the table if either of you decide you would be interested. No offense taken, Aider. Don't either of you take it as an insult. Have you ever noticed that there are flaws that only others can point out to you? Perhaps in fighting technique, or some other learned skill? I've found the same applies to seduction and all that can potentially follow."

After a moment more of consideration, those gears spinning at a rapid pace behind those clear blue eyes, Matthew eventually unfolded himself from the chair and stood tall. "But no, I insist. You are welcome to share a bed with me, Aider. I do not require much space. If you are uncomfortable with such close quarters, I can certainly find my own room. I would be insulted if you did not allow me the pleasure of giving you some sort of gift." The social skills Matthew had acquired over the years were slowly beginning to show, his words polite but somehow starting to press at Aider from multiple tactical angles.

As Kaie casually dismissed the wound, only for Aider to clarify that it was actually something to be concerned about, Matthew turned to face the Myrian with a sharp stare. For a moment he merely stood there, but his eyes suddenly became much more active. They danced upon her, flicking back and forth between key locations, the Harlot skillfully studying for any evidence of a wound that she was attempting to hide. After a moment, his gaze rose to her amber one, holding her own stare with a blank expression upon his face.

Then with a flowing turn, Matthew faced Aider, eyes connecting with his own. "A bath for us all, then. I will show you the way. It will be quickest that way and I am due a bath anyways." It would perhaps only take a tick for the lovers to realize Matthew had just scheduled a shared bath with the three of them. The Harlot didn't wait for them to absorb the idea or express agreement versus disapproval. Instead, there was a motion to follow, and then he would guide them right to the bath house that Zeltiva offered.
Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kaie on April 8th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I am not weak!

Those were the words she wanted to spit when her head snapped to Aider. Brow slammed together in silent frustration. The initial attack that wounded her was infuriating enough. She had been so careless, so dead-set on catching the escaping leader that she forgot to fear the edge of his sword. The ravaged flesh upon her rib had put a temporary end to her battle for the Scars. Several days later when it came time depart upon the ship from the harbor, the plight of her surviving family had drawn her from the bowels of the ship's hull to engage in the bloody conflict once again. Zedra, one of her own kind, had reopened her mending injury and plunged the two into what Kaie believed would be their icy grave. That time, too, she had escaped Dira, but only under the care of her allies. Now the infected tissue that wrecked havoc on her had ceased, and liberation from her incapacitation was in sight. She'd be damned if anyone stood in her way to limit her now, even if that person had undeniable merit to their point. Even if they did it because they believed they loved her.

"Like I said, I'm fine," was all Kaie dared to insist on the matter for fear her acquired bitterness would sharpen her tongue like a sword. Part of her wondered why her recent lover had been so quick to make repeated offers to detach himself from the trio. Does he want his own room? Would he prefer to be alone? The Harlot seemed to be testing the Nykian, too, though she wasn't sure he did so on purpose. In any case, the Myrian was finding their situation more complex in even the smallest, seemingly insignificant ways.

Fire met ice without fear. Kaie returned Matthew's sharp gaze with her own, digging her own metaphorical heels into the dirt. There was a self-assuredness in her amber eyes. A self-fulfilling prophecy. And still she knew he knew. He always knew when she was being facetious, shrinking larger things until they were so very small that they were quickly forgotten. Perhaps he found no weakness in her guilty soul when he'd searched, for in a tick he had changed pace to address Aider's needs. A bath? Her expression softened. Surely her hair still smelled very much of the sea, the salty aroma lingering on her bronze skin from the ship ride over. It wasn't often the Myrian resigned below deck. Not even while she suffered.

Before Matthew gave either newcomer a chance to agree or disagree, he was striding swiftly from the room. There was a small voice in her head that questioned whether it was all a ploy. Is he merely being a good host and leading Aider to that bath he wanted? Or is he being too smart for his own good and forcing me into a position where he'll casually be able to take a look at my wound himself? Only one thing was clear: denial wasn't an option. She shrugged at her companion and found her feet again. In a chime she was out the door following him, only shooting back a wayward comment to the Nykian before she disappeared through the door.
"Technically, you asked for it."

It wasn't long before they were back down the stairs, passing the smiling Grotto owner, and back into the Zeltivan streets. Now she was pushing it. No spear. Nothing to noticeably lean on. The cloak hood was back up to conceal her hair and shadow her obviously exotic face. The cloak itself hid most of her Falyndar attire, and it was the ignorance of the eastern barbarians to her people she prayed would have them mistake her for a mixed blood or some other. The Harlot might've noted she was slower, walking just off at his right flank rather than beside him or trying to slightly over take him. Now and then her left hand would disappear beneath her cloak to clutch her side, her lips would twitch downward, or her eyes would tighten. But that was all.

"This bath house? What is it called?" She asked as Matthew guided them in its direction through the streets. After all, it was probably for the best she got to know places of interest by name and sight sooner rather than later.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aider Silander on April 9th, 2015, 1:43 am

Aider sighed and looked down towards the floor. He would like to see them all, even Matthew had a plan and Aider was just sitting there. Rolling with the tide wherever it took him. He had no set path for himself like Kaie had and no dream like Matthew. He bit down on the inside of his cheek when he looked towards Kaie, an obvious look of annoyance on her face. Her words were sharp and quick, piercing the momentary silence between the three. The man pinched the bridge of his nose with two fingers and rubbed tiny circles into it. He had not realized that he had let his mouth run as if he were trying to convince some Nykian monk that Kaie was not a Myrian but a tan and well built human. Matthew was neather a Nykian nor a monk and Aider took in a shallow breath to center himself. Kaie probably was fine, she had more experience in the way of the violent world then he did. She had probably seen her fair share of cuts and bruises. Aider's hand found it's way to his hip where it gently touched the place hidden under his shirt. The place where he had a dagger impaled into his skin.

The night that him and Kaie had met in that graveyard and fight there way out. He had experienced her savage side before in a lesser means when she thought he was a nobody and tried to kill him. But this side was completely different, she was fighting not only for herself but for him to and the day on the docks was no different. He cleared his throat and looked back up towards the two.
"She is probably right. I am sure that it has healed just fine and I am just being a bit of... Well a bit of something" he said his lose of words apparent in his speech. "My friend there are many flaws in everything I do. If someone was to point them all out we would die of old age before they finished" He looked up at Matthew with a small smile.

He shook his head and chuckled.
"That is not needed Matthew, if Kaie will not allow me to sleep beside her. I shall just take the floor. It wouldn't be the first time. I appreciate the offer, even though I may not seem like it. It has been a while since I have seen any for of hospitality aside from the Scars. I fear that my manners have slipped in the past seasons." Manners and trust, something Nykian could hand out like they were loafs of bread before his time in Sunberth. He wondered just how much the city had changed him. How much more of this other side he would experience and take notice two as both sides of him began to battle for control. It was a rather unnerving idea, that he would not know who he is. That he might become someone that he did not even recognize himself. He watched Kaie quickly rise to her feet and follow Matthew out of the room. Her words echoing in his mind and he bit his own tongue.

He wondered if she had any idea how nervous he was. How being in the room with the man she shared a room with before he made it to Sunberth. He knew very little about Matthew to begin with, and Kaie reassuring for his skills did not ease his mind one bit. He followed behind them both at a distance that only Kaie's spear would be able to reach out for him. He remained quiet through the trip. Churning the thoughts and questions in his head as he absentmindedly followed them. He could tell that he had upset Kaie with his words. Calling out her wound to the man and saying that she should rest. She was stronger then he in a physical way and her body could probably handle the wound better then his own. Many of the scratches and cuts on his leg had left scars and others reminders of what had happened. He snapped back to attention looking towards Kaie as she walked ahead of him, wondering if he should even bother to apologize or if that would just make the Myrian even more annoyed.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on April 9th, 2015, 6:33 pm

The air had shifted and Matthew didn't at all understand why. He pondered it as he guided the two lovers through the city, making sure that he didn't pull too far ahead of them. It only took him a few ticks to notice that the Myrian was moving a little less quickly than he remembered, actually wincing and seemingly caressing a veiled wound every so often. So was she fine or was she not fine? Perhaps her idea of fine was different than most. He had seen the same sort of thing with Razkar, who was really the only other Myrian he had as a point of reference.

Reaching within himself for the Djed that flowed through his veins, Matthew discarded his thoughts about Kaie's potential wound. There were other things to focus on. If he put some of his more hidden talents to use, perhaps he could come to better understand the current situation. If he did it this way, he wouldn't even have to turn around and actually look at them.

Burning just a trickle of Djed to empower his Auristics, auras began to life around the Harlot. He discarded most of them, ignoring their colors and sounds, focusing on the two that were following him. "Zastoska's Bath House." Matthew answered Kaie's question simply and shortly, preoccupied with puzzling out the multiple tensions that were in the air. From Kaie, there seemed to be a taste of defiance mixed in with the passionate crimsons and dripping blood reds of her aura. From Aider, there was an almost sad music, sort of distant and lost. It was mixed with what Matthew assumed was nervousness, though he couldn't be sure. It was odd how using magic seemed to help all these things make sense in his mind. Would he perhaps be able to read his own aura to understand his own emotion? He doubted it. It seemed different for some reason, though he did not know the logic behind these differences. Focusing his magic on Kaie's aura, he examined the area she had been tenderly touching every so often, soaking in the details of the wound for a few ticks. Letting go of his magic and ceasing to burn the amount of Djed required, Matthew turned a final corner, bringing the trio to suddenly face the Bath House.

Matthew led them right into the elegant stone building, where a warm air drifted through the main room. It was a beautiful structure, one that always caused Matthew to take a tick and admire the skill of whoever had crafted it long ago. The trio were quickly greeted by an assistant, Matthew paying for a private bath that would fit all three of them and then motioning for Aider and Kaie to follow. He would lead them up to the second floor, taking a small detour to a set of lockers, retrieving a small sack from his own personal locker before guiding his companions to their assigned bath.

The Harlot immediately sat the sack down and began to undress, casual in disrobing, seemingly finding it completely natural to bare himself to both Aider and Kaie. Sitting on a small bench, Matthew began to rustle through it, pulling out several small containers. Without looking up, he suddenly addressed Aider, voice still using that slow and polite tone. "Our mutual Myrian companion has a habit of being very determined, which I do not at all doubt you have experienced. Determination is a concept is extremely similar to stubbornness. Do not allow her pride to bully you. You were right, she is certainly not fine. A blade wound between two of the lower ribs, it appears?"

The Harlot didn't realize that specifically describing the wound when he hadn't actually seen it yet might raise some questions. Whatever the case, any attempts at an interruption from the Myrian would surprisingly just be interrupted in return, by Matthew nonetheless. If she tried to speak, she would find that his calm, firm voice almost automatically rang out.

"Be quiet, Kaie."

He rarely ever interrupted anyone and had no idea if it would work or not. Motioning to Aider to join him, he turned and started rummaging through his sack again. "If she was the one who has been taking care of this wound up until now, and under the assumption she has not made a vast improvement in medical skill since I last saw her, it would stand to reason that she has been doing a poor job. Kaie, please show me the injury. Aider, I can show you how to dress and clean the wound, if you are willing to take it upon yourself to do it daily."
Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kaie on April 10th, 2015, 2:01 am

"Zastoska's Bath House," she murmured, tasting the word carefully on her tongue to better commit it to memory. The sheer appearance of the structure, once Matthew led them to it, would be hard to forget. It was certainly an old building. Ignorant as she was to construction in the barbarian world, the patching done about the bath house's exterior was plain to see. Testaments to its age lingered about from the worn corners to what looked like worn away carvings. It was only upon entry that the Myrian's eyes widened in awe. Natural light cascaded here and there from above. Curtains of vibrant color lingered along the walls, steam rising and circulating in a way that was soothing. So long had it been that the woman entered a place with architecture worthy of admiration that she actually felt dirty in its presence.

Matthew was clearly not new to the establishment at all. In a few chimes he had arrangements made for the three of them. She let Aider go ahead of her, lingering behind just long enough to find her bearings and pass the pause off for appreciative glances around the place. Before long they had reached the second floor to visit the locker room. Kaie furrowed her brow. What's the point of stopping here? She looked around curiously, fiddling with the doors and their locking mechanisms while she waited on the Harlot. Aider seemed still a bit stiff. You were unintentionally harsh on him. She stubbornly pursed her lips and tugged the cloak hood down to let her curls fall free. Bronze fingers untied the string at her neck. The fabric dropped from her shoulders, and she folded it carefully over her left arm. She continued to follow the group into the bath area itself.

