Closed [Event 41st] Some like it Hot

41st – A large herd of wild cattle and horses are rounded up and auctioned off to the highest bidders. (Moderated Event)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Event 41st] Some like it Hot

Postby Lian Windrunner on September 28th, 2015, 4:16 am

Lian gave Pearl a grateful look when she offered him a distraction as he had asked.

"Yes, I would like to help with them." he said with a smile.

His hands gestured "gratitude" as he spoke.

When he made his opening bid on the stallion, Lian felt Pearl's grip on his arm tighten painfully. The look in her eyes was one of rage, and horror. Lian's own eyes widened in uncertainty and confusion as to what he might have done to deserve such animosity from a woman he scarcely knew, but had started to like in the short time he had been living in their pavilion. Then she began to speak.

Pearl's words hurt, and they hurt him deeply. Lian knew that he had not been as kind to his captive as he could have been, but he had not been cruel, either. He had used her for the purpose she existed for as his captive, but he had given her her freedom as well, as long as she obeyed the few rules he laid down for her. He was not a cruel man. Nor was he a stupid one. What kind of monster did Pearl think he was to even ask that? He had heard the auctioneer's warnings, as had everyone else in the crowd. Did he truly look like the kind of cruel, heartless monster that would endanger children in such a way?

Lian stared at the hand on his arm for a long tick, giving himself a moment to pull deep within himself, and withdraw. He did not pull his arm from the woman's grip. Instead, he held himself completely still, allowing her to do as she wished.

"You must truly think me a horrible monster." he murmured softly, before he could stop himself.

When he met her rage filled eyes, his own gaze was utterly neutral, betraying nothing of the pain he felt at her unspoken accusations.

"Of course I intend to board the stallion if I win him. At the Guilded Horse, as the auctioneer suggested. I admit that I know little of breeding horses, but I intend to learn. Once I do, it is my thought that this stallion could produce good foals, much like that orphaned one that was sold earlier. Some would be for the pavilion's use, and others could be sold."

Lian's tone was one of polite formality. His signs showed the same polite formality, and indicated one of lesser status speaking to someone of greater status in a similar fashion of someone who had yet to bond to a strider speaking to their ankal, but not quite to the same degree.

"If I have said, or done anything to suggest that I am the type of person who would willfully harm a child, or risk harm to a child, then you have my sincerest apologies. The children of your pavilion are safe from me. I will not harm them through action, inaction, word, or reckless deed. Nor will I allow any harm to come to them in my presence if I am capable of preventing it. The animals of your pavilion are equally safe from me." Lian said, his words conveying a solemn promise.

Lian's words, tone, and body language were even more politely formal than before. His signs reflected "sincerity," and reinforced his polite formality. Lian wondered if he should offer to leave the pavilion immediately. If Pearl thought him capable of risking injury or death to the children and animals of her pavilion by keeping such a vicious creature among them, then she couldn't trust him even the slightest bit. This seemed to go far beyond the fact that he was a stranger to her. Because even a stranger...even a foreign stranger could be afforded some bare amount of trust. At least enough to trust that he would not deliberately harm a child of the pavilion. If Pearl could think him capable of risking harm to the children and animals by bringing that stallion among them, then she could not trust him even as much as one would trust a stranger who was a guest in their home. It would be hard on her, living in the same pavilion as someone she trusted so little.

But in the end, Lian did not offer to leave. In that, he was selfish. He was painfully lonely without his children. Living alone would only make his loneliness more complete. Living in the Blackwater pavilion, and having children around, even if they weren't his helped a little. But he would have to keep an eye on the situation. Dravite was his friend, and he would not repay that friendship by causing pain and difficulty for his family. For now, he would keep his distance, and try to earn their trust. If he could not do so, or if it looked as though his presence was causing the family difficulty, he would leave..
Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pearl on September 28th, 2015, 4:51 pm

When she saw the way Lian looked at her, wide eyes and truly shocked, she could only guess as to what had shown in her own eyes. Immediately, she felt regret for whatever it was that was there. Her emotions had been all over the place as of late to the point that even she did not know what she would do next. This had to stop. Regardless of the pain she felt at her own losses, she never wished to bring another pain or cause the suffering. She was a doctor. Her entire profession was that of healing and helping others feel better.

When he asked her, or stated rather that she must truly think him a horrible monster, the tears welled up in her eyes. “No,” came her immediate protest. “No, I do not think anything of the sort.” As Lian began to explain that he intended to keep the stallion boarded, her guilt multiplied. Of course he intended such. Why on earth would she think otherwise?

Her grip on his arm eased, and she found that she wrapped her other arm around it as he continued to speak, lacing both arms around his and holding to him as she leaned in to rest her forehead to his shoulder. Lian was a kind man, from everything she had seen of him and come to know of him. He even had children of his own, and she knew in her heart that he would never put any of them in danger.

He continued to explain to her, calmly, and evenly, his intentions for the stallion. As he talked, she was reminded of her father, and the flood of tears could no longer be avoided. She didn’t lift her head from his shoulder, but rather let the quiet tears fall as they may until he had finished speaking. When he had, she spoke her quiet apology, “I’m sorry, Lian. Please forgive me?”

She wanted to offer more, but each time she opened her mouth to speak, her mind told her to stop. He didn’t deserve excuses, and she didn’t know how to explain to him her reasons or reactions. The loss of her father, the loss of Bayon who was like a brother to her after she had lost her own, both of which had happened in such a short span and so recently, coupled with the emotions of the new pregnancy had all caused her emotions to become unpredictable. Perhaps Dravite was right. Perhaps she was delicate.

When she lifted her head, she looked up to him, the tears and pain raw on her face, and she repeated her apology, “I am so sorry. I trust you, and I know you will do everything in your power to keep the pavilion strong and the people in it safe. I trust you and your judgment on what you feel is best and I know you will make a great stallion out of the beast.” She was humbled before him and hoped he would accept her apology.

Pearl
Doctor at The River Flower

Words: 219351
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2015, 5:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Lian Windrunner on September 29th, 2015, 2:30 am

Pearl protested his belief that she thought him a monster, but Lian realized that she had to be saying that to be kind. After all, what else could she think of him if she thought he'd bring that stallion to the pavilion? Lian was relieved when she eased up on her grip on her arm, but when she wrapped her other arm around his, and rested her forehead on his shoulder, he froze.

Lian had no idea what to do, or say. Pearl was Dravite's wife, not his. Why would she touch him in such a fashion? They were strangers! And she didn't trust him in the slightest. She couldn't. What should he do? No woman had ever touched him in such a way before. The touch conveyed...Lian didn't even know what it was supposed to mean. His mother and sister had hugged him when they were alive, but that was a long time ago. He was younger then. And they were related. Pearl wasn't. Finally, Lian just held himself rigid, and utterly still, allowing Pearl to do as she saw fit, neither rejecting, nor encouraging her in any way.

And...was she crying? Yes...yes, she was. Why was she crying? What had Lian done to hurt her? All he had tried to do was attempt to reassure her that he wouldn't harm the children or animals of the pavilion! What was he supposed to do now? He wanted to make Pearl feel better so she would stop crying, but what could he do to help? If he tried to reassure her some more, it might just make things worse. When his younger sister Lily started crying, Lian would hug her, or pick her up, and let her sit on his shoulders when she was little. When she was too big for her to carry anymore, he would stroke her hair, and sit with her until she felt like talking. Then they would work out whatever was bothering her. But Pearl wasn't a child. He couldn't distract her by giving her a ride on his shoulders. He couldn't even lift her high enough to try. Not without making matters worse, at least. And Pearl wasn't his sister. He didn't know her well enough to know what to say to make her feel better. Panic made his thoughts chase themselves around his mind in fruitless circles as he tried to decide what to do.

When she finally spoke, Lian felt deeply relieved. That was something he could handle. She had asked him for something that required a response. So he would respond, and hope that it would help.

"There's nothing to forgive. No need to apologize. You've done nothing wrong. We're strangers. There is no trust between us. That has to be earned, and I haven't earned it yet. You have a family to protect." he said softly.

"If I were in your position, I would want to know if the stranger that had been invited into my pavilion was a murderer, too. And anyone who would bring that stallion into a pavilion where there were children and animals after hearing the auctioneer's warning would be nothing less than a murderer."

It hurt that Pearl would think him capable of such. But he could understand it. Dravite had invited him to join their pavilions. Pearl hadn't. Lian didn't know if his friend had even asked his wives if they would mind a stranger coming to live among them. Pearl had no reason to trust him. And if she were one of the people who believed that captives should be pampered and catered to until they agreed to uphold their duty and bear children for the Drykas, and she knew how Lian had treated Seirei, she had every reason to hate him. Waisana certainly did.

When she looked up, and Lian saw the pain in Pearl's eyes, and the tears on her face, Lian hoped that he didn't look as helpless and inadequate as he felt. She spoke again, and Lian shook his head.

"You have no reason to apologize." he said simply.

She told him that she trusted him, and knew that he had the pavilion's best interests at heart. It was a nice gesture, but Lian knew that it wasn't true. She didn't trust him, or she never would have believed him capable of risking harm to the kids. She had no reason to trust him. They were strangers to each other. Trust, like friendship, was built slowly over time. He had not yet earned her trust. Perhaps someday he would, but that day was not today.

Lian was no child to need false reassurances of trust and acceptance where there were none. He almost said as much, but held back. He didn't want to upset the woman further. So instead, he turned back to the auction, waiting to see if anyone else was going to bid..
Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pearl on September 29th, 2015, 3:34 pm

"I should go," she said quietly. She could tell Lian was uncomfortable with her now, by his look and the way he held himself so rigid and she had no desire to make him feel any more uncomfortable.

She took the quickest route away, stopping only to pay for the horses she had won and informing the staff that she would send someone to collect the animals soon. After that, she avoided as many people as possible on her way out, keeping her head down as she left the auction area.

Pearl
Doctor at The River Flower

Words: 219351
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2015, 5:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Merevaika on September 29th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Merevaika

Someone bid ten, and she was surprised that someone else was interested. She made him out in the crowd, but all she could see was the back of his head as he talked with a younger woman, who seemed emotional about his bid, probably fearing the horse. He reassured, and she assumed they were either siblings who lived together or married. After all, she did manage to make out a chevas mark on the woman.

Happy that she didn't need to continue with her bid, she paid for her purchases, signalling to everyone that she didn't plan to bid any higher for this stallion. With a brisk walk, she disappeared from them, ready to return later to take her horses.

Her horses. Her business at the Auction was done.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Colt on September 30th, 2015, 1:10 am

Shahar was a bit surprised at the outcome of the auction for the little black filly. He was particularly surprised that Seirei had even raised a bid, and was somewhat regretful at outbidding her. Still, Seirei herself seemed remarkably graceful in how she handled it; with no traces of ill will at all, she congratulated his victory with a smile.

Gratitude, Shahar replied earnestly.

After a moment of deliberation, Seirei seemed to decide that she had another inquiry. Would Kairi be able to feed the filly? Well, that wasn’t a question Shahar was exactly equipped to answer, seeing as Kairi was Seirei’s strider; his hands moved to sketch a question, but then stopped when he realized that the matter of feeding wasn’t the question she had been asking. She didn’t want to know about her strider’s willingness to feed the filly, she was wondering about his willingness for such a thing to occur.

Seirei wanted to help the filly as much as he did.

With understanding dawning on him, Shahar nodded. “It will take many hands to keep her healthy,” he said, offering on his hands. “I cannot do such a thing alone.”

Their conversation was halted as the last animal was brought out: the massive, violent stallion that had sired the filly in question. One miza, the bidding began with. And to Shahar’s vast surprise, it was Merevaika that took up that price. She was soon countered by Lian Windrunner, and then no one else seemed to dispute him. Shahar certainly didn’t; if Lian wanted such an animal, he could have him without contest.

Shahar had a filly to look after.

Assuming no towards the auctioneer, Shahar looked back and gestured for Seirei’s attention, then pointed at the filly they would soon be bringing home.

“Would you like to name her?”
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on September 30th, 2015, 4:45 am

A delicate bloom

Seirei saw Shahar's signs, and the first she recognized as meaning gratitude. The second was harder. She thought that it had something to do with gratitude. A type of gratitude, maybe? Emphasizing gratitude, perhaps? After a few ticks, Seirei gave up trying to figure out what the second sign meant, and accepted that he was happy that she had congratulated him. Or was he happy that she hadn't put up a fuss over losing the bid to him? Or both? Maybe the second sign that Seirei couldn't puzzle out was supposed to tell her what Shahar's gratitude was for?

Shahar seemed to think about whether Kairi would be able to feed the orphaned filly. When he finally responded, he spoke out loud, something for which Seirei was grateful for. It was easier for her to understand the spoken aspect of pavi than it was for her to understand the signs. His answer suggested that he had misunderstood her question, but it was still a favorable reply. She had, in part, been asking if her strider were capable of feeding two foals at once, in the hopes that the Drykas man would know. But the offer seemed to have made it through.

"I'll do everything I can to help." Seirei promised.

