Skill: Salesmanship

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Konrad Venger on September 16th, 2016, 9:29 pm

After grading a few threads, I realized that the Skill List doesn't have a specific skill in place for what you could call the commerce sector. People trying to sell fish, or weapons, or skills, or whatever. Maybe this would go under Rhetoric or Persuasion, but the former is more political/emotional and the latter can be used for anything.

I'm talking about a skill that is expressed and catered for those PCs who own a business or a trade and convince others to use them and give them money for said services. So, this is what I have so far.

Salesmanship

The ability to convince other to buy products or services from you. Related to this skill is Rhetoric, Persuasion and Investigation (to better understand a potential customers desires).

Skill Progression

Novice (1-25): At this level the salesman has a slight gift of gab, but has difficulty identifying advantages and overcoming objections. Their pitches are simplistic and their ability to adapt to a customer's concerns is weak.

Competent (26-50): Salesman at this point have been hawking goods and services for a while, and can slip into a relatively smooth sales pitch with any customer. They may know the usual objections or concerns before they're voices, and have a counter ready. At this level the salesman is more effective at selling his product verbally, and making it more enticing to an on-the-fence customer.

Expert (51-75): Salesman here are slick as whale oil and burn just as brightly when they launch into speeches about their product. They have an obvious gift for talking people into buying whatever it is they're selling, and know their product inside and out. They can manipulate their customers with flattery and questions, steering them towards the direction they want, and their sales pitches are both passionate and believable (or, at least, they appear to be).

Master (76-100): Quite simply, this rare breed of salesman could sell stock in Rysol to Wysar. Seasoned, veteran entrepreneurs like them have a deep knowledge of their product and have heard every opposition, counter-argument, query and complaint... and have bested all of them. Their sales pitches are the envy of political orators and they not only know their product, but are adept at switching between multiple wares. Weapons? Ships? Ladies dresses? It all requires the ability to sell, and at this level, a salesman can shift anything.

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Dove Brown on September 16th, 2016, 9:44 pm

How does this interact with Negotiation?

Negotiation is the skill of resolving a conflict through compromise between parties. This includes the fine art of haggling over prices.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ball on September 16th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Salesmanship isn't a skill it is a set of lores derived off of a number of skills.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 16th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Haggle is also a skill.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Attunement on September 16th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Proper channels must be taken for lore and skill progression. Sellin something or doing anything business related isn't actually business and sales alone. Through that there is leadership, negotiation, rhetoric, intelligence, Mathematics, organization, Socialization... The list goes on for "x" related scenarios. Try to fit the skills into those when awarding a grade as just salesmanship doesn't cover it, and it would be a headache to those already developed players who have not been awarded the skill.

As ball has stated lore is more important here.
Attunement
Retired Staff

Words: 2551
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2016, 6:03 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Aoren on September 16th, 2016, 10:24 pm

This is just my two cents, take it or leave it. I mean no disrespect and I can see where the inspiration for proposing such a skill comes from however, I think it is unnecessary.

A business transaction to me is a culmination of several different skills. Those skills being the art of negotiating a good deal, pulling off diplomacy in tight situations, persuading an otherwise doubting mind toward your point of view and impressing them with your turn of phrase and wit through the ability to use rhetorical speech. It is my opinion, and solely that, that a combination of these things is what makes a deal sweet or sour. Use them effectively in conjunction with each other along with your craftsmanship and trade skills and that is what makes you a potent businessman or businesswoman.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Konrad Venger on September 16th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Hmm. Okay, all that makes sense: a culmination of several rather than just one, homogenized Skill. Gotcha.

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes