Closed [The Bronze Woods]Ode to Nexusaches [Clyde]

Clyde and Ball, post bandit fight.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods]Ode to Nexusaches [Clyde]

Postby Ball on November 8th, 2015, 9:03 pm

"My Speaking" My Thoughts

OOCMeh this post isn't as good as I was hoping. -.-

Ball stopped his mount and looked up at Clyde, the knights stopped shortly after they realized that the squire had stayed. “Go on you five. I know the way back well enough to the city. I will be sure to return the citizen safely home.” It appeared to be enough for the knights though, even though they hesitated at first Ball turned his gaze at them “Go.” the pycon spoke tersely, maybe it was the truth or some such about Ball knowing the way home, truth be told Ball knew it the rough idea of how to return to the Fortress City, but right now he had other reasons to stay back. Looking at Clyde he narrowed his eye, once the knights were away from the duo the Pycon growled, “Look, I have no idea what sort of bullshyke you are trying to tell me about a whatever or any shyke of that variety. I only recall one. One. You understand what that means? I only used it once.”

He slid off Imass's back and stepped closer to the man, “I know it's dangerous for gods sake, I knew that from the day I was taught it. Why do you think I haven't used it until today?” Ball paused, he could feel a mixture of anger and anxiety bubbling furiously within his being, “Fear. I know next to nothing of it. I still know next to nothing of it.” The pycon pointed back towards the clearing, “But in the last three years was the first time I felt anything remotely close to joy. I had no care in the world. Is that truly that wrong? Is it really that untrustworthy and fleeting, are feelings and emotions much the same?” Ball briefly recalled the short time he recalled the emotion known as love.

Clyde though went on, he spoke of magics and djed, Ball knew where it came from – he could feel the coursing sea crashing waves of it through his body. Clenching a fist he looked down at it. The Pycon had no response to that, the detail was there though, and it was good detail to know. Ball had no words until then end. Clyde had asked once more if Ball would get help, training in his magic if one will see it that way.

It was clear that Ball was torn on how to answer this question, it was clearly important to Clyde to want to keep it a secret. Ball could see that. “You… You have my word that your secrets won't pass beyond my lips.” Ball took his word seriously, he was pretty sure though this man wouldn't, something about the way the man spoke made Ball think there was something more.

WC: 456

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 9th, 2015, 1:57 am

Clyde didn't comment when Ball sent the knights on leaving the two of them and the squire mount alone.

Considering the discussion they were having, it was perhaps a good sign that Ball was sending them on and leaving the two of themselves alone. Or perhaps it simply meant he didn't want to be overheard.

Clyde wouldn't complain, as he felt better without the knights about, more secure than he had with a armed guard of Syliran knights.

Once they were gone he felt able to speak a bit freer, as did it seemed Ball.

“I understand what it means. Apparently better than you do. And you should understand that just because you only recall one, that it doesn't mean you only did one. I SAW two. Perhaps you should trust ME when I say that, instead of trusting your own magic glazed senses at from that time.”

Clyde could feel the Pycon's raw emotions, bubbling hot and fierce. Clearly even now he was not in control of himself, not in control of his emotions. If he couldn't even control himself now, it was small wonder he lost control when magic was involved.

“As for that joy being wrong... I can't say it is wrong, or right. It just is. If you understand it, if you control it and don't let it sway you, then it can be enjoyed without fear of losing oneself. But if it controls you, if you let it lead your actions, then yes, yes it is wrong, yes it is dangerous and likely to get you killed.”

Clyde paused for a moment, wiping a hand across his face and letting out a sigh.

“Those emotions aren't real. That feeling, wasn't real. It was just the magic's voice speaking to you. Telling you 'this is enjoyable, this is good, do more, do more, do more.' Magic's seductive voice. Clouding your judgement. If you do magic just to feel that joy, then you'll find yourself going down a road that leads to your own end, but only if you are lucky... If you are unlucky it could lead to much worse things.”

When the pycon gave his word, promised to keep Clyde secrets, Clyde simple gave him a sad smile, and shook his head.

“Your word does mean something, and with it I can show you some things, can teach you some things, but not everything you need to know.”

“With just your word alone, I can teach you some simple things. Techniques, some strategies, training for the mind. Things even non mages learn and use to control themselves. But from what you've said, from what I've seen and felt of you, I don't think that would be enough. You need to know more than just such simple things. For that, I need a firmer promise. A oath of an irrevocable nature.”

“If you want more, I will need this firm oath, and you must know that this oath once made cannot be unmade, and cannot be broken. If, as you said, you do not plan to break your promise, then it shouldn't be a problem to make the oath... It would then only enforce a promise you would have kept otherwise. But I... I cannot take the risk, cannot divulge such things, if I cannot ensure that what I tell you will be kept from others. From those who might use my knowledge for things I do not wish.”

“It is the burden of a teacher, to instruct their student, to teach them, and then to release them to use that teaching as they see fit. But some things, some things deep of magic, some things should not be known, and should not be risked as such.”

“But if you do make the true oath, then I will tell you all you need to know. I will tell you of magic, of its workings, of what you must know to understand and better control it. And I will show you other things, teach you other things, some magic and some not, to better aid you in your control and your magic.”

“It is up to you, I will not force you one way or the other, just be aware of what you risk with your choice. Take your time, you don't have to decide today, and I can go ahead and show you some of the simpler things. But that will be all I will show you until a unbreakable promise is made.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ball on December 11th, 2015, 4:19 am

Ball looked at the man, unsure of how to respond when he finally spoke again, he spoke of seeing something that Ball barely could wrap his nexus around. That monocular eye of Ball's narrowed, ever so slightly, “How can you see what I barely know? How can you tell me you saw two? Two! Hah.” Ball shook his head and turned, growling, “There was only one. How can I trust you? Hmm? You speak as if it is… Wrong, unnatural.” Ball looked down at his hands once more, opening and clenching them, watching the clay fold over onto itself. “It is no more wrong or unnatural as I am. Even if I understand it. Even if I controlled it. It is still me. Raw, uncaged, me. Do know you understand what that means? Do you Clyde have any understanding what I mean there?”

Ball turned back around and looked up at his 'savior'. Pointing back in the direction they had come from, his arm trembling Ball stared up, “What you saw back there was me… No… No techniques are going to stop that. You understand what I am trying to say? Do you?” Ball frowned, and shook his head, “No, something tells me you don't. Maybe I am still tired. Angry. Doesn't matter. Not really. You don't know me. How can you? We barely met.” Ball lowered his arm, frowning as he plopped himself on the ground.

“That… That may have been magic. I cannot deny that any longer, Staring Pycon made sure of that. She made damn sure Squirrel Pycon and I understood that what we were being taught was magic, dangerous… Volatile...” Ball looked once again at his hands. Violent. You meant Violent.

“The truth is… I cannot control me. You understand?” Once again he opened and closed his hands, they trembled as he stared at them, the feelings of sorrow, guilt, anger, confusion poured off him visibly. You are violence Ball. Admit it. Wherever you go, people hurt, people bleed. What happened back there… That was just a part of you. That was you, the real you… That was just an inkling of what you truly are capable of.

“Even if I could control… It. It… Me… Really it is all the same is it not? If magic can be fueled by emotions, then there really is no taming it. I have come to terms with what…” Ball laughed, “Sorry… Who… Who I am.” I am Violence.

Ball looked back up at Clyde, the laugh in his voice gone, his face stone serious, “Do you understand me yet? I am not going to just… Sign something so you can teach me to breathe, relax… Calm my petching thoughts.” Ball growled slightly. “If you cannot trust my word then why should I trust yours? You speak of a teacher's burden to instruct their students. If you call yourself a teacher you have already placed upon yourself, by your own words, a burden. Have you not? You have already made it clear to me that you are a mage. By your own admission. By your own words Clyde.”

Ball looked away from Clyde once more, his vision once again drifting to his hands. “I risk everyday with my choices.”

Ball sighed, “If I cannot tame myself, what makes you think you can?” Can one truly tame violence?

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 11th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Clyde shook his head, starting to get annoyed by the pycon's willful ignorance and apparent stupidity. He seemed to only be half listening to what Clyde said, taking that half of what he said out of context, and then deriving his own meanings from it.

He seemed to be making far too many assumptions from what Clyde said, assuming that Ball knew better.

Clyde was about done putting up with that. If Ball wanted to burn himself on his own flame, he wasn't going to bash his head against a wall to convince him the fallacy of his decisions.

“Shut up and listen for once, before you get yourself killed. I know, because I KNOW! Gah... You listen to half of what I say, assume you know better, and then take into question what I say. I don't think you truly understand the seriousness of what we discuss. The fact that I've even said what I've said shows a good bit of faith on my part, and a good bit of risk considering your of the knighthood.”

Clyde narrowed his eyes at the clay man, letting his annoyance show for once.

“I didn't have to save your life back there. Nor did I have to try and help you here and now. But I did, because I KNOW from experience what someone with your type of control will end up doing. I have something you do not. Experience in and of magic that you clearly lack. I've been working with magic for over a decade. I've seen mages like you. Ones that show the signs. I've seen them lose themselves in their magic, seen them go down that road. Seen it too many times...”

Clyde paused for a moment, a distant look in his eyes as he thought of the past, before jerking himself back to the now.

“If you want to live, and keep being you and not twisted in something else, then you should actually listen fully to my words. I never said any of it was unnatural, DID I? No! Paraphrasing. Half listening. There is no such thing as unnatural, that is only perception. If it occurs it is natural. Something can only be judged by its outcome, not some set of rules painting things in black and white and right and wrong.”

“Magic is as flame. Flame is not good or bad, not malicious or honorable. It is only fire. How it is used, the end result, that only can be judged, not the thing itself. Fire can be used, if used properly, for many things. To heat ones body, to cook ones food. To smelt ore and hammer weapons. All of those have one thing in common, their use is controlled and used wisely by those who understand and respect it.”

“But used less well it can burn down a forest, it can scar a face, or turn a shops stores to ash. Would you call that good or bad, natural or unnatural? NO! It just is, guided as it is by the one that wields it well or carelessly. And a blaze can be started full of destruction with as careless a move as leaving a lamp too close to a rug.”

“I offer to teach you, to teach you to understand, to respect, and control that fire, your magic. What do you do in turn? Question my understanding. I understand all too well. I've survived the crucible of the flames, and come out on the other side alive and mostly unscathed. I offer to use my experience in traversing that trip, and you turn about and question my understanding and belittle my value and offering? You are the one without understanding, unable to even apparently understand the rarity of what I am offering.”

“As for magic being fueled by emotions... Who the petch told you that pile of Shyke? Control is affected by emotions, can make it hard to concentrate, but it doesn't fuel magic. It can make your magic more sloppy, less concise, less controlled, but that is all it does. Emotions can lead to poor decisions, but it doesn't power, fuel, or cause magic. That would be like saying because I ran through a man in anger, it is emotion that fueled the thrust of my blade. Emotion can cloud and obscure, can loosen control and focus, but you are the one that does what you do.”

“It is fine to be angry. It is fine to be violent. But when magic enters in, those emotions can never by the driving force that decides you act with magic, or else you will lose yourself to said magic.”

Pausing here, Clyde held out his hand, showing the empty palm flat out to Ball.

“As for what makes you think I can teach you, teach you to control your rage... To tame yourself. I only know I can do that, because I did it to myself first. Don't make assumptions. And don't assume the calm man that stands before you was always so calm and collected, and hasn't learned to tame his own emotions and rage. I am a mage, and have lasted longer as one than many do. I wouldn't be as such if I hadn't learned such things, hadn't learned to be in control and make my own choices, and not to be controlled and have my choices made for me.”

It was then that Clyde decided that should the Pycon sign his oath, while he might keep other things secret, he would reveal his Reimancy to him.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ball on January 25th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Ball listened to the man turn back on him. It was shock that rolled from Ball – in both aura and expression. He listened, waiting for the man to finish. With an out stretched hand Ball looked at it, a look of thought exposed on his face. He is offering to help… Help me… Control this. Whatever the petch this is. At what cost? At what benefit to him? Ball turned away from the open offered hand, his eye staring down at his dog's back. Things would've been so much easier if Liege Lord or Ser Pycon were here. This isn't a decision I can make without guidance. I gave this man my word, yet he does not trust it. Do I accept his offer? Do I turn it down? What then?

Ball whimpered, a touch of fear rolled off his body. If I cannot trust myself, I cannot endanger others, even those who know what they are doing. I will have to learn this one my own. Or someone with the order… I will not endanger the life of a civilian. Ball turned back to the man, looking as confident and strict as a knight would if they had one eye and were shaped like a bean with limbs.

“I gave you my word. And you said that my word is not enough. Fine. My actions are my own, the consequences of them are mine to suffer with. I will not endanger another person's life to better my own. A knight wouldn't do that. We are taught to train within our ranks, with people who know what they are doing. I know now that I erred on the side of ignorance with what you know, but I will not err on that side when it comes to my training. Thank you, but no.” Ball turned his attention back to his mount.

A sigh erupted from his lips before he looked straight ahead and knocked on the dog's sides and issued it to go forward, “We better get moving once more. Otherwise we won't make it to the city before nightfall. The woods are already dangerous enough, I do not want to be out here much longer.” The words held a bit of truth to them, maybe something hidden beneath the words that signified that Ball wasn't talking about the bandits or creatures of the woods.

OOCMeh, sorry for taking so long… And so short… Meh

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 25th, 2016, 9:45 pm

It was clear from Ball's reaction that he hadn't expected Clyde to put his foot down, nor to speak so firmly. Clyde wasn't one to beat about the bush, nor was he to quell before someone just because they were of the knighthood.

His mind ran back to Ravok, as he was being tortured by what he'd thought was a member of the Rising Dawn. He was still confused on that point, but the man then had been attempting to have him sign a Oath of fealty and servitude more or less to him.

Clyde declined, but when one was being strung up and tortured by a wizard willing to do all manner of unpleasant things, that wasn't perhaps the wisest course of action.

He'd been defiant then. But unlike Ball, or at least from Ball's perception of things, Clyde was attempting to help. In Clyde's instance of a forced oathing attempt, it had been quite clear signing would have meant total control and loss of choice. Facing such a choice death was a better option in his own opinion.

Lost in his own thoughts and memories, he couldn't help thinking how ungrateful Ball was being. He was offering a much better deal, and wasn't even expecting control or fealty. No, he only wanted his secrets to be kept.

For a moment the thought of killing Ball flickered across his mind. It wouldn't be difficult... But he knew it would be far more trouble than it was worth. If it came to that he certainly would, and he found the pycon to be somewhat annoying from his refusal, but he wasn't going to kill him. Yet.

If he'd been in less control of himself he might have lashed out right then, might have acted upon his thoughts and desires. But he didn't, and so no action was taken.

His words though, his reply, made Clyde smile once more.

“Would you give a man a sword, one that could tear the world in twain, if he but promised he would use it well?”

“I've had promises of words before, words from people who hadn't just shown your limited amount of self control. So excuse me if I don't take you at your word.”

“However, you are either wrong or a fool to think your actions are but your own. You are wrong or a fool to think that choice, choice to only use your magic in anothers defense and not at anothers expense, will remain yours, if you continue as you are.”

“If you keep going as you are, choice will be the first thing you lose. When your magic controls you, it will have the choice, and I doubt there will be enough of you left to know the difference. You were warned, and don't forget I offered my aid when it might have still made a difference. You'll be lucky if your the only person your fool choices get killed. That's why I offered, offered my aid. I'll admit it isn't for any humanitarian or charitable reasons. Its in my own interests to have you in control, and not losing yourself to your self.”

Clyde began to walk again, heading along with Ball back to the city.

“You've never seen it, have you? How could you understand without seeing. Seen a mage go mad. Seen a mage go to where they aren't they, but are another. Never seen the glorious rapture of a man pushed beyond his limits, just before... It... They enjoy it. Its not like training a muscle. With that, if you push to far, to hard, there is pain, your body telling you to stop. With magic its the opposite, and you can go quite mad, and never know it.”

“There is a place in Zeltiva, an asylum, full of nothing but those who lost there minds to magic. Those are just the ones who survived such. Do you think the people there think themselves mad? Do you think any of them didn't think as you do, that you know better, that you can handle it yourself, that you are the exception? But I don't fear them, for they are clearly mad. No, I fear the ones who are mad, but you don't know, the ones who seem clear minded but aren't. Those are the ones that are far more dangerous. The ones that seem, even to themselves, to be of clear mind.”

Clyde's words had long since turned from the heat of before, and become a far more even toned voice. His tone and words were of a man with a heavy burden, with a knowledge that weighed him, not one of anger or lust or hate.

“Breathing helps. Breathing, even and slow. Breath before you act. Think, consider, know yourself and what you need. Consider if magic is needed, if you are the one choosing, and then act. Breath. Do not let emotions push you. Not anger, or hate, or joy, or righteousness. Breath, and clear you mind, and let everything slip away but what matters. Feel the anger ooze outward, and let your mind be calmed. That is the first step to mastering yourself and yourself, the first step to meditation.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ball on February 3rd, 2016, 2:30 am

“Only way I am giving a man a sword is if I am using it to put him down.” Ball grumbled, his nexusache was fading rapidly now, but this man's question was just useless, “You have had words of people. But those men weren't me. I promised a knight I would protect a Pretty Lady Pycon as she returned to her home isle. I spent a whole petching season in the snow on that isle full of women before I realized my duty was complete and I could return home.” Ball looked at Clyde and narrowed his monocular eye.

“I don't just give my word out like it's petching air or something equally to come by.” Ball turned his gaze back to the route they were following, there were fresh piles of manure dotting the path that was enough for Ball to assume they were still following the correct path, “My actions are going to get me killed long before they get anyone killed. Magic or otherwise.” Ball murmured. Yet he wasn't sure if his words were heard by the civilian or not, if they were Ball wasn't able to tell.

“I have not personally seen what you claim I have used as magic before no. But I have seen magic. Streaks of lightening turning the sky a ghastly vile green before the mages twisted the skies to their whims and struck the sea monster. The world flashed vividly that day. And it went horribly wrong too. I lost a brother that day. Be it from magic or that foul beast I will never know. When the man spoke though of an asylum and people being unstable mentally Ball frowned, that was not a fate he wanted of himself.

Breathing. Gods be damned. Breathing? Seriously! “Emotion pushes everyone. Some of us are able to ignore it.” Ball muttered, Some of us are ruled by them... Ball grimaced again and stopped Imass once more, he looked up at Clyde and sighed loudly, “If we are going to talk about meditating and clearing one's mind we best make camp. I am not going to just listen to you prattle on as we walk, I am three inches tall. Most of my attention will be to keep myself out of piles of horse shyke much longer.” Gods forbid. I rather just be home. I can't pitch a tent. I can't survive out here.

Credit :

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 14th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Clyde simply shook his head. The pycon was closed minded, and didn't listen to his words. Even now he took a phrase Clyde used and ignored his meaning, twisting it for comical or other effect. But in so doing he ignored what Clyde said.

He used the example of giving a man a sword, to equate teaching them magic, but Ball ignored or simply didn't understand this or its relevance.

But still, Clyde could turn the phrase back if Ball intended to misinterpret his words.

“You openly admit you wouldn't give a man a sword, but then think I should do so in giving you magic freely? That seems a bit hypocritical.”

“And you expect me to trust you on your word alone, and trust you are different to these others? I trust by actions, and your actions have not shown they deserve unreserved trust. Think about what you've done today. Your lack of control. Does it really convey that I should have faith in you? Actions, not words, are what I trust.”

The fact that he expected his actions to get him killed showed even more his lack of control. Plus with magic losing control and losing weren't the same. He could quite easily lose then, or get himself killed, with magic. But then he might also lose himself, and make a mess or hurt many other people before it was learned he'd lost his mind.

The pycon clearly didn't understand or respect overgiving. He'd be lucky if he just got himself killed then.

When he offered for the two of them to camp out, to stay overnight, Clyde shook his head. After what he'd seen of this pycon, he certain as shyke wasn't going to sleep near him. He still vibrated with an audible layer of djed, a after reverberation of his magic pealing on his aura.

“No. I would much prefer the comfort of my own bed tonight, after the day I've had. I'd like a nice rest. Besides, its clear from your assessment of my "prattling" that you give my words no value or credence. Why then should I continue to spout my wisdom earned from life's trials to one who does not respect or listen?”

“No, I'd rather retire to my own comfy bed. Perhaps we will meet again some day. And perhaps then you will actually listen, and not ignore and assume you know better, squire.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ball on March 19th, 2016, 4:56 pm

“I never said you should be giving me magic freely. The magic I already have, the understanding and control I do not, as both you and I have freely admitted several times now. I think we are beyond the point of my lack of control. You are grudgingly looking at my word as a lack of good faith, but I look at your insistence of that as a lack of good faith on your side. I am not asking to reveal secrets or asking you to teach me something you openly admitted in not having. I am extending my word as a sign of trust to your proposed offer of teaching me control.” With each passing step towards the city the reign of Leth was becoming more and more noticeable. Ball pulled himself down closer to Imass’s fur and frowned as the temperature started to dip down.
“My actions back there were dependent on the situation at hand, I did what I had to do to survive. Yet I did not realize the pull of how it made me want to keep going, I have learned a lesson there though. I will not deny that. Staring Pycon and you both mentioned overgiving, but I guess it takes actually feeling it – live it – to realize what it truly is. It is Hai.” Ball frowned the final hints of his nexusache fading away.
It seems Ball’s words were agitating the man. Not that it mattered, at this point they were both in an agreement that getting back to the city and their own respective beds was mutual.

“Your wisdom may have been earned from life’s trials but how do I know that your wisdom is any better or more valid than that of Staring Pycon’s words of wisdom, or Squirrel Pycon’s?” Ball was not trying to create an argument there, he was trying to make a point: words are words. “You speak first of actions and trusting them, now you are starting that my assessment of your words has no value or credence. Your statement holds the same ground in this conversation to me as my given word of trust has for you. You want to use my actions as a balance for trust. How can I take your wisdom without proof? You tell a good story, but you show me no actions.” Ball looked at the man, keeping the man’s face in his sight.

“My actions you keep bringing up so often were done in the heat of combat. I acted else I would not be here to have this conversation with you Clyde. Or have your own emotions during this conversation blind you of that? I still stand as much as you do for the actions we are now retreading repeatedly. If I hadn’t the control you keep bringing up that I lack do you think you would be standing here unscathed? I have the physical control to do my job. I already admit I do not have the magical control. You speak of control. You OFFERED me guidance. And yet you expect me to sign something to hold me accountable. Words spoken and words written are much the same thing Clyde. They are words.”

Ball growled but kept his mouth shut, I don’t usually talk to people, because all they say are words. Words. Before you offer guidance to someone, maybe take into consideration your lack of action there. You do not offer guidance and then demand something of the other. You offered guidance so I don’t go off blowing up others, I offered my word in good faith and trust to what you stated. I do not want to learn a new magic. I have no care for that. I offered my word on the guidance only. Is that magic? No. That’s instructions. You want action. Maybe provide me with some incentive.

“At least we can agree on one thing. Warmth and our own beds.” Ball grumbled and fell silent, using what little light left from Syna to make his way silently to home. When Syna’s reign finally ended and Leth was in full reign Ball did his best to use Leth to return home.

OOCSorry I been so busy RL with a new job and such. Finally getting things settled around, eventually I will get in the flow of things again.

Also, I think this thread is almost finished. If you want to wrap it up.

Credit :

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on April 6th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Clyde smiled and shook his head at the tiny Pycon, as if he found his words amusing.

“No, my clay man, overgiving is not terrible. It is wondrous. Which makes it all the more deadly. If it was terrible and scary, it would be easy to avoid. Instead it calls to you as a gentle lover, if fills you with joy as no drug surely can. I screaming scary lunatic is easy to deny, to say no to. A gentle, warm, enjoyable sensation, pulling you in slowly, that... That is much more endearing. That is what I know of... And that is what I understand. Magic is magic. Some is the same, some is different. But at its core, magic is magic. Something that holds true in one, a method, a thought, a means, often does so with another.”

“I don't have to know your magic to know of your magic, nor of how to use it. As with branches that share a common tree, you will find they are more alike than different, and sitting on one is similar to sitting on another. At least, until the branch finally breaks, and you fall to the ground.”

All anger and annoyance had faded from Clyde. He spoke to Ball, but he spoke more as if he was telling a parting word to a friend after a long journey together. Which, in a manner of speaking, was what they'd had.

Anger had risen before, anger and annoyance, but they had faded as his rationality and understanding took their place.

He wasn't perfect. He didn't succeed every time. He had been trying something with the clay squire, and it had not succeeded. But that did not mean he had failed. As with everything he did, he had learned. When another opportunity arose with another squire, he would do better. He would take what had worked here and expand on it, while learning what hadn't worked and not doing it next time. In the end even with failing he had gained knowledge and good intelligence. Intelligence and understanding of the knighthood, of squires, of how they acted, connected, and did. That surely, to Clyde, meant he would do better next time.

“But bear in mind clay man, timing does not change the action. Whether something is done while unstressed, or in the heat of battle, or while trying to prove your ability to one you respect and want to impress... It doesn't matter. Actions are actions, and actions taken in one setting often have a way of... Carrying over. For actions occur because of who you are, not just because of the setting.”

“You took the actions, because you choose to. The need, well that is questionable. I was there, I was aiding, and perhaps without your action we still could have won. And in the end the knights were close behind, though I will admit that is something only known in hindsight. But don't assume that because you took the action now, when pressed, you won't be pressed again, nor that you won't take the action again when not pressed. Actions once taken are taken, and so long as you have your own will they are your actions.”

To a degree Clyde knew he did have a point, though admittedly as Ball only knew a limited bit of his ability he wouldn't realize how unneeded in truth his action was. But perhaps even with what he knew of Clyde, there was a grain of truth that the actions taken, or at least the full length of them and the full use of djed, weren't needed.

As to Ball's mentioning of Clyde's understanding, and of him only standing here because of Ball's control, Clyde only smiled again, and said a parting quip as they split ways.

“But to look upon an egg, and know the bird that resides within. You can hold the egg, pet it, and keep it warm knowing that as you took it from a robin's nest, a robin will hatch. But what if you don't know the egg you hold, and instead a eagle springs forth? An egg unhatched is an egg unknown, and an egg unknown is not to be underestimated. Assumption and underestimation are both foul bed friends.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext