Armorer Interest?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Armorer Interest?

Postby Baelin Holt on April 21st, 2016, 9:56 pm

The armorer skill is still a stub. I've spent a good bit of time watching youtube videos of people smithing and armoring as well. And I've read way too many online tutorials. Anyone interested on having me write it up for the lore?
Baelin Holt
Blacksmith

Words: 367174
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2014, 12:36 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Armorer Interest?

Postby Vick on April 21st, 2016, 11:04 pm

Sure. Always wanted to see it with weaponsmithing fleshed out.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Armorer Interest?

Postby Izuyanai on April 22nd, 2016, 12:57 pm

Yes please!
Maybe consider adding in Lore specific to Mizahar.
For example, a nod to the Isur, useful gnosis, etc.
There may be unique raw materials only available in this world.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Armorer Interest?

Postby Baelin Holt on April 25th, 2016, 11:47 pm

That's a good idea, Izuyanai. I know I'll struggle with that, so any and all recommendations are welcome.

Here's a tentative start at an outline, sans Miz specific info (not sure what to put). I welcome advice/changes. I pulled the lineup from the Winter Tree Craft's video.

1. Cutting - metal cut according to template, edges filed
2. Dishing - create bowl shapes, on a dishing form, best for shallow shapes, usually done cold, poor detail control, material thins
3. Raising - create deeper curved shapes, on a round stake, hits off center, need to anneal in a forge to soften the metal (work on it when it cools off) between passes (material hardens with hammer strikes), greater detail control than dishing, much more time and skill intensive
4. Boughing - usually follows raising, hit on center of round stake, evens material out
5. Forming - if flares are desired on a domed part, need to heat metal until red-hot, then while still hot bend the metal at an anvil
6. Planishing - smooth planishing hammer used over entire piece to minimize hammer marks, very time intensive
7. Heat Treating - heat in forge (should be glowing), quench in oil or water, heated again to lower temperature (shouldn't be glowing)
8. Polishing - ...stone powder / pumice? Does Miz have sandpaper?
9. Welding - heat metal until red hot, hit until it starts to weld together. Sand/file weld afterwards.
10. Rust protectant - optional step for small, unimportant pieces like buckles that you don't want to spend time maintaining, dip into wax/oil mix
11. Rivet - punch a hole, nail through hole, clip off excess, hammer down nub
Baelin Holt
Blacksmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Armorer Interest?

Postby Shimoje on April 27th, 2016, 1:21 am

Hey Baelin. I like what you have so far? Ever think of starting an outline Here?

Some recommendations I have for you: There are a lot of different arts for Armorer, and an armorer won't always involve metal from what I have experienced.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Armorer Interest?

Postby Baelin Holt on April 27th, 2016, 2:23 am

Hi Shimoje. I figured I would try to hash out some basics here in a casual discussion before moving to some more solid development. I'm using this guideline currently, which says:
Pre-Approval Phase: Submit an application to develop your article using the the Article Proposal Form. This must include a summary paragraph and detailed outline of your proposed article. You may continue developing only after Staff have approved the proposal. Prior to this step, you may post in the Lore Discussions forum to gauge interest for the article, work out outlines, etc.
If this is outdated, my mistake. The lore writing process is pretty non-intuitive for me. I really do welcome pointers.

Going beyond metal is a really great suggestion. I have a bad habit of zoning in on metal. Leather is probably a big one. Will definitely have to get creative for some of the more wilder materials used in the price list. Just glancing through it now I see bones, tree bark, fish scales, buckskin, giant spider shells (?), kelp, chitin, spidersilk, leaves, fur and animal hides, steel wire, gossamer thread (spider silk or actual thread?), battle-armored fish (?), coins, shells, wood, compressed plants, fish-leather, and rattan or bamboo.

There's also the "armor materials" parts for everything that wasn't one of the special types for pricing consideration: bone, bronze, gold, silver, leather/hide, wood, Isurian Steel, and normal steel.

Lots of sections then.

I'm tempted to shy away from Isurian Steel in the armorer skill article. There's an Isurian Steel lore article that does a better job than I probably can. A mention, but not its own section.
Baelin Holt
Blacksmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Armorer Interest?

Postby Shimoje on April 27th, 2016, 2:29 am

You can always add a lore link to discuss such in your article. Glad I could be of some help! You are right. Typically the process composes of you posting an application and an outline. This area however is a good place to gather your thoughts before you start your outline!

The battle armored fish probably refers to some of the larger fish that travel in pods. You can find lore related to them in the Suvan Sea here. Hope that helps as well!
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes