Solo [The Midnight Gem] Family Legacies

Kelski receives an unexpected gift and learns of her family.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] Family Legacies

Postby Kelski on July 29th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Timestamp: 75th of Summer, 518 A.V.

It was an early morning for Kelski. She’d gone for a flight over the beach when she’d woken up, needing to get out and stretch her muscles. Her brain often didn’t want to work unless she was warmed up and had stimulated the Eagle side of herself. Kelski didn’t know if natural eagles were prone to patrolling territory or not, but she indeed was. The Kelvic felt like she wasn’t ‘in the know’ unless she took a few turns over Baroque Bay and leveled out to circle the city at least once to make sure all was well. She often avoided the slag heap, the air not to her liking, but after she’d flown at dawn, the Kelvic could settle down and work most of the day without having restlessness. The focus after a flight was amazing to her and invaluable to getting work done.

So she flew… and was shocked… absolutely shocked… when she returned to go land on the balcony and found a crate on the deck. There was no sign of anyone having been there. She landed by the crate, shifting to her human skin at the last moment to hit the rough wood with a smack of her bare feet. Kelski read the writing on the shipping grate and found it addressed to The Midnight Gem c/o Kelskanisha K'etir. The Kelvic blinked, staring at the last name curiously. The truth was, she had no last name, no name at all other than her given one. Why was someone giving her one?

The Kelvic slipped into her workshop and got a simple metalsmithing pry bar and gently began to pry open the crate. It was enormous, far large enough to house a body if necessary. It took some doing to pry the lid off and unveil the insides but when she slid the heavy wooden top to the side, she studied the contents with surprise.

There was a sort of little wooden tower some of the fancier homes had on them nestled inside. Kelski tilted her head, looking for a word …. Cupola…. It was a cupola and tinted the same weird bluish purple the brick and beam Midnight Gem wore. Past that, nestled in the straw around it were three more things. The first was a metal structure that Kelski was able to pull free immediately. It was a weather vane topped with an eagle. The eagle looked just like her and seemed to tingle in her hands. She set the copper thing aside, finding it truly beautiful and pulled out the next thing. It was a book… a beautiful book thick and with a carved leather cover bound with iron. The title read “Architectrix” and in flipping the book open, Kelski briefly scanned the contents and saw immediately that it was indeed a magic that breathed life into a structure with the combination of a mage and another sentient building’s life force. She glanced at the Cupola and reached out, touching it and feeling the same hum of energy from it that the weather vane had. The Cupola had windows on four sides and Kelski thought she caught a glimpse of something moving in it. Blinking again, she almost reached to pull the heavy wooden structure free until a letter slipped from the pages of the book. Kelski set the book aside, picked up the letter, and carefully broke the wax seal and began to read.

“My Dearest Sister.

I have been looking for you for years. I only recently traced you to Lhavit and there found a Jeweler who claimed to have been apprenticed you to him to teach you Jewelcrafting, much to my amusement and pleasure. Our entire family tends to run towards metalsmith mages so it does not surprise me you are working your own metal and creating things of beauty. It was from him I learned you were captured into slavery, sold to a far-off cesspool, and had earned your freedom and started to make something of yourself.

Had you still been in chains I would have come for you immediately. However, my search has left my own business and life unattended in some time so knowing you are safe for the moment, I’ve sent you a present to assist you in your survival and success in Sunberth. Guard these gifts well, because one of them is your very own niece, Ember, one of my many children… a wayward girl of only a few months old but one I could tell would be prime for an adventure and not one suited to staying home with her father in our crankly old family home.

Speaking of our home… K’etir Keep has sent you a present of its own. Guard the cupola and weather vane well and mount them firmly on the roof of your home at your first oportunity. Inside the spine of the book is the last item you will need… a gifted sliver of K’etir Keep’s heart. Awaken your home, Kelskanisha, and let it feed from your magic and protect yourself and those you love. I will come for a visit the soonest I can, which will probably be after the first of the year. I’d love for you to return home for a visit as well, to meet the rest of your family.

I want to write more but some things should be told in person and explained face to face. I will tell you how sorry I am that you were taken and we lost you. I know the story you were told from your Lhavitian Master and it was not true. Our parents did not sell you into slavery though that is where you ended up. You were taken from us forcefully and we’ve looked for years since. You have an entire family that loves you, needs you, and would welcome you home at any moment.

Know that.

And please care for Ember like she was your own. She will grow fast, have a short life, and may not be what you expect. But she is an adventurous sort and not one that would be happy at home. I told her of her long lost aunt, the legend of our family, and she offered to accompany this offering to you.

If you are not a mage by now, my baby sister, after this you will be. Do not fear it. Embrace it. Magic is in your blood and you are drawn to it and to mages by your very nature. Ember will help you with things as well. Like all of our family, she is a caregiver. And though she is young, she will grow fast, burn bright, and live a short life. Make it a beautiful one. I have other daughters, but none are so sharp as she is. I picture her a lot like you must be, Kelskanisha.

I hope this letter finds you well… and you pay heed to everything I say.

Your loving brother, Kalistan K’etir.”

She read the letter twice… and had started through it a third time when she noticed that the movement inside the cupola had surfaced. A tiny black mouse sat perched on the cupola, radiating Kelvic energy as clearly as if it were saying hello. Kelski stared at the mouse, frowning, because she had a feeling that this was a pivotal moment and afterwards she’d never eat mouse again.

“Hello Ember… according to this letter I am your Aunt Kelski. Will you make yourself welcome here?” The Sea Eagle said… her face still full of questions even as she studied the little mouse. The black body shimmered, dissolved in a swirl of colored lights, and reappeared as what looked like a small eight-year-old dark haired girl.

The girl reached into the cupola, pulled out a simple child’s dress, and slipped it over her head. Then she smiled, her smile dissolving into an all out grin, and said ...

“Hello Aunt Kelskanisha.”

Word Count: 1322
Last edited by Kelski on July 30th, 2018, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelski on July 29th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Kelski studied the little girl her mouth opening once, then twice, as if she meant to say something and then finally did not. She tiled her head instead, studying the young girl and looking astonished. The child smiled, sat down on the edge of the crate, and swung her little legs. “Father sent me because I’m pre.. pre… precocial.” Ember announced, tossing her head and grinning. “He said I wouldn’t do well at home with my brothers and sisters. And since he found you and found you weren’t in danger, he sent me to you. Along with a seed from K’etir Keep. You are going to build another aren’t you? The old man said you would. That us K’etir’s can’t resist.” She said with a grin and hopped off the crate. She began digging in the cupola and ended up pulling out a small duffle bag that looked like clothes. “I brought my own things but I lost my red ball somewhere in the crate. We probably won’t find it until we get all this stuff unpacked.” She said wisely, then tapped the book.

“Put the cupola on the house with the weather vane. It’s the safest thing to do. Then go read the book and utilize the sliver. I’m going to go explore and make myself at home… maybe pick a room.” She said happily, skipping off to leave Kelski staring after her. The little girl darted past a young man leaning shirtless against the door that lead into her workshop. She was fearlessly swinging her backpack and humming under her breath. His black hair was askew and his eyes were full of questions as he watched the girl pass.

“Kelski?” Ebon asked, pushing off from the doorframe and walking towards the sea eagle. Kelski met Ebon’s eyes and glanced at the crate, and then back at the night lion. “I have a family, it seems…. and that was one of my nieces. My brother sent this… and evidently so did his residence. We need to install it on the roof but I have no tools… no block and tackle to get it to the roof, no rope. I feel strongly that we should follow his instructions and get it installed rather than leave it like it is in this crate.” Kelski said, touching the weather vane that bore her image and feeling its almost electric tingle up and down her arm.

Ebon looked thoughtful and nodded. “I’ll run to the market. Get a few tools, rope, a pulley… we’ll p ut it up then.” He said, studying Kelski quietly. The Sea Eagle didn’t know what to think. She kept glancing at the doorway and back at the crate. Finally nodding, she walked to the workshop, retrieved a pouch of coins from the vault and gave them to him. “Get all that… but don’t linger. Don’t tell anyone about this. When you get back, we’ll need to haul it to the roof and get it set up. It’s something called a ‘seed’. She said thoughtfully, then took the book, unwrapped it, and began to read.

The night lion hurried off. Kelski took a seat on one of the lounges off the workshop on the deck still guarding the crate and began to read.

It is said that people infuse their own energy in the places they live. Over time, those places take on their personalities. Mages have discovered ways to augment this process and make it fast and infused in a deliberate passage of intelligence from mage to structure. This process is called Architectrix. These structures mirror their makers temperaments and its only with time and separation do the Architectrix structures gain a measure of independence. The stronger willed and more intelligent the maker is, the stronger willed and more intelligent the structure. Structures can be anything… houses, castles, ships… anything.

Architectrix mages are caretakers and stewarts. They are parents to their structures and bond with them in deep profound ways that can impact whole communities. While this magic can be unstable and dangerous, it can also result in an incredibly protective and resourceful structure that acts as a home that can transform itself subtly without detection in communities to more closely meet the needs of its owner. For example, if company comes to visit, a well established Architectrix can easily provide guest rooms on a full time or temporary basis, making more than enough room for the required upswing in population within its walls. On the cautionary side, if a structure takes a dislike to its inhabitants, it can turn on them. These magical structures have even been known to murder its inhabitants outright.”

Kelski lifted her head and stared at The Midnight Gem. If they breathed life into it, would it like them? Would it accept them? Would it shelter and transform to their needs like the book suggested Architectrix structures were likened to doing? The Sea Eagle tried to picture The Gem as a living thing and suddenly it was something that felt so incredibly right to her.

She closed her eyes and bowed her head, looking inward, to that voice that always guided her. Kelski cleared her mind, let her thoughts settle, and felt the book across her lap and the cupola and weather vane across from her still nestled in the crate. Her awareness stretched outwards, open, seeking, and felt a spark of something, almost like a tingle against her awareness. Kelski relaxed and simply felt it, simply let her mind range over it, and decided after a long long time it was potential, nothing real or tangible yet.

Kelski remained like that, her head clear, her mind open, until a small cool hand touched her knee. “Aunt Kels… why isn’t there a room for me? Each room has stuff in it!” A small voice said softly, almost worried, and then added… “The entire house smells like cat. Should I be worried?” The Sea Eagle opened her eyes and set her mercurial gaze on her little niece. She started to speak but the little one cut her off. “You have eyes just like Daddy.” The Kelvic mouse said, wearing her human skin.

Count: 1028

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on July 30th, 2018, 2:12 am

About that time Ebon reappeared. He was touting a Handyman’s Toolkit and some block and tackle with a big rope attached. He set the toolkit down, glanced at the roof, and laughed. “Who wants to climb and set this in place?” He asked, hefting the big pully that would assist in getting the Cupola onto the roof. Kelski glanced up, rummaged around in the kit until she found a hammer and a bunch of fastenings that looked like it could hold the cupola and shimmied out of her clothing. As an eagle, she grasp the hammer, the fastenings, and beat wings into the air until she circled The Gem and landed on the roof. She dropped her tools, shifted back into her human form, and leaned over the edge of the roof and began working big iron nails into the wall until the tackle and block could be well supported.

Meanwhile, Ebon and Ember managed to pluck the cupola out of the crate and together with Ebon doing most of the heavy lifting, got it up to the balcony. Kelski flew down, got the block and tackle, and flew back up attaching it to the structure… then she flew for the rope, retrieved it, and shifting once more back into human form on the roof, threaded the rope through the pully system she’d secured and tossed it down to Ebon. He cut off a section of the rope, tied it around the Cupola as a guide rope, and then fastened the main rope onto the cupola and used its other end to start drawing it up to the roof. Ember helpfully tossed the loose guiderope up to Kelski and she used it to guide the cupola on its way up and as a means to haul it up to herself once she got the cupola on the roof. It wasn’t a big thing, just bulky and awkward… nothing they could have managed to wrangle up there climbing onto the roof via ladders by hand.

Once it was at the eve of one of the peaks, Kelski was easily able to pull it over and wrestle it out onto the middle of the roof where she perched it on the pitch at the top of the V. It looked spectacular. Then she retrieved the hammer and nails she’d left by the block and tackle and began to nail it into place along the top of the roof. She tossed the rope back down to Ebon when she was done and he secured the weather vane to it. Once that was brought up, Kelski was able to fit it perfectly into the top of the Cupola and lock it into place with a codder pin designed just for that task. It truly was a beautiful addition to The Midnight Gem and Kelski couldn’t help but admire it.

Then she tossed her hammer down off the roof into one of the cushions of the balcony chairs and flew down herself. Ember was there when she shifted and the little mouse Kelvic grinned. “Don’t worry if you didn’t secure it very well…. I can tell you don’t know much about carpentry. It will secure itself rightly enough as it awakes to the magic. Now you need your sliver!” The little mouse girl chanted, dancing happily. She grabbed Kelski’s hand and dragged her down the balcony steps and back to the deck. There she happily pushed the book towards Kelski. “It’s in the spine.” And then dove into the crate to scramble around looking for her ball she’d complained she’d lost earlier.

Kelski reverently opened the book, bending the cover backwards a bit, until she saw a long slender item wrapped in velvet. She pulled it out of the spine where indeed Ember said it was hidden, and opened the cloth. A gleaming piece of something lay on the velvet along with a slip of paper. Kelski couldn’t tell what it was. It didn’t look like metal or wood, but perhaps bone or something similar. The Kelvic stroked the long daggerlike needle of material and studied it closely then opened the piece of paper.

They were vows.

“I enter into this binding with free will and under no compulsion, without any mental reservation or nefarious purpose or evasion. I am a K’etir and we have forever been the Keeper of Architectrixs since the first of our line. By taking this heartwood into my body, I take your wellbeing into my mind. I will put your needs first with the understanding that you will guard me and mine likewise. This is oath of protection has spoken from the first mage who united world magic and divine magic at Cyprus Manor at Kihala’s request. I am following in Vivian Roscanali Champion of Kihala’s footsteps and I will require the same oath and entry into this magical binding of any mage I teach these secrets to as well.”

Kelski scanned the words and held the heartwood sliver up to her eyes. It was as silver as her own gaze. She glanced at Ebon and Ember, both silent witnesses to her actions. Ember nodded approvingly and Ebon seemed concerned. “So they want you to … shove that into your body, Kelski?” He asked, looking upset. Ember glanced at him and nodded.

“It’s always the way its done. It will connect her to this building… what do you call it? The Midnight Gem? And as she does so, she must recite the oath.” The little mouse said firmly, as if she were certain. Kelski trusted her. She trusted her because the proof of her trust was the letter, the book and the sliver and seed themselves. The Sea Eagle glanced up at the cupola, just visible above the pitch of the roof in the form of the soaring eagle.

Kelski glanced at herself, seemingly trying to decide, and the mouse stepped forward. “Father has his in his arm, not facing outward but against his body. It is less likely damaged or found there deep in the tissue next to the bone. Shove it deep, Aunt. It is part of the process… trusting to do it right. Put it right along the inside of the big bone, where none will feel it.” Ember said, sounding as if she’d been instructed to say such things for it was obvious that she was a bit young for true understanding of magic and the psychology of oaths.

Kelski took a deep breath, glanced at Ebon, and lifted her left arm. She thought of it as a wing and hoped the splinter wouldn’t be uncomfortable flying. She went high, on the inside of her arm, below her armpit but angling the splinter where it would pierce her skin and lodge deep. She took the edge of her shirt which was long discarded off to one side and wrapped her right thumb in it so the splinter would not pierce her digit, then braced the splinter against her thumb, used the thumb to push, and drove the splinter deep into her arm angling it along the bone. She cried out because it truly hurt, burned almost, as the flesh of her body and the substance of the heart sliver interacted. There was a hiss and she could feel its presence in her body for a flare of a moment. The burning grew and her eyes fell to the paper.

She recited the oath, her words loud and clear, and the burning immediately stopped and all feeling of the foreign object lodged in her flesh vanished. Instead there was a burning warmth throughout her system that filled her with a sense of self and a sense of other like she’d never experienced before. Kelski trembled, still clutching at her arm, her bloody thumb and ruined shirt dropping to her side suddenly as the wound sealed over and vanished in her arm. Her eyes glowed for a moment, glittering with power before they settled into their normal luminous molten silver gaze.

“I feel it.” She said softly, suddenly, with utter conviction. “I feel it sleeping, slowly ever so slowly waking. And its… its oh so hungry….” Kelski said, glancing at Ember in confusion, uncertain what one would feed a newly awakened Architectrix structure.

“Its normal. Father said you would feel it and feel its hunger. It’ hungers for its own awakening, its sentience, and its essence filling the building. He said to tell you to read the book. It will teach you how to talk to it, how to be made aware of its desires, and to tend to its needs like you would a child until it comes into its own.” Ember added, rising to her feet. She tilted her head and looked Kelski up and down. “In our family, when one of us becomes as you have just now become its customary to celebrate. We throw a party, a huge one, and celebrate with a feast and dancing for days. The Keep always knows when its going to happen because its pantry becomes overly full and all the cooks began to start cooking unaware why they are doing it. Aunt Kelski…. what are we going to do to mark the beginning of your journey?”

Count: 1540

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on July 30th, 2018, 3:20 am

Kelski simply smiled. It had been a long drawn out season and a celebration sounded good. “I don’t feel like celebrating though, not now, not until The Gem is truly awake – if this book is fully truthful – and can join us along with all the people that live here that aren’t here. Kynier and Aer’wyn should be here as well. And don’t forget Ren. We did a lot of work today, good work, and I’m going to celebrate by sitting right here and reading as much of this book as I can. I’ve just recited an oath I don’t understand. I've just made promises I am only just realizing. And my arm feels so full of power that it's going to burst. I need quiet, I think, and time to reflect and to listen to this building and see what it truthfully needs.” Kelski said quietly, picking up the book and wondering what to do with the crate.

Ember had found her red ball, buried somewhere in the hay that was filling the crate and cushioning the items that came within it. She was quietly playing with it, tossing it back and forth and chasing it. Ebon joined her to play catch and together all three of them moved down to the deck where Ebon could toss the ball far out into the yard for the little energetic Kelvic to chase.

Kelski settled into one of the lounge chairs, opened the book, and turned to the history. She carefully began to read, putting together the links between Kihala and the manor that was the first of its kind so many many years ago on the edge of the Gyvaka Swamp. She learned of Vivian and how she was Kihala’s champion. It made so much sense that the Goddess of Life had breathed been responsible for the Cyphrus Manor that was mentioned in her Oath. She understood now more about why the oath was necessary the more she read, learning even that her own creator Marcus Kelvic, owned an Architectrix in the form of Iron Rock where all Kelvics came from.

Kelski read on, learning that intimations were rare and almost never done as hers had occurred. It had worked though because she could feel the building around her, slumbering but restless in its sleep. Its awareness was creeping down the walls, like an ooze originating from the Seed they’d planted on the roof in the form of the cupola and weather vane. She wondered how fast it would awaken, and only learned it would rely on how much she interacted with it and her own strengths as a mage.

The Kelvic didn’t consider herself a mage, so she wasn’t sure how that would work. But the book urged the mage to listen to the building, talk to it, encourage it, and awake its sentience. The building would develop a mind of its own and its experiences would be shaped by the people living within it. So Kelski learned they should be kind, patient, and show love. Kelski wasn’t sure she understood love. Did she love The Gem? The Kelvic wasn’t sure, though she knew she appreciated its security and what it meant to her freedom. It could be love. Was it? In a lot of ways, the Kelvic felt her emotions were stunted, especially by humans. There were humans that had shown her kindness and she was drawn too emotionally and intellectually. Kynier came immediately to mind. But so too did she consider Farris a friend as well.

Would a building be easier to love? Kelski thought so and in fact didn’t hesitate at all to think that. It would depend on her completely. It would take its ques from her. As she read on, she realized it would have her personality for a while… perhaps a long while… and that ultimately meant the question wasn’t if she loved others but moreso if she loved herself. Kelski didn’t think picking up a book would lead to such hard questions. Darvin had hated her. She’d thought her family had hated her. Certainly, the Svefra that had owned her after the storm hadn’t much cared for her. But was all that important? Had it made her bitter and angry? No… Kelski didn’t think it had. She certainly had enough reason to be, but it seemed a lot of effort to hold on to emotions that really didn’t serve her.

She liked… no loved… gems and metal. But they were intangible and incapable of hurting her. Would The Midnight Gem love her work as much as she did? Kelski hoped so. But again she wondered how that would sustain the building. Before long, Kelski set the book aside, carrying in inside and setting it on her bookshelf that held only a few other volumes. She shed her clothing once more and walked out onto the balcony where she traded her arms for wings – finding the shift not hindered by the splinter at all – and flew up to the roof to perch by the cupola. There she preened herself, sat companionably by the small structure with its glittering weather vane, and kept it company, listening to its emotions which she could almost hear clearly… and feeding it her own emotions, that of welcome and companionship.

She hoped it was enough.

Words: 887

Ledger Deduction: 20 GM Handyman's Toolkit, 1 GM rope, 5 GM block and tackle = 26 GM

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on August 13th, 2018, 1:17 am

Grading

Experience: Scouting +1, Investigation +1, Architectrix +5, Construction +2, Researching +3, Philosophy +1

Real Name: Kelskanisha K’etir, Brother: Kalistan K’etir Ancestrial Home: K’etir Keep, Niece: Ember K’etir, Architectrix: K’etir Keep Sent Seed and Sliver, Kelski: Was taken as a child, Kelski: Has family that love her, Architectrix: Magic Of Sentient Buildings, Architectrix: Architectrix Mages Are Caretakers & Stewarts, Brother: Has her same eyes, Architectrix: Initation, Architectrix: Bonding With A Structure, Architectrix: Vows, Architectrix: Newly Awakened Structures Hunger, Architectrix: History of the Magic, Architectrix: Cyphrus Manor In Gyvaka Swamp First Structure, Architectrix: Vivian, Champion of Kihala, Architectrix: New structures need a mage to talk to it, encourage it, awaken its sentience. Architectrix: They need kindness, patience, and love.

Notes: Wound In the Upper Inner Arm

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)