Quest The Hatching (Closed)

15th - A heavy warhorse with a dead Syliran Knight strapped to it gallops into town. It's covered with blood.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Vypec on March 10th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Vypec backed from the horse quickly when it became apparent that he was doing no good. He turned his attention to making the crowd move away, to a safe distance. "Get them back!" He barked at the other two Kuvay'Nas. He had been about to usher the red headed Drykas woman back too, but her song seemed to calm the animal a bit. Since it was the first real sign of deescalating the situation, Vypec was all too eager to let her continue. As he moved around, sometimes forcing people back with a quick shove, the crowd began to make some distance. Eventually the horse laid down, clearly exhausted.

Vypec sighed inwardly with relief. At least there would be no other deaths here. Vypec glanced at the form of the Eypharian slumped on the ground. He wasn't sure what state he was in. But both the gate guards had sprinted off down the street when the horse laid down. Vypec hoped they were going to the Lodge, or the stables for some help. He knew he could use some damn guidance right about now.

The Akalak approached over the Isur's shoulder, watching as she investigated the horse. She seemed calm, where most of the onlookers we're excited in one way or another. Vypec stared suspiciously. He didn't want her to steal or hide any evidence the Kuvay'Nas might need for an investigation. "What are you looking for?" He asked curiously, his eyes wandering over the wounded animal. "You heard her! If you have any medical capability, please come help!" Vypec reiterated her plea for aid.

The masses looked on at the few who remained close to the fallen knight. They were on edge. Death to a seasoned knight could spell trouble for all of them. What if whatever beast had ripped the knight apart was slinking its way towards the city as they stood there? What if it had followed him. Vypec glanced again down at the Isur woman. He hoped she knew what she was doing. Vypec stood as she went about her cursory examination and began assuring the crowd that the Kuvay'Nas would handle it, there was nothing to worry about!

He was the only Kuvay'Nas here, and it was a hell of a lot to handle. The Akalak found himself frequently glancing down the street, hoping for some backup. Hope don't float though, as they say. He would have to handle it as was expected from the warriors of Riverfall. Vypec turned back to the Isur to see what she had found. "How do you know that the horse was poisoned?" To Vypec, it looked like the array of grisly wounds seemed to be the beast's problem. But if there was some sort of poison involved, they would have to know how that worked to pursue the vile monster.

Vypec approached the body of the knight and pulled the white cloak away from the corpse. Bending down to inspect the wounds that caused the death, the Akalak ran his fingers lightly across the wide gashes that ripped deep into the human. He felt an uneasiness growing inside him. He was not well versed in such matters, but the spread of these claws seems to hint at size far greater than most predators in the Sea of Grass. As Vypec examined the body he found that the wounds were concentrated on the legs and shoulders. We're the things that attacked him trying to go for his neck? Or were they trying to disable the knight, to stop him from running? Either way the knight had shown great grit and resilience in surviving these wounds for so long. Vypec wasn't sure how long the knight had been riding, but he sure had bled copiously.

As he looked around he noticed Nayato, the squire he had sparred against in the winter. Had the Chaktawe known the man? Perhaps he could enlighten the Akalak as to what could have caused this. Vypec motioned him forward and gestured with his chin towards the dead knight. "You know this man?" He asked quietly, for Vypec hadn't personally known the knight, though he was a common acquaintance to many in the Kuvay'Nas. "He was attacked by something big, and something that knew where to hit him. Have you Sylirans experienced this type of assault before out there?" Vypec spoke in a hushed tone, so that only the few who were close to the fallen knight could hear.
User avatar
Vypec
Night Stalker
 
Posts: 122
Words: 156592
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2016, 6:49 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Kaie on March 11th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Image
The Myrian found herself consciously almost sorry for the horse. The poor proud, noble beast stomping and whirling with distrust over his fallen master was swarmed by nosy citizens. Blood dribbled down its front and colored the length of its powerful legs, one which sent a foolish approaching man back with a kick that had the corner of the Myrian's mouth twitching upwards. A fine war horse indeed. The familiar face of the sole Kuvay'Nas present worked to will the crowd backward with authoritative commands. Yet no sooner had a woman and her mare managed to begin to soothe the stressed animal with song and calming presence did the great beast fall. The savage could hear the finality of the thud and gasps of onlookers from where she stood. Amber eyes glanced about the city and in the direction of the gates, but neither a horde of warriors or a coven of monsters had made any entrance quite yet. A bystander like the others no more, Kaie set her jaw and advanced toward the circle of bodies.

Step by step the Myrian made headway toward the center. Her lithe frame slipped between the spaces of shoulders and gentle shoves with her bronze hands parted those that blocked her from her destination. Within a matter of ticks the young woman found herself nearly beside an actively helpful blonde woman and the familiar Kuvay'Nas guard. Closer now, the warrior could see the horse was not just bathed in the blood of its master but also in its own. Wordlessly, Kaie crouched beside the fresh cadaver while others' efforts seemed more directed toward the last of the pair that could be saved. Her lips pressed into a line when the blonde woman announced she had identified the presence of poison, and shook her head in response to further calls for a healer. The savage would be no help in preserving the life of the animal, but perhaps she could learn something from investigating the dead for her own knowledge.

With the white cloak pulled away from the corpse by the guard mere moments ago, the Myrian peered closely over the damage like an art critic over a finished canvas. Opting out of touching possibly poisoned flesh with her fingers, she delicately used the tip of her spear to lift tattered clothing and nudge away metal armor. Then she used her bladed boot to carefully roll the body onto its stomach. With the help of her spearhead she managed to cut away the leather straps and strings that secured the armor over the man's body, and parted the plates from his frame like removing a shell from a turtle. Without the armor to obscure her vision, she assessed the brutal injuries with nothing but personal experience. Nasty slices and gashes. Wounds to the legs, slices right through to his back. Running? Escaping? No knight this well outfitted ascends to his position through cowardice. He was either unprepared or outnumbered. Maybe both. Either way, whatever it was, it was enough to send him on the run...but did he slay whatever got him? Kaie glanced toward the others to find the blonde woman smartly ransacking saddlebags, presumably for loot or clues. The Kuvay'Nas had wandered to converse with another man looking on.


"These wounds are strange to me," the Myrian murmured aloud in Common as she leaned back on her heels to survey the butchery that laid before her. "If we can't be sure what killed him, we should find out where he rode so hard from. Perhaps there is where the answers are to be found." She looked toward the blonde woman as she searched before returning her gaze back to the gruesome sight of the knight. Could there be something I've missed? Something to be found I'm not seeing as important? The Myrian went back to searching the body again, this time for items and any sort of evidence that might hint to where the man might've been before he mounted his trusted steed. Even the soles of his shoes did not escape the determined gaze of the savage.
Image
Image



Image
User avatar
Kaie
Player
 
Posts: 1569
Words: 1635789
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Eosi on March 13th, 2016, 7:58 am

Image
There was a very abstract feeling of vertigo everytime Eosi used her sacred gift. To be seeing both above and below was the kind of experience that had no earthly equivalent. Her divine connection to the Sun brought a singular joy to her soul every time she called upon it. To be marked was more than a gift. It was symbolic of a relationship that transcended the mortal realm. To Eosi, it was more than any person had a right to ask for.

The only thing she could see out of place from the average comings and goings of Riverfall were the trails of blood congealing along the path, so much that she could only assume to belonged to both horse and rider. They led south, further than the limits of her sacred vision. From a few moments of sustained observation, whatever laid beyond the gates was quiet. The thing that had attacked him was nowhere to be found. Whatever it was, it hadn't given chase, meaning the city remained safe, at least in the most immediate sense which bought them some time.

She first withdrew from the power of the mark, leaving her feeling momentarily hollow. It was best to do her thinking with no outside distraction. First, she assessed quick that it was best to gather as much information as they could. Just what was directly south of Riverfall? Knowing where he'd come from would undoubtedly provided a clearer picture of what they were up against. Before they were to act, they'd need all of the information.

Eosi moved away from the gates and into the action, just in time to witness the horse as it struck Vai squarely in the chest. Her eyebrows raised, but she said nothing, though the drama of the scene as it continued to unfold provided a rush of quiet satisfaction that brought color to her cheeks.

There was a melody that emerged from amongst the crowd. Eosi couldn't place it for a moment, until the young woman came into view. The stallion finally began to respond. It became weaker and weaker, before it collapsed to the ground with a shudder and one final plea in its eyes.

"If it's still alive," she said, engaging with whoever stood nearest, "take this horse to Kavala. On a litter, if you have to. She'll know what needs to be done." Eosi knew that in that steady, practiced way of hers, Kavala Denusk had the capability to bring any living creature back from the precipice of death.

The Kuvay'nas guard that stood in the midst of it all prodded the Isur woman to dispense answers with characteristic impatience. It took some effort not to roll her eyes. So many of the Akalak she'd met seemed to share this universal inability to allow matters to unfold at their own pace. For this reason and many others, Eosi had always thought Wysar a very appropriate deity for their race.

"The road is clear a mile from the gates," she announced, beginning to take on some extent of the leadership in the situation. There needed to be some kind of direction provided to the assortment of people that'd now become involved. "For now, the city is safe. Someone inform the guards that there is a trail of blood leading directly south, as the bird flies. We need a person who can share more about wherever this Knight may have come from and who he is."

Her voice gentled slightly as she came closer to the Isur and now another woman who'd appeared out of the crowd.

"He rode from the south. Tell me all that you know and I will do the same," she asked politely, but with little preamble. "If you know this horse was poisoned, can you provide any further insight on what may have done it? We must know all we can before we act."
Image
User avatar
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.
 
Posts: 262
Words: 244475
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Location: Riverfall, City of Strength
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Amunet on March 13th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Image
The amount of organized chaos around her was immense, but the red head stayed fixed on the war horse. If she turned her head to pay attention to the akalak in moving people away from the scene, she probably crap a brick. Her experience with the warriors had not been pleasant as the image of the massive and huge Gorda came up briefly before dashing it down into the dungeon of her mind to lock it away and focus on the horse.

The horse slowly calmed down which gave her a moment to examine the horse. The stallion was not in much better shape than his rider. What in Mizahar did this? Not that she was any expert in the various ways a person can die from the Sea of Grass, but she had seen a small sampling that would weed their way into the River Flower. She advanced cautious and slow step as she continued to softly sing as the stallion calmed further. He buckled. She gasped.

Her heart thudded in her chest as she tried in her heart to lend her will to the stallion to rise. The stallion did rise as he gave her that look. Shetanae nickered at the mighty horse. The stallion went down for good. It was a surreal moment as there was someone close by that poison was involved and asked if she was a Healer. Half a heartbeat later the Akalak pushed the question. The Drykas had no idea what race the blond very stout built person was and at the moment she didn’t care. As that thudding heart became a rapid heartbeat. It was clear on her face the compassion she held.

No sooner than the words were barely finished from their mouth that her legs carried to the horses head and lifted the head up with those little arms. The head was a large heavy head. The arms wrapped around that head similar to how she hugs the head of her mare. Any color other than nice and light pinky flesh was a bad color. The greenish tint was a horrid ugly green. Her hand went on the muzzle and the other was wrapped around the head and the hand was on the cheek of the large head of the stallion. She closed her eyes and reached out to her goddess hard. ‘Dear Rak’keli. The grace that has been bestowed upon me, may it bring this creature to wholeness and strength.’ She pushed as hard as she could to the edge of the grace allotted to her and into the stallion. The glint of opalescence shimmering on her face from in and around the mane of red hair would shimmer as the breeze picked her hair up and played peek-a-boo with the mark.

She had a bit of understanding of the physiology of a horse. The barding had to come off to deal with the cut. It didn’t matter if it was horse or Drykas, a gash that deep had to be taken care of and her grace only went so far. Once her eyes were opened tears ran down the eyes as she looked up. Even as the other red head spoke of some Kavala that Amunet did not know was a person, place or thing at this point, she looked at those around her with pleading eyes. “Please, need clean water.” She said in Common as she signed to her mare to come forward. The lift of the stallion’s head felt good for some reason as she lifted it and ever so gently set it down. The way she placed the head was not dissimilar from how one would lay the head down of a child you had been carrying.

The mare came forward as she took her pseudo medical kit from her yvas bags. The mare was often with her when she took care of people and understood her rider’s needs. Her muzzle went down to the stallion’s neck to nicker again softly as if to try and wake him up or get him to respond. Amunet’s hand was on her cheek as she looked into her eyes for a tick or two before her attention went to the barding and was trying to loosen it. The girl had no experience with this kind of tack. How in Mizahar do they move with all this crap on their mount? Wouldn’t they move faster if they didn’t have all this stuff on? The reasoning escaped the woman.

She looked for the attachment points as she followed it to undo it. The girl did not care what was in the saddle bags as she looked at those surrounding her. “Please help. This off. “Her Common sometimes goes through long periods without being used as it took her a little while to remember how to use it. She motioned to the barding and tack. Once the chest is revealed she worked on the front gash. It seemed the most serious. “Come on big guy.” She would say to the stallion in Pavi.
User avatar
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!
 
Posts: 542
Words: 566026
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Gossamer on March 14th, 2016, 3:25 am

Ialary was able to reach the one saddlebag that was facing upright where the stallion was down. The horse was lying on the other one. It was easily unfastened and the flap flipped up revealing assorted gear the knight was carrying. The pack had rations neatly folded, spare clothing, and what appeared to be a writing kit. Down at its bottom was a thick leather book Ialari was able to pull free. It matched the one in her vision.

The cover was plain leather and the pages velum, but otherwise the book looked to be half full of writing, mostly notes taken about a ‘dig’ and observations on one of Mizahar’s most mysterious creatures. It was written in common. Other contents of that side of the bag included a medical kit, an armor repair kit, and a wilderness survival bundle that looked to have a compass and flint and steel in it.

Vypec meanwhile was able to get the crowd back, settled, until they were just a rough circle of onlookers around the fallen knight and his horse. Other warriors in the crowd stepped in to assist Vypec in the absence of the rest of his patrol. They had people standing back, being quiet, and carefully following his direction. Riverfall was not a city of useless people. Her citizens were warriors all and the men in the crowd looked wary but calm. Several groups broke off and started following the bloodtrail, clearing the street and looking for trouble. They seemed to be anticipating the knight and horse being followed and several were off to talk to the gate guards which resulted in the main gates being closed and just a foot traffic and easier to defend.

Vypec’s close inspection revealed the gashes across the knights chest had opened fleshwounds that while not exactly fatal in themselves were of note because they cut through his armor like the armor itself was butter. They ran from his right shoulder to his left hip indicating that whatever had attacked him was approximately his size and had three claws per ‘limb’ which opened the armor up in two different rows of three. It was nothing anyone in the crowd or in the group next to the corpse would have seen before in terms of wounds. The double sets of three were spaced wider than human fingers and were definitely indicative of claws.

It was obvious the man had bled out. Loosing blood killed just as fast. Had the armor not been there the knight likely would have been opened up clear to the bone. So the armor did protect him, a bit, but not in the way he might have expected it too.

As Vypec examined the wounds, another – a Myrian – came up and seemingly took over the examination. She would have had to shove the Kuvay’Nas out of the way since he too was looking at the wounds. She would see what he saw, though taking things further she turned the body over and relieved it of its armor so the dead knight lay on his stomach, wounds concealed, like a beached dead seal on the sand.

There were NO wounds on his back, legs, or anything else. The knight had gotten wounded facing his enemy when running hadn’t been good enough. Distraction, from Ialari’s vision, had let him escape though the Myrian WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN THAT since the vision wasn’t shared with the crowd.

Her words to the group and indeed to the crowd were heard and acknowledged. Some nodded, some looked worriedly towards the gate. As the Myrian started searching the body, there was nothing of note on it. He was dressed in armor, padding, and under linens. He was well armed though his sword was bloody in its sheath and two daggers were missing from his weapons belt. Empty sheaths indicated they normally rode his hip. His boots were muddy and his beard was bloody where he had bit his lip. Sweat dried on his scalp had secured his hair in weird angles under his helm.

Kaie’s search was interrupted by the horse bellowing. It shook hard, its lips turning greener, and it shuddered as its massive head dropped down on the ground. It was unable to hold itself up as it lay sprawled almost doglike with its hind legs tucked under it and its forelegs stretched forward. Its lips turned even greener as its eyes took on a dull expression. Its ears drooped. It was too large by far to carry or pack away unless a team of heavy draft horses were involved and then they could only drag its corpse, not carry it anywhere.

Someone said that out loud to Eosi as she called orders for a liter. Even as the horse lay in its final moments succumbing to the poison, people moved to try and help. It was not going to be enough.

The redhead Eosi’s words rang around the crowd, that the road was clear. Eosi moved closer to Ialari and the two exchanged words. Meanwhile, Amunet acted.

As much as she willed the stallion to rise, he did NOT. He stayed down with his head resting on the point of his muzzle. He was almost beyond caring as Amunet grasped his huge head – as big or bigger than her torso – and lifted it into her arms. She set it down again after her examination. The Rak’keli’s gift healed the horse’s bruises and small cuts and scrapes on his head. It was a small comfort. But it did little for the horrible greenish color and the poison that was circling his system.

The medical kit came to her hands quickly thanks to the intelligence of her mare. And as she examined the barding it was clear how it fastened on and off, the use of simple clips holding it to the saddle skirting and cantle and the pommel in the back. If Amunet wanted, she could easily unclip the leather protection the stallion wore that was also painted with the knight’s colorful insignia.

But it was truly too late. The horse gave a sigh, one that most people on Mizahar were familiar with, and expired there in the street, following loyally his trusted knight into the afterlife. One last shudder occurred and a trickle of urine and manure followed to reiterate that he was long gone from his body and galloping towards Lhex’s judgement to stand at his knights side.

The crowd sighed at the deaths. Some lingered but others moved on. Several men in the background – Akalaks – sent for help and to organize teams to figure out how to return the body to the Stronghold for the Knights so he wouldn’t be laying in the street long. Vpec’s commander Kazma arrived with the rest of his squad – at least in part – and took charge having been flagged down by those that had dispersed seeking help and more Kuvay’Nas.

“Vypec, report!” Kazma said surveying the scene. After he heard the Kuvay’Nas’ reply he’d look to the crowd and shake his head. “We can investigate this inside the city, but someone should go back and retrace his steps and get to the heart of why this happened and indeed what exactly happened. Vypec take volunteers and organize a search party to see what you can learn. We’ll deal with these bodies here. Report back after you’ve learned something. I suggest you take warriors.” He said, turning away and moving around to bark some orders out to a few of the other squad.

He hesitated for a moment then gestured at Ialari and Kaie. “Make sure no one loots his personal effects. Arrest anyone who attempts it. They need to be returned to the stronghold. You may borrow what you need for your external investigation though.” He said, his words a warning to the women who had both rifled a saddlebag and the man’s body itself.

He left the crowd and the group to start his part of the job – the cleanup.
Image
"There's a place that I go that nobody knows where the rivers flow.
And I call it home. And there's no more lies. And the darkness is light. And nobody cries. There's only butterflies."


BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsCyphrus Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 18438
Words: 4812324
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Cyphrus RS & Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
Thunderspork (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Ialari Pythone on March 14th, 2016, 5:07 am

Image
Ialari knew from the moment the horse fell that it was too late to do anything for it. As she knelt next to the poor creature, she used her off hand, the one baring the mark of Dira, to pet and attempt to sooth the dying beast as its journey with the Goddess was about to begin. She did not take her hand away from the horse as she whispered prayers to the Goddess to see that he as well as the dead knight would see each other in the next life. She knew that Dira had little control over that happening but that she could at least add a nudge in the right direction. Her other hand was used to explore the contents of the saddlebags. As she felt around, a nearby Akalak approached and inquired as to what she was looking for. Ialari held back a roll of her eyes and silently fought back the creeping feeling of annoyance. Patience, she thought to herself. To a Pitrius Isur like Ialari, knowledge was quite literally power. What she about the knight and what killed him was not something that she felt others were ready to hear in full. With the smoothness of a serpent’s scales, she responded without looking in Vypec’s direction, “Not long ago, I heard some local laborers talking of a new job. Supposedly a known knight in the area hired them for some sort of operation not far from here.” Ialari did not stop the search nor did she take her hand off the horse as she spoke. “The knight looks like he could be the one they spoke of and these saddlebags are loaded for an extended outing.” Ialari pulled forth the contents of the bags and placed them in a small pile at her feet, all save for the journal which she held. As she produced the items, she commented of them with her observations. Her accent was strong but her slow speaking and focus on speaking as proper as she knew how, would make it easier to understand.

First the medical kit. “A medical kit; not something one carries with them unless planning on being away from such a resource for a long time.” Then came the armor repair kit. “I don’t know much about knights, but I don’t think they would need a kit for repairing armor if, again, they weren’t planning on returning soon to wherever they were posted.” Then came the extra cloths and wilderness survival bundle. “This knight was planning on spending some time away from civilization.” Finally, she pulled forth the writing kit and the journal. “He appears to have been prepared to take notes on whatever he was doing, observing or whatever.” Flipping through the journal, she realized that it was indeed the one she saw in her vision. “This…this contains notes on some sort of dig and of study of some creature.”

In response to Vypec’s question about the poisoning, Ialari took a deep breath, pointed to what she saw as the obvious physical signs of the poison’s effects on the horse and said, “Look at the discoloration of the skin beneath the fur. You can trace the discolor to the veins that are now more pronounced. Following those veins will lead you to the wounds.” Her senses now enhanced in the presence of death, she could taste certain details as well. “I can smell and taste the poison in the air. The knight was likely poisoned also. His wounds were worse and the poison wouldn’t have had as much time to take hold.”

Ialari watched as the Akalak and the tan woman began examining the dead knight, Ialari skimmed through the journal a bit more. She looked for details such as gemstone, scales and anything regarding a creature of some sort. She wouldn’t spend too long looking as she knew how bad she was at getting too much into something at the expense of noticing other details around her. She noted the red-haired female’s attempts to sooth the horse and recognized the signs of more significant displays of healing; similar to those she had experienced first-hand from Kavala. Despite the girl’s attempts, Ialari felt the last thread of the horse’s life break as it released itself to Dira.

Another red-haired human approached and got rather close to Ialari. Ialari’s head snaked around to look at the woman in a way that said, you may want to step back. Ialari’s caution was increased when the woman offered a rather roughly worded deal for an exchange in information. Ialari had already shared much of the information she was going to when the Akalak had addressed her. How and why this woman thought Ialari had any more information was a mystery in itself and was one that put Ialari in something of a defensive state.

She did offer a little information in response however even though it wasn’t anything that wasn’t already out there to be noticed. “The knight and horse were killed by a not-overly large creature capable of poisoning. Seeing how it’s daytime, it wouldn’t be zith. Besides, even the more dangerous zith hunting parties aren’t desperate enough or skilled enough to take on an armored knight on horseback. I don’t know much about predators in the area, but most I’ve encountered would not attack a knight or a trained warhorse face to face. Whatever did this is extremely dangerous. I would suggest some attention be given to the place where the knight and his laborers were operating.” Something about the woman was beginning to bother Ialari even more. She commented about the road being clear for a mile and of the long blood trail. Such were details she shouldn’t know considering she was standing in the same place as Ialari. If this information was true, how the woman knew it was curious as was her reasoning for the lack of subtlety in sharing it.

Ialari thought to herself that, more and more, the strangers she met seemed so trusting and open even when they were trying to be secretive. Letting go of knowledge too soon was not in Ialari’s nature. It was something that she had a hard time understanding in others as well. Of course, perhaps that was part of the reason for being in Riverfall to begin with.

Akalak, a group appearing to be of some authority, spoke to the one that had questioned her moments earlier. They called him, Vypec and it appeared as though they were giving him some authority of his own in the situation. During the exchange between the blueskins, Ialari used a piece of cloth from the contents of the saddlebags to soak up some of the horse’s blood. Perhaps, given a little time, she could find a way to create an antitoxin to combat the poison. After the Akalak in charge tasked the one called Vypec to take a look outside the city and retrace the knight’s path, Ialari ignored his pointing gesture at her, stood with journal in hand and said to Vypec, “I’m no thief. I am however rather skilled at uncovering lost information. I think that whatever happened here could be a threat to others in and around the city. This journal is basically a collection of the knight’s notes and I’d like to offer my services in researching them and aiding in this mystery.”

Ialari knew she wouldn’t be able to proceed much further on her own. Obviously, Dira wished for her to get more involved with what happened but without a bit of muscle and blade, it didn’t look promising.
Image
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
User avatar
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.
 
Posts: 361
Words: 556187
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Vypec on March 14th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Vypec was spun away from the body, tumbling onto the cobblestones. A woman, vaguely familiar, had shoved him away from the knight's body. Vypec sprang to he feet and hissed cold fury. The gladius leapt into his hand almost with a mind of it's own. Vypec raised the blade at the woman's back as she bent to examine the knight. Vypec was struggling to keep Vypal from rushing to the surface and lunging at everyone within reach. "You damn mongrel! I'll dice you into bits-" His strained threat was cut short by his own name being shouted.

Vypec paused, the rage stirring restlessly within him. He turned to see Kazma, his squad leader, strolling down the road towards them flanked by the hulking form of Mirrix with his greatsword and the tattooed Cerulean Delric. They walked like predatory cats stalking through the tall grasses of the Sea of Grass, constantly evaluating threats and exuding an air of competence. The arrival of his squad leader and arguably two of the most dangerous members of his squad served to stem the flow of rage somewhat. Kazma, perhaps sensing the tension in the area, immediately demanded a report.

"Sir, this knight rode in, fell from his horse, and died. This Isur says the horse was poisoned." Vypec indicated Ialari briefly. "I can not confirm this, though. Perhaps..." Vypec glanced at Delric, who had some experience in such things. "Well, the knight and the horse seem to have been attacked by some sort of three clawed beast that cuts through armor like sealskin. Some of the citizens have helped." Vypec indicated Amunet, Eosi, and Ialari with a jerk of the head. "Tending to the horse and closing the gates. Others have been less than helpful." Vypec shot a glare at Kaie.

Kazma surveyed the scene with the characteristic stony gaze that he wore most of the time when the squad was in public. He took in the few arrayed around the horse and corpse, and those who had worked to close the gates.

"Sir, this Isur seems to think the knight's journal here can give us some answers about what attacked him." Vypec continued. He had been aware that a few of the onlookers had made deep insights into the situation that he could not trace to logic. The Akalak hadn't seen whatever it was that they saw. He glanced at Eosi, deciding not to report her claim about the path being clear. He had no evidence of this and didn't understand how she did.

Delric confirmed that the horse was poisoned. Kazma ordered Vypec to take a group of volunteers out into the wild to investigate the death of the knight. Vypec nodded his assent to the order. He watched the three senior members of the squad leave, hurrying to contain the rumors and the chaos this death would cause, assuredly. Vypec turned back to the crowd and found himself face to face with the Isur. She was the first to volunteer and Vypec was glad to have her. He nodded and turned instead to the rest of the surrounding onlookers.

"Okay, We need a few more volunteers to go track down whatever killed him." He pointed to the corpse of the knight with his gladius. "Keep in mind, that was a trained knight, and he's dead now. So this could be a one way journey. If that's something that bothers you don't bother coming." Vypec waited for the rest of his volunteers, thanking each to step forward. They did not need to, they were not Kuvay'Nas. And yet the people of Riverfall did what was needed in times of strife.

When his group was gathered he started towards the gates. "Ma'am -what is your name?-" He addressed Ialari. "Could you see what the knight wrote down in that journal that might shed some light on our task?" He turned to the few citizens who now stood sentinel at the closed gates. "Okay we're leaving now, with what we have on us." Vypec frowned at that. He was ill equipped to be traversing the Sea of Grass, wearing only his clothes and his sheathed Lakan coupled with the gladius he now carried.

Vypec turned to the nearest of those who stood sentinel at the closed main gate. "Close and bar the gate behind us. Don't open it for anyone unless a Kuvay'Nas tells you to. Wait here for that squad leader who was here earlier." Vypec glanced back at his small group of volunteers. "Tell him our numbers." Vypec almost added pray for us, but that seemed a tad melodramatic. Vypec lead the way out of the gate, turning his eyes to the small trickle of blood that lay outside, on the dusty roadway. Even he could see that sign of the knight's passing, but he had very little experience tracking.

"Weapons out, if you have them." Vypec said, letting his eyes take in the horizon. "If anyone has any tracking experience, make sure we don't petch this whole thing up." He assumed the knight had taken the road for most of his bloody journey to the city, but he didn't want to take the chance.

Vypec looked expectantly at the volunteers around him. He had little experience with the Sea of Grass on the kind of scale that mattered for survival. The Akalak had gathered his group and now he waited for one or more of them to offer some sort of guidance. "If anyone has anything new to add, or any familiarity with the Sea of Grass, I'd certainly appreciate it." He said, gesturing to the open road in front of them. "We've got a daunting task ahead of us and..." He paused, finding it hard to identify his own weakness to these strangers. They were here to have his back though, and he theirs. Identifying his weak points could save someone's life later. "I'm not much when it comes to tracking out here." He finished somewhat lamely, frowning at the road ahead.
User avatar
Vypec
Night Stalker
 
Posts: 122
Words: 156592
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2016, 6:49 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Kaie on March 15th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Image
Shyke. That was a Kuvay'Nas I just pushed aside wasn't it? The guilty Myrian's eyes slipped over her shoulder while she crouched, brow raising in alert at the sound of the indignant hissing of the Akalak. A sensation she could only describe as a sort of ominous, dark cloud entered her conscious mind. Danger! her body sang in a hymn of tensing muscles and an urging of focus toward what laid behind her. Oddly enough, this time there came an unusual rush along with the warning from her new found ability. Starting trouble with the resident authority in the city not was on her to-do list. In an effort to promote peace, the young woman's left hand opened and rose away from the body. Likewise, the fingers of her right hand uncurled from their firm hold on her spear's shaft while her thumb remained curled to press it to her palm. Just when she had a thought to turn and spring to her feet in order to defend herself, the familiar man's threat was cut off as he seemed to turn his attention to some new arrivals. You're a very lucky Myrian, her mind scolded her as the foreboding feelings of intended harm to her being slowly began to ebb. Curiosity called her eyes back to the fallen knight one last time.

She dared to free the sword from its sheath just enough to discover and note it was indeed bloodied. The empty sheaths on the corpse's weapons belt earned a tilt of her head in confusion. Were the weapons lost in some kind of previous conflict or was there a different explanation? Kaie shook her head. She didn't have enough information to answer that yet. The mud that caked his boots did little to help her come up with much helpful detail either. The careful removal of his helm revealed the face of a man who had indeed exerted himself through blood and sweat. It's a shame you weren't born in Myri's light, friend. Our Goddess Queen might've been proud. The horse's bellow tore the Myrian from her search. She frowned in sorrow in the direction of the red-haired woman who continued to try to aid the animal. Her kind efforts were determined but in vain.

Kaie rose from her crouch to turn toward the two woman, the formidable blonde and another mysterious red-head close by, to listen to their own notable discoveries. While the red-head's previous announcement of a clear mile from the city gates was met with concealed skepticism and wonder from the Myrian, the blonde's plethora of successful findings had her raising her brow. With a frown, Kaie shook her head after considering the newly shared information.
"I didn't find too much on the body. Just everything you'd expect. Bloody sword and sweaty face. I think he's missing two weapons though. There's a pair of empty sheaths on his weapons belt," Kaie offered up with a shrug of her shoulders. The revelations were sending her mind reeling in search of answers she had no skill in grasping. Back in Sunberth, it had been her associates that were skilled in investigations like these. The foolhardy Myrian had merely been their enforcer of sorts. Apparently she would still make for a pathetic detective.

Perhaps it would be for the best she went on her way and let the others deal with the perils that might come from the events of the day. It wasn't her homeland to put her life in jeopardy for. Yet she was stuck. Something in her ached. It was as if her usual antics were simply not enough, as if her daily routine of sparring and drinking did nothing to soothe this restless desire that burned within. It was eating at her. The simplicity of her lifestyle lacking much danger or excitement was sucking the very life from her being day after day. The call for volunteers came soon after and the Myrian found herself instinctively rising for the occasion. Kaie made her way more carefully this time through the crowd with her spear head pointed safely down. Before long she presented herself before the Kuvay'Nas leader once he was finished directing those that had volunteered as well.


"I'm not much of a tracker either, but it shouldn't be too hard to follow if there's a blood trail so long as it doesn't break. I've held my own outside a city's walls a time a two. Let me help watch your backs. If whatever did the knight and the horse in is still out there, you'll need all the swords you can get." It was the best olive branch she could provide the man. At least in the event she did survive the possible suicide mission she felt compelled to sign up for, she might just emerge on the better side of the Kuvay'Nas again. The red-haired woman, who had implied a curious insight to what laid beyond, had announced earlier that a blood trail led directly south. If she was permitted to come along the expedition and the gates were opened, that would be the first thing Kaie would look after. Would there even be enough of it for the beginner tracker to follow?
Image
Image



Image
User avatar
Kaie
Player
 
Posts: 1569
Words: 1635789
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Amunet on March 15th, 2016, 11:57 pm

Image
No sooner had she taken her medical bag from the yvas of her Strider than the stallion breathed its last. That sound that she was too well acquainted with. Amunet’s hands gripped the bag tightly as she looked at the grisly scene for a chime or two. The bellow of a Akalak startled her as her head snapped in that direction. The blonde woman had looked in her direction. The compassion turned into anguish and sorrow. Her hand on the head of the stallion in a silent blessing for it to return to the web. Her head bowed for a few ticks more before she stood up to return the medical kit to her yvas. The redheaded Drykas signed for her mare to step back as the blonde was going through the saddlebag that was not being crushed.

The weight of the warhorse may very well take two or three Akalaks to move and she wasn’t sure it was even possible to get the other saddlebag. The young Healer looked over towards the Akalaks speaking. One scary one was talking to a scarier one who gave orders for a volunteer group to make an external investigation. Her face turned towards the exit and the Grass that would be beyond it. What killed this man and his horse would be a danger to her people that wander the great expanse of that is The Grass. The girl girded her courage. This city apparently was the home of the big blue giant that had haunted her nightmares. At least the one giving orders left one who wasn’t blue to create the investigation group. The girl was a slight formed little thing as she put a hand on one of the two daggers at her waist. There was a slingshot with a pouch half full of stones for ammunition. It wasn’t much to look at as she approached the purple man. She stood close to the blond woman as she seemed safe. Though powerfully built she was taller than her. The woman stood as if she was ten feet tall it seemed but for once someone was shorter than her.

“Me, Amunet Shimmerstone of Drykas of Ruby Clan of River Flower. Me go. You need one know the Grass, Drykas. “ She pointed out there. “Me know medicine and have grace of Rak’keli. Cook and tend. Me can care for people. This thing, danger to all peoples.” The way she said peoples seemed to include not just Riverfall. To the Drykas, their striders were as much a person as the humans were and there for part of the people. There was a soft lilting accent as she tried to convey in her Common her reasoning. The danger didn’t seem to concern her as much as her concern for people’s well-being.

The red headed Drykas looked at the other red head and the other female that moved like the Akalak, like a warrior. They had warrior women among the Drykas so it was not hard to spot those signs within the woman’s movements. She moved to check her gear over for a moment after any introductions were done or not. She had what she would typically carry with her when going out to the outlying camps and pavilions to provide care and medicine to. Her captors hadn’t taken anything, but even Pratal was not worth this menace that left a pall over the crowd. She swung up and up onto the back of her tall mare as she pulled on the yvas ring and used the momentum to obtain her seat. It was a practiced move she had probably performed hundreds of times since she bonded with the mare.

It became apparent to her that she was perhaps one of a few if not the only one who was mounted. They looked at the blood trail as the Purple one spoke up. When the purple man asked if anyone had tracking ability her brow furrowed. “Me know something. kind of.” How did you explain it? There was a bare press of the knee to bring the mare around towards the Blonde female. “Can me borrow book from man from steel? Any person know Man from steel name?” She did not listen to the discussion of before while they were investigating the man in steel’s belongings in the saddlebag. If the man’s name was uttered, the girl missed it as she was caring for the horse. Her question was most sincere as she looked at them each in turn for any information they could offer to her.

While the blonde one was considering her request he had asked about the Grass. The Drykas home is the Sea of Grass. “The Grass .. pretty.” The word beautiful in pavi was not translating to Common for her. “The Grass.. much danger. Mother Semele changes Grass often. Father Zulrav blows cross skin of Mother. We know Grass much as grass it self. “It was difficult to explain. The Sea of Grass was the child of Semele and zulrav as this child would change and move as the errant child it was. “Me know Grass much as any Drykas. “

If she was provided the name of the knight and the book or at least the knight’s name the girl would sit back and close her eyes on the back of her mare. She would focus on the name, if she had the book her palm would rest on the outside of it as she balanced it on her other palm. She would breathe steadily and rhythmically slower and slower for three chimes. Her eyes would open as she focused. Those starbursts would shimmer and light up as those broken ribbons zoomed in a few directions. Her brow furrowed as she willed those broken pieces to form some kind of cohesive direction that belonged to the name. It may seem like she is doing nothing but the shimmer of her eyes would glitter along the starburst giving it an unusual glow. She put her finger on her temple as she strained with it to get a more precise direction than meandering broken path. Her sense of detail noted how faded the pieces were becoming. It seemed when someone passed, their trail would fade rather quickly. They didn’t have a lot of time. Hopefully the book would provide a bit more oomph to the djed trail and straighten it out.
User avatar
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!
 
Posts: 542
Words: 566026
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Hatching (Closed)

Postby Eosi on March 16th, 2016, 5:18 am

Image
The horse did not make it. The young woman who managed to soothe its fury did the best she could, but the crowd was right. The stallion was far too heavy to be moved. There simply was not enough time for the healer to work with. Eosi inclined her head in observance of its passing, her mouth a tight line. Nothing could be saved here.

To her chagrin, the Isur shot her a withering look as she drew closer. Eosi took a step back almost automatically. Though it didn't read in her face, she chafed at her own presumption. This person knew Kavala but that didn't make her a friend. She was a stranger, from a culture she knew little about.

”Indeed,” she agreed simply, unwilling to press the issue. ”Thank you.” This woman struck her as aloof and almost defensive, though she wasn't sure why. Regardless, her reasoning was sound. This was no ordinary creature they were dealing with. She'd come to similar conclusions on her own. With renewed caution, she disengaged with the Isur, offering her a polite nod, that brief thanks and little else.

At the arrival of Kazma, she found her attention drawn elsewhere. Eosi got to work. She assessed their next step to be determining where the knight had come from and simply acted upon it.

”Excuse me,” she asked one of adults who lingered nearby, if there were any. ”Do you have any knowledge of the places that lie directly south from here? Anything you can do to shed some light on the matter would do a great service for the city.” She waited for the answer, if there was to be one, wearing a thoughtful expression. Any information could possibly make the difference.

It was then that the call was made. They were looking for volunteers to venture out into the Grass. Eosi had already thrown her lot in with the rest, long before it had been asked of her. But rather than stepping up right away, she waited. The Isur woman volunteered straight away. She seemed almost eager to become involved, which could prove to become significant. Who was this mysterious stranger who cared so much? Why did she seem so hostile?

The tan woman who’d pushed the Akalak aside did too. Much like their first volunteer, she did not elect to share her name. She was dark and lean, with a tawny gaze and a wary expression. There was something exotic about her that Eosi couldn't place. Regardless of her identity, she was certainly bold. Not many would willingly get in the way of a Kuvay'nas of Riverfall.

”Yes,” Eosi confirmed. ”There is a significant amount of blood. The trail will be easy to follow.”

Another woman, a redhead like her, also agreed to help. Amunet she was called and as far as Eosi could tell, she appeared a gentle spirit. Unlike the other two, fiercer women, she was demure and sweetfaced, more concerned with the horse than the rider. Eosi offered her a small smile, intended as a comfort. Her common was obviously not good.

At last, her eyes fell on the man. Vypec he was called. He was huge and corded with muscle as most Akalak were. Further, he had the officious bearing that most Kuvay’nas did, only his skin was struck her as almost beautiful. It was midnight purple, dark and rich in hue. She wondered what he’d do, what his leadership might be like.

”I will help,” she offered finally. Eosi rolled her shoulders and the quiver strapped to her back jostled with the movement. It was a good thing she’d brought her weapon. ”I have led certain expeditions for the Antiquities Society throughout the past few years. Ask anyone: I know how to keep a good watch.” Her gaze was piercing and her jaw set with determination.

”My name is Eosi. I can be your eyes out on the Grass.”
Image
User avatar
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.
 
Posts: 262
Words: 244475
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Location: Riverfall, City of Strength
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests