Ballad for the soul [CLOSED]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Ballad for the soul [OPEN]

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 28th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Jaelyn blinked at Ara's request, surprised that the other woman had asked for her to stay, and then gave a soft smile, "If you wish. I don't have work to do, but there are always skills and training that I could work on. Nothing that needs to be done immediately though, so I can still stay."

When Dlight mentioned they had another visitor Jaelyn turned and looked quizzically at the bush. She thought she had noticed something there earlier, but at the moment she couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Still, there was no reason to doubt the Zith, and so she called out, "There is no reason to hide, especially here in Syliras. If you wish to join us please, come out."

She was curious who this person was. There was no real reason to hide in Syliras, unless you were doing something wrong or illegal...
Jaelyn Baroth
Alt of Alenias, Devoted Squire

Words: 144214
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cecile Xyhura on January 28th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Things seemed to continue without a problem, but as soon as the thought of heightened senses crossed Cecile's mind, luck turned on her. All went silent before her eyes as she watched things unfold. The strange man began to focus unnaturally on something, perhaps her. She prepared to bolt once again, cursing herself for letting her guard down in the first place. Then came the words that announced her defeat. "I believe we have another visitor..." Dlight said. Soon after, the other two women turned to her hiding spot, both asking her to come out.

Slowly she stepped out, grabbing her case as she went. She put on her best face as she turned to the audience. now that she looked back on it, she wondered why she hid in the first place. She gave a smile and apologized. "Sorry about that, I guess I was being over-cautious for nothing. I'm Cecile, nice to meet you."
Cecile Xyhura
Hopeful Minstrel

Words: 5178
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2010, 12:44 am
Character sheet

Postby Dlight on January 29th, 2011, 6:19 am

OOCSorry I just realized I've been typing Ari instead of Ara!
Dlight's head cocked to side as a very short girl emerged from the bushes, carrying along with her yet another violin. A smile graced his lips in brief wonder at the luck he was having today. Not only did he meet one musician, but two, and both using the exact instrument he was interested in. He glanced over to Jaelyn, watching her for a reaction. She seemed to be the only one that wasn't a musician-- but Ara wanted her around, so she'd hopefully stay.

His usual expression returned, lips automatically dropping into an uncomfortable frown at the intensity of Syna's light, a sheen of sweat on his wings and skin even if it wasn't as hot as the Summer. "What curious luck," Dlight's voice sounded both ironic and grateful, "yet another violinist." It made him wish that he had brought along one as well.

Was the girl as trained as Ara, or just a beginner like himself? Was she perhaps a master? Cecile looked to almost be around the same age as Jaelyn, yet was noticeably more feminine and short in appearance, making her look younger. Dlight had learned long before not to judge anyone by age, and although he doubted a master of violin would hide in some bushes, he didn't cross out the possibility.
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Niahara Erskine on January 29th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Ara glanced at the newcomer and at her violin case. It looked slightly wornout like her own; perhaps Cecile had been training longer than she had been and could give her a few pointers should they ever practice together. Ara knew very well she was only a beginner; the two songs she had played had been practiced by her over and over again until she finally got them right.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Cecile." Ara nodded to the girl. "There really is no reason to hide in the bushes." The girl smiled and sat back down on her stone gazing at the three people who gathered around. "So... what now? Should we have a music competition and have Jaelyn be the judge." she laughed and smiled at her new friend.
Niahara Erskine
Wandering violinist

Words: 24379
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 29th, 2011, 10:13 pm

"A pleasure to meet you Cecile," Jaelyn said with a bow of her head, "I am Jaelyn," though thinking back, Cecile might already have heard her name.

Ara's suggestion caught Jaelyn a bit off guard, and she blinked at the blue eyed woman in surprise, "Ah, well I do not know if I would be much of a judge. My training has been in more militaristic things, and I'm sure you would all play quite well. I doubt I could pick one to be the best."

She gave a polite smile to the gathered group as she tried to think of something all of them could do, "Perhaps we could," her voice trailed off and she frowned slightly as she found few options in her mind. Amongst the other squires this is the time she would normally suggest training or practiced, but she doubted any of these three would be interested in such things.
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cecile Xyhura on February 1st, 2011, 12:40 am

Cecile was surprised at the warm welcome, especially since they now knew she had been spying on them. Introductions finished, things suddenly turned silent. It was an awkward sort of silence soon broken by Ara, who suggested a music competition, judged by Jaelyn. At first this made Cecile begin to worry about the skill of the other violinists. Did Ara have more masterpieces like that up her sleeve, and she still knew absolutely nothing of Dlight. Eventually, she just accepted it and decided to try her best regardless. "Sounds good to me," She said with enthusiasm.

She turned and saw an unsure Jaelyn pondering something with a frown. She didn't want to force her to do something she didn't want to do, so she began to reconsider. Before she said anything aloud, though, she thought it best to wait for Dlight's response.
Cecile Xyhura
Hopeful Minstrel

Character sheet

Postby Dlight on February 1st, 2011, 2:44 am

Dlight would have loved to participate, but didn't have his violin with him at the moment and so was stuck with only witnessing. "I know more of music composition than of actual violin, so I will judge also." He looked to Jaelyn, comparing her to the other females. She seemed to be much more skilled in combat than anything else.

"And if you don't mind Jaelyn, perhaps a spar afterwards? I'm only skilled with hand to hand combat, I'm afraid." He stopped and thought for a moment, pondering whether it was against the laws of Syliras.
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Niahara Erskine on February 1st, 2011, 5:26 pm

Ara was half joking when she proposed the competition, but now she was glad it had been accepted. She really wanted to hear Cecile sing; unfortunately Dlight didn't have his violin with him, but he had decided to judge as well so no one was being left out. For that Ara was glad...

Ara turned towards Cecile and smiled at her. "I afraid I'm only a novice still and the song I played are the only ones I truly master. Since everyone has already heard me play would you mind awfully much to do the honors. I wouldn't want to disturb the others with poorly played music and I can learn from you." Ara truly believed that everyone can learn from everyone even a master from a student and such hated trying to sell herself better than she was. She knew fully well what she was capable of, she knew she was far from being a virtuoso of the violin and she had long ago decided to do her best and learn as much as she could from everyone.

The woman gazed at Jaelyn and wondered what she could do to entertain her new friend more than with music. She smiled brightly and remember how she had managed to send her daggers in the center of a target a few days prior.
"Jaelyn perhaps we can throw daggers at a target late if you'd like."
Niahara Erskine
Wandering violinist

Words: 24379
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on February 3rd, 2011, 6:48 pm

Jaelyn was surprised that no one seemed to object to her being the judge, or at least one of the judges with Dlight joining her. Even more surprising was that both Dlight and Ara were interested in practicing martial things with her, though both were things she had no real knowledge in. Of course, that meant that practicing them would be even more beneficial to her so she could learn more for the future.

“I would be honored to practice with both of you,”
she said with a soft smile to Dlight and Ara, “Though that is definitely something that shouldn’t be done here in the Garden. As for judging," she turned her eyes to Cecile, "I agree with Ara. Would you mind going first Cecile?"
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cecile Xyhura on February 7th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Cecile was somewhat relieved in learning that Ara was a novice, but she still felt nervous about going first. Dlight had offered to assist in the judging, so, being a violinist as well, she hoped to get some good constructive criticism. Then there was the problem of singing. Should she try something new and attempt to tell a story through the music, or should she do her best to sing despite having a terrible singing voice in her opinion. She stood there pondering in indecisive frustration for quite a while. Eventually she realized the others must be getting bored.

She took her violin out of it's case and assumed a playing position. She paused for a moment putting her thoughts in order, then began. Cecile began with a soft, slightly solemn tune, which evolved into something more fast-paced. It turned out she was too nervous to sing, so she chose a wordless piece she personally liked and knew quite well. She felt as if it gave things a dramatic air. After a while, she was finished, and was nervously awaiting a response.
Cecile Xyhura
Hopeful Minstrel

Character sheet

PreviousNext