Solo Orphan Games

Sayana rescues a child from getting trampled and gets a welcome at the orphanage.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Orphan Games

Postby Sayana on July 16th, 2015, 11:41 pm

Summer 20, 515 AV.

The streets were busy, too busy. Sayana tried to push through the crowds while avoiding elbows and taking care not to get stepped on. What was the matter? She knew things might have gotten a little busier with the new construction projects along the streets. And clearly this was the reasoning for widening them. She had half a mind to skip the street entirely and find her way through the winding corridors of the Maiden District even though it would be the longer route. Longer by distance, but at this rate it might have been shorter in time.

When the Eypharian turned around to go back, there was a sudden onslaught of pushes and shoves. A couple people fell to the ground and there was a high pitched cry as it looked like a little girl was going to get trampled by the throng. Quickly, Sayana butted through the crowd just enough to reach her and snatched her up from the ground.

“There you go little one. These streets might not be the safest right now.” Sayana spoke gently as she set the girl back on her feet. “But I have to get through!” Came the little girl’s response and she attempted to run into the crowd once more. However, Sayana quickly caught her by the shoulder.

“Look, I think I know another way around. You sure you don’t want a piggy-back through the crowds?” Sayana asked temptingly. The girl grinned gleefully at the idea. “Yes, yes! Pick me up!” With a smile in return, the Eypharian bent down and the girl clambered onto her back. She held the girl’s legs firmly with her low hands and stood up. The child was probably only six or seven and was easy enough to carry on her back lick that.

“Onwards!” Came the cry from just above her ear and the girl made a wild gesture with her arm. Chuckling, Sayana adjusted her grip and started to weave through the crowd to the nearest door of the Maiden District. It seemed like other people had a similar idea, so it wasn’t much less crowded, but at least they were moving instead of being entirely blocked up. “So honey, are your parents around? And what’s your name?” Sayana asked the girl.

“No they aren’t. My name’s Lily.” She replied simply.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Orphan Games

Postby Sayana on July 16th, 2015, 11:46 pm

“Lily. That’s a pretty name. I’m Sayana.” The Eypharian replied as she pushed through to the corridors of the Maiden District. “Watch your head.” As she stepped into through the door she began to pick up the pace.

“So where are your parents? Or where are you headed?” Sayana asked curiously. “To the Orphanage,” Lily replied simply and answered both questions with the single statement. “Oh. Well then, all the more reason to give you a great piggy-back! Bet you don’t get many of those.” Sayana tried to respond cheerfully and then set off to dash down the hallways. She turned this way and that as the corridors twisted. Sayana adjusted her grip on Lily’s legs and then at a straight section she sprinted forwards with the little girl laughing happily. Panting heavily at the exertion, Sayana slowed down again and sought to find an exit to the maze of apartments. But when she peeked out to see the road, it was just as crowded as before.

“Looks like we’re doing it the indoor route. The Orphanage is up by Kova’s Well, right?” “Not quite. You know the Syliran Theatre?” “Yes.” “Go there and I’ll point you in the right direction.” “Yes Ma’am.” Sayana grinned at her little passenger who was quite thrilled at the ride. The Eypharian proceeded at a light run, every so often adjusting her grip on the child so she wouldn’t fall.

At last they made it to the Syliran Theatre, with Sayana panting heavily. “This way,” said the eager child as she pointed out the directions to Sayana. They continued at a walk until the Welcome Home was in sight. “Come on, come on. Take me inside and to the play area at the back.” Lily begged and so Sayana conceded.

However, the moment the Eypharian placed the girl down, she tapped the dancer and dashed off. “Tag! You’re it! Count to thirty and try to find us.”

Sayana was surprised she had managed to fall into their game, since there were clearly other orphans dashing off at this point to hide, yet she decided to play along and closed her eyes slowly counting to thirty. “One, two, three, four…” Fortunately the girl had picked a splendid number to count to and Sayana ticked off her fingers as she proceeded up to thirty.

“… Thirty! Coming!”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Orphan Games

Postby Sayana on July 16th, 2015, 11:48 pm

When Sayana opened her eyes, there wasn’t a child in sight. Well, except the one who poked his head around the tree. “Found you!” She called out as she pointed to him. She then started looking through the bushes. There was a giggle and Sayana leaped towards it and pried apart the bushes. “Got you two!”

There was a mad dash from the right as a girl ran towards the porch. “I see you, I see you!” Sayana called. “This porch is safe. Home free!” The girl asserted with a stomp of her foot on the wooden steps. So slightly different rules. Sayana kept searching through flower beds but every so often kept an eye out for an orphan who might reach the safe spot. There was another mad dash, and this time she managed to intercept the boy. Except, another child ran out from the opposite side of the play area at the same time and reached porch.

“Three more left!” One of the orphans piped up. The Eypharian managed to catch one but the other two evaded her.

“Again again! Close your eyes and count to thirty!” Shouted the first girl, Lily. “Wait, I should get a chance to try hiding,” Sayana interjected. The little girl frowned at the thought, clearly having not considered the idea. “It’s only fair, right?” Sayana pressed. “And besides, you’ll probably spot me no problem since I’m bigger than all you.”

“Oh all right…” Lily replied slowly. “I’ll be it. One-two-three-four…” Her counting was far faster than Sayana’s and the Eypharian had to dash off quickly to find some sort of hiding place. There was a shed near the back with a row of small cedar trees lining the edge of the play area. She quickly ran to hide behind the shed and could feel her heart pumping by the time the girl called out. “Ready or not! Here I come!”

Sayana was dead quiet at first and could hear a couple of giggles coming from one side of the play area. She poked her head out briefly, but the moment she caught sight of Lily she ducked in behind the shed once more. Perhaps the cedar trees might provide enough coverage to get to the porch. After taking another look at Lily to see that she was distracted, Sayana took a step to hide behind the first tree, then quickly stepped to the second. When the girl turned to look her way, Sayana froze. Unfortunately, red hiding behind green wasn’t the best combination. However, out of lack of ability or out of pity, the girl turned away to seek out the other children.

Sayana slowly shuffled along hiding behind the cedar trees. Then at last when she thought she was as close as she could get to the porch, she made a sprint for it. “I see you!” Lily called out. “Gotta catch me!” Sayana replied with a grin. The young girl made a swipe for the Eypharian but Sayana swerved to the left and managed to dodge the hand. Triumphantly she landed on the porch with a jump and leaned on the railing panting.

“Go get the others Lily!”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Orphan Games

Postby Sayana on July 16th, 2015, 11:51 pm

The game of hide and seek soon wrapped up as the rest of the orphans were found. A few others made it to the safety of the porch but it seemed like the game had been played many times and they were already looking for something new.

“You should tell us a story!” Piped up one of the younger ones. “And how’d you get so many arms?” Asked another. “My arms? Well that is indeed a story.” Sayana replied and extended them out in an elegant display. “You see, I was descended from a river spirit. And the river had these six huge branches, or forks in the river.” “Like the Avitar?” Chirped another kid. “Yes, but much much bigger,” Sayana explained.

“But that’s not the story I’m going to tell you,” the Eypharian continued as she sat down in front of her audience of children. “I’m going to tell you of the story of how I met the Pressorah Bashti.”

“What’s a Pressorah?” One of the orphans asked curiously. “A Pressorah is like a Queen.” “Like Loren Dyres?” “Yes, but more beautiful. Just don’t tell him I said that.” Sayana replied with a grin and an animated ‘hush’ with her finger.

“So when I was maybe seven or eight, your age, I used to play hide and seek all the time. Yet I played it in the grand city of Ahnatep.” Sayana began. “But more importantly, I’d be able to skip all my reading and writing lessons by hiding in the gardens or climbing up fig trees. Except once, I was climbing a tree and peering over a wall when suddenly the branch broke. And I fell tumbling and tumbling into a bed of flowers.” Sayana mimed tumbling with her arms spinning round and round towards the ground.

“When I landed and looked up, I was met with the beautiful face of the Pressorah. Her hair was of every colour imaginable and her eyes stunning with sharp black lines. So she said to me, ‘What’s a beautiful young rascal like yourself doing ruining my gardens?’ I was about to apologize and tell her I’d fix it when she continued, ‘But perhaps you’re prettier than the flowers and worthy of becoming a palace concubine. Now run along before I decide to make you a personal slave of mine.’ She shooed me away and I needed no telling twice as I bolted away and jumped over the wall.”

Sayana smiled at the memory. She had tweaked it a little. It hadn’t actually been Pressorah Bashti. Though at the time, she didn’t think it was anyone but the Pressorah herself. No, it had been another noblewoman but the encounter had still stuck with her. And it was far better told this way.

The children were waiting in hopes to hear more and so Sayana attempted to satisfy them. “From then on, I always made sure to sneak out of my lessons whenever I could.” She gave a wink to the orphans and stood up with a quick spin of her skirt. “I have to get back to my dancing at the tavern. It was lovely meeting you all.” The Eypharian said her goodbyes and gave a wave to the orphans before departing. It had been quite the afternoon but well worth it.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Orphan Games

Postby Devi on August 31st, 2015, 7:09 pm

Your Grades have arrived!

Sayana

Skills:
  • Persuasion: 1
  • Running: 1
  • Stealth: 1
  • Storytelling: 1
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Investigation: 1
  • Subterfuge: 1
Lores:
  • Lily: the little orphan mischief.
  • Storytelling: Tweaking for dramatic effect.
Comments: Cute story, Sayana's such a big kid ;).

Let me know if you have any questions and don't forget to edit your post in the Grade Request Thread.

Happy Writing!

Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes