Closed Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Sayana finds herself in the midst of a storm... with unexpected company

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Postby Sayana on June 5th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Wiles and flies and walls… Frankly his figurative speech was confusing to her but she got the gist of his meaning. That he knew she was trying to toy with him and had put up the walls on purpose. When he spoke of seeking challenges as being foolish, Sayana narrowed her eyes at him but didn’t interrupt. His conclusion that she challenged herself in order to grow, was insightful and rather accurate. But only mostly accurate. The rush of riding a galloping horse or leaping from rooftop to rooftop was purely exhilarating on its own. It was those moments that she sought when challenging herself, and those moments that didn’t require the promise of growth to make them worthwhile.

The Eypharian couldn’t help but chuckle as Clyde when on to speaking of half-truths, lies, partial truths, false modesty, and evasion. At no point did he specifically call her out on something but he seemed well aware that her words were a mix of this and that. In an odd way it was rather flattering that he managed to notice what many did not spot. And even though she didn’t comment on any of his assertions, her expression was clearly amused as if playing some intricate game.

As he discussed the details of their exchange of magic and began talking about an oath, or a ‘grand oath’, Sayana’s attention wavered. It sounded silly, superficial, and something like a knight’s oath of honor. She instead strained to hear whether the storm was still in full force. There had been pounding of raindrops upon the small tent for the longest time, but sometime during their conversation it had lessened, and by a lot. She wasn’t even sure if it was raining at all anymore, and the winds had faded substantially.

“A grand oath? Is that something you speak before the gods themselves and should you dare break it, you will be smited where you stand?” Sayana asked with an unbelieving tone and more than just a hint of mocking. Perhaps it was a bad idea to turn her back to him at that very moment, but if the storm was over she wanted to get out of the cramped quarters so she was no longer indebted to his hospitality. She moved to the tent’s entrance and opened the flap to step outside.

“I didn’t take you for a mage knight, Clyde. Or someone who cared about symbolic oaths of the knighthood.” Sayana spoke, loud enough for him to hear should he remain inside the tent. It was certainly wet out and for a moment she thought she felt a few raindrops, but they were merely drips from the leaves above. It had been rather dark prior, but now Syna was peeking through the trees.

“Clyde, if you’re going to make me promise never to use hypnotism on you for any reason, you’ll have a pretty poor lesson. I can tell you of the intricacies of my art, but it is nothing compared to showing you. Besides, I would fully expect you to practice on me when you begin. Only then would I be able to tell you if you’re doing it right or not.”

She paused. She wasn’t sure if he’d really understand. He certainly had expressed his dislike for the magic when used upon him and yet he seemed to have the desire to learn it anyways. If she was good enough, that is. Her eyes wandered to the forest floor. There were pale pink things littering the wet ground, wiggling ever so slightly. She picked one up and watched as the worm squirmed in her finger tips.

“Clyde, have you ever gone fishing?” Her comment would have seemed out of place and she idly wondered if the patch of forest just happened to be infested by worms or if it had something to do with the storm.

“Tell you what, if it makes you feel that much better, I’ll take your oath. But you’ll have to tell me what it consists of. For example, I don’t plan on doing some ritual that involves eating a hundred worms.” With a grin she held up the worm in question, then tossed it to the forest floor.

Credit: Shimoje
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 11th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Clyde shook his head, his odd smile returning once more.

“A Grand Oath is a promise, written and made using a particular type of magic I am skilled in. Its difficult, but I'm proficient in their making.”

“Its not spoken, its written, upon the foundation of the Ukalas itself. And no, the gods won't smite you if you break it.”

Clyde paused for a dramatic effect here, giving a moment for silence to settle before continuing. While he might be shut off within himself, pushing away emotions and feelings, that apparently didn't lessen his sense of theatricality.

“Once signed, it simply CAN'T be broken. Its not possible. Its a true oath, one that can't be broken, not on pain of death, but on the fact that it won't let you.”

“I'm not a mage knight, though everyone in Syliras works for the knights in some manner or other. And no, I don't believe in symbolic oaths. I believe in reality, and there is nothing more real than a properly made Grand Oath.”

As Sayana left the cramped tent Clyde stretched, sitting up and re-positioning himself in the tent. After a moment he would rise and follow her outside, inspecting the wet surroundings of the campsite.

“Who said I wanted to learn to use hypnotism though? I said I wanted to learn of the magic, not learn to use it. Perhaps learn of how it is learned, but... I think I'd rather steer clear of learning it for now, till I understand it and what it does better, both to the target and the user. From my experience no magic is free, and I've seen the side effects that can happen even with more physical magics, let alone ones affecting the mind.”

Clyde paused, inspecting the worms she showed him, before explaining the oath.

“A Grand Oath is simple really, in principle if not in application. An oath, an agreement or contract, is written. If you agree to it as it has been written, you sign it, and after that it is enforced. No tricks, no hidden words, no invisible ink. It is enforced just as the contract says. No more, no less.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Postby Sayana on June 12th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Sayana listened curiously to his description of the Grand Oath. He seemed back to himself, whatever that happened to be, as he discussed the magical contract. There was lightness within him, brightness, as he spoke. And even though she didn’t fully believe his words regarding the oath, she could tell that he believed them, utterly. It wasn’t just persuading someone of this ‘grand oath’ concept. He was proud and she wondered whether it was directly related to his quest for knowledge, or evidence of his success.

“So you don’t want to learn the wonderful art of hypnotism? I’d go easy on you, promise.” Sayana replied coyly to his statement about the magic. “And if you don’t trust me now with my skill… just you wait. I get better with each passing day.”

She was about to just leave it at that, but then a sudden streak of realization hit her. “Of course… if you can simply make these Grand Oaths, hypnotism isn’t high on your priority list. Even for someone who has a quest for knowledge. I’ll see it, and read it before I sign.” There was an added emphasis on reading it, which might have seemed unusual to most but it was a big deal for her. Even though she had marginal confidence in her reading skills, she was certainly not proficient nor did she find the task easy in any way.

“However, I’ll expect that you’ll be the one to write it up and create it, since you are the one who feels that it is necessary before exchanging knowledge. But I am not stupid. If you try to trick me into something that is not in my best interest… Well, I’d prefer to have you as a friend than something else.”

Sayana glanced around the forest thick with trees, and gave a nod as she spotted her horse, safely within her make-shift shelter. His dog looked plenty wet, but had clearly tried to shake himself dry once the rain had stopped.

“It’ll take time to prepare this magic… paper?” Sayana asked. He had inferred that it was a magical process and that only one of his talent could prepare such with ease. “Shall we meet again in Summer?”

There were a few reasons for her delay. Firstly, she wanted to become better at hypnotism so he would be less likely to make fun of her overall lack in magical skill. Second, she wanted to find out more about him if possible. And finally, she wanted some time to truly consider if she needed his help learning Auristics or not. She knew it was within her grasp, and she knew she had the potential for it, but her first true encounter with the magic gave her shivers. Yet she wanted to succeed.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 13th, 2016, 11:32 pm

While Clyde was still withdrawn, not letting the outward things influence him, he couldn't help a bit of energy leak into his words as he spoke on Glyphing.

It was something he was truly interested in, and so he couldn't help a bit of that excitement bubbling forth. It wasn't often he got the chance to discuss or speak about magic, even in such a role as this. While he couldn't perhaps hope for an equal scholarly debate among mages here in Syliras, he could still explain and teach once or twice... For the right price.

Her pointing out that she would get better at hypnotism was just another reminder of why he wanted to oath her. Making sure she didn't petch with his mind when she got better was as large an incentive as making her keep his secrets and her end of the deal.

“Lack of skill has nothing to do with my lack of trust Say... I'd likely trust you even less if your skill was greater in this particular magic, while the opposite is normally true with other magics. Hypnotism though isn't the same as other magics, though each are unique. But that shouldn't be a problem after the oath, no matter how skilled you become. If you have no malicious plans though to use magic on me without permission, well then you'd have nothing to lose by signing an oath promising not to do such a thing.”

“I'm fine with just learning of the magic, and perhaps of how it is learned, without becoming an initiate. I have enough magic. Why pick up a new blade when you already have plenty, and a few could do with some sharpening.”

Clyde shrugged in response to her comment, about reading the oath before she signed. He found that a bit odd, since surely from his prior statements he'd made it clear she could read it before hand.

He had a small inkling he was missing something, that there was more to her odd statement or perception of it, but he wasn't sure what that could be.

“My normal process is to make a draft, agree on that, and then make the final product for you to sign. I would of course be the one to make the final copy as it requires the special materials, and particular skills and processes few know.”

“I'll think on a draft in the meantime, and try to have one ready by when we meet.”

If Clyde noticed Sayana's threat, he didn't react to it. Or perhaps he reacted in the same way a cow would react to a frog saying it would swallow said cow whole in one bite... Dismissively.

Turning about, Clyde crawled back into his tent, going through his pack. After a bit of movement and the rustle of objects and clinking of metal, Clyde would exit the tent with 50 gold mizas wrapped in a bit of old parchment, handing them over to the extra armed woman.

“Thats half the cost of the ingredients needed to make a grand oath. The other half you'll pay yourself. If your serious, you'll arrive with the needed materials at my lab. Call it a first test before I take you on as a student, and put in the effort to Oath you.”

Clyde spent the next chime or so listing off the materials he would need. Exquisite quills, expensive colored inks of rare ingredients, and finely crafted thick parchments, all things unlikely to be sold at most shops in Syliras, unlikely to be found anyplace that didn't have a magical slanting in truth.

How she went about acquiring them, the purchase of which might in and of itself draw attention or be reported to listening ears of the knighthood due to their rarity and use in Grand Oaths, would tell him something about the woman.

After that it would appear Clyde was done, or if nothing else had lost interest in the woman, taking the moment to rub Rye, who quickly ran off to a nearby tree to make it a bit wetter.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Postby Sayana on June 16th, 2016, 10:07 pm

There were a couple phrases Clyde used that triggered Sayana’s scrutiny. “My normal process” and his use of “Oath” as an action. Clearly he had done the procedure before, and likely several times before. She listened carefully to his list of materials, and more than once resisted the urge to roll her eyes. What did it matter what kind of quill or ink? Was he hoping to frame it and put it on a wall? Regardless, she memorized each item he mentioned.

She took the gold and gave a nod in understanding. Was such a vow really so expensive to create? But if it was magical and could be written in any way one liked… It was still a good reason why the mage could benefit from learning hypnotism, particularly if his money pockets ever ran slim.

By that point, the mage seemed to lose interest in her, as he was apparently finished with their dealings. She felt no need to confirm what was already clear, and gave another nod of acknowledgement before leaving to tend to her horse.

Her first destination was her camp, as she mounted up on the white horse. The forest was wet, and more than once she pushed past a sodden tree branch and got a hundred droplets raining down upon her. But her mind was elsewhere. The Oath, the peculiar materials it required, the potential of finally coming to terms with auristics, and his powerful yet subtle presence. Mostly, the encounter had humbled her. Here was someone who was strong, perhaps stronger than herself who she could not trifle with by the use of hypnotism.

As for the gold, she could take it and run away with it. But she’d have to run far far away, and for only fifty mizas that would be quite the trip. Plus that would make an enemy rather than a friend out of a powerful person. Involuntarily, she made a quick glance over her shoulder as though the man could somehow still be watching her.

With such thoughts in mind, she reached her camp and began cleaning up after the storm. She tied a clothes line to dry out her wet robe. The fire pit was soaked with pooling water, so she began digging a new one. The tent certainly had its wet patches which she carefully drained out. Lastly, she searched under shrubs and leaves for dry pieces of wood that had survived the storm.

If she was going to go through with this magic training, formal magic training, Summer was going to prove a very interesting season.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Stormy Weather (Clyde)

Postby Konrad Venger on September 24th, 2016, 1:02 am

Sayana

XP:
Hunting - 1
Wilderness Survival (Forest) - 3
Hypnotism - 2
Negotiation - 3
Investigation - 3
Intelligence - 2
Philosophy - 1

Lore:
Hunting: Antler Marks on Trees
Wilderness Survival: Constructing a (Leaky) Shelter
Clyde Sullins: A Mage Not to be Trifled with (Magically or Otherwise)
Clyde Sullins: An "Authority" on Magics of Various Kinds
Trying to Use a Mark's Personality to Reveal Information
Clyde Sullins: Cold and Detached
Magical Lore: Grand Oath
Intelligence: Buying Time to Gather more Intel Before a Major Commitment

Clyde

XP:
Wilderness Survival (Forest) - 1
Logic - 1
Intimidation - 1
Philosophy - 3
Investigation - 2
Meditation - 1
Negotiation - 2

Lore:
Always Bring a Tent (and a Bed)
Logic: Narrowing Down what Magic is Being Used, based on My Auristic Readings
Use Djed If you Want, Just not on ME
Sayana: A Bold but Intriguing Novice Mage
Rhetoric: The Art of Saying Nothing
Sayana: A Classic User of Feminine Wiles

Shared Lore:
Magic Used Without Permission is NEVER "Friendly"
Everything can Be Understood, Even Emotions and Djed
Magical "Purists" Are the Best to Learn From
Nothing More Real than A Grand Oath

Click Me! :
Well, this each and every inch the pleasure I knew it would be! Two skilled writers sparring back and forth like Flynn and Rathbone, even if one is... shall we say lesser armed. But Sayana held her own, I think, though it was interesting to see her - usually the far more potential dangerous character in a thread - so obviously dwarfed by so unassuming a man.

Urgh. I enjoyed every post and page, and I don't trust that Sullins wanker as far as I can throw him. Roll on the Summer lessons, and find out what this Oath will entail...

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4