Completed [The Midnight Gem] Bending Ones Body To One's Will V

More morphing training happens and a horrible discovery and a firm decision is made.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] Bending Ones Body To One's Will V

Postby Kelski on February 28th, 2019, 5:18 am

Timestamp: 55th of Winter, 518 A.V.

When Kelski slipped from the roof with a yawn, she decided she needed to get some rest. Slipping into her bedroom she found several Kelvics already asleep in her bed. Among them was a pure white Sunberth brat named Snowflake. Kelski grinned, knowing it meant Gilthas was going to be here for breakfast if not sooner. Crawling in, Kelski used Ebon’s thigh as a pillow, stole some blankets from Ember and was asleep before she had a chance to truly reflect on the day. It had been a busy one and it had left Kelski somewhat exhausted.

She slept the night through and when she woke in the morning all she was left with was the brat. This time Snowflake was sleeping on her chest. Kelski stroked the furry rodent and studied her form. Rats weren’t much different from humans, and even the huge brats were alike in how their hands looked. The fur threw off some things, but their bodies were streamlined and their legs shorted and joined slightly differently than peoples were. Kelski made notes of the differences as she ran her hand from Snowflakes snout to her tail, tracing the spine and finding it far longer than hers. Snowflake’s snout was different and so were her teeth. Their skulls were shaped completely differently than humans; longer, the teeth a different shape.

A whole form was complex. There were so many parts that needed studying and duplicating. Kelski looked with her eyes, her hands, and eventually she called up auristics and flooded her awareness with djed to look with her magesight. She was stretched out on her back, Snowflake curled up on her chest, and as she stroked the silky fur of the brat, she felt how her bones came together, how her joints worked and even how when she moved, they articulated. Kelski marveled in the complexity of life. How could she reproduce this form?

How did she move from Sea Eagle to Human? Kelski just did it because she knew each form intimately. She was a Sea Eagle and she was a Human. Both were who she was. Could she also be a Brat? Kelski stroked Snowflake’s sleeping form again and the brat stretched, rolled, and stuck all four of her feet in the air. It was such a feline gesture. And it could be a human gesture too because if she was jointed differently, wouldn’t her actions look a little like a brats?

Maybe that was the key. Maybe it wasn’t that each form was so different. Maybe it was that each living thing on the planet was more or less the same, just variations on a similar theme. Kelski looked thoughtful then, tilting her head and wondering at the thought.

Even though The Midnight Gem was made of beams and brick, Kelski had so much in common with the structure. Ebon was no different than Ember, really, even though one was a cat and one was a mouse. Even Mercy and Caitlyn were no different than Kelski. They were all people at the end of the day. The sense of sameness flooded Kelski’s mind and she realized it was all the same energy. All. The. Same.

Last edited by Kelski on May 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelski on April 27th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Kelski gently rocked the snoring Brat off her and stretched out. She cleared her mind and thought about what she felt under her hands. The Sea Eagle thought about what she saw with her eyes and her magesight. Never before had she tried to alter her entire form. She didn’t know how to start… so she started with what she felt first. Soft fur needed to sprout beneath her hands across her entire body leaving only her paws and nose naked. She concentrated on its feel, how soft it was, the layers involved, and how warm the coat would be.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the fur sprouted.

It burst through her skin fueled by the djed and filled in thick and luxurious just like Snowflakes. It was something shed stared at over and over, touching with her hands, feeling with her djed.

The djed knew what to do. It formed what her hands and eyes and magesight had seen, duplicating the texture and feel of the fur almost exactly to the creature still slumbering beside Kelski. The color wasn’t white though. It had Kelski’s characteristic ombre coloring… starting out dark at her skin and fading out to ivory white at its tips. She looked like a black coated human with frosted fur as she concentrated, not opening her eyes.

Next, she worked on her hands and feet, altering them to be what she saw the Brat having… long sharp claws, curved gracefully naked digits that were delicate and graceful but strong enough to haul her form off the ground and climb a wall as if it were nothing. Her bones moved subtly next. It wasn’t painful, but it was awkward.

It took time as they reformed into the shape of a brat. Her face changed too, her mandible stretching out, her skull altering its shape. She fattened out, shortened, and though her body mass stayed the same, it flowed into a different form until two brats laid side by side. Kelski’s tailbone extended, thickened and became a true tail, something that would balance her and keep her balanced as she moved.

Kelski was significantly larger than Snowfake. The brat itself was probably forty pounds, or the size of a larger medium sized dog. Kelski was still human sized… a hundred and twenty pounds. She was more the size of a big dog. She blinked a few times, opened her silvery eyes, and rolled over. She stretched slowly, feeling her new form, memorizing what it was like to move within her newly shaped skin. It was… awkward. She tripped even trying to roll over, and whimpered as she tried to move.

That… was a joke. It wasn’t something she’d planned on having problems with. Moving in the body of a Brat wasn’t easy. It was far different than her human form and far different than her eagle form. She was down on all fours. Neither of those forms required four feet to balance on. Kelski awkwardly ambled across the bed, trying not to trip over her own feet, and hesitated in the jump down.

Snowflake would sail right off the bed if she was awake. Kelski wasn’t so brave. She sat down on her rump, turned around, and backed off the bed falling hind-legs first, clinging to the bed covering until she could stretch her back toes down and touch the floor. Then she set both back legs on the floor, backed up slowly, and walked the front half of herself down off the bed.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on April 27th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Once on flat stone floor it was easier to figure things out. As long as she thought about it, her brain was definitely getting in the way of walking. But if she emptied her mind and just thought ‘go forward’ the new form obeyed a whole lot better. She walked a big cautious circle around the bedroom, looped through the master bathroom, and then took the space at a trot. She finally ventured out into the study, looped around the reading chairs and then walked into the common area.

Ember was making bread in the kitchen and turned to see who had just come in. She stopped short when she saw Kelski, blinking a moment, then noting the coloring. “Aunt Kelski?” She asked cautiously. Kelski paused, her whiskers twitching on her nose, and gave a careful long nod. “Your coloring gives you away. Have you seen yourself?” Ember laughed, grabbing the mirror off the table that was still sitting there from Kelski’s use yesterday and held it out to her.

Kelski shook her head, sat back on her haunches, ran her hands across her itchy nose rat-like then peered up into the mirror. Her lips peeled back, she huffed and laughed. She looked extremely “Kelski” like in her appearance. Shaking her head, she ambled over to her niece and gave her a lick on the nose. Nevermind she was a giant brat, having trouble moving… and extremely cautious in her new form.

Ember, predictably, threw down what she was doing, stripped off her clothing, and shifted into her mouse form and immediately began to give Kelski lessons on how to move. They chased each other around The Gem, climbing on furniture, running up and down steps, and just in general moving until Kelski was more comfortable. It was so odd, practicing being a brat.

Snowflake eventually woke up more towards evening, joined them in their romping and Gilthas found all three of them playing when he arrived for dinner… a dinner that no one had cooked. Laughing, he shook his head, the trio not realizing what kind of sight they’d made to the mage. Snowflake was a stark brilliant winter white. Ember was a black as night mouse, and Kelski was some sort of transformational color in between. He studied the three, then left them to their play, rolling up his sleeves and taking over the kitchen to prepare a meal.

Gilthas had enjoyed several seasons in Kelski’s company and was used to the fact that while she was a mature Kelvic and a Master Jewelcrafter, play was good for anyone. He checked the pantry, threw a roast together that was large enough to feed everyone, and set it into the hearth oven to roast for the rest of the afternoon. By the time he was done, the Kelvics were back in their normal form, sans clothing, and had Snowflake on the couch between them, petting the exhausted elderly brat.

“You’re learning quickly. I didn’t know you knew Morphing.” He admitted, looking at the Kelvic curiously.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on April 27th, 2019, 11:17 pm

“I honestly have just started learning it. Snowflake seemed like a good model. I wanted to learn it because I could alter my hair, nails, and even my mouth and lips to look more human, to pass as normal.” She said softly, grinning as she drew her knees up and glanced at him. “Do you want us to get dressed?” She asked, glancing at her niece.

Gilthas shook his head. “No, you aren’t bothering me. Seeing lovely female flesh is a pleasure… especially ones that aren’t trying to seduce me. People are too overly worried about how others see them. You Kelvics are refreshing to hang out with. I had no idea you were so delightful when I first met you Kelski. I have always preferred animals to people.” Gilthas said, unashamed. He looked is fill, enjoying their company and their unashamed delight in life. He never made an inappropriate move either. Which both girls appreciated.

“Did you make us dinner, Gilthas? I thought it was our turn to cook?” Ember said, sniffing at the air and just now realizing the scent of roast meat was in the air. She could smell herbs and vegetables cooking in the roasting pot as well.

“Yes. Looks like your getting a seal roast for dinner. I cooked with what was there and the kill looked fresh.” He said, smiling. “And don’t worry about who’s turn it is to cook. I enjoy coming here. You are slowly introducing me to the concept of being among people again… even family.” He said, looking thoughtful.

Then he glanced at Kelski. “How did you learn of Morphing?” He asked, curiously.

Kelski smiled and then looked a little sad. “For a while there was a wonderful man that lived with me. He was gentle and peaceful, but he had lost his arm. From Riverfall, Aer’wyn was an Akalak. His people saw physical disability as a weakness and he learned Morphing from a Woman in Riverfall he eventually married. He left me his journal of notes and I studied it thoroughly. He had a darker half though… these men are twin-souled. His darker half killed his wife and I think he was growing too comfortable here for the darker half hated mages. So he took himself away.” She said softly, still sad over missing Aer’wyn.

“I think the journal was a last gift… a parting thing. Someone once tried to take it from me, saying the magic was dangerous and they had to learn it to see if it was appropriate for me to learn. But I tricked them… burned my notes on it and not Aer’wyn’s actual journal. I was so angry at that person, though I cannot remember them or their face. I’m glad I kept it. It’s going to be a gift to me… the ability to be normal. I see why Aer’wyn valued it so much.” She said softly, then looked at Gilthas tentatively.

“What is it?” He asked, quirking an eyebrow.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on April 27th, 2019, 11:19 pm

“I was up on the roof. I taught myself how to build the inner lids an Akalak has to see with Infravision. It allows you to see living things as heat…. The world turns into shades of the spectrum of the rainbow. The Midnight Gem lights up with life. The whole building is easily seen as alive. It will just take one Akalak or one mage using Morphing to know The Gem is alive. She is not safe here. We need to leave. I didn’t know when I gifted her with life this would happen." She said softly as a way of explaining.

Then she continued. "There are other things that are likely to be as equally tell-tale. I just don’t know what the tells are. I need to find a new city to open a new business in. I want one that’s safe for mages… safe for Kelvics… one that no slavery is not welcomed. I just want a better life. I want one with books and learning and craftsman like myself. I want a better place for The Gem. She’s like my child. And anyone else that wanted to come with me. I think I have enough coin to move. Especially if I sell the buildings and business.” She said softly, her silver eyes wide and hopeful.

Gilthas didn’t say anything for a long time. He took a deep breath and then smiled slightly. “I feel a certain protectiveness over you, Kelski. You freed me and I would never leave you alone in this world until I know you are safe. And I know you are not safe here. Had you not been here, the moment you freed me I would have left Sunberth. It is the cesspool you speak of it being and life here is harder than it should be. I’ve been researching and talking to others. Had it not been for you, I would have departed for Zeltiva immediately.” He said softly, studying her.

“Zeltiva? You would have left but are only staying because of me?” Kelski said carefully. She leaned back, wrapped her hands around her legs, resting her chin on her knees… and flexed her fingers. She felt vulnerable and so her nails grew… without her even thinking about it. Her long black nails stretched out, thickened, and hardened into true eagle talons. She gripped her legs hard with the talons, comforted by them, not breaking the skin but protectively holding herself with weapons that would defend her.

Gilthas noted the talons. He knew the conversation was difficult. But in way he was proud that Kelski was using Morphing so easily… transforming parts she already knew intimately effortlessly. It was a good sign. His Djed Daughter made him proud.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on April 27th, 2019, 11:22 pm

“Yes, I’ve been talking to sailors. The city is not far from here, under twenty days by boat. I wanted to pack up my workshop and move there, perhaps teach history or magic. Magic is allowed there. It’s accepted. They don’t have a good jewelry store either. Slavery is against the law. There’s a government and it’s a clean city full of ancient stone buildings and flowers. You could move as well… your whole shop and household. You could buy an old estate there overlooking the sea and have a business in town. We could do the move together. And…. I know Mosa is here more than she is home at her tent. You should also bring her. From what I hear there is a Denval Quarter there and maybe some of the old people thriving there would know her. It might be the change she needs as well.” He said softly, urging the Kelvic to think over what she was just starting to realize.

“I don’t have to think about it. I want to do it. How soon do you think we could go?” She asked softly, glancing around speculatively at The Midnight Gem and glancing downstairs as if the showroom. The Kelvic was thinking how much easier it would be if they all moved together. She’d need to talk to Duncan, Vasin, Anja and Alexander… but if they all wanted to go, she’d take them.

Ember piped up at that moment. “Your family lives close to Zeltiva. You’d be closer to home.” She said softly, thinking about things. “In fact, there’s an estate there we used to own. It hasn’t been in our family for a long time, but its on the south side of the city on the beach and its beautiful. It used to have acres with it as well. Your parents lived there. It was your grandparents estate on your father’s side.” Ember said softly.

Kelski stared at her a moment, then glanced at Gilthas. She shook her head a moment. Then she offered him a half smile. “What’s been holding me here?” Kelski mused. She ran a hand through her wildly untamed hair and winced when she realized her hands were still talons. Deliberately she dismissed the magic and shook out her hands until the nails looked like her normal long back glittering gems again.

Gilthas didn’t say anything but both Ember and him shared a wordless look.

“A new start in Zeltiva would be amazing.” Kelski said thoughtfully, then began to thoroughly and incessantly question Gilthas on what Zeltiva was like, who the people who lived there were, and if it had anything unique about it.

All Gilthas had to say was one simple thing for Kelski to decisively make up her mind. “It is the center of learning in Mizahar. The University of Zeltiva is a shining gem among its cities. There is more knowledge preserved in Zeltiva than perhaps any other city I know of.” He said softly.

Kelski sighed in happiness.

Count: 3075

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on May 27th, 2019, 3:05 am

G R A D E S
Morphing +4, Auristics +1, Logic +2, Strategy +2, Leadership +1

Morphing: Brat Shape, Morphing: The Key Is All Life Is The Same, Morphing: Understanding Things Look Different That Are Magical, Logic: The Midnight Gem Isnt Safe, Zeltiva: Far Safer Than Sunberth, Zeltiva: Ancestrial Home, Zeltiva: Center Of Learning In Mizahar, Zeltiva: Has a University, Gilthas: Will Join Kelski In Going To Zeltiva Along With Ebon and Ember and Mercy and Caitlyn. Leadership: Deciding To Move

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)