Closed Melting Point

It's actually different for every chocolatier. (Verena pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 5th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Estrellir smiled vaguely. During their conversation, she’d already noticed the Lorak displayed a curious rarity of facial expression, but that had attracted her attention in some way. Kenash was all about masks and, although she seemed to believe herself to be different, Verena Lorak was wearing one too. True, hers had a different look and feel to it, but that only fueled the Konti’s curiosity. So when Verena commented on her profession, she wondered if it meant nothing like her expression suggested or if something was gnawing at her deep down.

She’d followed the human girl into the sun and stifling afternoon heat. Opening her fan, Estrellir tried to casually cool her face and neck as she followed her companion. She was walking a step or so behind Verena, keeping a healthy distance, but staying close enough to continue the conversation if addressed. Anyone observing them would think they were taking a stroll together too.

When Verena stopped outside the shop, Estrellir took a few steps to wander around in the vicinity. After just two or three, however, a male voice called the other girl’s name and galloping hooves were approaching. Turning around, Estrellir observed the brief exchange between the girl and the Paille scion. She’d just lifted her locks from her neck to fan the sweating skin underneath when he began introducing himself to her. Polite and handsome, she thought.

Of course, Estrellir already knew he was a Paille before he opened his mouth. Still, she returned the friendly smile and shook his hand. “Estrellir Konrath and delighted to meet you, Cassius. I take it you’re the lucky man who gets to eat a girl’s homemade chocolate then?” With the honeyed words, her smile turned into a bit of a grin. She was teasing, glancing at Verena at the same time to catch her reaction (if there was one).

Licking her lips, she wondered what their relationship was like. Verena struck her as a girl who kept quiet about her social life instead of flaunting it at every party and social gathering she could attend. The grapevine was curiously quiet about this particular Lorak which, to Estrellir, constituted proof enough. Cassius seemed the typical Dynasty son, but Verena’s clipped answer to his question hinted at buried problems in their relationship. Maybe she was overthinking the matter though? Hard to tell with her lack of expression.

Still wondering, she felt her tongue moved faster than thoughts. “So it is correct that you two are seeing each other? You look good together, if I may say so…” A brief smile illuminated her pale features. Partly to provoke Verena, partly to test Cassius, she was looking forward to seeing how they’d react. Studying the quiet Lorak had just become much more interesting.
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on March 2nd, 2016, 9:00 am

Of course, it shouldn’t have surprised her that her betrothed would introduce himself to Estrellir. Verena did not particularly mind, but she had little patience for small talks. Still, she knew better than to

“Unlucky you mean,” Cas replied easily, a smirk tugging at his lips. Verena couldn’t help thinking about his skepticism on her cooking skills. “Considering that she had never cooked in her life, I might end up getting poisoned.”

Verena glanced up at the man with mild annoyance. “I am not going to poison you.”

“Not purposely.”

Before the Lorak could retort, the Konti spoke, “So it is correct that you two are seeing each other? You look good together, if I may say so…”

Seeing each other. Verena knew what the Konti was asking – thanks to Zorane’s constant lessons – but she had always wondered why people make such a term. It was just an odd expressing since you see a lot of people all the time and it did not describe the commitment people meant when they were saying it.

Fortunately, Cas decided to answer for them both before the young healer started asking what the Paille had called ‘disturbingly endearing questions’. “Why yes, we have been together for…” He trailed off, estimating the time passed since their betrothal.

“Three years,” Verena finished for him instead. It was not difficult to remember that it had been three long years since Caedmon told her that Steven would not change his mind about betrothing her to his older brother instead of him, that they could not be seen together anymore. Three years since Cas took his younger brother’s place at her side.

People had always asked her whether she loved him or not. It had been bearable at first, but more people kept asking her. Verena wasn’t stupid. She knew that they questioned her because they wondered whether or not the odd Lorak girl could have feelings. Most of them did not know about her brief romance with Caedmon and those who knew would prefer to keep it that way to avoid the rumors.

“And you, my lady? Surely someone as stunning as you already has someone close to you heart?”
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Words: 234038
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 5th, 2016, 9:32 am

Estrellir laughed softly at their little exchange, violet eyes darting back and forth between the two. They already seemed to be more familiar with each other than the typical Dynasty brats trapped in arranged marriage. Of course, most of it came from Cassius, but Verena didn’t protest. Maybe it was just her way of dealing with people, that neutral expression and dry sarcasm. If so, Estrellir understood where she was coming from.

She noticed how Cassius hesitated to recount the amount of time they had been betrothed, but Verena could recall it immediately. A raised eyebrow was all that showed of her interest, although that little detail said a great deal about their relationship. Verena apparently had some kind of problem, concern or something else with being engaged, although Estrellir wasn’t sure if it had something to do with who she was engaged to… or not. They seemed to get along, but weren’t particularly close, at least not on the girl’s part.

Interesting, to say the least. Estrellir knew, from her own family and sisters on Konti Isle, that medicine tended to be a demanding and time-consuming business. What could be more important than saving lives, after all? It would’ve been acceptable to focus on work for a doctor, yet Verena Lorak wasn’t allowed to. Then again, in a family full of healers, one so blessed by Rak’keli, she guessed they also had to focus on different things once in a while.

“Three years is a long time for some,” she said eventually. “You’d think a marriage would’ve been organized by now if it weren’t for very specific reasons…” Political reasons, of course, for every decision made by a Kenashian Dynasty was more or less political.

Then she laughed and gestured vaguely with her free hand. “Well, I can’t deny your logic… but no. I only recently returned from Mura, a few years ago in fact, and haven’t had much time between business and social duties. I still don’t know many of the younger Dynasts. Like you two.” Given that the Konti looked about their age, that’d be an odd comment to make – unless one knew how old Konti could get.

“But when can we expect the marriage? I’d definitely want to save the date!” Smiling slightly, she was still observing the two with thinly veiled curiosity glittering in her eyes. The question was harmless enough, she hoped, but once again their reactions would reveal more.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on March 9th, 2016, 6:07 am

“Three years is a long time for some. You’d think a marriage would’ve been organized by now if it weren’t for very specific reasons…” What the Konti said was true. Their betrothal had been stretched out for far too long. Not that she was excited for a wedding. Between the troubles that struck Kenash and her family, the plan for their marriage was usually on the back of everyone’s mind. Unfortunately, Verena knew that it wouldn’t take too long now. Not when Lorana would want to secure their alliances with the Paille Dynasty.

Estrellir’s particular wording caught the healer’s attention. It was so much easier for her to analyze words rather than expressions. Unfortunately, the Lorak had learned time and time again because of her inability to read most people, interactions become a whole lot more complicated. “Younger? Are you not our age then? You look twenty at most.” Living in Kenash, Verena knew well of the Konrath’s longevity, considering that they consisted of mainly Akalaks and Kontis. It had always fascinated her how they could age but look the same for decades.

Apparently, the Konrath was still quite interested with their relationship for she asked, “But when can we expect the marriage? I’d definitely want to save the date!”

At the mention of a wedding, Cas shifted uncomfortably while Verena’s expression did not shift. “Perhaps next year,” the young woman replied plainly. The only reason they were not married yet was because of her mother’s exile. She knew the story had spread like wildfire after that day. “They say I need time to recover.” A time to mourn, they said to her. As if she would accept the fact that her mother was sent out of the city simply to keep the Lorak’s good name if given the time.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 9th, 2016, 12:14 pm

OOCSry for the weak post, I can't really think of a way to give you more to reply to.

Estrellir lifted damp hair from her neck to subtly fan herself again. The question was expected, of course, but she allowed herself a little grin all the same. “I’m 61. We can live up to 250 years and we age differently than you. Most of us look like young women until they’re well into their two hundreds.” There was a softer undertone to her grin though. It wouldn’t hurt if Verena knew such things, being a doctor and all, otherwise her explanation would’ve been less sober.

Her sigh, however, was slightly exaggerated. “Of course, that also means that I’m the generation of your parents, even grandparents. I grew up with those who help run their families or lead successful businesses nowadays. One has to adapt though.” It was strange, comparing other households to the Konraths. Both Konti and Akalak were long-lived races, their ability to form long-term plans only rivaled, perhaps, by the Zulacas. Estrellir still ranked low within her family as far as age and experience were concerned, but compared to humans her age she didn’t have any impressive achievements to show. Given their age and different thinking, she hoped Verena and Cassius wouldn’t guess what she had (accidentally) hinted at.

She watched the pair with wide violet eyes as Cassius Paille shifted nervously. Once again, Verena answered and her eyes narrowed. Apparently it was the girl’s fault that they hadn’t set a date yet… or her family’s. Sometimes, especially with the stoic Lorak, it was hard to tell family plans from personal preferences. Estrellir relaxed a little when Verena hinted at the story with her mother. Of course. How could she have forgotten?

“Quite reasonable,” the Konti said slowly, dark gaze shifting back to Cassius for a tick. “Though it seems to me that what happened isn’t something you recover from, no? Naturally, I know nothing of your case, but there have been similar incidents before.” Once again, she focused almost all her attention on Verena, hoping not to leave the wrong impression. Every Dynast had to deal with conflicts in their own camp sooner or later – and you could learn a lot about the individual just from where and how they positioned themselves on the chessboard.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on March 21st, 2016, 11:08 pm

61. “You are older than even my mother,” Verena observed rather crudely, tilting her head slightly – it did not cross her mind that it might sound rude. On the other hand, the Paille noticed and nudged his betrothed lightly as he placed an arm around her waist. Which only acquired a look from Verena.

The Konti was three times her own age. Verena wondered what it felt like having such a long life, how much knowledge she possessed, how many things she had seen. Physically, Estrellir looked not so much different from the normal human, yet her body could sustain the appearance of youth a lot longer than humans can. It was only until they reach their hundreds that their appearance change. What could possibly allow such things?

It was difficult imagining this woman being around back when her parents were her age, conversing with as she did with her now. Creatures with long lives had always fascinated her. “Does it feel odd, being unchanging for so long?”

The return to the topic of her mother was enough to dim her excitement. “No, it is not.” It was odd spending her life normally when such a big part of her life had been removed. She and Zorane were not even allowed to contact their mother openly. “Similar incidents? Really? Is it really that common for a Dynast to be exiled by her own family?” Coming from anyone else, the words might have sounded sarcastic, while the Lorak was merely curious.

After the Konti had responded, Cas would suddenly straighten, as if only realizing the time. “I think taken your time enough, ladies. I should take my leave.” This was aimed mostly at the Konrath.

Verena glanced up at her betrothed, not entirely thrilled at the thought of her leaving her alone in the conversation. “Where are you going?”

Cas smiled. “I am still on duty, you know. I will find you at lunch.” Suddenly, he pulled her closer and leaned down, almost like he was going to kiss her. Instead, he whispered something in her ear, his voice low, “Don’t talk about your mother so openly, Ver. Now smile and pretend like I have just said something funny.”

Ending it with a brilliant grin, it would seem like the couple had merely shared an inside joke. “Try not to ruin my chocolate,” he said loudly. After pulling away, Cas bowed slightly at the two women and left.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 22nd, 2016, 9:39 am

Estrellir merely gave a cheerful shrug and laugh. “Guess I am. Not particularly, rather, it feels odd seeing you grow up so fast. I remember some of you as kids, then as young lords and ladies. I could never tire of watching you evolve and grow into your profession. It put some things into perspective.” Coupled with her gift of Divination, it meant that she had a better grasp of how time passed for humans than most humans themselves. In Mura, the Konti had been sheltered, even detached from the rest of the world, but in Kenash, they knew about maturity and old age. Sometimes Estrellir even pitied humans for their short lifespan… but there was no way she would let any of them notice.

She licked her lips and shifted her weight a little. Apparently her remark, intended to be lighthearted, had touched a tender spot for the Lorak. “I didn’t mean to imply that your troubles are common among young Dynasts. If it came across like that, I apologize. I was merely referring to the fact that few Dynasties are truly united within, although they do their best to give that impression in public. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Biting her lip, the Konti wondered if it was safe to ask about the reasons for Yvenna’s exile. Verena didn’t seem to be in a chatty mood though (if she was ever), so she decided not to push anything. There would be other opportunities, especially if she came to see Verena for some first aid lessons.

Estrellir was glad when Cassius changed the topic by announcing his leave. She offered a gracious nod, almost a curtsy. “Certainly. Again, it has been good meeting you. Now, you should go earn wealth and fame for your betrothed.” Like that, the half grin was back and widened as they exchanged what she assumed to be a private joke. The contradiction didn’t pass by unnoticed though, Estrellir still wasn’t sure what to make of them as a couple. That’d be something to add to her mental list of juicy stories to keep an eye on, people to observe. Shadows and secrets.

After Cassius had left, Estrellir turned back to her companion. “Shall we go back? It must be about time and we wouldn’t want your chocolate to get burned, no? If that is even possible with chocolate.”
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Verena Lorak on March 27th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Again, it was a little bit disconcerting to hear Estrellir saying that she had watched them grow up. 250 years to live. It was a lot of time compared to the life Verena will have. One of her own slaves was a Konti, but Taloe woud be young compared to the Konrath. How many births and deaths Estrellir could witness? The Lorak must seem absolutely young to her.

When the Konti apologized, Verena did not entirely understand for there was no need. However, her attention was quickly directed to the words that followed. “I was merely referring to the fact that few Dynasties are truly united within, although they do their best to give that impression in public. Wouldn’t you agree?” The Lorak did agree. It meant that she was not the only to have such a line of thinking. The thought was reassuring, if only slightly.

“Shall we go back? It must be about time and we wouldn’t want your chocolate to get burned, no? If that is even possible with chocolate.”

Verena simply nodded at the pale woman’s suggestion. Only when the conversation ended that the usual exhaustion followed. She could never quite explain why prolonged social interactions drained her swiftly. The healer had no problem spending hours operating on a patient, yet such a simple thing cost way too much.

As they walked inside, the Lorak what Estrellir thought of her. At least, she was quite sure she hadn’t insulted the other woman and Cas’s convenient appearance did help smooth things out. So far, the Konti did not seem too bothered with her, but then that was how everyone seemed to Verena. It was only much later when Zorane reported the latest rumors about that Verena found out what people truly thought about her.

This was why she would rather keep to herself.

Kasha immediately saw the two Dynasts coming and offered them a smile. “Flawless timing, ladies. Your chocolate is ready.” The Draer quickly ushered the pair to the freezing chest. The other participants mostly had already taken their respective chocolates, opening their wrappings and taking a bite of their creation. It would seem like that Estrellir and Verena were the last ones.

Verena peered in an effort to spot the chocolate that she had spent quite some time making. It wasn’t difficult to tell which one was hers and which was Estrellir’s. Hers looked like a shapeless lump. Gingerly, she picked it up. It was a wonder how she could manage to complete a flawless suture, but not the simple task of making a chocolate. Cassius would no doubt tease her as soon as he laid his eyes on it.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Melting Point

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 31st, 2016, 9:22 pm

As they went back to the chocolate store, Estrellir tucked away her fan and combed her hair over one shoulder with deft fingers. No matter what she did with it, she simply couldn’t win against the humid heat of the swamp. Following Verena into the shop, she wondered idly what the Lorak did with her hair during the hot seasons. Of course, asking one of her sisters would be the easiest way, but that meant revealing that she cared more than she pretended to. And Estrellir only cared enough to look presentable, never to stand out.

Perhaps it was the way Verena carried herself, not overly confident. Her back and arms were almost a question mark. Before the Konti could observe it in detail, however, they were greeted and led into the back by Kasha. Two or three Dynasts were standing around comparing their products.

Estrellir leaned over the freezing box next to Verena and spotted their chocolates immediately. Not necessarily because one of them looked unusual, but because she remembered their position and some of the others had already been removed. Pushing back tingling excitement, Estrellir took out her chocolate and inspected the result. While the overall shape was rectangular, it had lumped in certain places and thinned in others. After a tick of hesitation, she broke off a tiny corner and tasted it.

Her expression grew thoughtful as she chewed. The taste was alright, but slightly different than expected. “Odd. I think I messed up with one of the ingredients.” She grinned at Verena. “Yours might not look like much, but I’m sure it tastes better than mine. It must be some sort of baking rule. The prettiest cookies taste average, but the ugly ones are always delicious.”

Before leaving the shop for good, Estrellir thanked Kasha and promised to come back for shopping soon. Both girls had their chocolate wrapped and packaged so it didn’t melt in their hands. Once outside, Estrellir turned towards Verena with a genuine smile. “Thank you for keeping me company. It’s refreshing talking to a Dynast who sees things a little differently.” Whether she meant different than herself or different than most other Dynasts – that was for the other girl to decide. Estrellir merely hoped she had given Verena something to chew on just like the Lorak had given her (by accident, of course).
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Melting Point

Postby Konrad Venger on September 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Estrellir

XP:
Observation - 3
Socialization - 4
Investigation - 2
Cooking - 2

Lore:
Recognizing Vantha by their Eyes
Never Miss a Chance to Advertise
Investigation: Asking the Right Questions, the Right Way
Verena: A Refreshing Dynast

Verena

XP:
Observation - 2
Socialization - 3
Cooking - 2
Subterfuge - 1
Investigation - 1

Lore:
Zorane: Mother's Boy
Konti's are Easy to Spot
Socialization: Making Introductions

Shared Lore:
Cooking: Chocolate Mix
Cooking: Stiff Paper as Mold for Chocolate
Cooking: Freezing Box
"Accidents" in Kenash

Click Me! :
Bravo, ladies! You're both fine writers so no real need for critique, here. I know there wasn't much intent for booty out of this, but natch you get some Cooking stats, Lore and of course Detective McGranny gets a lil' bump with her investigation.

Est, as usual, some great turns of phrase from you: "the stale taste of the word accident" was my favorite, very wry and evocative.

Verena, you have the perfect handle on your character. Her vulnerability and her probity and her sorrow and desires... all well-evoked without being spelled out like a dullard.

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4