Possible jobs?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Possible jobs?

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on April 26th, 2015, 4:47 am

So, well, I have a problem. My character is Vantha, but there hasn't been posting in Avanthal for months! So, I thought in my head, and I thought, why, wouldn't it be nice for my character to be a nomad?
But then I was looking around, and I noticed most places to have jobs are not active. I don't care what town, as long as they don't mind Vantha. Can someone recommend a city to get a job in, and maybe a job too? My character's skills are 30 points storytelling, 10 points fletching and bowing, and 10 points horsemanship, not counting the racial bonus for storytelling. Unless I really enjoy the town, my character will likely move on.
Vani Common Nari Thoughts
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Words: 30583
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2015, 11:10 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Possible jobs?

Postby Colt on April 26th, 2015, 4:57 am

The majority of active towns don't mind Vantha. Syliras would probably be your best bet for an active player-base if you're not looking for anything specific. As for a job, you can be employed as anything you qualify for; storytelling might fall under the miscellaneous entertaining category, and there are also jobs for fletchers and horsewomen. It all depends on which skills you want to develop and which job you think fits best with your character.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Possible jobs?

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on April 26th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Okay, I signed up for a job in Syliras, and researched some lore. Lots of questions though. Syliras seems like a good city to start out in, other than a few things. First of all, as my character is a nomad, I chose the tent. I think the Syliran knights would have a problem with that, as I would need to pitch it somewhere. Also, from what I understand, the wild areas of Mizahir are very dangerous. Would it be possible for my character to travel on her own to Syliras, just her and her horse? Or would I have to get a caravan? Last of all, just randomly, how do I build up and get new skills?
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Possible jobs?

Postby Colt on April 26th, 2015, 6:08 pm

1) The Knights would probably not like having a tent pitched inside the city, although outside the city might be a bit more acceptable.

2) Yes, the wilderness is very, very dangerous. Someone traveling by themself from one city to another with no wilderness survival skill or combat skill is highly unlikely. Caravans are slower, but usually come with guards and survivalists that do have those skills.

3) You build your skills by using them. If you're in a thread and your character tells a story, they are using the storytelling skill. When you're finished with that thread, you turn it in for grading. A grader will go over what your character has done in that thread, and you will be awarded between 1 and 5 points in storytelling depending on how much you used the skill. If you lied to someone, you might also get skill in acting. If you carved something, you'll get skill in carving. Using a skill raises your proficiency with it.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Possible jobs?

Postby Tanna on April 27th, 2015, 12:33 am

Hey there! I have Tanna who is very similar to your own character. She is a bit of a 'nomad' and currently works with horses even though I plan on steering her towards the path of a bard/storyteller so I will help as best I can given what I have learned along the way.

To travel across any stretch land, especially from one city to another, it is strongly recommended that your character has the Wilderness Survival skill and that you specify what sort of biome/environment that applies to (Tanna came from the Sea of Grass so I gave her Wilderness Survival: Plains to justify her being able to get from Endrykas to Syliras).

As for housing, I started with the tent housing package but I have her staying in Traveler's Row while she is in Syliras proper because characters can earn a discount off their stay if they board there for the season. I'd recommend putting your character in some form of temporary housing while she is in the city to avoid the ire of the Order. Traveler's Row is probably your best bet while your character is in the city - that or you could have her stay in an inn like The Broken Casket on the docks or The White Swan Inn in the city.

As for work, she could either act as a 'bard' in a tavern or in the streets telling stories (skald might be a better word and it would help to build the busking skill - Performer/Bard/Busker - 4gm/day) or she could do something with her other skills such as trying her hand at crafting and selling as a Bower/Fletcher (3gm/day) or working with horses (Animal Handler - 5gm/day - you'd need to speak with the ST to see if it would be ok for the character to only handle horses since this requires Animal Husbandry). I have Tanna working at the stables as a handler and intend on eventually building adequate skills to get her into the performing career (even though it earns less).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Possible jobs?

Postby Ball on April 27th, 2015, 5:48 pm

I am just going to throw this out there, as the job is available regardless of current skills: Squire in the Order... Free Housing, you can't cash in your housing, if you start as a squire... but totally is valid as a job ;)
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Possible jobs?

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on May 2nd, 2015, 5:15 pm

Ok, so when does the next caravan leave?
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Possible jobs?

Postby Tanna on May 3rd, 2015, 11:01 am

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. Do you plan on RPing out her trip from Avanthal to Syliras? If so, that would likely take more than a season to do. As listed in the travel times wiki page, your character would have to travel from Avanthal to either Karjin (61 days + 10 day due to travelling via caravan = 71 day) or Novallas (73 days + 10 days due to travelling via caravan = 83 days). From there, she could sail from Karjin to Syliras if she was able to afford or arrange passage (11 days at best - not including possible wait time to make arrangements and preparations, bringing total travel to ~82 days) or she could travel by land from either city (Karjin: 50 + 10 = 60 days -- total trip = 131 days; Novallas: 33 + 10 = 43 days -- total trip = 126 days). It's worth noting that neither city is open for play since they are both in development and that travel during Winter will tack another 10 or so days onto the legs travelled during that season.

In conclusion, it's best just to mention in her history that she made this trip and, for future reference, I highly recommend reading through all of this as well.

Hope this helps.
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Possible jobs?

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on May 4th, 2015, 3:26 am

I'll just edit her history so her good for nothing brothers drag her off to Syliras, makes since I guess.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Possible jobs?

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on May 15th, 2015, 4:09 am

Also, the job system in Syliras is confusing me. Can someone help?
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next