"But you will need to tell me what to do. I know very little about horses and striders." she admitted.

Her attention was caught by the massive, vicious looking stallion that had sired Shahar's filly. The filly was beautiful, and Seirei looked forward to getting to know her. But her father...that stallion looked like it would kill anyone that dared get near him. Seirei couldn't imagine that anyone would want him...and yet someone did. A woman that looked vaguely familiar took the bid of one gold miza, but she was quickly outbid by Lian. That confused Seirei. Lian was a hunter. What did he know of horses? Especially brutal, dangerous ones like this one? Then again...for all Seirei knew, he was a highly skilled trainer or something.

When Shahar asked if she wanted to name the filly, her eyes lit up with pleasant surprise, and she nodded. She tuned out the rest of the auction in favor of thinking a suitable name.

"What about Stormy, or Storm?" she asked after several chimes.

"Or maybe Lightning? Since Kairi is going to feed her, she will be Thunder's sister. It seems nice that their names should match."

Seirei frowned uncertainly. Nice wasn't quite the word she was looking for.

"No, not nice..." she said slowly.

"Good? Or right? I'm sorry. I don't always know the right words to say." she admitted softly.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Colt on September 30th, 2015, 5:08 am

While the nuances of his signs seemed to be a puzzle for Seirei, she did seem to get the core concept of what he was saying. Especially when he spoke out loud. It was something a bit rare for him, at least with those outside of his emotional purview. It was entirely likely that Seirei wasn’t even aware of the significance of his spoken word; almost exclusively, Shahar’s voice was reserved for those he considered to be family: Khida, Naiya, his animals, and now Seirei. For indeed, there was no dispute in Shahar’s mind that she was fast becoming family; she was not wife or bondmate, nor was she sister or daughter, but she was something altogether different and similar to all of them. She was Seirei, above all, who was almost certainly one of them now. Consciously or unconsciously, she was someone Shahar put for the effort of speaking to.

She agreed to help the foal with somber formality, and Shahar nodded in pleasure; three new horses would be a heavy burden for his shoulders alone, and with Naiya now in possession of so many new calves to integrate into their herd, he didn’t want to give any more weight where it was not wanted. And Seirei certainly seemed to want that weight.

“I will help,” he promised her. “Together,” you, I, “we will make a fine creature with her.”

Her eyes lit up at the mention of the filly’s need for a name. Names flew from her mouth in a hasty tumble, and Shahar blinked in bemusement before shaking himself and smiling appreciatively.

All of them, good. “They are all strong names.” No problem, comprehension. “You speak well.” No worries. “Is ‘fitting’ the word you seek?”
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on September 30th, 2015, 4:29 pm

A delicate bloom

Seirei had no idea how rare it was for Shahar to speak to those who were not family. But had she known, she would have felt deeply honored at having earned his words. She did remember him being quiet the one time she had met him in the past, but she had assumed he had simply been in a quiet mood that day, or was too focused on what she was teaching him to want to talk much.

When Shahar promised to help her learn, Seirei thanked him sincerely. Already she loved that beautiful little filly. Her being an orphan tugged deeply at her heart strings, both as a mother, and because she loved animals even if she knew little of them.

"I think she will be a wonderful horse, too." she said with a smile.

Shahar seemed to be overwhelmed at her reaction to being allowed to name the little filly that had won her heart so quickly. But he also seemed to like the names she had suggested. Seirei wasn't sure what made a name a strong name, but she was happy to have chosen names that he liked. When Shahar suggested "fitting" as the word she had been looking for, Seirei considered it for a tick. Then she nodded.

"Fitting, yes. That is the word I wanted. Thank you."

She made a gesture for "sincerety," and "happiness", but they were simple signs, the kind a child might use. They had none of the nuances that adults would usually use.

Seirei said the word again, softly, trying to commit it to memory. Then she turned back to the issue of names. Storm, and Stormy both invoked the image of dark grey storm clouds in Seirei's mind. Both names were a good match for Thunder, but she thought they might suit a grey horse more. And the tiny filly's mark wasn't exactly lightning shaped, but it did look a bit like lightning coming out of a cloud.

"What about Lightning, then?" Seirei asked Shahar.

"The white mark on her forehead looks a little like lightning coming out of a cloud."
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Tribal on October 2nd, 2015, 3:56 am

Koda’s wife Ringrose gave him a dirty look, one that said ‘you will be sleeping with the dogs tonight’. They had lost money on the stallion, but what they lacked there, they made up for in other sales. “Congratulations, young man!” Koda smiled, despite catching the filthy glance his wife had cast his way, “That is the last animal of the day folks! Feel free to pay the lady and collect!”

Ringrose found her smile before turning to face the crowd, jotting a little note down in her book, or was that the scribble of a hangman’s noose for her dear partner? She went around gathering gold and silver from those who had managed to purchase an animal before pointing them in the right direction or arranging for one of their workers to help lead the horses and Zibri out.

When she came to Lian, she wore an extra kind smile, “You take good care of that Nightwalker, don’t let him boss you around,” Ringrose smiled, “We can have someone deliver him to the guided horse if you would prefer?” With that she snatched up his money and started counting up the totals for their efforts this day.

G R A D E S

Amunet

Experience

• Negotiation: 1
  • Logic: 2

Lore

• Amunet: A day at the auctions
  • Amunet: The excitement of outbidding a friend
  • Negotiation: Requires concertation
  • Negotiation: Knowing when you've reached your limits
  • Event: Fall Auction 515 AV

Pearl

Experience

• Observation: 3
  • Leadership: 1
  • Socialisation: 2
  • Rhetoric: 3
  • Diplomacy: 3

Lore

• Pearl: A day at the auctions
  • Leadership: Making decisions for the good of a group
  • Naiya: A cheeky young woman
  • Pearl: The life of a doctor is a busy one
  • Shahar Dawnwhisper: Naiya's husband
  • Horse Breed: Nightwalker
  • Lian: Would risk the safety of his pavilion
  • Pearl: Worried Lian will leave the pavilion because of her

Rewards

-1 silver for helpful boy [please remove this from ledger]
200 Pearl 85 gm
79 Pearl 45 gm

Total: 130 gm 1 sm [please remove this from ledger]

Naiya Dawnwhisper

Experience

• Socialisation: 2
  • Observation: 1
  • Rhetoric: 1

Lore

• Naiya: A day at the auctions
  • Naiya: A supportive wife
  • Lian Windrunner: A disagreeable man

Rewards

361 Naiya 13 gm
118 Naiya 30 gm
66 Naiya 30 gm
111 & 112 Naiya 60 gm
440 Naiya 80 gm

Total: 213 gm [please remove from ledger]

Shahar Dawnwhisper

Experience

• Diplomacy: 1
  • Socialisation: 3
  • Logic: 1
  • Animal Husbandry: 1

Lore

• Shahar: A day at the auctions
  • Snow: An intimidating presence
  • Pearl: One of Naiya's friends
  • Shahar: Knowing when to back down
  • Naiya: Often gets what she wants
  • Seirei: Wants to raise the young foal on her mare
  • Shahar: Surprised Merevaika would want the wild Nightwalker
  • Seirei: Officially part of the Dawnwhispers

Rewards

22 Shahar 67 gm
37 Shahar 89 gm
393 Shahar 83 gm

Total: 239 gm [please remove from ledger]

Lian Windrunner

Experience

• Negotiation: 2
  • Logic: 3
  • Observation: 4
  • Diplomacy: 2
  • Intimidation: 1
  • Rhetoric: 2
  • Philosophy: 1

Lore

• Lian: A day at the auctions
  • Zibri: Lighter tones of hair fair better in hot weather
  • Zibri: Lighter shades of hair can be dyed
  • Zibri: Bigger cows have easier births
  • Shahar: An honourable man
  • Naiya: A silly young woman
  • Lian: Quick to anger
  • Seirei: Knows nothing about horses
  • Lian: A gift for an Ankal
  • Pearl: Doesn't trust Lian
  • Lian: Uncomfortable with Pearl being so close

Awards

78 Lian 17 gm
190 Lian 30 gm
666 Lian 10 gm

Total: 57 gm [please remove from ledger]

Seirei

Experience

• Observation: 3
  • Planning: 1
  • Diplomacy: 1
  • Logic: 1

Lore

• Seirei: Fears she might be pregnant again
  • Seirei: A gracious loser
  • Observation: The power of a wild stallion
  • Shahar: A kind man
  • Shahar: Will help teach Seirei

Merevaika

Experience

• Observation: 2
  • Socialisation: 1

Lore

• Horse Breed: Nightwalker
  • Horse Breed: Coloursplash

Rewards

69 Merevaika 150 gm
401 Merevaika 80 gm

Total: 230 gm [please remove from ledger]

Notes

Wonderful writing with all of you. Enjoy the rewards and new animals!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Previous