PM to join All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Vasin takes up finding a debtor who is just no where to be found

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on February 26th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Image
Timestamp: 39th of Winter, 518 A.V.

Vasin walked through The Seaside Market as he kept an eye out for trouble. He tried to walk confidently and present himself as such. Trying to emulate what that journal had told him. Truth be told he had to keep reminding himself to do so, to posture outwardly in such a way. It was because it did not come naturally to him, and he would catch himself slouching at trying it. Plus, he didn't even know if he was doing it correctly. Regardless, so long as he kept an eye out he should be able to avoid a pickpocket. If anyone bumped into him, that was a sure sign of someone trying something. The market was busy today so that complicated things. But, he was not here for shopping of course. No, Vasin was here to collect for Goldfinger. Seems someone had decided to stop making payments or were running late. Didn't matter, as Vasin would get that money back. Wouldn't be any good if people just thought Goldfinger would let people go. Indeed, a message had to be sent sometimes. But hopefully, this one would go over smoothly and without a hitch.

That's when Vasin spotted it, the shop he was looking for as described to him. It was a general store. Vasin didn't know all the details, and sometimes the details weren't needed. He didn't want to know this persons life story after all. It was just business after all. But, apparently, this debtor had decided they wanted to make it big by selling here in Sunberth. Goods without taxes, and without laws could be profitable. But, either this person wasn't so successful at peddling their goods, or they simply were withholding the money. If they didn't have the money and it was the former, then Vasin would need to repossess what he could to make up for the loss."Hopefully, it doesn't come to that..." Vasin muttered to himself as he stood there looking at the storefront. He stroked his beard a little looking at the lack of a sign. Simple and clean, at least they kept it nice or at least as nice as a shop in the market could be.

Vasin then cautiously approached the place looking in through the window. He could see inside but didn't see anyone. It was as quiet as a mouse in there, and he stood for perhaps a few minutes. Placing his ear up to the glass seeing if he could hear anything. Then he tried the obvious, the door which did not go so well. It was locked as locked could be at this point."Of course, it is..." Vasin said to himself thinking this over. Deciding to try the back he would do exactly back walking around the back. There was a door there, but alas it was also locked. Putting his ear to the door netted him no results this time either. Vasin sighed wondering what to try next."Maybe they are not in? But where could they be then?" he said voicing his questions to himself.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on February 28th, 2019, 12:05 am

Image
Vasin breathed out looking at the back door perplexed as to what steps to take now. Maybe he could try waiting around and seeing if they came by? He rubbed his chin at the prospect as he wiggled the door a little. Patience was a virtue of course, but he didn't really feel like just standing around. If he did that it was possible they could spot him before he spotted them. Maybe a hiding spot would help? He thought as he walked out from behind the shop back onto the street. Vasin wasn't exactly sure what to do in this situation. Maybe he could try and find their home? That was another good bet of course. But at the same time... Wait a moment. Vasin noticed the stall across the street, and how it's owner had been staring at them. They quickly glanced away the moment the two of them made eye contact. Had they been there the whole time? Yeah, they had been Vasin figured as he crossed the street making his way between people.

"Hello there!" Vasin said in greeting making a show of glancing over his wares before looking at the man."Hello. What can I help you with?" the stall owner asked looking a tad nervous."Glad you asked friend." Vasin said placing a hand on the stall and leaning in a little."You set up here often?" Vasin asked the man who seemed hesitant to answer but relented as Vasin stared at him not breaking eye contact."Yeah, haven't moved in a while. Other stalls wouldn't have it ya know?" the stall owner said Vasin giving a slight smile."Understandable. Say..." Vasin said with a pause."You saw the shop owner across the street?" he asked the man who glanced away breaking the eye contact he and Vasin had been maintaining."Not recently." the man said looking back to him."How far back are we talking? Let us just say it's in everyone's best interest that I find them." Vasin said rather seriously.

"Listen, I don't know them okay?" he said Vasin was rather unamused by that response."That isn't what I asked. Come on, what harm can there be in telling me if your neighbor has been around or not. When did you last see them?" Vasin said not liking how difficult this person was being over a simple question."I saw him leave earlier this morning. Took with them some bags. I think he was heading to the docks. Took a few trips." the stall owner said."See, that wasn't too hard. No need to withhold info you know?" Vasin said standing back up straight."I don't want no trouble with Gold Finger okay." the stall owner said as if he had done something wrong towards Goldfinger."That's fine and all, but as far as I am aware you haven't done anything? Anyways, I need to get going. So keep doing nothing." Vasin said before he would start to walk off.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on March 1st, 2019, 12:04 am

Image
Now that Vasin knew that the debtor was apparently moving goods to the docks. Seems that according to the stall owner that they might be trying to flee Sunberth. Vasin wouldn't doubt it, as no doubt many felt that if they left Sunberth then Goldfinger could not touch them. Vasin wasn't about to let them try that feeling out however as he made a quick pace. Moving towards the waterway to catch a ferry across the water. Standing there he realized a second possibility that perhaps made more sense? They could be moving goods from a buy and simply did not have the hands to do so? Regardless, he didn't want to find out which possibility it was. So Vasin set about finding a Ferry to take him to the docks. He found one rather quickly as they offloaded some passengers. Walking up to them he hailed them rather impersonally. Vasin didn't recognize this one, and it was probably for the best if they didn't recognize them either. So he paid his fair, sat down, and they were on their way in this small rowboat.

They were across in relatively short time, but before he left Vasin looked to the ferryman."So, you haven't seen anyone moving a lot of goods from the market today have you?" Vasin asked the Ferryman looking back to them. They seemed surprised but then thought for a moment."Now that you mention it yeah." he said with a nod."Real skinny looking fella contracted me earlier today. Was in a massive rush." the Ferryman said implying they were rude."But I only moved em once. Someone else took them on their return trip." he said with a shrug."Thanks. Uh, did they say anything?" Vasin asked to which the ferryman simply shook his head. In thanks, Vasin flipped them a tip and was quickly off on his way stepping away from the waterway and made his way to the docks.

So that confirmed it in Vasin's mind, that they were moving goods. Which meant he wouldnt have to have a conversation with the stall owner later. So now he just had to keep an eye out for activity. There was a problem though, and that problem was spotting what he was looking for at the docks. Boats came in and out at any time, and he didn't know what exactly to look for. So standing there at the docks he surveyed with his eyes up and down. Trying to figure out a sign of the debtor as he looked over each ship. He sighed knowing this might take some time as he started walking down the docks to get a closer look at some ships. 'If I were a debtor moving goods...' Vasin thought to himself as he took pause. One ship caught his eye in particular, one that he was not too familiar with. It had a deep wide hull and a single large sail with oars visibly stored. Its crew were currently moving an open crate from the dock to the ship in a team lift.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on March 1st, 2019, 12:18 am

Image
Vasin observed the ship that he was unfamiliar with from a distance for some time. He watched as the two crew seemingly struggled with the open crate. They were shouting something to someone on the vessel. Something about the customer being far too impatient? Bingo! That sounded like his debtor! Or at least, it may be a good start to ask some questions. So without trying to draw too much attention to himself, Vasin would start to walk down the dock towards the vessel. Just as they finished loading the crate onto the boat he had approached the two of them. One upon seeing Vasin snorted and spat something nasty into the water."What do you want?" the crew member said crossing his arms while the other one remained silent and stared at Vasin with suspicion. Vasin wasn't sure if they would so willingly give him the information he wanted.

"Have you seen Bivom?" Vasin simply asked trying to not seem so suspicious."Whats to ya?" the crewmember said seeming a bit difficult, or at least want an answer."I'm an associate of his. Came to check up on him and his goods." Vasin said lying about the exact reasons. However, the fact that they reacted to that name meant that this was the ship. That was lucky, lucky in that the ship wasn't already gone. He could have spent hours searching before he found the ship in use. Even if they didn't give info this meant he could intercept them on the way. So that was fantastic in of itself to have found this. The two crew members seemed unsure of what Vasin had said. The one that had been quiet up until this point spoke up."Check up on him ya say? Sorry to say, but he just left." the second one said with a shrug."Well, do you know where he went?" Vasin asked gladly that they were not being too withholding about this.

"Where he went?" the second one asked scratching the back of his head. The other then spoke up once again."He went to go get some things at him home apparently. Just finished loading the last crate so we are waiting on him." they said seemingly annoyed by their tardiness."Ah, well I will go and see him and tell him that you are finished here." Vasin said being rather untruthful once more. Whether or not they believed him Vasin didn't know, but maybe they just didn't like his debtor enough that they didn't care? Who knew, but hopefully they weren't sending him on a wild goose chase. The only way to find out was to head there himself. So Vasin turned around and started to walk off as the two watched him. He had to hurry as well and made sure he found them. Lucky for him the paperwork had included a residence. Unfortunately, he could have saved time if he had just gone there in the first place.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on March 1st, 2019, 12:40 am

Image
So now as Vasin was leaving the bay all he had to do was cross the waterway one more time having been on the opposite of the bay from The Sunset Quarters. That is where he knew that the debtor lived in this case. They lived towards the southern part of the Sunset Quarters so it was actually fairly close to the tent city. As he walked Vasin started to do a little bit more of a jog the urgency hitting him a bit more now. It happened subconsciously as he approached the waterway that devised the bay. Spotting a simple row boat he approached it, but this time he was surprised. Vasin recognized the man who was lounging in the boat. He had seen them a while back. But as they made eye contact he saw they had no familiarity with him. Made sense to Vasin, no doubt they ferried a multitude of people every single day. Couldn't remember every person any doubt."Can you take me across the waterway here?" Vasin asked the shirtless tanned man who sat up."That all? Hop in." the ferryman replied as Vasin would then do so.

Getting into the boat Vasin paid his fair and would sit down as the muscular ferryman would start to row his little rowboat."I got a question. You saw anyone moving any goods over to the docks?" Vasin asked the man figuring it would be a good idea to gather some more information."Sorry, I don't share that kind of information." the ferryman said in a simple manner."You sure?" Vasin asked to which the man looked to him."Very sure." he replied to Vasin in a rather ungrudging manner. This was different for certain, not even requesting money for answers. So Vasin said nothing more as they reached the other side."Good hunting." the man said as Vasin got out."Thanks." Vasin said with a nod as he stepped off not entirely sure about that ferryman.

Now then, it was time to get into the Sunset Quarters and find the home of the debtor. Only dwelling on the ferry ride a moment longer Vasin took off. Taking the most straight forward route possible. He figured if the debtor was going to take a route, they would take the most straight forward one as well. Though Vasin made sure to keep an eye out for more than just debtors on the way. He had to make sure he wasn't jumped or pickpocketed. That would be embarrassing for certain. But soon enough, Vasin saw it after rounding a corner. The small little slum of a building that sure enough was in the spot the information had put it. Breathing out in relief Vasin would approach it just as someone hurriedly came out. Quickening his steps Vasin approached them."Bivom? You know, I've been looking all over Sunberth for you!" Vasin said making sure his annoyance came through in his voice."W-Who are you?" the surprised Bivom said nervously."I think you know who. Came to collect for Goldfinger. He does not like being kept waiting. He also does not like it when people try to run off." Vasin said wagging his finger at them." O-Oh... Wait um... That isn't what I was trying to do at all..." the man said shaking his head and waving his hands."Oh?" Vasin asked with a raised eyebrow."Yeah... I wouldn't leave without paying Goldfinger... Um..." the debtor said as he took off his bag and started to search through it."H-Here! Take it! That's my last payment." the Bivom said handing Vasin a large coin sack."Before you go running off... let's count thise inside." Vasin said grabbing their shoulder. The two of them proceeded to go inside to count the coins.

After counting out the money and finding it to be the remainder of the owed money Vasin would let the man be on his way. Then, he would return to Goldfinger's office with the money. A job well is done, Vasin could rest easy for the rest of the day.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

All Around Sunberth (Job Thread)

Postby Madeira Craven on April 18th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Image
Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!


Vasin

Skills
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Acting: 2xp
  • Investigation: 5xp
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Socialization: 4xp
  • Intimidation: 1xp
  • Interrogation: 3xp
  • Subterfuge: 1xp

Lores
  • Lore of acting tough
  • Work attitude: "its just business"
  • Intimidation: threatening eye contact
  • Investigation: questioning witnesses
  • Interrogation: using intimidation
  • The mysterious ferryman: won't give information
  • Subterfuge: changing the story

Awards & Retribution


Notes
I'm a sucker for a good investigative mystery. I love seeing Vasin the oh-so-slightly amoral thug on the job, getting answers and scaring shopkeeps. I look forward to more. :thumbsup:

As a side note, please have this unsolicited writing advice from someone completely unqualified to give it. :p

I noticed your dialog can get messy, but its an easy fix! You just start a new paragraph every time you change speakers, and keep the actions perform by that one speaker in the same paragraph. That physical break makes for cleaner reading and lets us readers keep track of who's saying and doing what. It can also shave off some unnecessary dialog tags like he said, he asked, he stated, etc.
User avatar
Madeira Craven
long may she reign
 
Posts: 1398
Words: 1189375
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests