Closed Melting Point

It's actually different for every chocolatier. (Verena pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on July 7th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Summer 40, 515 AV
Draer’s Chocolates

“Aside from ordinary bars we also offer chocolate with nuts and bits of fruit in them. For example, we have bars with apple and orange bits, although we change them around a little with the seasons.”

Lingering in the back, Estrellir had to stifle a yawn. As regular customer of the Draer-owned chocolate shop, she knew very well what they had on their shelves and how offers changed over time. Taking a deep breath, she straightened and pushed back a stray lock of white hair. Of course, she’d been among the first people to hear of the event – and also one of the first to arrive on the morning of the 40th. In fact she’d been half a bell early and used that to admire the latest summer creations, purchasing two small bars and nibbling on them to pass the time.

Of course, she understood that Kasha wanted to promote the shop and advertise their wares – it was the purpose of the event, after all. Yet she hoped desperately for the end of the speech and for the actual lesson to start. Unlike others, she had actually come to learn how to make chocolate. For once, a well-guarded secret, the recipe for Draer chocolate, could wait. Estrellir didn’t believe that the shop owners would teach them everything.

Far from it. For once, no hidden motives. Estrellir simply dreamed of making delicious chocolate herself.

“As I said before, both dark and milk chocolate can be purchased with all these flavors. However, we’re constantly striving to expand on our repertoire. My brother and I have been working on a third type of chocolate for some time. I think it’s safe to say it’ll hit the shelves very soon!”

Estrellir couldn’t help but roll her eyes at that. It had started as a rumor, probably even planted by Kasha Draer herself, but it had been floating around for at least a year to no avail. The mysterious third type of chocolate had been in the making for a long time.

Remembering past gossip proved to be less dull, but still nowhere near entertaining. For once the Konti was glad for her height as she whispered under her breath. “Now hurry up and get us to the workshop. I’m ready to roll up my sleeves.”

Sleeves that didn’t exist. Anticipating a hot day, she’d opted for a white summer dress and sandals. The dress had pockets sewn on its front, one of which filled with a pretty green and blue hand fan. As the front door was open, a fresh breeze stirred the air in the shop and rendered the fan useless. However, making chocolate in the back would definitely require physical work… sweat and hot air.

In the end, Kasha seemed to have heard her thoughts. “Now, I will not bore you further with speeches. Let’s get down to work, shall we? This is an exclusive opportunity for you to use our tools and the cocoa we grow on our property… to make your own chocolate! Please, if you would follow me into the workshop…”

With that, the door that had been firmly closed every time Estrellir had visited opened. As the Dynasts, among them a handful of Freeborn, followed Kasha into the back of the shop, light conversation broke out here and there.
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on July 8th, 2015, 1:52 pm

“It will be good for you to have more fun and mingle with the rest of Kenash. As always, you need to get out of your clinic once in a while.” Those words from her brother had sent her somewhat early into the city, but not for her usual business. Verena, like most people, had heard of this little even that was being held at Draer’s Chocolates – apparently they were offering some sort of cooking lesson.

Verena had little interest regarding the whole thing, but apparently Zorane thought otherwise. Despite all the time that had passed, she guessed he was still worried about her after what happened a few seasons ago. Ever since they were little, his idea of taking her mind off things was to force her into as many events as possible. Not so that the festivity would distract her, but because of her annoyance of a social gathering was the only thing that could distract her from being upset about something else.

The only reason she agreed to this was because it seemed like it would ease her brother’s mind the slightest bit. He had always been closer to their mother, and her banishment still weighed heavily on his mind. So, there she was standing inside the chocolate shop, only barely paying attention to the owner. Instead, Verena let her eyes wander inside the shop. Cas, her betrothed, was a regular here. If her work turned out to be horrible, she supposed she should get him a proper one.

“Now, I will not bore you further with speeches. Let’s get down to work, shall we? This is an exclusive opportunity for you to use our tools and the cocoa we grow on our property… to make your own chocolate! Please, if you would follow me into the workshop…”

Verena breathed a silent sigh of relief. It was getting hotter by the tick in the crowded room and she certainly hoped the workshop was larger. Even the green sundress she was wearing was not easing the heat as she had expected. Her hair was starting to get in her way so her hands started to weave the dark strands into a braid. Earlier, she had thought that holding a fan everywhere would be to much of a trouble, but she now wondered that if she made a mistake.

As the Lorak walked deeper into the building, she found herself side by side a petite Konti.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Words: 234038
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on July 10th, 2015, 8:56 am

As small crowd formed near the door into the workshop as everyone tried to enter at the same time. Unlike most others, Estrellir stayed back and waited until the worst had subsided. The event had limited attendance, so there’d be space for everyone. While waiting, she’d noticed a dark-haired girl who didn’t seem in a rush either. Instead, she was braiding her dark hair, thin strands clinging to her neck.

That reminded the Konti. Taking out her fan, a pretty thing adorned with blue and sea green lace across the top, she began to fan her face and neck. Lifting her locks with the other hand, she managed to cool down considerably.

Finally they had entered the workshop and found a place at the long table dominating the room. Various ingredients had been laid out and Sorus Draer was grinding cocoa beans into powder at the back. Stepping up to the table, Kasha began explaining the things on the table and praising the properties of the cocoa bean the Draer were growing on their grounds.

Estrellir found herself next to the girl she’d observed earlier. With a genuine smile, she offered the fan to her and spoke in a low voice. “Do you wish to borrow it? Don’t worry, everyone’s hot today.”

Whether the girl took it or not, the interaction gave Estrellir an opportunity to observe her more closely. A half-sister of Lorana Lorak, according to her Konti gift. A somewhat cute face, albeit lacking exceptional beauty, and a certain lack of expression. Either she didn’t really want to be at the event or she simply had a talent for hiding emotions. Possibly both. Daylight falling through a nearby window added a reddish hue to her dark hair and her eyes were an even darker violet than Estrellir’s.

Furrowing her brow, she realized the girl must have Vantha blood in her. If anything, the Lorak were known for their medicinal knowledge and skill. Many of Estrellir’s sisters were blessed by Rak’keli, so she was no stranger to the trade. During recent happenings, however, she’d come to see her lack of knowledge in that field as a hole in need of mending. First aid, tourniquets, those would come in handy sooner or later.

Finishing her explanation, Kasha left them with a few instructions and turned around to check the fire under the massive stove. Remembering her words, Estrellir grabbed a pan and a glass cup for measuring, filled the pan with a few inches of water from a bowl and added a cup of coconut oil from another.

Turning towards the Lorak, she held out her hand. “I’m Estrellir Konrath, pleased to meet you, and under such interesting circumstances too. Forgive me if I’m intruding, but are you making chocolate for yourself or… for someone else?”
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on July 10th, 2015, 1:38 pm

“Do you wish to borrow it? Don’t worry, everyone’s hot today.”

The Lorak nodded at the Kontis offer, taking the delicate fan in her own hand. The slight breeze it provided her gave her a slight relief. At this rate, who knew how much she would be suffering as they cooked. She wasn’t one to visit the kitchen often, but she was sure it wouldn’t offer respite from the heat. A bit too late, Verena said to the young woman, “Thank you.”

For the first time, Verena paid a closer attention to the young woman standing beside her. The lack of Freeborn mark and her race alone made her easily identified as a Konrath. As most Kontis were, she was especially pale and her summer dress revealed the glistening scales that decorated her skin. Also, Verena could not help noticing her eyes that possessed a similar shade as hers. The Konti looked familiar enough – she must have seen her at a formal function or two.

It was only when the Draer started explaining the steps that Verena finally gave the woman her full attention. She remembered Cas teasing her about cooking, teasing her with his skepticism. She had never liked being underestimated, but the Paille might just be right about this one. This was honestly her first time cooking. But she was willing to try. It couldn’t be much too different from making poultices.

Verena understood most of the instructions, but just to be sure, she eyed what the Konti was doing before taking the same things. Fill up the pan. Add some oil. So far,

“I’m Verena Lorak and I’m making it for someone else,” the Lorak replied swiftly as she handed the Konrath her fan. She cleared her throat a bit awkwardly. “Pleasure to meet you too.”

A flash of violet on the Konti’s hand caught her eyes. Verena saw that it was an intricate drawing of a single lily in a violet shade not unlike Estrellir’s eyes. The Lorak doubted she had seen anything quite like it.

“What is that?” The Lorak pointed at the back of her own hand. “If I may ask.” That second part she added as an afterthought. She was quite sure that she didn’t say anything offensive, but her brother told her it was safer to add the sentence to most of her questions. Verena could remember his words in her head: Just to be safe. Since nearly everything that comes out of your mouth can be considered as rude by most people.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on July 12th, 2015, 8:54 am

Estrellir gave a brief nod. Another observation, acknowledged and filed away: The Lorak didn’t pay much attention to seasonal fashion and trends. She could also be a scatterbrain, having forgotten her own fan, but her entire style and attire suggested otherwise.

Verena Lorak. At first she seemed to ignore the extended hand, then she placed the fan in it. Estrellir stared at it for a moment, dumbfounded, before she composed herself and stuffed it back into her pocket. If she remembered right, Verena Lorak was often referred to as the go-to doctor around Kenash, an occupation befitting of her Dynasty. Chocolate could hardly be healthy or even medicinal. Like Estrellir, Verena was probably attending the event for pleasure, making chocolate for someone dear to her. Yet she seemed decidedly different from the typical Dynasty brat. No fawning over handsome Morealis men, no tales of hot muscled slaves. On the contrary, she appeared to stumble over the easiest words and polite phrases. Her occupation didn’t require much skill in rhetoric, Estrellir guessed, but it was still quite odd for a Dynast.

Kasha continued to talk them through the process and the Konti turned away briefly to follow her instructions. Grab a large bowl, then fill it with half a cup of honey, one cup of cocoa powder, a dash of salt and slightly more vanilla. Taking a large spoon, Estrellir began mixing it all together. The coconut oil and water mixture had been placed on the stove before, heating up slowly.

Still stirring, Estrellir returned to the earlier question. “It’s a gnosis mark, granted by Avalis. It helps me see happenings of the past.” Sometimes, she almost added. Instead she chose not to comment on the accuracy of Divination. Some of her sisters had earned two or three marks and possessed greater focus, but there was no sense in revealing that to others. “Most of us are marked by Avalis, although some are chosen by Rak’keli instead. I imagine there are quite a few healing talents among your relatives as well, isn’t it so?” Her gaze went down to the intricate tattoo on between the Lorak’s collarbones. Gnosis, most likely.

Glancing at the pan, she hastily removed it from the stove. The liquid mixture wasn’t boiling, but felt warm on the palm she held over its surface. Following the chocolatier’s words, she slowly poured it into her bowl, stirring and mixing it together with the other ingredients. That took some time, enough to continue her conversation. “If I remember right, you’re working as a doctor. You must be very good at what you do, making a name for yourself around here. In fact, I have increasingly been finding myself in situations wishing to possess even a bit of medicinal knowledge. First aid, tourniquets, you know.”

Laughing a little, Estrellir observed Verena out of violet eyes. Her arms were still stirring the chocolate dough, but she gave all of her attention to the other girl. Her words had inspired an idea, one that seemed to benefit both of them in multiple ways. It only depended on the Lorak’s reaction.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on July 13th, 2015, 6:58 am

As she placed her pan on the stove, Verena recalled the instructions once again. She brought all the ingredients to her own table, placing it around her bowl. Cocoa powder. Honey. Vanilla. Salt. Careful to keep in accordance to the measurements, the first-time cook threw all of it into her own bowl. With a wooden bowl, she stirred the brownish mixture.

If she was not mistaken, Cas liked his chocolate more on the bitter side. She remembered her recoiling at a bite of the first chocolate he had given her. Still, the Lorak wasn’t skilled enough to make improvisations and she would rather have made something edible.

“That is impressive. To be able to look into the past.” A gnosis to look into history by Avalis. She wondered how much knowledge she could glean by having the skill to do something like it. “How far back can you see?”

At the mention of her family’s talents, Verena tried to recall how many of her relatives were blessed with a gnosis. “A few.” Not as many as her family would like One marks were common enough, she supposed, though not all decided to pursue to the path of healing exclusively like her. Someone with two marks, however, was a different story. Verena herself wasn’t entirely sure what she could do to gain a second mark. She suppose all she could do for now was just continue healing like what the goddess wanted.

With her thoughts whirling, the Lorak was only reminded to take her pan of the stove when the Konti did it first. It was a good thing she had met the young woman. Though, she supposed Estrellir would be older than she looked. After all, Kontis age differently than humans.

“I think it is more due to the fact I am one of the few doctors that is almost always available in Kenash.” Verena was good at what she was doing, but she also knew some of her older relatives were more skilled and experienced in the arts of medicine. They were more than happy to throw the responsibility of manning the Lorak’s city clinic to her and spend more time back at Whitesnake Plantation. “So why don’t you study it?”
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on July 19th, 2015, 9:30 am

Estrellir hesitated for a moment, thinking. Given her occupation, it had never been necessary to look farther than a lifetime, one or two centuries into the past. When she went back farther than a hundred years, everything got fuzzy and distorted, but she wasn’t sure if the reason lay in her lack of skill or was simply part of the mechanics. So when she answered, her words came slowly. “I’ve never really looked back farther than a hundred years, so I don’t know. It simply wasn’t necessary, although you pose an interesting question.” She paused for a moment. “I have to focus on a person every time. I only see their past as they experienced it, so it’s probably easier to access memories of a living person.”

She was a little disappointed at the short reply. Waiting for Verena to elaborate didn’t seem to lead anywhere, so she mirrored her opponent’s straightforward way of speaking. “I take it you’re marked too, no? Given your reputation as a doctor.”

While the girl was talking about her occupation, Estrellir briefly focused on the dough in her bowl. As she’d been stirring throughout their conversation, the ingredients had blended nicely. At the same time, sweat had begun to form on her forehead and neck and her arms felt sore. Kasha who had been making rounds after placing loaf pans on the table peeked over her shoulder. With a nod, she showed the pair how to cover the pan with parchment and then pour their chocolate dough into that so it spread evenly.

That took all her concentration. Next they had to cover their pan with another sheet of parchment, thicker than the first, and wrap it around the edges. While her webbed hands worked, Estrellir turned back to Verena. “You work at the clinic then? That is pretty important. For whatever reasons, people go out into the swamp and hurt themselves all the time. Slaves tend to have accidents too.” She hesitated briefly, pushing away the stale taste of the word accident.

Then she shrugged. “I should, but I’ve been putting it off. Things get in the way… If it’s not work, it’s social obligations. By the way, where is your clinic located?” Hearing the answer, she gave a thoughtful hum. “Not too far. Would you mind if I visited you for lessons sometime? Provided you’re not terribly busy that day, of course.”
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on July 28th, 2015, 3:51 am

The Lorak listened to Estrellir’s explanation closely, utterly fascinated. Even seeing a recent past was an interesting notion. Verena wondered just how much the gnosis let her see. From the Konrath’s words, it was perhaps possible that the Konti could look at her right now and start sifting through her memories. The thought was rather troubling for – like everyone – Verena had some secrets to hide. Unfortunately, before she could ask another question, the pale woman had already steered the conversation into another direction.

“I am marked,” Verena replied with more ease in her voice as she finished her stirring. Talking about her work was always easier and the Lorak was grateful for the topic. “It helps me a great deal and makes minor problems a lot easier to manage.”

Placing the parchment on the pan was an easy task, but overtaken slightly by her need for perfection, Verena took her time straightening the corners and making sure there were no creases. When done, she poured in the chocolate mixture into it. It was not as even as she would liked, but she supposed it was good enough for a first try.

At the word accidents, Verena rolled her shoulders in mild discomfort. As dynasts, they both knew better about how most slaves got injured. She knew better than to point that out bluntly. Over the years she had learned that bringing up the topic of slavery would likely land her some gentle reprimands. Why dynasts were more comfortable ordering a slave to be whipped bloody than discuss it with others was something she could not truly understand.

“It is on the Dry Island,” Verena answered simply to the Konti's question about the location of her clinic.

“Not too far. Would you mind if I visited you for lessons sometime? Provided you’re not terribly busy that day, of course.”

Truth be told, Verena was far less busy than she would like. These days all she had to deal with fevers, heat strokes, stomach ache, and the likes – nothing too interesting. Most dynasts were less likely to sustain fatal injuries, while with the Radjud-Dalat, less slaves were being delivered to her. “Of course, I will be happy to.” Perhaps Estrellir’s visit would prove more interesting than dealing with a dynasty woman asking for a salve to make her skin look younger.

“What is your line of work?” Verena asked suddenly, reminded that the dynast had mentioned work just moments ago.
Last edited by Verena Lorak on August 1st, 2015, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on July 30th, 2015, 8:45 pm

So the tattoo was a gnosis mark. Far from surprised, Estrellir merely nodded and filed away the information in her the back of her mind. You never knew when the little tidbits you collected from random people came in handy, so she tended to fuel her healthy curiosity with incessant questions about anything and everything. “That sounds convenient. Healing minor injuries takes less time and probably isn’t as exhausting as treating them through conventional means, right?”

As they worked with the parchment, the conversation was interrupted by rustling and folding for a while. With her violet eyes narrowed, Estrellir made sure the parchment covered the pan completely and stayed in place. Then she pushed it back towards the middle of the table for Kasha to collect it. Pushing away a few white locks, she turned back to Verena and crossed her arms with an enigmatic smile. “I run Konrath’s Detective Bureau on Fire Island. A lot of people seem to lose things, pets or slaves. Some would like crimes to be solved. Others are simply greedy for information with too much money to spare.”

There was pride in her voice, mostly subdued, that revealed to the observant listener how much the bureau and occupation meant to her. Estrellir Konrath had devised, planned and carried out the business concept all by herself, renovated the small cottage and started building a reputation from scratch. Of course, the famous sight and knowledge of the Konti had led quite a few customers through her door, but she also prided herself in working like crazy to get the job done. Kenash needed someone like her and she knew it.

Casting a glance around, she realized others were still wrapping the products of the lesson with parchment. Meanwhile Kasha and her brother were already collecting pans and putting them into a curious chest that seemed to serve as freezer. Despite being curious about the mechanism that kept it cold permanently, Estrellir decided to stay with Verena. Her smile turned into a grin. “So if you’re ever missing a slave or come across a riddle you absolutely need solved, I can probably help you.”

When everyone had finished wrapping their chocolate, Kasha announced that it’d take about twenty chimes to harden in the freezing chest. In the meantime, they were free to explore the store or take a stroll outside. When the time was up, they were to return and pick up their handmade chocolate. Lingering by the young Lorak, Estrellir would simply tag along to whatever and wherever Verena decided to pass the time with.

Filing out of the workshop after a pair of chatty women, she had remembered her earlier question and Verena’s answer. Despite her curiosity, she wasn’t sure if asking about the person the chocolate was meant for would be overstepping boundaries. Absentmindedly gnawing at her lower lip, Estrellir contended herself with observing the other girl for the time being.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on August 1st, 2015, 3:41 am

“You are an investigator,” Verena mussed as she listened to the Konrath’s explanation. It must be convenient for someone like her to possess the ability to see back into the past. Just like Rak’keli’s mark for her.

Her pan was then taken along with Estrellir’s and the Lorak watched them place it in a cooling box of some sort. She considered asking where it was possible to find such a thing. A place to keep her medicines cool would be most useful. Perhaps she would ask when this whole lesson was over.

At the mention of missing slaves, Verena was reminded of Bella. It had been two seasons since she disappeared without a trace. Even after alerting her family, no one could find the young slave. Some suspected the involvement of Rujaros, but she did not even know for sure. All she knew was that the girl left on an errand and simply never returned. The Lorak mostly tried not thinking about Bella, because every time, a sickening worry clawed up her throat. She did not even know if the slave was alive or not. Fortunately, none of her turmoil truly showed on her face. “I will keep that in mind.”

While Estrellir did not have anything in mind as they waited, Verena left the building to wander outside. The sun was shining mercilessly on them, but at least there was still a chance to catch a breeze or two. Twenty chimes to wait. She wondered if she should simply go to her clinic and return when the time was up. Probably not a good idea. There was a chance she might encounter a patient and then it would take a lot more twenty chimes.

Not much she could do but wait then. The half-Vantha noticed that Estrellir had chosen to follow her, but said nothing.

“Verena!” a familiar voice suddenly called out from her left after Verena stood outside Draer’s for a few chimes.

The young woman turned in time to see Cas dismounting from his strider with ease. He must have been patrolling, she thought. Unsurprisingly, the Paille had decided against using a shirt in the heat. Those of the Drykas had always been more than eager to show off their strong, tribal marks on their skin and Cas was no exception. At least, it was better than wearing a sweat-drenched shirt like most of the men in the city did in summer.

“Are you finished with your cooking?” he asked with a wide grin, acknowledging the Konti beside her with a polite nod. “I was thinking of taking you to lunch afterwards. We can eat your little project after.”

Verena glanced back at the building, wondering how many chimes were left for her to wait. Cas had been taking her to a lot of lunches and dinners lately and the Lorak could not quite figure out why. “No. Just find me in the clinic later,” she dismissed with little emotion behind her words.

Unaffected, Cas turned to the Konti standing next to her, with a charming smile and an extended hand. “I don’t believe I have had the privilege to meet you before, my lady. My name is Cassius Paille and you are?”

OOCHope you don’t mind I brought Cassius in XD Just so that they have something else to talk about, since Verena isn’t likely to start another conversation.
Last edited by Verena Lorak on March 2nd, 2016, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next