PM to join Food For Thought

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Food For Thought

Postby Dravite on May 19th, 2015, 9:57 am

18 Spring, 515 AV
Mid-morning

“Why are we still here?” Dravite inquired; old, boyish undertones shining through in his words. He sounded impatient, eager to move on like wind that never settled anywhere for too long.

It seemed most of the pavilion was starting to get comfortable living on the outskirts of Endrykas for the season which was unusual for a group that had spent the majority of the last ten years out in The Sea of Grass. Windborne were a hardy pavilion that knew all about living rough, fighting wildfires, hunting to survive, and stalking predators to water. They were bronze and toughened by the elements with thick, leathery skin on the soles of their feet, and long, lean limbs. They weren’t designed for small, confined plots and lazy strolls through the city centre.

“We’ve done our trading for the season, what is keeping us here?” His grassland-sign was used to portray the odd word with no equivalent in their spoken language of Pavi.

“We’ve lost too many this winter gone,” one of the warriors spoke up, a woman in her late twenties that had two living children to the pavilion’s tanning expert, and had lost another one to the sea not two summers ago. “Resting our bones will do us good.”

Dravite could empathise with the woman as he too had a son to think of now and though he knew no loss like hers, he could only imagine how distraught he would be if he were to lose his flesh and blood the same way. The man nodded his agreement, rest would do them good, give their children time to grow strong; he just hoped he wouldn’t get too rusty while they sat idle.

“Rubbish,” someone interject and Dravite’s gaze fell on a young man who was barely fifteen years of age, but had earned his Wind-marks and thus had right to speak at council around the fire pit.
“We should be out there as we have always been. The strong survive.”

A low muttering erupted around the fire pit as people began to argue about the pros and cons of staying and Dravite sat, thinking about the adjustments he would need to make if they did decide to follow Endrykas for the year. “We’ll all need jobs,” Dravite admitted. “Not just our day to day jobs like hunting and foraging, but jobs that give back to economy.”

He already had something in mind.

Outside of the camp the sun was shining and the children were playing with young strangers from one of the neighbouring pavilions. Dravite watched them for a time, keeping a close eye on his son Kyanite, and glancing over at his wife Belkaia every now and then, who watched her child like a hawk. It was endearing to see just how much she loved him, though he would have felt somewhat smothered as a boy had he been in Kyanite’s shoes. “Let him play, he’ll be fine with the others,” Dravite encouraged, passing his wife on the foot-worn path towards Endrykas.
“And just where do you think you are going?” Belkaia smirked, lifting a slender, dark brow at her husband.
“To spend the rest of our money,” he teased, knowing how tight her hold was on the purse-strings.
She smacked his behind and grinned. “Bring us back something nice?”
“Always,” the man smiled before turning to move quickly on foot to the city of tents.

Dravite liked to run, loved the feeling of air moving through his knotted hair. He was relatively sure-footed, but tripped every now and then as he weaved his way down the track, catching the odd tuft of grass between his toes as he ran. He went through the mental list he had made himself as he slowed to a jog to half way down the path to catch his breath. “Shirts, jars, cooking pot. Shirts, jars, cooking pot.” .
Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Food For Thought

Postby Dravite on May 22nd, 2015, 12:02 am

The marketplace was busy, not just with people but those with animals in toe. There were horses paraded up and down the makeshift streets, hunting dogs tethered to stalls and exotic birds kept in cages; most of which looked quiet and sad, heads pointed down as if the idea of freedom had long passed and they had now accepted their cruel fate and life under lock and key.

Dravite always felt a little despair touch his heart whenever he watched the auctioneer selling off Kelvics to the highest bidder; were they more people or animal, he still couldn't tell. The Windborne pavilion had never been lucky enough to capture a Kelvic though they did keep slaves just like most of their people; the slaves that travelled round with them had always felt more like family than captives. Perhaps he was just soft of heart like his father had been, or so his mother told.

A woman called out to him a few stalls down, "You, you with the marks and the mess of hair, come, come here, my boy! I have something just for you."

Dravite smirked and slowly gravitated towards her set up, letting his eyes go over her wears quickly. She looked like one of those medicine witches that crafted all sorts of delicacies from things most people wouldn't dream of using. There were pots and jars on the table full of mysterious remedies and fine smelling concoctions. "I have no need for your magic, Witch," Dravite said honestly, with no disdain in his voice.

"Who said anything about magic, my boy, come closer."

The Drykas man leaned in across the table as the mysterious woman pulled something from the inside of her cloak. A strange smelling smoke rose skyward from a heated plate of bronze, assaulting the man's senses. He jumped back into the street as she presented a small, black and red striped snake to him and laughed. Dravite didn't find the gesture amusing and turned to walk away. "Does the boy’s eyes lie to him?" The woman queried from behind and when he looked back it was not a snake she held but a necklace made of pearls, "something pretty for your wife?"

"I don't have a wife," Dravite lied, not wanting to give up any of his personal details to the stranger, especially one that could trick his eyes so easily.

"Cassandra knows all," the woman laughed again, putting the necklace on over her head.

"Well, can Cassandra tell me where to find a pan and a few..." That was odd, he thought to himself all of the sudden, forgetting what he had come to the marketplace for even though he had been so sure of his desires a moment ago.

Dravite pinned the woman with a stare, narrowing his usually warm gaze at her. She spoke excellent Pavi but something told him she was not from these lands. He took another look at what she had to sell, picking up a jar of what looked like preserved berries. "How much?"
"The boy doesn't need," Cassandra smiled.
"Well, you tell me what I do need."

The middle aged woman scratched around in one of her leather bags and pulled forth a jar of what looked like liquid amber. Dravite took the jar and turned it in his hands. "What is it?" He asked.
"Nature’s magic," Cassandra whispered as if it were a secret.
"What is the name of his magic?"
"Honey," Cassandra smirked.
Dravite laughed. "Honey isn't magic," he seemed almost sorry to tell her.
"Boy is wrong."
"Boy is not wrong," Dravite hissed. "You are trying to disguise something found in the wilds as magic? Honey is honey, no more, no less."
"Stops bleeding, ageing, heals infection," Cassandra told him.

Dravite wasn't sold, but perhaps if he bought the honey she would let him on his way and he could go back to what he had come to the markets for in the first place. He dug around in his pockets for a gold miza and held it up. "How much for the honey?"
"Cassandra gives you special price if you buy two," she lied.
"Yes, okay, how much," Dravite asked again, somewhat desperate to get away.
"Two jars and a pint of honey, for the boy I sell to him for one silver and fourteen copper."

Dravite paid the woman and took the honey before turning to leave. This time he didn't look back even as she called out after him, "But wouldn't the boy like something nice for his wife?" To which Dravite held up the honey and yelled back his thanks.

Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Food For Thought

Postby Dravite on May 23rd, 2015, 11:53 pm

It shouldn't surprise him anymore, Dravite told himself as he continued up the street on foot, growing more and more accustomed to finding strange things in the marketplace. There were people playing instruments and dancing, spinning with bells on their feet and ribbons in their hair. Everything seemed to be for sale in Endrykas, from people to tents and all in between.

Finally the man had found what he had been looking for, a fabric stall with simple but hardy shirts. He had seen better days and the smells and stains seemed to suggest it was probably time for something new, something he could wear for important occasions and then something he could keep handy for work. "Hello," Dravite smiled warmly at the young boy sat behind the front of the stall folding garments.

The boy signed his greeting and asked how he could help. Dravite gave him the once over, he looked no older than eight, lean, but bright enough. "Are you helping your mother?"
"Yes, she is out back stitching custom designs."
"Oh you take orders for special work?"
The boy nodded, picked up another shirt and folded it neatly. "She can make anything you desire."
"She sounds very talented," Dravite admitted. "I'm only looking for a couple of shirts."
"What colour?" The boy asked.

Dravite glanced at his blue eyes and face framed with long, brown hair that wove down in loose, winding knots to his belly. He gathered it probably hadn't been cut since the boy was new-born. "I was thinking of going for white this time."

The boy laughed. "Not a very popular colour, it gets dirty very quickly and the muck is hard to wash out in the cold river water."
"What if I heated some water?"
The boy shrugged as if to say ‘if you have the time,’ and Dravite knew he had a point. "One black, one white, and I'm also looking for something to represent my clan."
The child looked up at Dravite and narrowed his gaze as if trying to guess which clan the man belonged to. "Tall but not too tall, strong arms and jaw. Diamond Clan, am I right?"

Dravite was a little taken aback by the boy's guess; yes he did hail from the Diamond clan on his father's side but had almost abandoned the idea after his passing when Dravite’s pavilion name had gone from Blackwater to Windborne. Torn for a moment, a small knot formed in the skin at his brow and he answered slowly, as if he couldn't believe he had convinced himself of the words that fell from his lips. "Emerald Clan..."
"I was close."

Dravite cast his gaze aside, his thoughts going back to the man he had barely gotten the time to know before the world stole him away. "Perhaps something made of leather. I plan to wear it for work when I sign up to join The Watch."

The young boy got down from his wooden chair and disappeared around the back. When he returned he was holding two shirts in the shades Dravite had requested and a leather tabard in black and green. "Can you try these on? My mother made this two moons ago for a man that never came back to collect it. You can have it at cost without labour; she just wants to get rid of it."

Dravite slipped into the first of the two shirts and lifted his arms to test the length of the material. It held his wrists and didn't come up past his hips with his arms raised. "Feels like a good fit, are these the same size?"
"Yes, but the leather tabard may need some wear before it fits comfortably."

The Drykas man smiled and slipped it on over the new shirt to try it on for size. The leather hugged his upper body but his arms still had room to move fluidly. “I like it and I think you’re right, it will be perfect once it’s seen some wear.”
“Try not to get it wet, leather smells when it’s wet.”
Dravite laughed. “Well I smell no matter the season so I’m sure that won’t be a problem.”
The boy smiled and calculated what he would need in payment. “The shirts are one piece of silver each and I need fifteen for the tabard.”
“All right, that and one will do the trick,” Dravite said before counting out the right coin.

He handed the right amount of miza to the boy and slipped out of his new gear to fold it neatly and carry it under arm. “I best be on my way, promised my wife I would return home with a nice pan to use for cooking.”
“Thank you,” the boy waved and raced out back excitedly to show his mother than he had made a sale.

Last edited by Dravite on June 8th, 2015, 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Food For Thought

Postby Dravite on May 24th, 2015, 11:48 pm

“She’s going to kill me,” Dravite told himself as he wandered down the street slowly; tempted to return to camp without purchasing the things his wife, Belkaia, had asked for. “And then she’ll really kill me,” he laughed, knowing how unimpressed she would be if he returned without the cooking gear.

He had been going back and forth for thirty chimes now, surely a kitchen stall wasn’t too hard to come across; the man had seen everything but, or so it seemed. “Clothes, meat, animals, more meat,” he muttered, “Oh and look, even more meat.” Dravite was glad then that he was choosing to become a man of The Watch rather than join the hunting crew who would struggle to sell their catch in a flooded market.

Dravite moved to the side of the dirt road and stopped to listen to the world for a while. He drowned out the booming call of the auctioneer’s voice, the foot traffic and the music being played for the dancers, so that he could try and concentrate for a moment. It was hard to slip into a trance when the world around him was so busy with life. Every time he thought he caught a glimpse of the web it would quickly escaped him, and Dravite would have to try again. Before long be traded his standing position to take up a seat in the grass which had been cooking in the morning sun.

From here falling into a trance was simple; he was closer to the earth and felt more at ease. The blushing blue tendrils of the web floated near and Dravite gently reached out with his mind’s-eye to follow one. Slowly he traced the weave of webbing, floating through the heavy foot traffic like a ghost. The markets stretched on for at least a hundred metres, hundreds of pavilion members setting up shop for the busy day ahead. When he finally found what he was seeking, he quickly returned to his body and opened his eyes, “East.”

The things he needed were not as pricey as he had originally imagined and Dravite picked out a sixteen inch pan for searing any meat he caught. “Anything else you need?” The woman behind the stall asked and Dravite let his eye rove over everything once more.

He had been considering a second weapon, but nothing set on display caught his eyes. “No I think that will be the lot, thank you very much.”

Dravite dug around in his pocket for the right coin and counted it twice before he handed the woman five silver and four copper mizas. He put his new clothes in the pan to make everything easier to carry and then made his way down the foot-worn dirt track again to return to the edge of Endrykas and wander out into the grasslands where his pavilion was camped. It would be nice to get away from the noise of the city and relax for a bell before going out with the hunting party once the weather cooled down in the afternoon.

Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Food For Thought

Postby Ssezzkero on June 28th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Grades
Dravite

XP:
    Socialization +3
    Running +1
    Observation +3
    Rhetoric +1
    Negotiation +1
    Meditation +1
    Webbing +1

Lores:
    Windborne Pavilion: Don't often stay close to the city
    Honey: Not magic
    Use hot water to wash clothes better
    Leather smells when it is wet
    Using the web for shopping

Receipt:
    -1 sm, 4 cm for two pints of honey and jars
    -1 gm, 5 sm for leather tabard
    -2 sm for two shirts
    -4 cm for tin 16" pan
Total Cost: -1 gm, 8 sm, 8 cm

Notes: Don't forget to edit your post in the request forum as 'Graded'. PM me if you have any questions or concerns. :)
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)