Closed New Lab and New People

Terag follows a rumor about a new magecrafting lab, and meets Clyde for the first time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

New Lab and New People

Postby Terag on November 5th, 2015, 2:56 am

72nd of Fall, 515AV – late morning

Terag was out and about on the streets at this time, the sun had already risen above the skyline and its light was beginning to awaken the city of Syliras from its sleep. While everything else seemed to be as usual, the same few faces he passed by as he left his home and walked into the streets, and the same first couple of steps, today was going to be much different. Last night, at The Rearing Stallion, Terag had heard an interesting bit of information: It would seem there was a new magecrafting lab being set up in Syliras. So instead of Terag’s normal steps out towards The Ironworks or out the front gate, he took a new couple of turns to follow this rumor.

He had been thinking on his past again, about the time he spent with his father training magecrafting, learning to make the tools and the other tricks of the trade. Oh how he now regretted not being more serious in his studies for it at the time, the stories at the time had been interesting but nothing that had made him truly want to learn. However, as the years went by his memories of those stories began to change, and the somewhat interesting tales had grown into fantastical fantasies. So he went to this new lab to see what mysteries lay instore for him.

It wasn’t long until Terag happened upon the door to this new lab. For all the imaginings and fantasies in his head, it was rather unassuming. Almost a disappointment. Almost, if he didn’t know better that even the most unassuming of objects could actually hold the greatest of mysteries and powers. Perhaps even this very door did, not just what lay behind. He’d be able to tell, if he had bothered to actually learn auristics from his father. He had mentioned something about being able to see the secrets kept away from the world hidden within items and people, but that interested him even less at the time. Terag knew better now, sometimes the best pieces of information, the perfect techniques and plans were the ones that were kept secret – for a reason. That reason, of course, was never good enough as far as he was concerned.

With a deep breath and a brief pause, he walked up to the door and knocked.
Last edited by Terag on December 13th, 2015, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

New Lab and New People

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 6th, 2015, 2:52 am

Clyde hadn't been up for long, but he was already enjoying his new lab. His old one back in Ravok had suited his purposes, had the tools of his trade and room to work. But this lab was much finer, with more packed into the same size space.

The floor was smooth, made of blocks of stone. The walls were covered in blackboards, along with chalk and some rags to wipe them clean. At the moment Clyde was using one to diagram the room and his planned set up, including actual wards drawn to scale that he would later make to size about the room.

There were various sized basins for various sized items to be cooled off arranged by size along one wall, the largest one being an actual full sized barrel with a stone bottom, the smallest little more than a bowl.

Off in a corner was a small bookcase, full of various writings on Magecrafting. Clyde hadn't yet had a full chance to peruse them, and the ones he had seemed rather simple and full of things he'd learned long ago. However one which was a book written by an apprentice listing the items he'd participated in making with his master was of interest. It included some common items Clyde had never heard of, which gave him ideas.

In the opposite corner from the bookcase was a writing desk along with a chair.

Along another wall was a long metal lab table with a tall metal stool before it. Arranged across and around it were various tools of Magecrafting, some of them ones even Clyde hadn't used before. But then his training had been simple in some ways, and he'd learned better methods that required more skill and avoided the need for some of those tools. If need be he could use them.

And of course in the center of the room was a finely made pedestal, of one solid piece of stone. It wasn't of rare materials, but was still finely made.

The room also had some other things here and there, but as they served no purpose to Magecrafting Clyde didn't pay much attention to them.

At the front of the room was the locked door that led outside. At the back was a pair of doors that led into some bedrooms, with a short wooden table set between them.

Clyde was just nearing the point of having mapped half the room and the planned glyphing when he heard a knock at the door. Even Clyde had to admit the fineness of his Glyphwork so far. This was nothing more than a quick scrawl, a casual attempt at glyphing, but even one with the most rudimentary knowledge of Glyphing would likely appreciate its intricacy and skill with but a glance.

Magecrafitng after all wasn't the only skill Clyde had of use in his enchantments.

Sighing, Clyde laid down the chalk, picked up Cha from where the blue wooden staff rested upon his left foot, and headed for the door. Taking out a key from his robes pocket Clyde unlocked the door, and slowly opened it to see who might be outside.

As he did he willed a small expansion of his aura, focused and imagined through Cha, and sent a tendril of his aura sight outward to snatch at whomever lay before him. His Auristical sight had a subtle touch due to his skill in the magic, one that easily snuck by most people's awareness, even those with magic.

“Yes?”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

New Lab and New People

Postby Terag on November 6th, 2015, 4:50 am

Terag didn’t have the skill to notice the magic that was observing him as the door opened. The only effect that he would have been able to tell, if he had even been focusing on feeling it, is that he was put somewhat at ease. Having grown up in a magic household back in Sultros meant the feel of magic almost felt like second nature and was as natural as standing in the cool air of the mountain caves. This also meant that Terag did not have the ability to hide anything about himself. Either way, the feeling passed by unnoticed as the door opened fully to reveal the man inside.

The man was tall, at least to Terag he was as the man was almost an entire head taller than the Isurian. The mop of brown hair atop the man’s head did nothing to hide his bright blue eyes. While his hair was a bit messy, it seemed to the fit the man. Besides, for a mage he was probably more well-kept than most, at least compared to the few human mages he had met thus far.

Terag smiled some, trying to be as friendly as possible, as he raised his left hand and waved first before extending it forward to shake the mage’s hand, Terag’s hand glinted some in the morning sun. “Hello. You must be the man in charge of this lab, yes? Nice to meet you and welcome to Syliras!” If Terag’s look hadn’t given him away as a foreigner to this land, than his accent surely would. “There is quite a few rumors already spreading about you. Thought I would come and say hello, being new is not the easiest thing. Not to mention being a mage in a place like this, no? It would seem everyone is just scared of magic, just like back home. It is nothing to be feared of if the one behind it knows what they are doing, yes?”

Terag smiled a bit more, placing his hands into his pocket before realizing he had forgotten to even introduce himself. “Oh! I apologize, I have rambled on and I did not even introduce myself. My name is Terag, Terag Magehand. I am a smith over at The Ironworks. Hard work, but no magic unfortunately. So how about you, what is your name?” Terag seemed more relaxed as he finished speaking and awaited for Clyde to begin speaking. Maybe he’d make a friend that could also use magic, or even better perhaps Terag would be able to learn something. There were few things that compared to that after all.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

New Lab and New People

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 6th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Clyde knew the man was an Isur the moment he set his eyes on him. He had met others before of his race, knew their arms, and of what they could make with them. He'd trained for a short time under one in the great smithy of Syliras, had learned a bit of blacksmithing, though he himself was no great smith.

Still, Clyde knew of Isur and their uses, and so was interested in why this one way approaching him and his lab. It had not even been done a handful of days, and this unknown person was here.

The isur was a notch within his aura sight, a deepness of a living person amongst the mundane objects about them. Excepting of course Cha, which shown brightly with a strong force if he focused on her aura. He'd learned long ago to tune her out though, her aura melding more or less with his own for all extents and purposes.

In his aura sight he could see the isur in his totality, as if he looked from every side and none and saw him completely. Such required only the briefest glimpse upon his aura, the briefest bit of focus, as it was such rudimentary information.

Clyde took the offered hand and shook, not baring down with his full force but not offering a limp noodle either.

His words though interested Clyde. Rumors? He hadn't expected half of the city to hear of his lab, even if it was a magic lab in Syliras. Clearly the workman felt no need to be discrete and had gabbed about their actions to any who would hear it. Clyde was glad to know the men had been free with their information, but a bit annoyed by it. He had a feeling this information being known to others would be more of an annoyance if not outright dangerous.

He didn't need random people wandering by his lab, trying to get inside, to see what he was doing, interfering, or causing other types of trouble. Perhaps the Isur would be of use, and perhaps he would have a valid reason for coming, but he had a feeling he'd see far more people coming for invalid reasons or no reason at all.

“Greetings Terag. I am Clyde. Clyde Sullins. And yes, I own and run this lab. Though its barely been finished, so I've yet to put it to much use.”

“Although I'm not happy to know that everyone knows about my lab. Its not a secret, but I'd prefer the general populace didn't know where I was. The last thing I need is random people poking in their nose for no good reason.”

Clyde said this last bit a bit pointedly, making it clear he wouldn't be happy if the Isur was there for a social visit or just to poke about for no good reason.

Learning the man was a smith was not unexpected, but still worth noting. Perhaps he could have the Isur craft something for him of use in his Magecrafting?

If nothing else he could be of use in such a way. While they talked Clyde honed in his aura sense, drilling down deeper for less obvious knowledge. In particular he focused his senses for detecting djed remnants, a by product of personal magic use. If he was a practitioner of such magic, Clyde could likely tell, though it would take time to bring his senses into the right alignment to see it within the Isur's aura, or to learn more.

“Well... Why don't you come inside... Perhaps you can tell me why you've come here, and what interest you have in my lab. Or perhaps did you wish some work done, and desired a item commissioned?”

Clyde would stand aside, holding out a arm for the Isur to head inside.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

New Lab and New People

Postby Terag on November 8th, 2015, 3:17 am

Terag smiled at first, glad the rumors turned out to be true. The smile continued when he raised his hands defensively to Clyde’s comment about ‘random people poking in their nose for no good reason.’ “I assure you, I am here for good enough reasons. Not just going to waste your time. Or at least, not during the day. Perhaps if you decide to head out for a drink.” He shrugged as he finished his sentence.

“Well that would be nice, I have not been inside a magecrafting lab since I left home.” Terag walks through the opening made by the man, taking a look at the room in full. By this point Clyde would be able to tell find the very remnants he was looking for. Terag used Reimancy, and earth at that if Clyde could tell. Also, perhaps if there was still marks left from a year or so ago when Terag worked magecrafting himself then Clyde would be able to see those as well. However, there would be no indication of either glyphing or auristics, both magics that Terag had yet to learn enough to use for anything.

“It is a nice please here, and it looks like you have everything ready to go to start receiving customers. Yes? What services do you offer, if there are any past just magecrafting items?” Terag spoke as he looked around a bit more, stopping to admire the man’s plans on the blackboard before turning back to him. “Also, would do you like me to start mentioning you to people over at The Ironworks? Might be good for business, we do not do anything with any sort of magic except the occasional izentoring of an item. If someone wants this kind of work, and is not one of the knights, I could send them this way? Might be good for you, yes?” He mentioned that last part in hopes to make himself seem a bit less that he could be asking for help, Isurians were a proud people and despite his desire for knowledge Terag was the same. Terag was secretly hoping the man might offer some sort of lessons or something similar for magecrafting, aurisits, or glyphing. The last two were skills he did not even know where to start, and the first was hard to do without any prior set up. If Clyde could do any of that, then Terag might finally be able to start practicing his long neglected skilled and finally reach some of his plans for the future.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

New Lab and New People

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 8th, 2015, 5:34 am

Clyde sighed to himself, though managed to keep his face more or less passive. He'd asked a question, and while the Isur had answered he'd done so without giving an answer. He still had no idea why he was here, or what he was here for.

At least, beyond the fact that he proclaimed to be here for a valid reason. He did not quite find that to be informative, though as he had a interest in the crafting skills of the Isur he did not send him away just yet.

Instead he did a simple meditation technique, one he'd long ago mastered. He took in a slow breath, held it for a few moments, and then let it out slowly. As he listened he focused on his steady breathing, and after a few moments he felt himself calming a small bit, felt the anger a bit less.

“I don't really imbibe. I do enjoy an occasional good meal though.”

As the Isur walked about, his senses whispered across the Isur's aura, small tendrils soaking in deeper and pulling out hidden knowledge. After a time he saw what he was looking for, the djed remnants. World magic didn't show so easily, as it dealt in the djed of other things. But personal magic dealt in altering ones own djed, focusing it, controlling it, and causing an effect. Clyde knew this, and knew that the transfer was not perfect. The use of the djed left traces, one that could be sensed.

As his senses canted to the proper fashion, he could see the glimmers of djed remnants, areas where there was more djed than the background aura with its even levels of energy. Signs of personal magic.

If he focused more he could likely trace the areas of passage more finely, to where the magic had taken place mainly. For Clyde this would be the areas where he exuded res, his mouth, hands, and feet, most commonly. For other magics common areas varied, and effects and density varied, though he did not doubt that his own aura was likely saturated with remnants of his own Reimancy usage.

“No, I just Magecraft here, though I'm also a Glypher. But this lab is meant for Magecrafting, it is my focus.”

“As for mentioning me at the Ironworks... Well, I doubt too many there would be able to afford Magecrafting, it is rather costly, but if it seems they have the funds required, and are interested, then yes send them my way. Though I'd appreciate if you didn't send anyone who wasn't a serious customer. As I said, I wouldn't want people coming here without reason. And a magic lab isn't a place for casual tours.”

Though he'd made the offer of sending business his way the Isur still hadn't explained why he was there. Clyde had a feeling he was here for something specific, but as the Isur didn't see fit to tell him he had no way of knowing.

“Perhaps when I have time I could look into having some items Izentor crafted. I know such's use for base items in Magecrafting. Why, my staff Cha here is one such item. She was Izentor crafted in her making.”

Clyde didn't mention that the one who'd made it had been a half isur, not a full blooded one. Still, he'd apparently been izentor marked, and so had been able to do so all the same.

“Did you have anything... Specific, you were coming here for?”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

New Lab and New People

Postby Terag on November 10th, 2015, 5:11 am

If Clyde continued to focus, a majority of the remnants of djed would be focused on Terag’s hands primarily with a much smaller amount throughout the rest of his body. Terag hadn’t tried to emit res through other parts of his body for the most part, he found using his hands helped him focus his mind on the task after all, and when working with earth reimancy it almost felt as if he was molding the stone as if it was soft clay. Even now Terag’s hands were fidgeting slightly as he often found it hard not to have his hands doing some sort of work.

“Oh right, of course you are a glypher. One of the few magics needed for magecrafting right? That and I think I remember my father mentioning that and something about auristics.” Terag didn’t put it together that he might be being observed through auristics as his knowledge only applied to how it worked with magecrafting.

When Clyde mentioned the staff, Cha, Terag’s focus changed for a long moment. For a long moment he stood there studying the staff, perhaps a bit longer than was polite. But he couldn’t help it, something that interesting that also was marked with Izentor must have meant that it was something of great importance. Especially if a magecrafter worked on it. Unfortunately, Terag couldn’t tell anything more about it other than it was pretty to look at and, as if Clyde’s comments didn’t make it obvious enough, it must contain magical power. Staffs were often used for that, Terag figured.

Terag’s attention snapped back to Clyde when the man asked him what he was here for. “Oh, right. I suppose I did not mention it. This may be a bit forward, but I figure I might as well ask. Do you offer lessons? Or an apprenticeship? I can pay for the teaching, I make a decent pay at The Ironworks and I already know the basics of magecrafting. I need a bit of work in glyphing and aurisitcs but I swear I am a fast learner when it comes to crafting.” He smiled a bit, trying to make a good impression. He knew little about the man, but if it was for knowledge that was little he wouldn’t do.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

New Lab and New People

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 5th, 2015, 8:41 pm

As the two of them spoke, Clyde slowly etched his awareness deeper into the layers of the Isur's aura, seeking more deeply and more finely for smaller things he could take notice of. Auristics was about both generalities and specifics. He could get a general picture, and then use that to give him an idea where to look more closely.

As he stared deeply in his aura sight his sense of sight and touch melded in his awareness, combining into one meta-sense that made more clear what Clyde saw than either alone could. He could feel the heat of the Isur's body, not true heat but magical density. Where the density and thus transfer of djed was more often done the traces were more dense. These spots seemed warmer in his awareness, with the hotter spots turning more and more orange or red in the warmest, with the other spots paling to a light pink or blue.

Most of his body was cold by comparison, a cool wash of dark pink and light blue melding and washing together, with the blue and colder sense being the more dominant. However as compared to the cool blue of his body, his hands shown a brighter hotter orange, with small bits of light red swimming about in them.

A hands focused magic tended to rule out some magics, but also make others more likely. But then, so many magics could be focused through the hands, or could take effect through the hands, that this told him little. He used Reimancy and morphing, both of which could be hands focused. Others he'd seen could include the flux, or perhaps projection. He'd need more info to ascertain what magic the Isur used, and it would likely be simpler to just ask.

Clyde paused for a moment as the Isur made mention of Auristics being useful for Magecrafting, but after a momentary pause he pressed onward, slowly wending his grip deeper into the folds of the Isur's aura.

However it was clear after a moment that the mention of that magic was only a passing comment, and his focus turned instead to Cha. He examined the staff critically, as only one craftsmen could do viewing the work of another.

In the end Clyde had to break his attention by questioning why he was here, something the Isur had still yet to answer. So far he'd skated around the subject. Clyde had a feeling from what had been said prior he might be angling for a Magecrafting lesson, but he wouldn't be the one to ask him if that was what he wanted.

He'd rather let him struggle and come to it on his own, and feel like he was asking Clyde for a favor or something to be given, not something he was offering and thus didn't value highly enough to not want to offer it openly.

Here many of Clyde skills melded subtly in his reasoning, logic, negotiation, interrogation, and perhaps others, all used to come to one conclusion.

When the Isur finally said it, asking for Clyde to teach him, asking for him to set the terms and in turn giving his own first offering, Clyde had to fight to keep himself from smiling. It was always nice when he managed to maneuver a conversation in the way he wanted, as the route taken to get there was often as important if not more so than the end state they reached.

Clyde shook his head and frowned, as if the Isur had asked some great honor or task of Clyde, something he did not perhaps enjoy considering doing. In truth Clyde wasn't overly averse to teaching the Isur in the world magic, not as if it was a personal magic, but he didn't want to give out a lesson for less than it was worth.

Clyde would start off telling the Isur why he wouldn't want to do it, in order to build up the expectation of what would be done or given in exchange.

“I do not normally give out lessons... And while you say you have knowledge of Magecrafting, well someone without proper knowledge could be as much a hindrance as a help. The last thing I would want to do is to risk damaging or spoiling an item while teaching you to do the magic... ”

“As for paying, well I don't really need money. I can get more from my work than the sums you might pay me in mizas. I mean the risk of ruining a project, that isn't something that comes cheap. I'd have to directly oversee all of your work, which means until you were properly trained it would be more work than if I simply did it by myself.”

“And you say you know a bit of Auristics and Glyphing, that you only need work on them, but what all do you know of them?”

“And what specifically of Magecrafting do you know? Do you know all of the tools? What each does? How they are set up and used? What items have you aided in Magecrafting? What of the theories and concepts of Magecrafting do you know. Before I can even consider instructing you, I will need to know all of that at least.”

Likely in the end, Clyde would attempt to have the Isur pay him in Izentor crafted items, but he'd leave that till he'd gathered more info.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

New Lab and New People

Postby Terag on December 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Terag frowned for a moment when Clyde mentioned that he didn’t normally give out lessons. Normally though was not always, so he still had a chance. Terag understood fully the worry that working with an apprentice or someone unpracticed in the craft could ruin the product, the same held true for many skills. And again the main was right, at the start it definitely involved much more effort than it took to just make items on your own. The payoff was down the road though, what the two could eventually make together either by volume or quality.

“Well that is all true, it is harder and can be a hindrance at first but I can make it worth the time.” Terag thought for a moment before continuing, “Once I know the skill much better I will be of use rather than a hindrance. Yes? I could also help with getting products from The Ironworks if need be, it is not uncommon for people to want swords or shields to be magecrafted, no?” Terag frowned for a moment, wondering if that was all he could really offer. That was, until he looked down and saw his left hand glinting softly in the light. There was at least one more thing he could do, something that would be much harder to come by so far from Sultros. “As an Isur, I can mark the items I make as well with Izentor – the mark of my god. It isn’t an immediate pay off, I know, but it will be much more useful down the line. I can make the sword before it is magecrafted and then I can mark it once it is finished. And I am skilled in making weapons, and I can make decent armor too. Anything out of metal really, if you ask it then I will find a way to make it.” Terag smiled a bit, hopeful. If nothing else that should be something unique that would be quite hard to come by through anyone else. He didn’t want to use what was given to him by his god so frivolously, but in the pursuit of knowledge and practice there

“As for my skills in these magics, I admit that I probably need a review of the basics for Auristics and Glyphing. Father would drone on about them, but at the time I was too young to listen or care.” Any secrecy that Terag might have held for his past life slowly fell away as he did his best to make himself seem like a good candidate for teaching. “I assure you though that I am a diligent student and learn quickly.”

He smiled a bit, at least with magecrafting he had slightly better news than he did for Aurisitcs and Glyphing. “I do believe I know most of the tools, or at least all the ones my father had shown me when I was younger. It would not hurt for a refresher on them but I should be good. Father never had me create a tool with him, though I do remember others from the Silver Tower mentioning he should but we did end up making some sort of garment. I think it was a cloak or something so it would tear less easily and actually be able to hold up to extended use, and I am sure there was something else but I do not remember for sure. Nothing fantastical but it is something, yes? I do understand there are different traits that one can put into items at least?” He frowned a bit, realizing how inexperienced he still sounded. He had practiced it long ago with his father, but he hadn’t gotten any chance to practice since moving to Syliras. Getting a set of tools had simply been too expensive.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

New Lab and New People

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 7th, 2015, 12:02 am

It was clear from the conversation that Terag was playing exactly into his hand. The man was not the best negotiator, and he was far to lib with giving out information. It was almost like he didn't even realize they were making a deal, Clyde thought to himself.

Or perhaps he simply didn't realize they were making a deal, and not simply discussing a topic. Often enough a good negotiator didn't make it clear he was dealing, so perhaps Clyde was simply succeeding at this.

At his first note though, about being of use down the road and admitting he would be a hindrance now, Clyde simply smiled and shook his head.

“No one gives a man a meal for a Miza tomorrow. As such I would be foolish to accept as payment a possible use only in the future. Assuming we even kept working together, or that you didn't leave the city, or something else didn't occur to make our working together if it did occur continue in the long term. I can't see what the future will bring, and I certainly can't know that you will in the end be of use as such.”

Clyde paused for a moment as he mentioned his Izentor, and offered to craft and infuse items for him with the gnosis. That was certainly something Clyde found of interest. Beyond Magecrafting it was a useful thing, but having the added durability given by Izentor crafting would be a great boon to his work.

“Only of metal? Can you not craft other things? There is more to Magecrafting than things of metal. Swords and shields are nice, but there are things of leather, of stone, of wood, of bone, of glass, all manner of materials. Some items I could use would be of metal, but many would be by need of other materials.”

Clyde shook his head and frowned as if in annoyance when he heard the Isur had only heard of Auristics and Glyphing, and didn't know how to use them.

“A bit of work... Don't start lying to me already Terag, I'll not have your evasiveness. Don't say you have skill in something if you've no more knowledge of it than hearing of it vaguely. That's like me saying I'm a master rider because I've seen a horse and watched someone canter about. Its not the same thing. If your uninitiated into Glyphing and Auristics then say so. Unless you've done them, then don't mention them as a skill.”

Clyde paused for a moment, letting his words sink in with their full weight before carrying on.

“So you don't know Auristics or Glyphing, but you've some knowledge of Magecrafting and have done an enchantment. Anything else? Any other magics or skills that might be of use?”

From his explanation of his knowledge of Magecrafting it was clear he knew almost nothing. Perhaps he knew the physical side of it, the tools, but he didn't know the theory or anything else. Less it seemed than the basics in some. He didn't even know about steps, about Magical Coefficients, types of steps, or other things. If Clyde was to teach him he'd practically have to start at the... Well start.

If he wasn't an Isur and didn't desire his crafting Clyde would have already tossed him out. However he did, and not wanting to show his hand or his interest in said crafting he couldn't openly admit the value he put on it.

Clyde would give Terag to answer his earlier questions, giving him time and letting him say what he would, before in the end he would finally sigh and give a small bit of a show of possible acceptance regardless of what he ended up saying.

“Fine, I will give you a chance to show your worth. But before I can trust that you have the needed skills along with an Isurian arm, I will need to see how you do in crafting and infusing various items. I can pay you for the materials, but it will be on your own time.”

“Four items should do to show the breadth of your capabilities. Four items izentor crafted, and of various materials. Four specific items.”

Clyde paused for a moment, thinking on what items he would try the isur with.

“Once you've completed and given me two of them, and if I find them sufficient, I will give you a lesson to cover the basics of Magecrafting, the knowledge you'll need before we work together.”

“Once I have the other two, and if I find all four sufficient, then I will allow you to do a work of Magecrafting with me.”

“They don't have to be in any specific order. First, a bowl. A decent sized bowl, something that won't easily break, and can hold a bit of liquid. Not too large though, easy enough to hold it while full with one hand without problems.”

“Second, a stone. Roughly the size of my fist at the largest, but small enough to fit in the palm of my hand without being burdensome or easily being dropped. It must be all of one material, all of one stone.”

“Third a staff, made of wood. It must be at least four feet long in its final prepared state.”

“And finally a dagger. One made of cold iron.”

“Prove your skill by bringing me those four items Izentor crafted, and I will consider taking you on as my apprentice in Magecrafting.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next