Sleight of Hand

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Sleight of Hand

Postby Nephti on February 5th, 2016, 1:50 pm

12th Winter 515

Nephti trailed across open street, copper miza in her hand. She tossed it into the air, watching it gleam in the sunlight as it toppled back to the ground. Someone had dropped it, left among the dirt for the Eypharian to find. She pulled it through her fingers, just taking in the surroundings.

A boy smiled at her, pushing his hands in his pockets. She smiled back, waving with a pair of upper hands. Slowly, he made his way towards her, coy grin on his face. The girl tilted her head with an amused expression, pocketing the coin in the smae place where she kept the tarot cards.

He said something in a foreign tongue, deep guttural noises that came from Shiber. But he didn't look Benshira, otherwise Nephti wouldn't have been so welcoming. Prejudice still ran deep, distrust towards the desert nomads. This boy had dark eyes, almost black, but with hair white as the moon. He wasn't Benshira, just as much as she wouldn't.

Then he spoke in common, "Is that not the language of your people?" He gestured towards her many arms, hoping to appear cultured and knowledgeable. All it made her do was wriggle in disgust. For the mighty Eypharians and the simple Benshirans to be confused, it was almost a sin. She tried to hold this back, but the boy clearly saw her expression.

He frowned, before bringing his right hand round from behind his back. Clutched in his fingers was the pack Sayana had gifted to her, she could tell by the image on the back. His face was twisted into an apologetic smile as her hand darted forward, ready to take it back. He caught her at the wrist, eyes telling her that she should have been more patient. Nephti rolled her eyes, extending another set of hands and grabbing both his wrists.

Stuck in the tangle of arms, she took her cards back, still holding him tight. He grinned once she finally let him go, but the girl stared at him with displeasure. "Thief! Leave! First insult, then steal! Thief!"

He put his hands up innocently, keeping an eye on her multitude. "The words were only a misdirection. My attempt at mimicked the desert people - I'm certain they made no sense. But surely a girl with cards knows of the principle of distraction." With her puzzled expression, he elaborated, hands moving as he spoke. "Misdirection, perhaps you know it by a different name. You get the audience to focus on one thing," he brought attention to his left hand, spinning a coin in it, "Then you work with another hand."

His other hand moved across the coin, taking it with an enclosed fist. But when he opened his fist, it was gone. Nephti frowned, tracing across his body to the other hand, which had first held the coin. He quickly pulled it into his side, but she noticed the lingering stare on her pocket. "Only returning what was once yours," he smiled with a bow.

Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Sleight of Hand

Postby Nephti on February 5th, 2016, 3:12 pm

"But surely as a girl with cards you know of misdirection?" he laughed, "I cannot believe you were easily fooled." There he was again, calling her a girl with cards. What did he mean? He had spoken of a... she hadn't understood the words, repeating it almost randomly before asking what he meant.

"Audience? A crowd, people, who watch you. When you do your tricks."

"Tricks?" What tricks? Nephti's cards were not for tricks, but to tell the future.

"Yeah, the three card trick, where you find the Queen or whatever this pack has, but you actually swap the queen for another card," he flipped the deck over, shuffling through the detailed images of the Five of Pentacles, the Six of Swords, the Hermit, the Lovers, the Fool. When did he even get her cards. Her hand moved to her pocket but she had already realised that he had managed to take them again. "What sort of cards are these?" he held up the Fool, a boy with bag over one shoulder and dog at his heel, "What suit is this? A desert pack, I assume?"

Nephti shook her head, confused at what he spoke of. Swapping the Queen? Trick? "This is tarot, fortune telling. I see future," she snatched his hand, taking her cards quickly and this time keeping them in her palm, "Although they told me never of thief." Her words were accusing, but she meant them to be. He tried to act innocent again, but couldn't quench her displeasure.

"How about you read them for me, and I'll teach you the three card trick. It can earn you a lot of coin." He flipped the copper miza that he had taken again, passing it to her as she tried not the slap him.

"Deal," she agreed, watching him carefully. Slowly, she extended the pack again, "Shuffle cards. Don't steal." He grinned, doing as she asked, before handing the cards back. "Thank you," she nodded, pulling forth the first card with a dramatic movement. She kept it face down as she watched him, "Concentrate on your question."

Then she flipped it over. The Ten of Cups. His face tried to stay expressionless, but he was clearly amused at how seriously she was taking this. The card showed a happily family, the parents looking away into the distance and children dancing around them. "Your past hold a good life. Family, parents, even brother or sister," she saw the twitch in his eye of recognition, "Happy, strong, together." But why would the cards show this? If the past was the same as the present, what point was there for it to be mentioned, "But no longer."

She had guessed right, the boy nodding slowly with a solemn expression, no longer as doubtful of the cards. "What next?" he asked eagerly, but she shook her head.

"You show me something now, then more."

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Sleight of Hand

Postby Nephti on February 5th, 2016, 3:52 pm

"Okay, give me the cards." Nephti didn't trust him, pulling the older pack out from where it was hidden in her robes, held to her heart. He looked at them with a raised eyebrow, nodding almost respectfully, "Perhaps that could be a little trick of its own, if these cards weren't so bent and old."

He took the Fool and Magician, placing them on the ground beside each other as he crouched behind them. Nephti took his place this time, watching with an amused expression as he found the Empress.

All three cards place in front of him, he placed the others to the side, calling forth the people walking past with a joyful expression, "Try your luck! Test your skill! Win a coin or three, a whole gold miza for you!" Nephti looked at him confused.

"You're willing to bet away gold mizas?"

"Don't have any," he mouthed, "But don't need them!" Soon enough, they had a crowd congregated around them, with a brutish man stepping forward to address the boy.

"How much?" he snorted, sitting cross legged before him and throwing a handful of coins in his direction. The boy nodded, turning each over in his hand.

"If you win, you'll get double back. If you don't, I keep it all," he stated, before motioning towards the cards. "Pick the beautiful woman, and you get your money. Not too hard, right?" He gathered the cards, holding the Empress in one hand with the Fool and the Magician in the other. Then he placed each card down, tossing with expert skill. His movements were quick and gliding, shifting cards left and right as they swapped places. Nephti could see the man struggling to keep up with the movements, but when the boy finally stopped, he seemed confident, stubby finger pointed at the same card she would have gone with.

The boy seemed oddly confident as he smiled, reaching slowly to build tension. He flipped it over suddenly, the Fool staring back. "Your loss," he grinned as he tucked the money into a pocket, revealing the Empress as the card next to it, "Who’s next?"

The man threw another handful of coins down, determined to beat the game. The boy simply smiled and nodded, holding up the cards like before. Nephti watched his finger slip, bending the corner of the Empress slightly, before he threw the cards down, the Empress landed last in the middle with corner bent. It was clear the man noticed it too, smiling smugly. Nephti wanted to tell the boy, but he ignored her as she tried to get his attention.

He shuffled them round a little, gathering them several times and dropping them back into the three. It didn't make much difference - the card was still bent in the corner, clear to see. "Which card?" he asked again, the man pointing it out quickly. The bend had almost gone with the shuffling, but was still there. The boy turned it over. The Magician. The man rose, incredibly confused, but silent.

"Anyone else want a go?"

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Sleight of Hand

Postby Nephti on February 5th, 2016, 6:21 pm

He did it twice more, but neither were lucky (or unlucky) enough to get a folded card. Neither won their games, leaving the boy with with plenty of loose change. He gathered the cards after that, perhaps deciding not to risk any more games, although Nephti was pretty certain that he couldn't lose - he must have set it up somehow.

The boy rose, grabbing her hand and pulling her quickly away from the crowd into a less busy street, where they sat to one side with their backs pressed against a low brick wall. "Let me show you how I did it," he smiled, taking two cards and holding them like he had before, both in one hand. "The whole point is misdirection. You think that I drop the card on the bottom first, like this," he demonstrated, showing her what she expected, "But in actual fact, I would drop the funny looking guy, not the one with the dog, first, then the woman."

"The Magician and the Empress," she stated, but the boy just shrugged it off.

"Watch," he demonstrated slowly, holding the bottom card with his thumb as he flicked the card on top. He repeated much faster, Nephti unable to tell which card he dropped anymore. "Here, you try," he handed them over, showing her how to hold them. She tried to throw the top card, but it caught on her fingers. The boy laughed, moving her fingers gently to the right position again. He kept his hand on hers, showing her how to flick it properly.

Eventually, she got it, able to throw the top card followed by the bottom, without looking too obvious. She continued practising with her lower hands as she tried to focus on what the boy was saying. "So basically, you do that to throw them off the scent. But the most important part is observation. You know where the woman is at all times. You put her there. You need to watch the mark to see if they're following the same card as you are. If they are, you do the false throw. If not, you don't need to worry."

A little like fortune telling. There was an aspect of watching the person whose fortune you were reading, both for little clues on their lives but also on hints of whether what you spoke registered. Nephti wasn't good at looking for either, but knew that she should.

"But you accidentally folded the corner of the Empress once too, how did that work?" she asked, curious. He smiled.

"Accident? Trust me, everything I did was done for a reason. I couldn't have done it normally - the man would have thrown a fuss. I had to make him certain that he would win, but not by letting him win!" he laughed again, "I crease the card, making it look accidental and making sure he sees. But when I'm throwing it, I un-crease it, folding the corner of another card. You want a go?"

This move was much easier, because in her hand she could easily smooth it out and fold the corner without being obvious. Besides, as the boy told her, misdirection was key. "Keep focus on other hand," he looked at her, "Or hands, distract with conversation, something, just in case. Now, the rest of the reading?"

Nephti smiled, letting him shuffle the cards. "Now, this arrangement really isn't fair. One little trick for you in return for three cards?" she smiled, taking the pack back.

"One? That was two, in case you can't count. But hey, I'll show you another after this card. Deal?"

"Deal," she smiled, taking off the next card. This one she didn't recognise. Men, women and children where rising from the ground towards a figure with a trumpet, the name detailed along the bottom. "Jud... Jud-"
"-Judgement. A decision, opinion, conclusion."
Judgement. With his little description, she began to remember. It was about making the right choices. But there was a greater part, about coming back to life. Being born again. Being called by a greater being, a god. Something about reaching a new stage in life. She wasn't too certain.

Nephti tried to imagine the scene, taking it literally first. This was a new stage of life. They had gone through some disaster that left them dead but now could come back new. Then she considered the boy. He had had family, but they were gone. Perhaps that was his awakening. After all, why else would the cards come together?

"You been through bad, but good. You came out new. Free from past. This life is new."

He nodded slowly, agreeing with what she spoke. Nephti wished she could say more, speak more, but the words were too hard to form. Instead, she waited expectantly for him to show her his next trick.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Sleight of Hand

Postby Nephti on February 5th, 2016, 9:39 pm

"Now, my next trick requires a volunteer," the boy grinned, shuffling the cards hard. He spread them out, face down, and gestured for Nephti to choose one. She picked one at random, taking a quick peek. The Seven of Pentacles. The boy cut the deck, extending one hand towards her. She placed the card on top, with the other half on top of that.

He then cut the deck several more times, making it all seem very random. She could tell from the glint of his eye that wasn't going to be, however. Finally, he started to build a pile of the cards, flipping each over to reveal the face. Slowly, he counted through them, Nephti moving in closer to look at each one in case she missed it.

But by the time he had reached the end of the pile, it hadn't turned up. The boy seemed to know this, trying to appear very confused. "Now where could that card have gone?" he thought out loud, coins in his pockets jingling as he pretended to check them. "Could you check your pockets, miss?"

Nephti put her hand, finding the card. She didn't know whether to find it surprising or not. "How?"

"A good magician never reveals his secrets!" the boy winked, tapping his nose knowingly. Then he took the card back, shuffling again. "But a pretty girl has been the downfall of many. At least I think. I only knew one, and he died of fever." He was so relaxed when he said this, Nephti was almost surprised. She had assumed his father must have taught him all this, and seeing the reaction he had had to her fortune telling, she thought he would show some sadness. It appeared that whoever had taught him hadn't meant that much.

"What I do is look at the bottom of the deck," he showed her the Eight of Wands, "So when I cut it, I can put it above whichever card you chose," he demonstrated. "I cut it, careful not to separate the cards, so when I lay them out, I know that your card is the one after the one I saw at the bottom of the deck."

"But my pocket...?" Nephti asked, still confused at how he had managed that.

"How many times do I have to say it today? Misdirection! I got you all concentrated on the cards, so much that you missed me slipping the actual card into my sleeve, then your pocket!" he grinned, "Keep your eyes open, and you'll see." He frowned, trying to remember what he had forgotten. "Ah, my fortune. Finish it, if you dare!"

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Sleight of Hand

Postby Nephti on February 5th, 2016, 10:05 pm

He knew what to do this time, shuffling the deck even before she asked. She pulled out the last and final card: The Fool. "You get the Fool," she smiled, remembering at how often it had come up today. He scrunched up his nose at her.

"Calling me a fool?" he teased, running his fingers through his hair. She shook her head, flicking her own hair as almost an instinctive reflex.

"Fool means begin. Like what said before. Judgement meant renewal. Fool means new too. You come out from bad, but I see Fool as... how do you say it... faith leap?" She pulled a quizzical look, looking at him for guidance.

"Leap of Faith," he said softly, fully entranced by it all. Nephti smiled, repeating it.

"You take Leap of Faith and fate guide. No care, happy." She thought about all it could mean. The Fool could be taken literally, but was about innocence and being free. About being reckless, in a sense, almost foolish, but in a good way.

"A choice come to you. Important. Either stay same, never change. Or jump. Into unknown, but follow heart. Follow heart, faith in fate, be happy."

He smiled, softly, wriggling up to her. "I'm happy now though, especially with you. Today was fun."

Nephti smiled, resting against him. She moved suddenly, shuffling the deck before extending it towards him. "Pick card. Any card." He grinned, selecting one as she peeked at the bottom, cutting the deck. The World. He placed it on top of the other pile, letting the World settle on top of whatever he had chosen.

She cut the deck several times, flipping cards from one hand to the other. The benefit of having six hands meant that even the most observant couldn't watch them all. Finally, she stopped, bringing the cards all back together. She flipped them over like he did, stopping when she reached the World. "I sense something," she mimed, grinning as she pretended to feel the card, "Is this your card?"

She closed her eyes, so didn't see the proud smile the boy had. He shouted yes. "Ionu would be proud of you."

"Ionu?"

"God of Illusions, we're in Alvadas, how do you not know Ionu?"

Nephti shrugged. She knew little of Alvadas, and had never wanted to learn more. It was the city she lived in as a slave. Not a home. At least, it hadn't been before. "Real magic is real magic," the boy continued, "But this, this is for everyone. The real magic, even if it is fake. They say the tricks are just illusions, formed from sleight of hand and misdirection. But then again, they say Alvadas is one big illusion, yet we both know that it's real. What's to say that this isn't real magic?"

She smiled at him, rising to leave. He joined her, staring back into her eyes. Their hands brushed, Nephti blushing as he took them. He took her middle hands, but she wasn't even thinking about that. He wasn't Eypharian, so he wouldn't know the traditions. But that wasn't it. All she was thinking about his dark eyes. About him.

"They say love's an illusion too. A trick of the mind that makes you do crazy things. But they also say it's magic," he said softly, leaning in, "Illusion is magic. Magic is illusion. Remember that. Remember misdirection."

He kissed her softly, Nephti's cheeks a rosy pink. Her hands wrapped around him, and for a second, the world was gone.

Then they stepped apart awkwardly. "I should go now," Nephti stuttered, looking down. He nodded, letting her step away. Then he pulled out coin, the copper coin from earlier.

"Misdirection," he grinned, flipping it in the air, and placing it in his pocket. "Hope you don't mind."

Nephti grinned back, showing her own prize. A silver miza, gained by his con with the cards. "I think I got it." He beamed at her, unable to believe it. "Well, bye," she finally said, stepping away.

A few steps away, he called out, "Wait! I never got your name."

"Nephti. You?"

He grinned. "Mr. Illusion. But you can call me I."

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Sleight of Hand

Postby Kaleidoscope on February 28th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Nephti
Skills
  • Fortune telling: +3
  • Gambling: +3
  • Observation: +3
  • Socialisation: +4
Lores
  • Card tricks: The three card trick
  • Card tricks: Find the card within the pack
  • Card tricks: Using misdirection
  • Ionu, God of Illusions
  • ‘Mr Illusion’: Boy with dark eyes

Comments: That was a wonderful little thread. The way Nephti interacts with 'Mr Illusion' was wonderful, and pretty cute! And I thought I would explain that the gambling is for the card tricks, as there is no specific skill in the list.

Enjoy your grade, and please don't forget to delete/edit out your grade request. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office