"So why are we...?" Her voice trailed off when she spotted the objects Matthew was retrieving from the sack he apparently kept in a locker. The warrior woman was not trained in medicine. That didn't mean she couldn't identify the containers for what they were. Arms folded across her torso. "I'm standing on my own two feet aren't I? I even left the spear behind. Look! The only thing I need is time. I won't stand here while you patronize me, Matthew...but how the petch did you know?"

The Myrian was shocked to find her lips pressing firmly together to silence herself at the sound of his stern voice. Eyes turned fiery, and though she stayed quiet, her expression was rather loud indeed. They turned to Aider, challenging him the tick she spotted the Harlot gesture him closer. She threw the folded cloak down upon bench beside Matthew. The singular button holding her vest closed was worked free. If they want to see so gods damn badly... The leather attire dropped beside the cloak. Below her exposed breasts, lower on the right side of her rib cage, was a band of tightly wrapped bandages spanning her tanned frame. A hand gestured dramatically to the wounded area, like a woman at Tall Johnny's might've displayed some grand prize for the winning gamblers.

"I don't want to be coddled." Funny how easy it was to turn another's own words against them. At least this time still proved satisfying.
Last edited by Kaie on April 10th, 2015, 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aider Silander on April 10th, 2015, 2:46 am

Even the streets of the new city carried a different tune then Sunberth. People discussing and chatting as if there was no danger that could befall them in an instant. Though maybe there wasn't here. This new safe haven of a city was years apart from Sunberth in many ways. The buildings and the streets were not worn down and ragged like those in Sunberth. Each one seemed to have its purpose and non seemed to be abandoned. His eyes returned to the duo ahead of him, locking them on the back of the harlot as they walked. Aider did not consider him a threat, at least not one that would take his life. He was uneasy about the way that Matthew had spoken back at the inn and even now seeing Kaie walk beside him made his stressed out mind wander in directions that no man wished for. A feeling burned at the bottom of his gut.

Aiders eyes ran along the walls of the building that Matthew pointed out as the bath house. Its name sank into Aider's mind as he examined the outside of it before following them inside. Stepping past Kaie when she had stopped without saying a word. He followed Matthew into the locker room. Stopping when he went about messing with one of the containers. He placed a hand over his mouth and sighed into it. His mouth dry from the time he had spent out on the sea and the stress that he had gained from the city that he ran from. His breath hot on his hand as he balled his hand into a fist. His fingers tugging at the skin around his mouth before pulling away from it.

He watched Kaie remove her cloak before pulling his eyes away from her to stares off into the distance, not looking at ether of them. He followed behind Matthew into the actual bathing area and looked at the bath. His eyes trailing back up to Matthew as he began to speak. He had addressed Kaie's stubborn determination and then informed Aider about not letting her bully him with her pride. A sarcastic grunt of a laugh escaped Aider's lips before he crossed his arms over his chest. Aider wondered if it was her pride that bullied him or the lack of his own that allowed her to do so. His eyes locked with Matthews as he mentioned her wound. He was also curious with how the man knew about the details but before he could ask Kaie was already ahead of him.

"Just because you are standing on your own two feet doesn't mean you are fine. A deer struck by an arrow will still run if the arrow did not kill them instantly. They will run until their blood runs out and they die, or worse infection takes over and rots away at their skin" he said sharply. His eyes looking towards Kaie, not with the same warmth they normally had. They were mixed with annoyance and stress. As Matthew continued to talk the feeling in Aider's gut came back with an even worse bite. She had listened to him and stopped talking. Aider had no want to control Kaie, he had no need for her to listen to his every word or command. The only thing he asked for was her respect. To accept him as someone who actually cared for her and wasn't in this for any gain that he could have. He didn't stay in Sunberth for himself, even if he told her he did it to make himself stronger. To prove something to himself it was all bullshyke. He did it because he didn't want to leave her side again.

He listened to Matthew as he stood there still clothed.
"Of course I am willing to." he said. His eyes moved back to the water as she undressed not even bothering to look at her. More annoyance burned at his throat as she spoke about being coddled. He rolled his neck, listing to the audible cracking sounds that it made before turning his gaze back towards her. He walked over to her and stared her in the eye. He was only slightly taller then she was, his hazel eyes digging into her own. "It always has to be coddling. You can't accept someone who genuinely wants to help you. You can't accept the fact that someone who is not Myrian actually gives a petching shyke about you. You are constantly trying to prove to yourself that you don't need anyone's help for gods know what reason. I already know you are strong. I've experienced both your physical and mental might. I have seen them both first hand. You are not like any of those savages and thugs in Sunberth. You are stronger then anyone I have ever met and yet here you are still trying to be tough. For once let someone help you. If not me then him. His words were hard as he gestured towards Matthew. Firmer then he had ever spoken to her before he turned away from her and stripped himself bare. The scars on his hips shown to the both of them as he walked to the side of Matthew. Not bothering to look up at him.

Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on April 10th, 2015, 4:15 am

Matthew peered at the Myrian for a moment, once again clashing an ice blue stare against one of heated amber. His eyes slowly searched her own, something the Myrian was no doubt familiar with by now. He was trying to understand and react accordingly. When she reached for words he had once spoken and swung them at him like the edge of a blade, something slightly odd happened, all within the blink of an eye.

For a moment it almost looked as if his eyes flared with the same fire as hers, his lush lips curling into a snarl. For a tick it seemed as if the Harlot actually possessed a temper that had just flared.

But then it was gone, the slate wiped clean, his handsome features reassuming their standard stoic expression. His eyes dropped from hers to study the tightly wound bandages, slender fingers fiddling with the different vials and containers as he waited for Aider to speak his piece. When the man headed towards Kaie, the Harlot did not move, eyes studying the objects he had withdrawn from the sack. The conversation was now between Aider and Kaie, Matthew suddenly more concerned with the brief flare of heat that had throbbed behind his temple. Something very similiar had happened mere weeks ago. But he could understand why he would have been overwhelmed then. But why now? Was it the same thing? His thoughts were interrupted as he sensed himself being dragged back into the conversation, blue eyes returning to the pair and giving them a few slow blinks. He gave Kaie a chance to respond to her lover, keeping quiet for several ticks before allowing his mind to move forward. First he studied Aider, then he studied Kaie, each of them receiving that passive gaze as he slowly absorbed everything that was going on.

"Are you... angry?" When he finally spoke, it was with that curious tone of his, perhaps proving to be infuriating or calming. His eyes were focused on Kaie now, trying to put words to what he was seeing in her stare. Lifting a hand to briefly wipe a shimmering bead of sweat from his bare chest, his eyes then turned to Aider. "And you... frustrated? Hurt?" He stared for a few moments longer, then shook his head and gave a slow shrug of his muscled shoulders. "Whatever the case, the fact still remains that Kaie is wounded. Perhaps more than just a physical wound, though I am not so sure I could explain exactly why." His stare had slowly returned to Kaie, once more turning into that intensely prying gaze of his. "However I might have known about your wound, the fact that you reacted so strongly to my medical equipment actually tells a lot. Because it isn't actually medical equipment." Reaching down, he took one of the containers and slowly spun it around so that the label could be clearly seen, though perhaps only Aider would be able to read it. Just in case, Matthew spoke it aloud.

"Skin cream."

His hand moved to touch to the rest of them in turn, naming them as he went along. "Hair pomade. Shampoo. Toothpaste. All cosmetic items that I store here for when I take a bath every other day." Her reaction had been a swift one, as opposed to the calculated actions he was used to seeing from her. That had perhaps been the most telling of all.

Moving on and leaning forward, Matthew scooted a bit to the side to allow Aider room. "One of the first things to look for is how a wound affects movement. While I am very familiar with her body, I am sure anyone could have noticed how she sometimes favors her side." Matthew was completely unaware of Aider's feelings to him. While his comment was said in utter innocence, the Harlot was incapable of realizing just how much impact his words could possibly have. "I will actually need to pay the wound some special care every so often to make sure it doesn't grow infected, as it looks like infection has only recently left. The most basic thing you need to remember when it comes to open wounds is that they must be kept clean. The bandages must be removed every so often, the wound cleaned, and then fresh bandages applied."

He glanced up at Kaie again, voice remaining neutral. "For not being trained in medicine, you did bandage this well. Good job." The compliment was not spoken in order to calm her down or placate her, Matthew having no such social tact. It was merely a genuine observation. "I still request that you allow Aider to help remove and reapply the bandages. If it is your strength that you worry about, I understand that you are currently not in a very weakened state. It is likely more of an annoying hindrance, currently. However, if it isn't taken care of in the right way, you will be permanently weakened from it." He held her eyes for a bit, trying to judge if she was listening or if his earlier interruption had made her decide to focus her apparent frustrations at him. "Do either of you have any questions?"
Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kaie on April 10th, 2015, 8:49 pm

It had become their own personal metaphor, this constant comparison of things to a deer. She'd likened him to the innocence of a deer so very long ago. Then again, maybe he was using it to spite her for that very reason. The edge in his voice suggested as much. Her gaze shot to her lover to meet it with just as much tension in her stare. The budding strain perhaps attributed to his growing detachment from the trio was plain, but the way in which he challenged her assessment of herself left her blind to it. Her lip curled. The warmth between the two intimate partners was smothered like the oxygen in the steamed room. Self-control was ebbing. Somehow she managed to keep her mouth shut, and though she wouldn't recognize it in that tick, that was probably because she found more truth in his words than she was willing to admit.

Aider had not tried to rival her stare. He hadn't tried to force her into submission. Instead it seemed as if he had submitted himself despite his words. Even when the woman had started to remove her clothes, his attention no longer rested upon her. He was consumed by something the savage didn't understand. Too irritated was she to address it in that moment either. She let the fire in her continue to burn, crackling and burning with the desire to lash out. There was split tick she swore she saw the same emotions visible in the minor gesture of the Harlot's lip, the tightness in his eyes. It proved to be an illusion. Within the blink of her eye, his features were smoothed over again while he studied the conflict playing out before him. The two were ganging up against her, breaking down her pride and independence with logic. The Myrian only wanted to fulfill her determinate sentence of pain in peace. She was tired of being treated like a casualty.

There was an exchange between the Harlot and the Nykian. Then there was a snap. Though her final statement had been directed at Matthew, Aider somehow grasped onto it and took it as a direct offense. Her focus found the man when she heard the pop of his neck. There was a foreboding, a tension in his jaw before he'd stormed her way. The bronze warrior turned swiftly to face him, back straight despite the tugging on the bandages, chin up as she locked her sights on his. Kaie's eyes widened in shock when the man first began his tirade. Never had he spoken to her so stone cold. A snarl appeared on her lips, teeth bared and jaw locked. The fire roared. Hands balled into tight fists at her sides. The muscles in her arms tensed.

"Oh, isn't this just rich!" Kaie growled between gnashed teeth. A derisive breath of a laugh huffed through her nostrils. "You finally decided to grow a pair only after Matthew called me out? Alright. Let's talk about this then. I've had plenty of help recently, no thanks to you, Nykian. Matthew got me off the streets and a job. The Scars, my family, pulled me out of the frozen bay. Pulren was the one who got me onto that ship before the mob could butcher us all, not you. They all had my back when the battle broke out. You were no where to be found. What help have I ever gotten from you?" Kaie stood toe-to-toe with the man, chest expanded with some restrained fury.

"Are you...angry?"

The savage woman turned to Matthew once Aider retreated to continue undressing himself. Who are you trying to fight? Him? Her eyes found the scar upon her lover's hip. Lungs exhaled, fingers uncurled from tight fists. The Harlot's revelation drew her attention. Not medical equipment? So defensive was she over her condition that she made wild assumptions. Unable to read didn't exactly help her case, and bottle by bottle, she felt utterly stupid. She hadn't owned her own collection of cosmetics before. Just simple things like soap. While the two exchanged words, the Myrian went about finishing the inevitable process required to bathe. The loincloth was slipped from her hips. Slender, toned legs stepped out of the clothing, and like the others before it, the loincloth was piled atop the others on the bench.

A tight-lipped
"fine," was all the Harlot could win from her when it came to the care of her injury. Mirroring Aider's resentment, Kaie too refused to look to the Nykian for any affirmation. She merely shook her head at Matthew. "May we continue to the baths now?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext