Closed The Beginning of the End (Fable)

Aislyn's introduction to the apocalypse

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

The Beginning of the End (Fable)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on December 28th, 2015, 9:16 pm

There was a certain emptiness to not be followed by the other illusions anymore. Then again, to be once again alone was Aislyn’s normal state of being, so in a way it was also comforting. Not to mention the fact that she was no longer illusioned, meaning alone was the only state of being she would allow herself to be in.

Through the door was something familiar, yet strange all the same.

Startled by the door flying closed behind her, Aislyn turned her back as she began to regret her decision to go through the door at all. The handle was gone, of course, and Aislyn’s fingers came away coated in smudges, as if she had touched one of her drawings. Turning to face the room, Aislyn took a moment to gather her bearings. It was certainly her home. Worn wooden cupboards that had lay untouched for the season. A window with a parchment drawing permanently hung. Accurate down to the last mark of ink on the doorframe, marking Aislyn’s growth as a child. Except for a few minor details.
Such as the walls being alive.

It took a few moments to sink in, but after the artist’s eye caught the gaze of a lumbering, burdened drawing of a fish, it became very apparent that the drawings were no longer confined to their pages. The parchment was merely a wallpaper now, and the charcoal sketches two-dimensional insects crawling up the walls. Some moved like ink dripped into water, silky and graceful. It appeared that such drawings were much more recent than the lumbering giants. Aislyn began to recognize them, remembering every stroke that went into the now apparently living sketches. It was unsettling to see such creations so independent.
Not as unsettling, though, as the much more obvious changes to the room. First, the fact that the old, time-worn bed that had previously been in poor condition was now eloquently carved and seemed much more inviting than before. It came as a sort of pointed finger to the fact that Aislyn could quite easily afford a much nicer bed for her mother, yet it had completely slipped her mind. Maria hadn’t complained, of course, but she didn’t complain much about anything anymore.

The second change was slightly more disturbing than living drawings or higher quality beds. The second change appeared to be a living, higher quality Aislyn.
The illusionist was surprisingly unsurprised to see her.

She had already seen four other Aislyns that day, what was another? This one was just another illusion. Just like everything else in her beloved city was. Her damned, beloved city.

The other Aislyn spoke with a demeanor the woman couldn’t attribute to Maya, Thief, or any illusion she’d ever used before. She wasn’t cautious in the way Maya was shy; she was elegant. She wasn’t bold in the way Thief was brash; she was confident. Her eyes weren’t dark with foreboding, black with mystery. They were bright, blood red.
Danger. Danger, danger.
Her smile was not false, but knowing. And the way she said that name. Her name. Or perhaps not. Aislyn Leavold.

Again, Aislyn cringed. Her first name was one thing, but last was another. There were few who knew the name Aislyn, fewer who knew Leavold. That meant that this had to be piloted by someone. Something. Illusions didn’t stare into your soul and find every piece that it had been broken into. There had been only two instances in her life in which an illusion had tailored itself to reflect Aislyn’s experiences. One, was in the House of Broken Mirrors, which had been left behind in circular-Alvadas. Two had been five chimes before, when her mind had been broken into five pieces that could walk, talk, and distrust her. It was flattering, in a way, but also very worrying. What being in Alvadas had the same power as a mirror?
For one, Ionu. Or a speaker. Or Almos.

At the thought that the horned man might fancy her, Aislyn dropped her eyes. It was certainly not something she had expected herself, of all people, to say. Handsome was not something you called someone who toyed with your mind, forcing decisions with unknown ends upon you. Handsome was not something you called a man that tried to force her to choose, every time. Sometime there wasn’t an A or a B to choose between. Colouring outside the lines was an Alvad’s specialty, after all.

Slowly, Aislyn moved over to where other-Aislyn motioned, cautiously accepting her proposal to sit on the bed. The second she sat down, however, the other-Aislyn got up, hunched over in a fit of coughs.
A deep red liquid the same colour as her eyes left other-Aislyn’s lips, splattering across the polished wooden floor. A mixture of shock, surprise, and horror spread quickly across the illusionist’s face before returning to an unnerved stare at the remaining smears of blood that circled her clone’s mouth. It was like looking into a mirror. A mirror image that was bleeding like some foretelling omen. What kind of ‘difficult year’ led someone to cough up blood?

Before she could ask, however, a question was asked of her. Why are you here? Followed by, of course, the name again. But that was telling. The second woman didn’t know. And the fact that she was asking anything at all led to the conclusion that she wasn’t the same kind of illusion as the others. She wasn’t built off Aislyn’s knowledge. She was different.
She might not be Aislyn at all.
Perhaps everything but her was an illusion. Maybe Aislyn had stumbled into some blank room, with some blank woman with a past to tell within it. Perhaps everything was tailored to her purely because of the blankness of the room. If she was anyone else, the strange woman would appear as ‘anyone else’. She just appeared as Aislyn, in Aislyn’s house, because Aislyn was Aislyn.

The illusionist shuffled a few inches towards the opposite end of the bed to the woman. It made sense. Too much sense. Her headache was making a comeback.

”I… I truthfully don’t know.” Was this some sort of test? If the woman wasn’t Aislyn, who was she? Ionu was always a possibility, in Alvadas, but Ionu didn’t spit up blood and tell of a difficult year. But if it was a test from Ionu, it was a test Aislyn had to pass.

”I stepped through the door, in the center of the city, as many others have. But I stepped out somewhere different. I suppose I expected you to know.”
She shifted, so she didn’t have to meet her reflection’s eye.
Do you know?”

Then there was the mention of others. That was a bit harder. Aislyn had stepped through quite a few doors that day. She had stepped through the first one, where supposedly Phobius was supposed to be waiting. But other-Aislyn had said others. More than one.
”The… Illusion door?” The one that had led her there? ”I chose to go with- to find-”
It had seemed like they had been in some sort of danger. The silent screams of the illusions in the door had been unnerving, to say the least. And they certainly said danger. She had thought choosing the door would save them. But there were no illusions to save on other side of the door.
Then who was she saving?

”I chose the illusions. I suppose they could have been waiting for me… But they weren’t. You were.”
Going through the door with herself on it should have led her to a room with another Aislyn in it. But it hadn’t. The door with the illusions had led her to herself.
”Does that make you an illusion, as well?”
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Words: 647829
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
2016 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2016 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Fable on January 7th, 2016, 2:59 am

The other Aislyn laughed, her teeth stark white against the blood that still lingered around the edges of her gums. "Of course I know where you are, I was just curious why you are." Her humor faded some as her twin continued, eyes taking on a slightly darker glint as her face settled into a loose smile. "Does it?" She leaned back on the bed, her body twisted enough that she could regard Aislyn while still allowing her legs to face mostly towards the door, a small grunt escaping her lips as she adjusted the pillow behind her to better support her weight. Once that was done, she raised a brow, red eyes fixed on those far darker. "And did you choose?" She made a vague gesture behind her, towards where Almos stood, his body no longer captive to the sketches, fully fleshed and eyes clear and harsh all at the same time. "Or did he?"

With a bow, the man stepped fully into the room, gaze flitting over the more glamorous copy to settle on that of the other, his bushy brows brooding, but whether he looked upon her with tenderness or disgust, it was difficult to tell with the shifting light of his eyes. "Am I not a tongue? Should I not speak where you listen?" Though his stare was fixed upon Aislyn, the words were clearly intended for the other, who replied with an acrid sneer, turning to display her disdain as she responded.

"You are what you are and nothing more or less, Almos." With a huff, she stood up off of the bed, her bare foot slapping the bloodied ground without a second though as she took a few steps forward before turning to face her twin and the naked man who moved to stand beside the bed upon which she still sat. "You brought her here. Why?" There was no accusation in her words; instead they were laden with curiosity and intrigue. "Surely it wasn't for me to idly chat with myself?"

"I did not bring, I only followed." His own voice seemed to flit between frustration and apathy. "She is here because she is here, no other reason, nor should there be." He turned to Aislyn, brow raised, "You say you chose, but perhaps you were not chosen?" Both man and woman regarded her, curiosity pervading the room as they waited for her reply.
Fable
A yarn is spun from many strings.

Words: 267393
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on January 15th, 2016, 1:47 pm

”That's what I was wondering too.”
Aislyn had no idea why she had been pulled into this. All she had wanted to do was go through the door of doom and maybe find out where all the missing Alvads had went, not be pulled into an enigma within a labyrinth within a puzzle. Though, of course, that was an added bonus. If she truly thought about it, thought deep down about why she was still here, why she had yet to run, past the confusion and adrenaline and fear, she found herself almost excited. This was exactly what she enjoyed, what she craved. She wanted conflict, or adventure, or something. Something to make everything less normal.The feeling had always been there, one of the reasons why she’d never so much of thought of leaving Alvadas. Normalcy was practically her greatest fear. This was different.

However, different was not always good.

The other-Aislyn’s smile, in fact, gave her the distinct feeling of bad. Her teeth seemed sharper, as if chiseled to a point. A different smile, yes, but dangerous. Like a predator toying with its prey.
Attentive, now, Aislyn listened to what her mirror image had to say. She seemed to have an annoyingly knowing way of answering every question, where she didn't really answer anything at all. Her answers just brought to light more questions, which Aislyn knew would probably never be answered. As was the way of Alvadas.

As the woman gestured towards the image of the horned man, he slowly began pulling himself free, the charcoal ridges and details being left in the parchment as he stepped away from the intricately drawn image. Normally, such a feat would probably be of some surprise to an artist whose work usually stayed confined to a page, but nothing was really surprising Aislyn anymore. At least not here, not now.

Am I not a tongue? Should I not speak where you listen?

A tongue. There was something about that statement that was just… Off-putting. Familiar, almost.
A speaker.
That must have been it. He must have been a Speaker. Not one like any Aislyn had ever seen before, but the way he spoke, the way he appeared like the city obeyed him, a tongue, he had said. And his words after, directed towards her other self, listen.
Did that make her mirror image a listener?

Did that make her a listener?

The woman was almost certain that was not how listeners worked. But if a listener could look, talk, and imitate someone the way other-Aislyn imitated real-Aislyn, Alvadas was a lot less trustworthy than Lyn had begun to believe.
Not that it was ever too terribly trustworthy to begin with.
The lack of trustworthiness was evident in the way the two- other Aislyn and Almos- spoke. It didn’t appear they trusted each other, either. At very least it appeared that her other-self was in control, and that she had been around for a while. She also certainly didn’t seem to know that Aislyn had been coming, meaning that she wasn’t exactly omnipresent either. That was making her seem a lot less like an illusion and a lot more… Real.
But then who was she?

I did not bring, I only followed.

Aislyn was almost certain she had, indeed, been brought. She had not brought herself, at least not to… Wherever she had ended up. She had stepped through the door that no one truly wanted to step through, expecting to step back out at the same place everyone else had, where everyone else would. But she hadn't. Through some divine intervention, she had stepped out somewhere else.

You say you chose, but perhaps you were not chosen?

What had been on the other side of the other door? If this was behind the illusions, was was behind the true Aislyn? Had the illusions chosen her? She had made her decision herself, but why? She had chosen the illusions because of her fear of what she could lose. Her mark, her faces, her façade. She could lose what her life had begun to revolve around. She was chosen when she was marked, could she not be chosen now?
Did that mean her deity had a part in this, as well?

”Either you brought me here… Almos The man’s name felt strange on her tongue. She’d always known him as the horned man. He’d never had a title, until now. ”...or Ionu themself did.”
She had so, so many questions. How was her appearance reflected so perfectly? Had they met before? Why did other-Aislyn choose an appearance of someone else’s?
Why were they doing this?

For the moment, Aislyn just asked one.
”But did Ionu bring me to… Me? Or are you an illusion of Ionu, no more me than any other illusion on the street? Have you always been me, or have you been others as well? Have other people been presented with themselves, or have they been presented with… You-?”
The woman paused to catch her breath.
”Me-?”
It appeared her idea of ‘one question’ was a rather loose interpretation. Now she sounded just like them, speaking in every which way as if anyone was actually going to understand her.
”Have you always been… Aislyn?”
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaleidoscope on June 20th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Speech.

Again, the copy (or was it the reality?) smirked, a smile laden with genuine amusement. Her laugh, frank and mirthful, resounded in the room causing some of the drawings to move in response. "A pertinent question!" Almos twitched imperceptibly, and started to walk across the room, tiny, exacting paces that stirred small eddie in the still air of the room, conjuring fresh scents to Aislyn- the visceral, iron-smell of blood, the burnt earth of charcoal, and something else, something indistinguishable, sweet, bitter that clung to the tongue.

He spoke first, his voice quiet and deceptively lulling. "No-one and everything brought you to what you are, and whether you are I or her or no-one..." With a start, Almos brought his head up from his reverie, as the copy-Aislyn broke through the one-way conversation with a clear, bell-like voice. "Perhaps Aislyn and I are one and the same, Almos."

The simple statement affected the man, he stilled, and rounded on the copy. "Others are as flickering and fleeting as shadows or sketches or a breath. You have all three of those things, do you not? You and I and her are others, strangers, and familiar too. If someone has been presented with themselves, does that not surely mean they are looking to themselves?" The horned man looked between the two women as perched on the windowsill, dreamlike patterns of lilac and plum pirouetting behind him.

He relaxed his gaze, yet he seemed angry in some way, not visible but under the surface. As the other-Aislyn spoke his muscles released, and the tension folded like kite strings. "Aislyn, are you like yourself? Or are you, more?" With a sudden, graceful movement, not unlike a predator she leaned forwards. Grasping Ailsyn's hand in hers and pressed her index finger firmly to the centre of her palm, she left a smudged fingerprint of blood there, then retreated backwards again, a curious smile playing on her uncanny features.

"There, now one is different and one is the same. Can you tell whether you are I or I am you now?" If Aislyn was expecting a clear answer to her unclear questions, she wasn't to get them. The two seemed eager to hear what she uttered though, Amos subtly arching forwards and the other woman sitting once more, both in relaxed yet taut positions.
Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Office
Scrapbook

The Beginning of the End (Kaleidoscope)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on August 4th, 2016, 2:28 pm

The laughing was confusing. Alvadas was full of laughter, full of smiles portraying every emotion. A laugh could never prove happiness, nor anger, nor deceit. It couldn’t even prove that someone was actually laughing, or if someone was there at all. All it could prove was that one could hear a laugh, and the laugh was coming from somewhere.

Observing the situation, Aislyn took notes of every small movement that was made. She had a habit of forgetting to pay attention, even outside of her youth, and it would most certainly hurt her in such a situation as this. The fluctuating comfort of Almos, almost like he was just the slightest bit afraid. The way she was looked at like an art display, something for consumption and appreciation, if she were lucky. The way that there was no clear answer to who these people were, only possibilities. Plenty of possibilities. Was Almos the speaker, or the listener? Who was the ears, and who the tongue? Were neither either? Which was the illusion, which the reality? Was other-Aislyn a protector, a participator, or a creator of illusions? Where was Ionu?
Who was Ionu?

Turning her attention back to the current question at hand, Aislyn tried to figure out how similar her doppelganger really was. The differences were the important part. Her appearance was almost the same, apart from the distinctly more exaggerated Zith features. And her voice- her voice was so different, even if everything else was the same. The same sound, of course, but a different… Feeling. Like her appearance had been; a wall, given new paint. In the end it was still the same wall, still the same cracks, still the same rise and fall, but it looked- felt- different. It was different. It had to be. Yet they were supposed to be the same- the same person, the same being, the same mind. One and the same.
The same, the same, the same, the same…
There was something very daunting about being the same.
Nothing in Alvadas was ever the same. Aislyn had never met another Aislyn, never another Maya, and certainly never another Nise- or Hayal- or Illisha- or Thief. She had never been faced with an illusion that was more than just her. More than just a reflection. This “Aislyn” was not Aislyn Leavold, nor Aislyn Leavold’s reflection. But she was still… Aislyn.
Yet so much more.

Aislyn, are you like yourself? Or are you more?

Every time that name was spoken it felt like a jarring punch. Aislyn, Aislyn, Aislyn. No one had called her Aislyn in so long, it almost didn’t feel like her name anymore. Not her name, not her body, not her mind. Perhaps she was the reflection. Perhaps other-Aislyn was the real one. Where did the illusions stop?
Caught in her thoughts, the sudden sensation of touch startled her, an unwanted motion that took a hardened thought to prevent reflex from attempting to rip her hand away from the grasp. Everything. Everything was gone. All her secrets, all her illusions, all her walls and barriers. It was like being covered in mud; after it reached a point, there was no use trying to avoid the puddles anymore. You just gave up, accepted the wetness, the filth, the destruction. Everything was already on the table, the mindset switched from preservation to simple survival. Wash off the mud later, for now, it was time to get out of the rain.

There was a cold, wet feeling pressed to her palm, inciting feelings of panic as if she couldn’t already see what other-Aislyn was doing. A red mark, played across the inside of her hand. For a few ticks, she just stared at it, both hands brought to be side by side as she half-heartedly accepted what was happening. On her left, a jagged line, a scar from the past. On her right, the blood, a scar from the present.
One could only imagine what scars the future would bring.

”If someone looks in a mirror…” Crossing one hand over the other, the illusionist felt her nails bite into skin, her knuckles a stark white. Consciously, she forced herself to release the pressure. She would not let herself be overwhelmed. She would play this game. Play their game. And she would win. ”They see their reflection. They see themselves. Sometimes, the reflection isn’t quite them, isn’t quite correct.” Feeling the age-old pull on her hand, Aislyn relented, allowing the fingers of her unstained hand to reveal the locket beneath her shirt and begin to open and close the latch, a soft click annunciating it. With the familiar comfort, she stopped herself from pulling over, attempting to be smaller than she was. Confidence was not her forte, but if there was one thing Aislyn was good at it was pretending to be something she was not. To hide herself was an instinctual reaction, but one not necessary at the moment. Get out of the rain.

”But the reflection is never more than what it reflects. It can’t be.” She looked up, her eyes momentarily meeting the eyes of her other. ”It’s just a reflection.”

"You were already different. I want to know why."
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaleidoscope on August 15th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Speech.

Satisfaction. A sense of completeness. And eyes that positively glowed with... something. Something similar to savagery, or pleasure, or pride. "I, my dear, am indeed far, far different to you. You are the step to my dance." The woman stepped forward, confident and proud, grabbing Almos' hand and pulling him up with a devilish grin. And she waltzed, carefree, teasing, whirling Almos at a breakneck speed, almost blurring with speed in the proximity of the room.

"I'm different because I will always be more than you, but you will always be different than me because you are something that I'm not." As she danced, she spun around Aislyn with feet dancing so lightly, so delicately that she almost seemed to float. Floating though with a punctuated, rhythmic quality. "We're like this dance, simple yet not." And with that, the woman slung her arm around Aislyn's waist and spun her ferociously into the dance.

They whirled over and over, seemingly blending through furniture like it wasn't there, spinning and twirling until the world outside of their bubble dissolved into faint blurry shapes and colours. But Almos and the imitation were perfectly clear. Soon enough, all three of them were linked, holding hands whether any of them wanted it or not, turning in the incessant dance. Suddenly Almos spoke with a voice like dreams, "You're more than this reflection, but you need your reflections."

And with a violent burst of silent colour, because they danced without music, Aislyn's various illusions returned, their forms indistinct and wavering as they weaved in and out between the dancers. Although they were obviously her many faces, the hair, the height, the vague form of the eyes, the illusions were like a mirage on the street, or faces behind old glass. The other-Aislyn leaned in sinuously to whisper in her ear, her voice clandestine and fervent, "Embrace your reflections Aislyn, and forever question them, and me, and us, and all."

The room was now like a whirlwind, the dance turned from graceful to the repetitive motions of a circle, endless and changeless. Yet there was a change, the drawings on the wall, the many, many faces of Aislyn and the three pivotal, arguably most real people in the room all revolved around each other, Almos and the two Aislyns in the centre, and everything else orbiting. In the standstill of the dance, the pretend-Aislyn smiled genuinely and Almos did too. In front of her now, they joined hands and bowed, a thank you for her participation, and an acceptance of silent applause that never came.

Almos spoke first. "If you go seeking answers, you will undoubtedly find what you look for."
The imitation looked to him, "But if you seek dis-answers, then you will find something else."
He grinned, and picked a drawing of a mirror off the wall, seemingly at random, "The reflection of yourself is never the whole", he hesitated and leaned towards the imitation conspiratorially, "But sometimes it is more."
"And we... we are something more than this."

The imitation embraced Almos. When she stepped away, Almos stepped with her, two people inhabiting the same space in an eye-bending illusion. The now horned imitation cocked her head, and took Aislyn's hand again, gazing at her palm. The bloody fingerprint still remained, smudged into obscurity now. With more care than Aislyn might realise was possible from such a larger than life character, the horned woman- man? - carefully traced the thinnest part of her nail over the print. Looking down, Aislyn would see a simple, inverted triangle of blood-red painted onto her palm.

A noise to pull her attention up. Almos clapped, and dropped something into Aislyn's hands. It was a mirror, the very same mirror that had, ticks before, been a drawing. Whether it was a drawing that the woman had ever done herself was another matter, but the mirror in question was quite beautiful, in a simple way. And yet, before she'd have any time to analyse it, the imitation Almos-Aislyn grabbed a stick of charcoal. Drawing in a rough sketch over her drawings and sketches and bells and bells of work, they drew a gateway, a simple arch with a door handle. In silence, Aislyn-Almos stood expectantly, veiled with mysticism. The door was hers.

OOC :
The last post is yours, and after that I'll give the details of the mirror. Thanks for being so patient with me, and giving me the opportunity to finish off this story with you! :)
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Office
Scrapbook

The Beginning of the End (Kaleidoscope)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on August 21st, 2016, 5:43 pm

The eyes were windows to the soul.
A phrase overused, oversaid, and much resembling a beaten dead horse. But a phrase, and one that held the potential to be true. And, in the rare case it was true, that spoke measures about the soul of this other-Aislyn. She was so different. Proud where Aislyn was furtive. Happy where Aislyn chose sorrow. What did other-Aislyn think of her? What came to mind when she gazed at her the way she did?
More importantly, why did Aislyn care?

You are the step to my dance.

Aislyn had danced, once, and it hadn’t ended well. Dance was too boisterous, too calling of attention. What dance did an illusion perform? The step in a dance, quite an important part. But the best dancers danced like they didn’t touch the floor, like steps didn’t matter at all; just pieces in a much bigger whole.

As if in response to her earlier question, Aislyn watched intently as the illusions- or the people she’d come to believe were illusions- whirled about in front of her. It was a spectacle she almost couldn’t comprehend, the kind of image that stuck in your mind only after it had passed. A joyful Aislyn. A proud Aislyn. An assured, assertive, poised Aislyn. She spoke smoothly, without pause even as she moved at impossible speeds.

I will always be more than you.

In a different situation, such words would have enticed backlash. Aislyn would not allow herself to be less than others, yet her pride was overcome by a feeling she could only describe as being smothered.

A feeling of being overwhelmed, of feeling too much yet nothing all at once. To think of it the way she had before, she was so preoccupied with getting out of the rain that even freezing in the mud didn’t seem all that bad. A feeling that was only intensified when the other-Aislyn pulled her into the dance.
She was moving. She was spinning. The bed was gone, the room was gone, all that was there was the feeling of pressure in her head. Dizzy. Heavy.
Yet she was as light as air.

You are more than this reflection, but you need your reflections.

Her illusions. Her reflections. To look into a mirror and see much more than what was reflected back. To put one light through a prism, and see many colours come out. The light was still the same, but the perception was not. A colour for every face, a face for every colour.
Speaking of colours, there were quite a lot of them around her at the moment. A swirling, dizzying, wonderful, horrible, amazing tornado of colour. From the colours came people, the drawings of Aislyn’s hands breathing life into the drawings of her mind, shimmering mirages that didn’t quite look real; couldn’t quite be real. In fact, everything around her didn’t seem quite real. But it was, and it had to be.
Nothing else in her life had ever been realer.

Slowly, it became apparent that something had changed. There was no stop in the motion- in fact, everything seemed to be moving faster than ever before- but the pressure in her head and her hands was let go. Surreal was the only the beginning of the tale, there was so much more to be said about the situation at hand.

Embrace your reflections.

In front of her; partners in dance, the illusions that had to be real. Regally they bowed, and Aislyn had no reply but to stand bewildered as she contemplated the events that had transpired before her. A horned man and a reflection, connected by one commonality- an illusionist and an artist and every shade of colour in between.

If you go seeking answers, you will undoubtedly find what you look for.

In a moment, Aislyn realized her earlier question had been answered. What dance did an illusion perform?

But if you seek dis-answers, then you will find something else.

An illusion performed a dance no eye could follow, no mind could comprehend. A dance of stories, a dance of songs, and a dance of many, many colours.

The reflection of yourself is never the whole.

There was no way to understand the words, yet in a perplexing way, Aislyn did. A kind of understanding that didn’t really make sense, if she were honest. A misunderstanding.
What a wonderful word.

But sometimes it is more.

Mirrors had always been such a fascinating subject, from the House where the reflections never stayed the same to the locket in which the reflections of not just her but others were stored. And now a living reflection of herself, complete with hardships and confidence and stories and life stood before her, speaking synchronously with the man that had puzzled her for months.

And we… we are something more than this.

We. Such a strong word. An overused, oversaid, wonderful word. We was not just Aislyn, but Maya and Thief as well. We was a thousand more faces, born of changing times and changing needs. Some whose time had passed, and some who had yet to be seen. We was Aislyn, and We was…

Well, the illusionist didn’t know who we was anymore.

The two illusions- the two people- became one, staring back with one set of eyes, one mind. We was them, and they were now one. And they now touched Aislyn’s hand with such care, despite which she instantly felt the need to recoil from, yet did not. In a way, it was almost like she couldn’t. She was an observer, watching someone else’s hand, someone else’s body, watching as the bloodied mark became a bloodied shape, one painfully familiar in Aislyn’s life.

When they stood back, the illusionist found her tongue wrapped around one word, yet its sound couldn’t seem to escape her mouth. An inverted triangle.

Ionu.

And then the mark was obscured, a small, handheld mirror in its place. Much reminiscent of the mirrors Aislyn used to perfect her illusions, the addled woman found herself staring not at the reflection, but the metal that rimmed it. It was beautiful. And it was hers.

”Thank you.”

Following the movement of them, Aislyn found herself staring at a door, and catching the eye of the people- the person- that had led her on such a journey. That was that, then. It was her turn to leave. Yet another door, but this time, no choice.

That simplified matters.

The doorknob turned with ease, as if it had been expecting such a movement to occur, and prepared itself for that moment. Aislyn found herself unable to look back, instead only looking forward, only really seeing what she had just seen. There was nothing else to think about, really. Nothing else mattered. And yet there was so much to think about, she almost couldn’t think at all.
As soon as the door shut behind her, the woman found herself sinking to the ground, her back resting against the place from where she had came. And as her gaze lifted upwards, her whole mind sighing from the overwhelming experience it had just been forced to comprehend, she found herself laughing. A soft laugh, one that only grew as her mind grasped for her illusionism once more, bringing Maya back to life. Between breaths, she would fade in and out of reality, until Aislyn brought her head back against the wall she leaned upon, closing her eyes as hard as she could. Her legs were brought up to her chest, her hands following suit as they were wrapped around the mirror in her palm. She hadn’t laughed this much as long as she could remember. And even more peculiarly, she couldn’t quite explain why.

It was over.
Yet it was only the beginning.

OOCThank you for a wonderful end to a wonderful story! I loved every bit of it :)
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaleidoscope on September 29th, 2016, 11:29 am

Aislyn
Skills
  • Logic: +3
  • Tactics: +1
  • Investigation: +3
  • Leadership: +1
  • Prayer: +1
  • Rhetoric: +4
  • Dance: +1
Lores
  • Maya as prison, not protection
  • Alvadas Event: The Apocalypse Door of Winter 515
  • Aislyn: Cares for Phobius
  • Warrior, Child, Maya, Thief… Actualised?
  • Illusions: Somewhat Living Masks to Hide ‘Aislyn’
  • Leadership: Making Decisions in Difficult (Not to mention confusing) Situations
  • Do All Illusions Feel Emotions?
  • Aislyn’s Abode: A Room Like No Other
  • Investigation: Asking Internal Questions to Solve a Situation
  • The Four Living Illusions: As Clueless as Aislyn
  • Previously a Thief, But No More
  • Illusionism: Attempting Invisibility
  • Invisibility: Contains Invisible Difficulties
  • Warrior Woman: Something Familiar…
  • Prayers to Ionu
  • The Four Living Illusions: Words of Wisdom
  • Illusions Over Self, Whoever That Is
  • The Horned Man: Named Almos
  • Other-Aislyn: Confident, Knowledgable
  • Greatest Fear: Normalcy
  • Almos: Speaker?
  • Other-Aislyn: Listener?
  • Does It Matter What’s Real Or Not?
Rewards
Second mark of Illusionism
Aislyn now has an outline of a small, blood-red inverted triangle on the palm of her right hand. The triangle outline is thin, as if it's been drawn with an ink pen. It stands out slightly on the skin, so when you rub your finger over it you can feel the mark.

With this new mark, things will change when you cast illusions. Please see the wiki for more general information on the way the mark works.

In regards to your flickers: Aislyn will still experience those flickers for a time, roughly a season or two since receiving the mark. However, as she uses the mark and gets more practised at it, she will slowly start to lose the flickers. However, in some situations, especially where Aislyn loses focus due to injury, she may still experience flickers.

The Drawn Mirror
Aislyn is given a hand mirror by Almos. On first glance, this mirror looks quite beautiful. The frame is made of silver, with three, small moonstones set in it. One at the bottom of the mirror (just above the handle), and the other two opposite each other on the frame. The back of the mirror however is plain, including the back of the handle. Here, the metal lacks lustre, and doesn't even look like metal. In fact, it looks more like solid paper, or stone.

The front of the handle is carved simply into a series of waterfalls, with a few clear glass beads set in it. The glass is of a decent quality, but here is where calling it a mirror becomes a farce. The glass inside of the mirror does not reflect. Instead, it simply looks as if the glass has been placed on top of a sheet of dull, non-reflective metal, very similar in colour to the back of the mirror.

Despite it's beauty, the mirror seems useless.

Comments
Well, oh my goodness! Although I wish I'd written more for you at the end, this has been a cracker of a thread to read, grade, and have a small part of. You've carried Aislyn well through this, and my many congratulations for receiving your second mark of Illusionism! Use it well.

Comments: Any questions, as usual pop me a PM.

Enjoy your grade, and please don't forget to delete/edit out your grade request, and keep your ledger up to date! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Office