Ballad for the soul [CLOSED]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Ballad for the soul [OPEN]

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 24th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Carefully taking the Tamo daggers Jaelyn looked them over for a few moments before unsheathing the two blades. She held the two daggers silently for a chime, feeling their balance and heft. She preferred more substantial weapons for her use, but could see the advantage of the two small blades.

Carefully returning the two blades into their sheath she offered them back to Ara, "Thank you," she said with a nod of her head as she stood up. Slowly withdrawing her own blade, so as not to startle Ara, she held it aloft for a moment and then turned it around to offer the handle to the other woman, "It is not a fancy or fine blade, but it is well made."

Lifting her eyes from the sword to Ara she gave a faint smile and shook her head, "I would not be bothered by your playing, if you wish to stay. As I said, you play well," to be truthful she hoped to hear more of Ara's music, but it did feel a little strange to be listening to music in the Stone Garden.
Jaelyn Baroth
Alt of Alenias, Devoted Squire

Words: 144214
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Niahara Erskine on January 24th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Ara was glad to see that Jaelyn did not scorn the two blades; after all their use paled in comparison to the sword the woman held. After examining the daggers for a while Jaelyn returned them to Ara who in turn placed them at their place in the violin case. As soon as Jaelyn took out the blade Ara gazed at it with a little longing in her eyes; she did not know why, as she hated violence, but seeing the blade made her long to hold it and wield it with the grace of a knight. There was a secret part of her soul that yearned for it...

Deciding against holding it as she did not want to prologue the desire to wield such a weapon Ara smiled and shook her head slightly. "I dare not hold it as I am clumsy with weapons larger than my small daggers. However thank you for showing it to me. It may not be fancy or expensive, but it holds a little charm of her own. After all apparently all blades hold inside them a piece of their crafter's soul."

Closing her eyes and inhaling sharply she nodded to herself, knowing what tune she would play next. "If you truly do not mind I shall play another song." Picking up her violin and wielding it delicately she played a tune which told the tale of a sword, a sword created for a friend. Once there had been two orphaned boys, best of friends who grew up together. Once became a knight, the other a blacksmith. The blacksmith decided to forge a sword for his friend, the best there was, so he would always be protected in battle. The sword endured many throughout the years: practice, duels, hunts and wars, yet it never faltered and never failed its master. It remained strong and sharp like the bond that united the two friends.

As soon as the tune was finished, Ara placed her violin in her case again and smiled. The song was one of her favorite ones, for it told the story not only of a sword, but a friendship stronger than anything in the world.

Niahara Erskine
Wandering violinist

Words: 24379
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Dlight on January 26th, 2011, 6:23 pm

In the peaceful silence that usually accompanied the Stone Gardens, strong and confident violin began singing throughout it, taking Dlight by surprise. His hiss came quietly before he was soothed, focusing on the source of the music and the tale of it. He walked slowly towards the violin, finally coming upon an oak tree accompanied by the violinist and her companion.

She stood at average height, wearing a curious black dress with what resembled spider webs along the sleeves. Her violin was held with delicacy and played with ease, the song sounding like it had been practiced many times before. The girl was not a master like Sina, the experienced owner of Wildwood Music, but she played without doubt in her skill. Was she human, he wondered? Her skin was pale and her hair a deep black. Her eyes seemed most strange, though-- maybe she was part Symenestra.

The girl beside her was certainly human, though, and seemed to fit in with the environment of Syliras. Her hair was cut short and plain, features strangely hardened for such a young woman. While the violinist seemed to be the picture of femininity, Dlight would dare to say that the girl beside her contrasted. His attention was brought back to the violinist though, admiring not only the woman but the instrument she played. It looked well-used, but not in a bad way; he would go so far as to say that it was not old, but wise.

Usually, Dlight did not intentionally bring himself into others company, but this was an exception. It wasn't often he came across other violinists, maybe he could learn something about the instrument from this woman. When she finished her performance, the Zith did his best not to appear startling. His wings were around his body, mouth loosened from it's usual tight scowl of aggravation at being out in daylight. He stood a fair distance away, not wanting to come any closer until he knew that the women were aware and okay with him being there.

"I came to Syliras to find music," He said to them in greeting once he was noticed, a small smile coming to his lips, "it seems I came to the right place." Dlight's gaze continued to stay on the violinist, although he wasn't only addressing her. "Your song was refreshing. I tend to only play tragedies."
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 26th, 2011, 6:49 pm

As Ara started to play Jaelyn carefully returned her sword to its sheath, doing her best to make sure that it did not make any loud sounds. She remained standing as she listened to Ara play, a soft smile touching her lips as she listened to the song. There was no sadness to this story, but it did bring a bit of sadness to Jaelyn's thoughts. To have such a friend as that... but she had a more important goal to her life.

As the music finished she heard the sound of steps on the ground, and turned to look at the man who approached. Her eyes widened slightly as she noticed his appearance, she could only guess he was a Zith, but she did not gasp or reach for her blade. The Knights taught of tolerance, and all were welcome with Syliras. If this man was content to walk peacefully amongst humans then there was no reason to treat him with distrust.

As the man started to talk to Ara Jaelyn took a small step back to allow them to talk easily with each other. It seemed the man was another musician, and there was little she could contribute to such a conversation. As she stepped though she glanced at Ara, wondering if the woman was comfortable with the man's presence.
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Niahara Erskine on January 26th, 2011, 7:06 pm

As soon as she heard footsteps in the Stone Gardens, Ara understood she had another listener present. However she did not raise her head in curiosity to look at the newcomer rather took her time and allowed him to speak first. Upon hearing that he had come to Syliras to search for music she smiled and tilted her head upwards glancing at the stranger with calmness and curiosity.

The man's blue hair and midnight black eyes caught her attention immediately together with the wings that were tucked at his back. She pondered whether he was a Zith, for they were the only race she had heard of to have wings. However she tried not to betray her surprise and answered in a calm voice, letting nothing disturb her.

"I am quite drawn to tragedies as well... they tend to bring out the true face of those listening to them as opposed to joyful songs who give those who listen a reason to mask their true feeling and appear happy. I am unsure whether I made much sense." She glanced at him again and decided to introduce herself and maybe learn more about this new musician. "My name is Ara. I am pleased to make your acquaintance."

She glanced at Jaelyn and saw her take a step backward; she wondered if it was due to the nature of the newcomer or to the desire to leave a little space for them as the knight or knight to be had no real interest in music apart from listening to it.

Niahara Erskine
Wandering violinist

Character sheet

Postby Dlight on January 26th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Ara's words took a moment for him to understand, but once he made sense of them he nodded in agreement. "Dlight," he said in response, the name always feeling more natural coming out of his Zith lips rather than his ethereal forms. "Pleased, as well, to make your acquaintance. I've studied music for the past seasons, but only now am starting to play. I'm drawn to violin," The words were spoken carefully, Dlight still unsure about his feelings on what he considered his mission in life, "I hope to master it enough to please my God."

The step back that the younger woman took didn't go unnoticed, but overall Dlight was surprised by the small reactions they displayed towards him being Zith. He was grateful, and felt lucky in fact that the girl that hadn't introduced herself hadn't drawn her sword. His gaze turned towards the one that hadn't spoken, "While I came seeking music, I also seek company. Please join in, if you wish. You were here before me."
Last edited by Dlight on January 29th, 2011, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dlight

Character sheet

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 26th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Seeing that Ara seemed comfortable with the new arrival, and that the two of them had an understanding of music in common, Jaelyn relaxed. Giving a polite smile to Dlight she bowed her head politely before she spoke, "A pleasure Dlight, I am Jaelyn. I may have been here first, but I do not know music as the two of you do. Thank you for the consideration though."

Maybe she should return to her duties and leave the two to talk. While she had enjoyed Ara's music she didn't know what else she could say, and certainly didn't want to make the conversation awkward. Then there was the fact that there was much training she could be doing at a time like this...
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cecile Xyhura on January 27th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Cecile watched as the two conversed. She tried to keep to the shadows as she wasn't sure what to make of them yet. Once the weapons had been put away, she kept a sigh of relief from escaping and continued to watch. It was then that Ara began to play again. This time it was a more uplifting song about the power of friendship. She played it as if she had practiced it a great many times before, so perhaps this song was one of her favorites. Judging by Jaelyn's expression, she also seemed touched by the music.

Cecile was beginning to wonder if she should leave when a third person entered the scene. This new man terrified her. He towered over her by more than a foot, he had strangely colored skin, and had creepy dark eyes. His leathery wings complemented his monstrous image easily. She had no idea what kind of man he was, as she lacked knowledge of other culture, but she nonetheless prepared to run. Cecile watched warily of this newcomer, until he began to speak. He claimed he was looking for music. As things went on, she saw he wasn't looking for trouble, and he didn't seem so bad. While she had accepted him, she still felt tense. Hopefully this wasn't one of the races with heightened senses.
Last edited by Cecile Xyhura on January 28th, 2011, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecile Xyhura
Hopeful Minstrel

Words: 5178
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2010, 12:44 am
Character sheet

Postby Dlight on January 28th, 2011, 1:45 am

Dlight nodded to Jaelyn, understanding that it was up to her whether or not she felt she was needed elsewhere. There was a brief moment of silence that was almost uncomfortable, but not for himself, nor Jaelyn or Ara it seemed. The Zith visibly stilled, his eyes scanning the area around them. Had he imagined it?

Dlight had distinctly sensed fright, had smelled the sweat, had heard the hurried breath of someone nervous. He closed his eyes, breathing in deeply and holding his breath. Closely, he listened for anything other than the two humans in front of him; there was the light breeze, and in the distance the loudness of the city. Nothing out of place, but Dlight was sure...

He focused further, not liking that he was having such a hard time finding the source of what he'd felt. It was the brightness of the sky that was hindering his abilities, Dlight was sure of it. A sudden shift to his left caught his attention and he brought his gaze that way, feeling that he was being watched. Nothing was in that direction except for a small collection of bushes and shrubbery-- would one actually hide there?

"I believe we have another visitor..." He announced to the women in front of him with a voice of curiosity and disbelief, his Zith mind still trying to wrap around the concept that someone would hide in a place as expected as bushes and not anticipate being found.
Last edited by Dlight on January 29th, 2011, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dlight

Character sheet

Postby Niahara Erskine on January 28th, 2011, 7:50 am

Ara smiled and nodded hearing Dlight's instrument of choice was the violin as well. She hoped they could practice one day should her new acquaintance desire so. Jaelyn looked as if she was thinking of leaving and doing other things so Ara turned her blue gaze towards her and asked in a hopeful voice. "I hope you are not planning on leaving quite yet. I understand you may have work to do, but I really value your company. Please don't leave."

Suddenly Ara thought she heard something... looking around there was nothing to see, however a distinct rustle seemed to have floated in the air. She shrugged until she saw Dlight was focusing on finding something or someone. After a few minutes he announced that they had a visitor and the girl gazed at him with curiosity.

"In the bushes, perhaps?" Ara asked neutrally and turned to the bush that appeared to have moved earlier "Would you not like to come out? It must be incredibly uncomfortable to sit in a bush."

Niahara Erskine
Wandering violinist

Character sheet

PreviousNext