Award And The Featured Character For April 2018 Is...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

And The Featured Character For April 2018 Is...

Postby Gossamer on April 1st, 2018, 8:18 pm

Hello Fellow Mizaharians!

Keeping with our tradition, the Founders Circle and Regional Storytellers are proud to announce that the Featured Character of the Month of April 2018 is Ashka! This lovely half-Svefra is a wonderful addition to Syka and one of the more 'normal' characters in the game. Askha is a quiet delight who tends to post on the weekends. Please join us in welcoming her to the elite club of Featured Character! His interview is below!

The Interview

1. Ashka is described in her CS as being an unmarked Svefra. How has that impacted her? Does she want a mark from Laviku? Or has it turned into a very pivotal RP point for your PC?

Ashka is a Svefra-Drykas mix. Though she has spent time with her Drykas father, her main attitude is that of the Svefra she's spent more time with. Her lack of a mark is one of the major aspects that's shaped her. It's a very old, deeply buried hurt and one of the rp reasons behind being in Syka in the first place. She both wants to have grown up as a normal marked Svefra and to give Laviku a very sharp piece of her mind for "rejecting" her. At this moment in time I'm not looking to get her a gnosis of any kind, though she may look for ways to adapt around the lack of a mark.

2. You use NPCs in a fascinating way. More specifically, Chaya is constantly with you and your PC is responsible for her. How does using an NPC change your RP or impact it? I honestly see you playing two PCs when you play Ashka because of Chaya… do you feel this way as well?

Chaya was deliberately created to give Ashka someone to react to and interact with even in solos. In bigger cities, I'd be more likely to use random, nameless, one-use NPCs, but I knew going in that there weren't any of those in Syka, so - enter Chaya.

Chaya's existance means that Ashka doesn't get to go wandering off to explore the jungle, or heading into the unknown on quests and adventures, because that would mean either abandoning Chaya, or taking a child into danger. Instead, she works, and builds, and goes fishing, and hangs out with people. Her adventures are smaller ones, but no less fun to write.

3. Describe what you get out of roleplaying? Be specific? What does it give you back or do for you?

I get to try out other lives - those of my characters. It's just fun, most of the time.

4. What has been one of your favorite threads to date? Why was it your favorite? This could be something you wrote or something someone else wrote. Just tell us about it.

I think it would be A Trickle of Knowledge. It's a flashback thread where Ashka is learning a bit of basic Wilderness Survival, and also a glimpse of her life among the Svefra. It was fun to write, but it was also a challenge of writing skill, staying in character while packing in a flood of information and at the same time trying not to bore any readers.

5. What is your favorite part of Mizahar? What keeps you coming back numerous years?

I get to write things here that I wouldn't elsewhere, and see progress in both my character's skills and my ability to write them.

6. Does Ashka have any long term goals or dreams? Tell us about them. If she doesn’t, why not?

Ashka's deepest wish is to find a way to go home to the sea without being a burden on anyone else. She doesn't believe it's possible, so she tries not to think about it. If she can't go home, she wants to run a cloth business that does everything from growing the raw fibre-plants to producing finished clothes.

7. What is the worst thing your PC has ever done in a thread? What’s the best thing that’s ever happened to her?

I think the worst thing was running head first into a giant bat. Best thing though, was finding a set of magic ice-cubes. Cold drinks forever!

8. I love that your PC is a weaver. Did you go into writing about this knowing about weaving or has it been something you’ve had to learn along the way? I feel like in reading and grading your threads, I’ve learned a lot about weaving as well. Tell us a bit about this and how you research or put your real life experience to work on Mizahar.

Mostly I learned it along the way. I've had a mild interest in spinning and weaving for some time, but no hands on experience. I don't set out to research a particular thread, I just devour everything vaguely relevant, from tutorials to books to documentries, digest it thoroughly, and it come out reshaped into something that fits the thread and character.

9. Everyone is always fascinated by the inspiration for character creation. Do you remember, even though it was several years ago, what your inspiration for Ashka was and what gave you the idea for the pc in the first place?

It was just under a year ago, actually. I decided to make a character specifically for Syka, so I began by running my eye down the crafts that would fit there and choosing weaving. I prefer to play characters that have lost something in their pasts, so I took Ashka out of her home setting on a ship , dropped her in the jungle, and gave her the basic skills to survive there. The rest developed as I played her.

10. Ashka lives very simply. She doesn’t seem to covet things so much as she covets experiences. Can you talk about this aspect of Ashka and how it plays into your roleplay?

Ashka's spent almost the whole of her life packing everything she owns into something she can either carry on her back or cram into a tiny cabin. It hasn't been a life that encouraged collecting things - but she does gather up pretty things from mother of pearl to glittering crystals. In addition, experiences are something that can't be taken away, unlike items. It isn't so much that she doesn't covet things, more that she hasn't yet adapted to the idea that she can have things and keep them!

11. Here’s your soap box question! Is there anything you want to talk about in regards to your character and or the game itself? You have an audience so feel free to jump on the soapbox and talk a bit about anything you want!

Play in a way that's fun for you. If you enjoy writing something, chances are that it will shine through and the reader or rp partner will enjoy it too. If a city isn't fun for you, don't feel you have to rp there, no matter how much people try to "persuade" you to join it. Same with thread partners and styles. No matter what you may hear, there is no one true way to write. If someone's style clashes badly with yours and makes things less than fun - go have fun with someone else instead.

That is all.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rook on April 2nd, 2018, 3:36 am

Congratulations Ashka!
ImageImage Elias Caldera
Rook
Ever Watchful

Words: 120230
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on April 2nd, 2018, 3:40 am

Congratulations!
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Nieve Glass on April 2nd, 2018, 4:38 am

Congrats, Ashka! You've been a delight to see around Syka, and I can't wait to read more of your stuff. :D
Nieve Glass
Feathery feline

Words: 99031
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2017, 3:10 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby K'irr Darkwater on April 2nd, 2018, 10:31 am

Congrats! I'm so glad you are getting the recognition you deserve <3 I've loved reading your threads and admire your consistency when it comes to posting and being an active member of Syka :) Looking forward to seeing where things take her!
K'irr Darkwater
king tide

Words: 20892
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2017, 3:48 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on April 2nd, 2018, 11:35 am

Great interview! Congratulations on a well deserved piece of spotlight.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ashka on April 2nd, 2018, 12:49 pm

Thanks, all of you. I try. :D
Ashka
Spinning between two seas

Words: 114863
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Alona Halloran on April 2nd, 2018, 8:56 pm

Congratulations on the feature! I'm very glad to see you up on the homepage. :D
Alona Halloran
Player

Words: 29090
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Allassanachassanya on April 5th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Ashka, you're a star! Congrats on the award, and I especially loved your soapbox. :)
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)