OOC Info A Profusion of Rum and Coconuts - Syka's OOC

For all Syka's OOC Chatter, Announcements, and Q&A.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Profusion of Rum and Coconuts - Syka's OOC

Postby Gossamer on January 1st, 2018, 12:08 am

Let's talk Wilderness Survival for a few minutes. Feel free to comment or pipe in some input if you want too. But I just wanted to share my vision of Syka with you in regards to Wilderness Survival.

I see Syka as a sort of zoned region. The beach area, where the actual settlement is, requires a Wilderness Survival of about 10XP or so. And even then you need to know how to forage for food such as fruit, clams, and even have a decent fishing skill to fish in order to feed yourself. Hunting helps do that as well. Swimming is almost a must.

Everyone should be working on these.

The fringe along the beach of jungle that's more well explored by the Settlers is roughly a 25 Wilderness Survival or so. And again, you need those supplemental skills to survive. These are the places that have trails or where the cobbled pathway is... this is the VERY EDGE of the Fringe. There are dangerous creatures there, and even then they can stray out on the beach.

Deeper into The Maw and The Jungle Wild it increases rapidly 50+ XP in WS or more. When you get into some of the Pavena Ruins, which are incredibly dangerous, that even goes higher. And even then, you need other skills to protect you... fighting, unarmed, hunting, magics, a whole host of things.

A player stated that 'basically anyone can survive in the jungle' in chat. No... really most people can't. We are giving you a little time to get it up by hanging out on the beach. But people that venture into the Jungle without anything BETTER RP A STRUGGLE and better have issues. If you don't, then you are Metagaming and aren't playing a jungle like it should be played.

Have you ever walked through one? Trails are hellishly dangerous because that's the main travel pathways of big predators. Straight through in a straight line is incredibly hard moving because of the vegetation that is everywhere. You can't think in terms of how many miles you can get in a day in the Jungle... movement is so much slower than that unless you have a way to do so rapidly (say riding an elephant that lets very few vegetative features bother them) or have a magical form that's very astute at navigating Forests like an elk. :)

Does that clear a few things up?

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 1st, 2018, 8:41 pm

Just a quick note...

You folks are free to use any NPC in the library without permission. They will teach you skills, have fireside chats, etc. There's usually no charge for their services (unless they are building you a bungalow etc) because they are trying to help the settlement succeed. You cannot have things GIVEN to you by them for free. If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM on individual situations. By and large though they are free game, even the Founders.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aladon on January 1st, 2018, 10:22 pm

Question Gossamer

Along with wilderness survial, should PCs should be actively working on weapon skills to defend themselves against the large predators in the maw?
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on January 1st, 2018, 11:42 pm

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: PCs should be actively working on Wilderness Survival, Swimming, Foraging, Cooking, Construction, Tracking, Unarmed, Weapon, and anything else you do to get by without the convenience of a city... meaning a trade-able artisan skill.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 11th, 2018, 2:06 am

I'm very late on this but...

Welcome Aspen! You are a fantastic writer and I hope everyone jumps on board to help get you started writing here and find a place in the settlement. If people aren't beating down your door to get threads with you, frankly they are stupid! Good writers are hard to come by in Newbies and you know what you are doing! Thanks for picking Syka... and folks... go hound him for threads!

Goss
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 11th, 2018, 4:02 am

I have the big quest for the season up and running. It is here:

Fire In The Sky

I know there are several brand new people in Syka currently. I don't want them to be excluded form the Quest just because they just started in Syka. I also know one or two people are planning on being here for it that aren't here already. I will give everyone until SUNDAY to get the points they need, 50, to join the quest and post. If you post in the quest thread by Sunday, you are IN. This goes for new people and well established Syka characters. If you are waiting on me to post a drop in, don't worry about it. I will do so quickly in your threads with a moderator drop-in and you can count those points despite any delay I might cause.

If anyone doesn't know about the points or how to get them, please see The Calendar Thread for this season. It has a clear explanation in it. If you are still confused, grab me on the Discord Chat (I'm pretty much always there), and I will try and clear things up.

If you do join this quest, please post frequently. We will not wait for your posts to move the Quest forward.

Enjoy it, everyone. I worked hard setting it up.

Goss
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aladon on January 13th, 2018, 7:56 am

Hello Syka

If anyone is looking for a thread partner, feel free to send me a PM, and we can brainstorm up a thread. There alot of interesting PCs here, and I would love to meet you. :)
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on January 14th, 2018, 1:18 am

Please welcome Ialari to Syka! It's nice to have a mage with a very unique lost discipline roaming around. Feel free to say hi and hit her up for threads.

Also... Fire in the Sky will get a post tomorrow so if you are planning on joining, you have until then to jump on board. If you did the work to get the points and are still waiting on me don't hesitate to jump in. I won't count my hold up against you. :)
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 15th, 2018, 3:14 am

Please Welcome Satevis!

Also, I'm totally out of steam today so you get a reprise on Fire In the Sky. Tomorrow night I'll be posting to it instead!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Satevis on January 15th, 2018, 3:33 am

Hi all! Happy to start setting up threads with people once I get my intro thread down!

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
Satevis
Player

Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext