PM to join [Training Grounds] Training by Fist

Yes, another training thread. :) Shoot me a PM if you wanna make things fun. :)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Training Grounds] Training by Fist

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on September 1st, 2016, 1:37 am

13th of Fall516

Just a few days prior. Ferrin returned with his family and friends from the trade with the Drykas, those of the Drykas that took the efforts to leave Endrykas. Overall, it was really surprising to meet new Drykas. He wanted to learn more about Jade's kind and how they act and respond to certain things. Are they different than humans? Ferrin could recall something about windmarks, a bond between another Strider. A horse bred for Drykas pride, or something similar to that. Ferrin was interested in all of it, and he would love to learn whatwver he can. Plus, it'lllet him know more about Jade. It took a few seasons for her to open up to him, but as long as she still trusts and loves him he'll be fine. Of course, Ferrin still loves Jade, he wouldn't give her up for anything. She was strong, quite independent and very understanding and friendly.

Ferrin always liked that about Jade.

Recently, whenever Ferrin ventures outside of Syliras, well before now. Things were getting a little hazy. Odd. Just yesterday, a heavy sleet fog strolled in from the Suvan Sea, and the Order was told to be cautious of this fog, or to be aware of it nonetheless. Ferrin assumed that something could go wrong, and this fog isn't helping his training, as it's getting difficult to see around the Training Grounds. If they didn't have those open beams that arched over the roof, Ferrin would be fine, and everyone else would be as well. Ser Xervos was being cautious for today's training lesson. The Knight was surely anxious about Ferrin accidentally slicing someones arm or other limbs. It wouldn't look good on either of their reputations. If Ferrin did something like that, who knows whst would happen. Ferrin hoped that it wouldn't lead to instant death, otherwise, Ferrin would just pounce.

Fists were beating hard against a dummy, it was fairly far enough from other squires and Knights training. Ser Xervos was spectating Ferrin as the squire was threading out punches, almost like a Wilde man.

"No, no." Ser Xervos could be seen squinting through the dense fog. "You have it all wrong." He started. "You should twist your hips a little more. That's where you get your power. Not from your arms." He explained. Ferrin nodded and wiped a few beads of sweat from his forehead.

"Alright." He nodded. Ferrin clenched his fists into a ball and continued to punch at the dummy's head. Punch punch punch. Swift movements, but they all lacked the stability needed to throw in a perfect punch. The fog was just only starting to make Ferrin a bit edgy.

"So, how was the trade?" Asked Ser Xervos. Ferrin paused and turned to face his patron.

"It went well."

"Yeah?" The Knight asked.

"Yes, and I managed to get a new longbow. The trip there and back was about 39 days. But, I had been able to spend time with Dina and Jade." Ferrin replied cordially. His breathing was slowing. Almost stable.

"Oh how is Jade and Dina? Assuming she's my great niece?" Ferrin nodded.

"Yep, you betcha." He replied.

"Okay back to training. We can talk more later."

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 1st, 2016, 1:40 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel jogged through the foggy training grounds, his armour clanking loudly as he continued his habit of running before training. There was something about the fog that seemed unnatural to the knight, but he shook his head and smirked. “It's just the weather, nothing to worry about.” he told himself. His heart pounded in his chest as he forced his feet to keep moving. His fitness was returning but he still had a way to go before he was truly fighting fit again. His breathing was laboured, his muscles ached from carrying round the extra weight of his armour, and he could feel sweat running down his back. The sound of training made him slow down and stop. He walked towards the sound as quietly as he could, placing his feet slowly and carefully. His breathing was still fast, but he fought to keep it under control. Samuel soon saw that it was Ferrin and Ser Xervos. Ferrin was punching a dummy while his Patron watched. Samuel continued to approach as quietly as he could, but the squeaking of his armour heralded his arrival.

“Good day, it's been a while hasn't it?” Samuel said to the pair, “Do you fancy a rematch Ferrin?” Samuel turned to the squire's Patron and asked “As long as that's fine with you?” Samuel looked thoughtful for a moment, considering which training would be most useful for both him and the squire. “We could continue with your unarmed training if you want?” Samuel suggested, “Or we could grab some training weapons and see how the fog affects a sword fight? It's up to you!” Samuel removed his helmet and rubbed the sweat off his face, the run had loosened him up and he was looking forward to sparring. Samuel hoped that Ferrin would be his partner, knowing that the young man was a good fighter already, but he would go in search of someone else if not.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on September 1st, 2016, 2:13 pm

Ferrin stopped his knuckles were starting to bleed as he let go, the adrenaline was leaving as quickly as it entered through his body. The voice that spoke. It sounded familiar, but not very. As Ferrin turned he started to realize who this man was that sounded so familiar. Of course. Ser Longwell. Ferrin nodded.

"It has been awhile." The squire said. Ser Xervos smirked as he let the two converse.

"I wouldn't mind a rematch." Ferrin said with a sly smile. The last match had Ferrin in a twist with Sam. He always wanted to get the Knight back after that unfair shield throw. Ever since then, he hadn't met anyone who'll throw another shield at Ferrin.

"Yes a spar is perfect." Replied Ser Xervos. "I prefer wooden swords though. As this fog is setting me on edge. It rolled in yesterday, but it hasn't left yet." The Knight informed.

"Odd, really. What's been going on lately? Has Grandmaster Dyres ever posted or talked to you guys about it yet?" Asked Ferrin. It was certainly odd, Ferrin wished he could train with his shortened broadsword. He needed to work on it. Plus, it's always good to work on a secondary defensive skill. Right?

"Ready?" Asked Ferrin to Ser Longwell. "I believe I made the first strike last spar.", Recalled Ferrin. He hopes to gain leverage by going next. "Come on, bring it." Teased Ferrin as he prepared his stance and waited for the Knight to attack as Ferrin grasped tightly to the wooden blade he went to go fetch. Waiting.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 1st, 2016, 3:20 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

“I haven't heard anything.” replied Samuel as he moved to grab a wooden sword and shield. “I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's just a bit of fog, even if it does seem unusually thick.” Samuel stepped forward to face the squire and bounced on his toes, preparing himself to fight. He watched as Ferrin only grabbed a sword, then shrugged. “You sure you don't want a shield?” Samuel asked, “It's an important part of a knight's equipment. I think it's even more important than a sword for me.” He paused, remembering when the two had met trained together. Samuel had risked throwing his shield, which had allowed him to tackle the younger man to the ground. He winked at Ferrin, saying “It can also be used as a nice distraction, eh?”

“Aye,” the knight replied, settling into his stance; left foot forwards and shield ready, “I'm good to go.” Samuel took a moment to look at his opponent, thinking about what to do next. He guessed that the squire would be more wary of his shield being thrown, perhaps he could use that to his advantage. Even just a small hesitation would be an advantage for the knight. Samuel smiled, then took several quick steps forward. He pulled his shield back, pretending that he was going to throw it at Ferrin. However he instead carried on moving forward and kicked at Ferrin's knee to try and make him lose balance. He quickly brought his shield forward and pushed at his opponent to try and knock him over. His blade lashed out wildly, trying to finish the fight before it had even really begun. It was a valid strategy, but Samuel doubted that Ferrin would go down so quickly and easily.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on September 1st, 2016, 3:47 pm

Ferrin nearly face palmed. He forgot to grab a shield.

"Damn." He replied. "Yeah, I'll go get it." He said before the spar began. Ferrin rushed over to the racks and retrieved a wooden shield. It was pretty beaten. Though, it didn't show how bad it actually was. Which was good. Ferrin returned, he was more ready than anything. The fog reminded Ferrin of the marshes in Kenash. It didn't bother him much to be honest. Though, this fog still was weird. Sure, it'll be foggy sometimes during the rainy days, but just fog... what could cause it?

Once Ferrin was ready and once Ser Longwell was prepared. The Knight made his move first. He pulled his shield back, Ferrin stepped back a bit. Being cautious whether or not he'll throw his shield. Though Samuel stepped up and attempted to kick at his knee. Ferrin saw the movement, he managed to dodge, but Samuels boot scraped at the side of his leg as Ferrin turned. The squire winced, but he managed to keep his will strong. He won't give up.

Ferrin was still regaining balance as Ser Longwell shoved Ferrin with his wood shield. It pushed Ferrin back, but he didn't fall. Ferrin firmly placed his feet on the ground making sure to ease the dizziness away. The Knight came after Ferrin, he was swinging his blade like a wild man. Ferrin managed to block with his shield. The last strike from Ser Longwell came and Ferrin parried with his wooden sword.

It was his turn.

Ferrin firmly planted his right foot down and thrusts his blade. Ferrin drops back and readies his shield, aiming for the torso of the Knight. He pushes forward after setting into a run. Hoping to tackle him. If Ser Lo managed to dodge, Ferrin will counter and swing his wooden blade at the Knight horizontally, attempting to throw him off. Then a few more strikes, not as wild as the Knights, but he'll make sure to try to make contact with the wooden sword.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 1st, 2016, 10:18 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel's strikes were deftly deflected by the squire, both blade and shield providing adequate defence against his unstructured attack. Samuel was caught off guard by the counter attack, his previous attacks had left him vulnerable due to their ferocity. Ferrin's blade struck his breastplate, knocking the breath out of him as he brought his shield up to try and protect himself. The two shields crashed together, splinters flying out. Samuel just managed to avoid the squire's tackle but he was thrown completely off balance. As his opponent approached Samuel decided that he had no chance of evading the next attack if he stayed where he was, so he dived to the side. Samuel rolled awkwardly, pulling himself to his feet just in time to pull his shield into position to deflect two more strikes from Ferrin. Samuel shoved with his shield to give himself some more breathing room and stepped back quickly for a quick rest.

“You've gotten better with your shield since we last fought.” Samuel said, taking advantage of the brief pause, “Just try and keep your shield ready at all times, so that you don't have to move it as far to block counter attacks.” Samuel then leapt forwards, throwing his weight behind his shield to bash at the squire's arm. He aimed it at Ferrin's sword arm, hoping to loosen his grip, then brought his sword crashing down on his opponents blade. His intention was to knock the blade from the squire's hand. “A disarmed opponent is a less dangerous opponent.” Samuel told himself. Samuel decided he would continue the attack, slashing several times to keep the pressure on his opponent.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on September 3rd, 2016, 5:04 am

Samuel dodged his tackle. Though, it didn't mind that Ferrin hadn't had actually knocked him down. That would've been too quick for a match to end like that, and way unprofessional. Ferrin turned with speed. He noticed how the Knight was caught off balance and made a mental note of it. Though, it was hard to be sure with the fog hijacking their sight and movement's were restricted. Ferrin now wished that he could use his shortened broadsword and shield.

Samuel diced as Ferrin attempted to swing at the Knight. Fer cursed under his breath and focused his mere Atten on his opponent, he was on his feet, ready and wanting to strike again. He was raising his adrenaline, which will allow his moves to attack with vigilance. Ferrin wondered if this tactic could work.

There was a breif pause. Ferrin took this time to regain his breathing.

“You've gotten better with your shield since we last fought." Distraction. That's what Ser Longwell wanted Ferrin to think, right? Though, Ferrin replied quickly, "thank you Ser Longwell." Ferrin said with a sly smirk. "I see you've been practicing as well." He replied, readying his chipped wooden sword.

“Just try and keep your shield ready at all times, so that you don't have to move it as far to block counter attacks.”

"Yeah." He agreed with a nod.

Samuel lunged at Ferrin with his shield facing him. A shield . Ferrin dived. He nearly lost grip to his sword, Ferrin pushed himself up as quickly as he could. His breathing was steady, but it was thick. Samuel caught Ferrin off guard and managed to make contact with Ferrins' blade. But Ferrin blocked the strike with his own. Stepping aback a bit cautiously. Ferrin took this time to breath.

The squire came rushing up, he's aiming to fake out Samuel, by pulling back with his shield, though he would swing at the side of the Knight. His sword hoping to make contact with his armor. Then Ferrin would attempt a shield bash, aiming for the torso of Samuel's body. Hoping to catch him off balance or if he fell, Ferrin would pause his blade before reaching Ser Longwells throat. Ending this spar. Unless Ser Longwell would have other plans.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 3rd, 2016, 12:31 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel frowned slightly when his disarming attempt failed. The squire certainly knew how to handle his blade. The two men again paused for a moment, then the combat recommenced. Samuel brought his shield across to block the expected shield bash, falling for the feint. Samuel glimpsed Ferrin's blade slashing towards him, so the knight brought his own blade across to parry. However, although Samuel managed to deflect Ferrin's blade, the awkward way he had done so meant his own blade went flying. Samuel grimaced, losing his sword meant this fight was weighted heavily against him. Samuel decided he would have to mainly focus on defence and hope that his opponent made a mistake. The two shields crashed together, the two men separated only by a couple of inches of wood before pushing each other away again.

Usually in a spar a person losing their blade would signal the end of the contest, but Samuel still had his shield and there was still a slim chance he could come out of this on top. He knew however that he would need to outsmart the squire in some way in order to beat him. Ferrin would be ready for the shield throwing trick this time, so Samuel decided against repeating it. Samuel considered throwing dust to momentarily blind the squire but knew that another underhanded victory would probably anger his opponent. So Samuel tried to keep it simple. He stepped in and pushed at his opponents sword with his shield, trying to stop Ferrin from striking him. He then grabbed at the edge of his opponent's shield, trying to force it out of the way so he could head butt the squire. The squire only had to step away to make the move unrealistic, the greater range of the blade meant that Samuel needed to be close in order to do anything.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on September 3rd, 2016, 11:03 pm

Ferrin smiled slightly as he managed to disarm Samuel. He watched as the wooden sword skitted across the ground. As Ferrin reached in with his shield, Samuel used his own wooden shield and pressed with just as much, if not more force. Chips of wood scattered around the two. Ferrin felt a singe of pain run up his hand. Though, he couldn't tell if it was the splinters, or if it was just cut.

Ferrin was surprised to not see Samuel give up. Facing other opponents, Ferrin would see them give up. Though, Samuel is different, obviously than other spars he had had. Of course Samuel had to make things challenging. Ferrin groaned a little as the pressure finally gave way. Once they've parted, Ferrin wanted to rub at his hand. Though, it wouldn't help much. He'll take a look after the spar.

Samuel attempted another shield bash, but he was aiming for Ferrins' blade. Ferrin pulled back his sword hand just in time as Ser Longwell hit thin air. Ferrin rounded Samuel and used the pommel of the sword and used it to hit the back of the Knight. Ferrin would then strike with his blade. His swing would be controlled, but his grip isn't as strong as it was at the beginning of the match. If Samuel noticed, Ferrin is getting a little worn out, but as long as Ferrin can manage to last longer than Sam, he'll be fine. He'll be ready for whatever Samuel throws.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 4th, 2016, 11:10 am

Samuel Thoughts Others

Ferrin moved away from Samuel's attempt to grapple, spinning round him to strike him in the back with the pommel of his sword. The knight stumbled forward, turn round just in time to deflect the follow up strike with his shield. Still off balance, Samuel made one last attempt to knock Ferrin over. Lashed out with his armoured foot, striking at Ferrin's shield. It was a solid kick, sure to knock the squire back at least a step. However Samuel's balance was all wrong and the force of the kick was the final straw. The older man felt himself toppling backwards so, trying to make the best of the situation, tried to roll over backwards. His heavy armour and relative inexperience with such manoeuvres resulted in him rolling awkwardly and ending up on his hands and knees.

Samuel quickly held up his hand for Ferrin to stop, the spar was over. His young opponent had beaten him fair and square, but the knight had no hard feelings. Pulling himself to his feet, Samuel grinned at the victor. “Excellent work Ferrin.” Samuel said, reaching to shake the squire's hand. “Well done for not lowering you guard when I lost my blade. If your opponent fears for their life they'll often keep fighting no matter how awful the odds are.” Samuel stretched, flexing his sore muscles. After saying his goodbyes, the tall knight set off for another run round the training grounds. Running in heavy armour wasn't fun, but the strength it would rebuild in his legs and back would be incredibly useful to have. The pace wasn't fast, due to the aches and pains from the sparring, but Samuel was soon breathing hard. The lap completed, Samuel pulled off his helmet to allow more air to get to his face and he started to walk back to his room.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next