Closed [The Bronze Wood]Feeding Time[Theo Popcampio]

Clyde and Theo meet amongst the Bronze Woods, but are not alone

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Wood]Feeding Time[Theo Popcampio]

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 27th, 2015, 2:41 am

5 Winter 515

Clyde had risen early with the intention of leaving the city. He'd stopped by the bazaar, and gotten some food for him to eat on his overnight trip. He didn't want to have to depend completely on whatever he might find, considering his past luck with hunting.

He only got things that would keep well, and that wouldn't need an over large amount of preparation. However he had gone a bit loose with his purchases, perhaps not buying the most practical travel foods and instead buying what he thought might be interesting or tasty. But as it was only an overnight trip he'd likely not starve even if all of it was poorly chosen.

He stopped by one booth and bought an ounce of cherries for 5 sm, an ounce of elderberries for another 1 sm, and at another bought a pint of honey for another 1 sm. Then he went to another stand and got some meat, buying a pound of smoked beef for 4 gm. All together he'd spent 4 gm and 7 sm on his food, most of which had been spent on the meat.

Once he had everything he needed he packed it up neatly in his backpack, got the rest of his camping gear(and a few other tools like a hammer, a mortar, and some basic writing implements), and headed out of Syliras into the bronze woods.

It was a bit of a walk, but Clyde had Cha in hand and quickly enough pushed himself through the woods. With it being early winter the leaves had fallen, and most of the foliage was not too thick. However as it was still early winter it hadn't begun to snow yet, and wasn't too cold.

He did his best to keep himself oriented to the city, trying to stay aware of both the land and where everything was. He knew vaguely if he went in one direction he'd be heading back to the city and civilization. He kept this in mind till he was a fair enough distance from the city, far enough that it was unlikely someone would easily stumble upon him or a patrol would go through.

Once he found a nice clear spot Clyde began to unpack his things, and prepare for the night. First was to set up his tent, a simple affair with a triangle shaped side at each end. One end had a flap which could be fastened in place, which helped keep in the heat.

He spent he next bell or so setting up his tent, which involved it collapsing a few times and him getting the tarp covering caught in odd bits a few times. Finally he got it ready, setting up the wooden frame that was the skeleton of the tent. Two stick like things went at each end, and hooked together with a bit of metal. Then he did likewise for the other end. Finally a connecting stick went overhead and connected the two inverted V shapes together.

Then it was simple enough to slide the frame into the tarp, or the tarp over the frame, which worked as the ground and two sloping walls of the tent, along with the front and back. Once he had the tarp correctly prepared he pinned back the opening on a small catch, so that it would stay open while he put things inside.

If it did rain or snow he wanted his things to stay dry, so he quickly stowed his pack and his gear within. He laid out a bedroll, covered it with his winter blanket, and after retrieving it from his bag placed a fur hat on his head for additional warmth.

Turning about Clyde nodded to himself, happy with his initial preparations and his finely made if somewhat cramped tent.

“Now, to start a fire!”

With that Clyde began to mull about near the campsite, gathering firewood and dry leaves, along with twigs and small bits of vegetation to use as kindling. He could easily start a fire with his Reimancy, but Clyde wanted to live properly off the land, and so he wanted to start it properly with flint and steel. It would be at least another bell before he finished gathering wood and settled down to start the fire.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 30th, 2015, 3:14 am

The Bronze Wood had become something like a sacred temple for young Theo in these days. He often spent time in deep contemplation as he walked the trade routes, every split off the broken path harbored a different fate. Theo followed the way laid before him, for now, but the adventure off the beaten path seemed so near. Soon he would be a knight, and he’d have a much more intense freedom than these infrequent ventures to the woods.

It was turning out to be an irregular Winter, leaves were still clinging to the trees at the turn of the season, a first for Theo’s eyes. In fact, he hadn’t even worn any heavy clothing because he found the slight chill enjoyable. Underneath him was a chestnut Colorsplash on loan from the stables: The least Theo could do on his ventures outside the walls, Lester, his patron, had explained, was work on his horsemanship. Lester had made it a point recently to rag on Theo’s lack of riding ability; it was obvious to Theo, however, that Lester was being dramatic with the coming Winter.

Theo let the horse get to a happy trot, and let the beast cruise as he bumped along with the horse’s strides. Jingling chainmail hung from his torso, over it hung the plate of the Syliran Knights, carved into which was the hardy Windoak. There really wasn’t as much to it as Theo had initially imagined, plate was hardly anything compared to the average travelers pack in weight. Theo shared a chuckle with the horse over the complaints of his fellow squires.

If it wasn’t for the familiar noises, Theo would have never have noticed the work of Clyde. But Theo knew all too well the sounds of foraging for sticks: The rufflage of flora as one searched foliage for proper branches, the disgruntled steps between crouches, the slow rises that served as reminders of a kicking back, the prolonged silences as one awaited his mind's judgment of a branch.

Theo didn’t know the stranger, but he knew a fellow of the woods when he saw one. Theo was curious of the man. He had lived on the road himself once, and sometimes he fantasized about getting back to the life again. This was at least the most likely reason Theo dismounted his stallion, and gave a long look at the stranger. Theo couldn’t tell from the distance whether or not the man had noticed him, but his curiosity and wanting for the road didn’t allow him to pay any mind to his own in that moment.

“Hey, stranger!” Theo, grabbing a dry, thick branch at his feet. “I think you’d do well with this.” Theo approached his companion, to eager to even notice the man before him. “I used to spend a day or two out in the sticks, what brings you out here on your lonesome? I’ve only known a few folks that come out here to camp, and they’re all curious.” Theo laughed, hoping that humor would ease any discomfort the man had, he knew men in the woods tended to be the quiet sort.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 2nd, 2016, 1:58 pm

Clyde had just finished gathering wood, and was beginning to set it up in the proper structure for a long burning fire, when he heard a noise from amongst the woods.

He quickly grabbed up Cha in a firm grip from where she'd been lying by his side, and faced the noise. It was the sound of metal on metal, but not grinding like a sword on another sword... More like jingling metal coins hitting each other as someone walked with them in there pocket. He was glad he'd detected the noise before it got to close, and had been paying enough attention to allow him to react before it arrived.

Metal sounds didn't generally mean trouble, but it did more than likely mean human. And not all humans in the woods didn't mean trouble. There were knights and hunters yes, woodsmen and herbalists, but also bandits and other such people.

He'd no sooner picked up Cha than the stranger greeted him. More likely than not, not a bandit, Clyde thought to himself. Bandits generally didn't announce themselves.

Clyde took a moment to consider his answer, and to consider what the man had asked, letting the blue wood of Cha rest comfortingly in his hand.

“The woods, in and of themselves are a reason to come to the woods.”

“It shall be deep winter soon, and then snow will come, and then camping won't be nearly so easy. I wanted to come out and enjoy what little bit of the wilds and outdoors I could before such times came.”

Now aware that the stranger was a knight, if nothing else by his armor and how it was emblazoned, Clyde went back to preparing the fire.

He moved sticks about, forming a small skeletal structure of larger sticks propping each other up, before adding smaller bits and kindling below. After that he slowly selected more sticks, adding them here and there.

However he was careful in so doing to not cut off airflow, since he knew better than most the importance of air for fires.Too much and it would blow up, but even worse not enough and it wouldn't burn and grow properly.

“And what brings one of the knighthood out here?”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on January 7th, 2016, 11:16 pm

The man was alarmed by Theo’s announcement, this much he had made obvious, but he seemed to quickly dismiss Theo as a potential threat. Perhaps this stranger had developed a kinder understanding of the general knight than Theo had himself, or maybe Theo had just warmed him enough to get him to lower his guard. Theo’s subconscious dismissed such speculation quickly.

He had prepared a staff in hand and was halfway to a battle ready position when Theo could more closely observe him. It was odd to see a commoner using a staff as his weapon of choice, more often than not a sharp edge was enough guarantee for a man on the hunt. It was so odd that Theo stared in wonder, trying to see if the blue wood held anything more. Theo had heard of monks taming a staff, making it an effective armament. With the ability to strike from both sides the weapon could neutralize multiple foes in a hurry if they were skilled. This man, however, did not strike Theo as some monk on a pilgrimage, and so this choice of weapon drew some curiosity from the squire.

Maybe Theo would have focused in on the staff solely if the man’s words weren’t curious in themselves. “The woods, in and of themselves are a reason to come to the woods,” he said, getting back to his fire. The phrase spoke of a deep appreciation for nature, a view Theo found sympathetic. He wanted to enjoy the time he had left in the Winter before the harsh weather rolled in, the fair haired stranger said. It was a weird notion to hear, as Theo had expressed similar thoughts to his mentor before heading out to the woods himself.

“... What brings one of the knighthood out here?” The question seemed to chime in with Theo’s attention.”

“Why, I seem to get that question a lot. Since you’re out here I’ll be straight with you, if only ‘cause you like the woodland as much as I.” Theo fed Clyde’s hands the firewood he’d been carrying, “Fit it in right---yeah, you got it. Not all of us boys in steel play politics in our free time, you know? ‘A good soul is more precious than a big name’, that’s what I tell ‘em.” The squire recanted sage advice as he watched the man tepee his sticks together. He had made fires in his time, but lacked any expertise; it was a nice reminder of the proper form.

Clyde had the branches in a pile, and Theo fed him another as he soaked in the calmness of the forest. “Speaking of names, mine’s Theo, Theo Popcampio. Who might you be, friend?”
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 8th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Clyde had to forcibly keep from letting a derisive snort from echoing forth from his body.

Knights, politics, steel, good souls, names, and then Names. For a moment he wondered if he was being deliberately tested, or perhaps if the knight jested? But no, Clyde realized after a moment, the more likely truth was that he actually believed his words.

“I assume from the way you say such, that though you often say it those you tell don't listen.”

Perhaps the man was simply looking for a ear to air his grievances? Often enough people enjoyed complaining, if they could find someone to air their complaints to.

“Often enough, in my experience, people don't want to hear the truth of things when it is thrust in their face. They'd rather continue on in a web of their own assumptions and truths, regardless of what reality is.”

Clyde registered the name, Theo Popcampio, though it didn't sound familiar. Of course there being as many knights in Syliras as there were, not to mention other vaguely affiliated groups, it was small wonder Clyde didn't know them all.

“And my name is Clyde. Clyde Sullins.”

Taking off his pack, Clyde began to dig through it, till in the end he pulled out some flint and steel. Bringing it in close to the fire, down under and near the kindling, Clyde struck the flint with the steel. Sparks flew, and Clyde tried to angle them towards the kindling. A few spots smoked and sparked in turn, but the kindling didn't catch so easily.

“So, what position do you hold within the knights? What is it you do? Anything interesting or of use?”

Clyde struck the flint several more times, each time making sparks, but none of them managed to start the fire. Clyde wasn't the best woodsmen by far, and he was having some issues in starting a campfire. He could have started it with Reimancy of course, but he wasn't willing to resort to it quite yet.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on January 11th, 2016, 3:35 am

“I assume from the way you say such, that though you often say it those you tell don't listen.” His words had a hint of disdain in them, and they were spoken well for common-folk, a little too well-spoken. Theo would have pleaded contrarily, for he knew in his own mind the fault of Clyde’s assertion, but the stranger choose to go on, and Theo was all the happier to hear him speak his mind.

“Often enough, in my experience, people don't want to hear the truth of things when it is thrust in their face. They'd rather continue on in a web of their own assumptions and truths, regardless of what reality is.” There was truth in those words, Theo knew, but he was struggling not to show his discernment now. This new acquaintance, this stranger, was stoic and cynical. Theo might have outright detested the man’s company had he himself not been of the compassionate variety. Rather, Theo was beginning to enjoy the man’s frankness, although he could already tell they would disagree much on the specifics of things.

“So, what position do you hold within the knights? What is it you do? Anything interesting or of use?”

“People think what they wish, Clyde, you have that right.” Theo said, “The truth is often hard to find, so I do not blame them.” There was a pause where Theo fiddled with the sword in his scabbard. “Enough philosophy, you want to hear of me?” Theo smirked, “Perhaps it’s best I show ya’.”

Theo held open his hand, which had a hole ripped open in the leather of his gauntlets. Rez slowly began to accumulate in the open air above the hand, forming into a neat ball. Theo continued to stream rez into the ball until it was a significant enough size to hold a flame for a few moments. Then Theo flicked the rez ball into the fire that Clyde had been struggling to induce, and sparked it aflame.

“Scary, neat, whatever suits you; I can do that plus I know my way around a haunting, albeit the ghost would have to be a wimp if I was really gonna handle it. That’s why the knighthood keeps me. Still have no rank, mind you.”

“So, Clyde,” he said Clyde’s name with a drag, attempting to be humorous, “What makes you interesting, curious as you are?" Theo looked at Clyde with a coy, alluring smile. "That staff that you hurried to as I strolled up, that dry, stoic way of speaking, the directness of your questioning, it is all very curious in itself. I find it odd that you even would bother with what troubles me when you seem to have so much going on yourself.”

Theo laughed. “What you give is what you get, friend. You know I’m a knight, or want to be one, rather, what’re you?”
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 11th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Clyde wasn't quite sure what the squire meant when he said he would show Clyde what he could do. It wasn't until he felt the contact of djed upon the air, a sensation that ran down Cha like a shiver, that he knew what he'd meant.

Magic.

More by instinct Clyde reached out within his aura sight, sending a tendril of awareness and concentration out of Cha and at Theo at the same time as the res began to gather and exude from the mage squires hand.

Clyde kept a stoic demeanor, as if seeing magical gas float out of a person meant nothing to him. Mentally though he was rigid, his aura sight honing in and cutting deeper into the mage squire, while also keeping a focus on his magic.

However judging by the speed of the res exuding, and the quantity exuded in such a time frame, he judged the mage wasn't a threat nor very skilled. If he wanted to, even if he launched the res in an attack on him, then Clyde was confident he could stop it and keep himself protected.

After all, for Clyde res could be exuded in an instant, at a thought, and redirecting or even stopping such a meager attack in its tracks was beyond simple for him, and not a threat therefore in Clyde's mind.

He mentally un-tensed when the magic attack flared into fire, and then swooped down at the wood and set the kindling within aflame.

Physically however he kept an unconcerned and uninterested demeanor, as if Theo had done nothing odder than scratch his own nose. He didn't even physically look straight at Theo except when speaking, nor did he stare, though within his aura sight he could see every twitch of the body and motion of his hands.

He noted the other things he said, such as that he was a spiritist. Though from his description it seemed he was no better in dealing with ghosts than he was in using Reimancy.

“I wouldn't really define it as either one of those, scary or neat. I mean... Whats that class of spell... To big for petty, perhaps, so... Eh, minor, yes minor at most but not even at the limit of that classification.”

Clyde of course was speaking of a Reimancy spell size classification of his own invention, one that he'd invented as he'd wrote his book on Reimancy. Theo wouldn't know this though, and as his classification system wasn't widespread in use it likely would seem meaningless almost.

“No offense, but you'll need to do better than that to impress me. I've spent time on Sahova, and they've got mages of all types that'd put campfire starting to shame. Would you say that spell was as large as a marble, or bigger?”

Clyde continued playing with the campfire as he spoke, adding branches and bits of wood strategically. He didn't want the fire to die out now that it was started, and he needed to get some medium sized sticks to catch and start burning well for it to keep going.

“As for what I do... I'm a maker of sorts. I make things, fulfill there potential and expand upon it. I also work for the knights, though I'm not of the knighthood myself. More of an independent contractor. I make things of use to the knighthood, with some skills that are rather rare to find.”

Digging through his pack, Clyde searched for a moment before taking out two items. One was a grey stone in the shape of a cube more or less, though with rounded edges and no points on the corners. It was roughly the size of Clyde's fist, and completely covered in symbols and markings cut into the stone itself.

The second item was an engraving kit.

Setting the cube aside and by itself on a bare patch of ground, Clyde waved at it quickly, and then turned back to the fire.

“As you said, perhaps its better if I show you. Use your magic on this cube, and you'll see. But no cheating, no using flames from the fire or anything like that. Do you just deal in fire, or any other elements? Ah, no matter, magic at it, and you'll see some of my meaning of my making. Then, if you please, find me a stone, a small one, and perhaps I'll make it a bit more clear.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on January 13th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Theo did not have to be skilled in auristics to read Clyde as dismissive of his fire, which led to the obvious conclusions about Clyde himself. At the very least he was acquainted with mages, and probably had some magical talent himself. Needless to say, Theo found his lack of surprise surprising.

And then Sullins began speaking with a certain smugness that Theo knew all too well. Mages from all around felt as though they had a knowledge others didn’t possess. He called the spell minor, as it was, but Clyde also seemed foreign in his notion; he seemed to be talking of the spells in a categorical way. Theo was unfamiliar with any classifications for reimancy spells, he had always been taught that a mage’s power was more like a sliding scale than a breach of a threshold. What were these terms Clyde loosely threw around?

He spoke of Sahovan mages. Theo didn’t know much of them, but he knew even their mentioning was worrisome. Sahova, the undead city, was ancient in origin. Theo knew that those between the living and dead pooled there like flies to a carcass. Any who had dealings with the undead were to be wary of. Clyde saying he had dealings with their foremost mages was worthy of suspicion.

It was, of course, no surprise that Clyde had found refuge and work within the walls of Syliras, they welcomed all sorts of abominations, why not their compatriots? That was Theo’s largest contention with the knighthood: Their very low threshold for personhood. To Theo sympathies for the undead, who were at least minor servants of Uldr, shelterer of cowards and the vile, displayed a very weak understanding of their true nature. What Clyde wanted on the island of the undead was now a point of curiosity. Still, Theo tried to maintain a humor and not display his cynicism, after all, he didn’t want to alarm Clyde.

Theo listened to his instructions, grateful Clyde’s curiosity in him ended in him as quickly as it began. “I’ll play your game,” Theo said, knowing that Clyde’s nature would probably make him despise that phrase. “...Wizard,” he insinuated.

Theo wasn’t sure if he wanted res brought on the rock, or merely just the flame. Instead of asking, Theo decided to chance it. The res was gathered slowly, and Theo could feel Clyde’s judging eye on him as he gathered it, it was of no importance to the squire. Theo lit the res on fire once it was a little bigger than a marble, as Clyde had suggested previously.

It was then, holding the lit flame, that Theo had a sudden questioning of his course of action. What was it that this man wanted? What was this cube? Theo looked at the res dwindling under the fire in his hand, and literally threw caution to the wind, striking the flame to the cube.

It was then Theo returned to his pony and reached into a satchel stitched into the saddle. He retrieved a pebble that pages left in the purse at times, probably for a slingshot. The pages sometimes played dirty, and the rock would have certainly ruined someone’s day had a young page gotten the chance to shoot it. Returning to Clyde, Theo handed the rock for his newfound acquaintance to use.

“So, let me see it then, friend. You have my curiosity.” Theo said, his eyes nearly drooling.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 14th, 2016, 2:04 am

Clyde noted Theo's frosty demeanor, along with how he next spoke to Clyde, after he'd mentioned being on Sahova. He hadn't expected the squire to be too familiar with the place, let alone to react as he did in such a negative fashion.

Sahova, Clyde knew, wasn't the best of places. However if one made it through the unpleasantness one could learn a lot and practice there skills to a greater degree than many places.

This was particularly useful for world mages, as often enough places either didn't like world mages, or didn't have a ready supply of the needed materials. Magecrafting for instance was something he'd been able to practice a great deal on Sahova, but which he had barely been able to use anywhere else.

He called Clyde a wizard more like he was accusing him of something, and while perhaps the squire was trying not to show his hand Clyde was skilled in many things related to ferreting out information in a conversation.

Every talk was an interrogation, and every answer was a piece to a puzzle of understanding the person in Clyde's mind.

Clyde was a teacher at heart, and it was clear to him that this squire was working on quite a bit of incorrect information, and needed to be taught correctly. Whether it'd be Clyde to teach him or not remained to be seen.

As Theo prepared more res, Clyde waited, giving him the time he needed to prep another spell. It took the squire much longer than it would have taken himself, but then he hadn't revealed half of his abilities and didn't see a reason to do so.

When Theo released the magical flames and tossed them at the cube they would arc around it without ever touching the stone or its glyphs.

The flames arced and flowed around the cube on either side, striking the bare ground and spitting out embers. However none of the magical essence of the flame even then touched the stone, instead moving the flames as if an invisible force pushed them away and around it.

It was like a island in the middle of a river, forcing the flow of water to go around it instead of through the space it occupied.

The stone cube was a work of Glyphing Clyde had done himself seasons past, and was glyphed on par with an Anti-magic effect, though not in the same sense as some. The item was more or less magic proof, and any magic that came at it would flow around and by it along the pathways engraved on its surface. This was distinct from other similar effects using a barrier, which forced the magic to stop or reflected it back the way it came.

To one knowledgeable of Glyphing it would clearly be the work of a master, something only possible to be accomplished when one had reached the peak of ones ability in Glyphwork. If the viewer knew well of Glyphing and how it worked.

When the flames dissipated and burned out on the dirt, the cube was left unmarred and untouched.

“I made that little thing back on Sahova. It might be an unpleasant place, it might not have good sleeping quarters, or food, or water, or anything else living people need, but it did have one thing. Knowledge. I learned in a short span there what would have taken years or decades on my own. You could spend a lifetime just searching its library, and still not read all of its books.”

“When I left I took all the knowledge I'd gained, along with many creations such as this cube.”

“Now I am of value, and can do make things even the knights desire.”

Clyde waited for a but, scratching his nose for a moment as he paused for effect.

“I even learned a thing or two about Reimancy while I was there, and met several who practiced it at a high level.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on January 15th, 2016, 10:12 pm

“Well isn’t that nifty?” The rock repelled the fire, and the embers danced as they broke off and hit the ground. This repelling magic was something new to Theo’s eyes, there was a brief flash of memory, a reminder of past knowledge, but Theo could not remember where or what this moment reminded him of. “Imagine you did that to some armor, you’d be indomitable!” Theo was shocked, perhaps he could learn something from Clyde.

Clyde must have detected Theo’s unease, he had never been good at hiding his feelings. There was great magical knowledge to be gained from Sahova, Clyde explained, and he made his trip there sound more like a quest for knowledge as he talked. Theo could respect that, Clyde had endured harshness for his love of learning, reminiscent of great spiritual teachers and philosophers. If Theo was to be honest with himself, he had not expected such empathy from this man.

“Perhaps I judged you a little hastily, Mister Sullins. I’m prone to such things,” Theo began. “Truthfully, I am ignorant of many things, Sahova is certainly one of them. I, however, have picked up tales in my travels and have read up on Nuits. I’m quite familiar with how they get their corpses here in Syliras, and while I can sympathize with their want for life, I find the idea of someone occupying another’s body inherently appalling as a traveler myself. Had I not been so lucky, I could easily be filled with that black ichor myself.”

Theo paused for a moment, “But enough of that, let me offer you an apology. I did not mean to get off on the wrong foot, you seem like a kind enough sort.” Theo picked up the cube and looked at it, trying to discern the glyphs and perhaps etch the symbols in his mind so he can understand the later.

“The Knights of Sylir are blessed to have one as talented as yourself among their entourage.” Theo said, giving the cube back to Clyde. “Perhaps you can show me a thing or two in the coming times.”

“That being said, why don’t you show me what you can do with that pebble. You certainly have my interest and I’ve talked enough as it is.” Theo looked at the fire, which was starting to bloom into a nice flame, far larger than the one he had supplied. “Ah,” he said, “Perhaps after we can put that fire to use and you can tell me more of yourself.”
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Next