Location [Syliras Entrance] The Main Gates

Please post here first after registering!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: [Syliras Location] The Main Gates

Postby Sturlin on March 25th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Timestamp: 8th of Spring, 510 AV

Garbed in his leathers with gloves and hooded cloak concealing the worst of his scars Sturlin led Francis and Mr. Pickles over toward the guards. When questioned Sturlin lowered his hood and assisted them in inspecting his animals for disease or other ailments. After a brief conversation he informed them that he was there to purchase supplies and spend a single night in a real bed.

Soon he was within the city, the bald head of his cat peeking out of the flap of his backpack as he and Francis followed the directions given them by the guards. "A brush, some oats, some proper materials for snares..." he mumbled his shopping list under his breath as he fingered his remaining mizas.

The key to power is focus

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

The key to peace is power
Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Words: 133806
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 5:19 am
Blog: View Blog (13)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Aythar on March 28th, 2010, 1:32 am

The silent platter of rain filled Aythar’s ears as he walked alongside the supply caravan. A quick job as a hired hand had seemed an easy fix to his problem; food and transportation to Syliras in exchange for making sure the caravan arrived safely. What he hadn’t anticipated was a rainstorm. What had initially seemed a steal had turned into hours of grueling work pushing the wagons through mud so deep he had been forced to put his sandals in his backpack in fear that they would be lost. It had been over an hour since the rain had subsided into a sprinkle, but the rain falling onto his shoulders seemed to be gently mocking him. A stark contrast from the Eyktol region; the rare rain clouds there had seemed nothing short of a blessing from the gods.

As the caravan reached the gates of Syliras, Aythar’s immediate impression was one of disappointment. Although it was true that he had never before seen anything quite like the gatehouse, he had somehow imagined it much larger and better protected. Only two guards stood watch outside, along with a small number of archers atop the walls itself.

Lovely weather today, isn’t it?” one of the guards asked in a bored tone. Those simple, sincere words meant that Aythar took an immediate disliking to him.

Not when you’re trying to get three wagons full of top-of-the-line cured meats through.” The caravan leader replied. “We’re lucky we had so much help, or else we probably would have had wait for the rain to subside.

After a quick inspection of the goods, the knight signaled for the gates to open. No one even seemed to notice Aythar as he passed under the gates and into the city.
Aythar
Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

Words: 11806
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2010, 7:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Arya on March 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm

It was dawn when we reached the gates to Syliras. Master told me to go back a few hundred yards and shift. He hated when I was an animal and went into a populated area. He also did not want attention drawn to us. He pulled off my coller and handed me my clothes.

I quickly shifted and put on my soft leather armor. Then I put on my beautiful black cloak that had been a gift from Master. I ran back to him as fast as my human legs would carry me and gave Master a huge hug. Although I had forgotten my strenghty yet again and we ended up falling on the ground.

"Arya get off!" he said while laughing and hugging me back. "Also remember that while we are in town you are my beautiful wife. It is important we keep up that cover while we are here. Also my name is Tristan so please please don't call me Master any longer."

"Well I will always call you Master because you are my Master. But while we are here I guess I can call you Tristan for a few weeks." I said, happiness deflating. "Tristan hand me my sword please." I moved to grab it but the smart horse side stepped.

"Rain come here." he told the horse. It walked up to him and allowed him to pull the sword and sheath out of the holder. "Stupid horse." I muttered sticking my tongue out at it and taking the sword from Tristan. I put it over my shoulder so I would be able to pull it out quickly if the need arised.

We walked to the gates and after a few minutes he let us through. Thus begins our adventures in Syliras.
I'm not a dog so don't call me a mutt. I'm not uneducated so don't pretend like I am. I have feelings just as any human would. Don't hurt Master or I will have to hurt you. Master is something wrong because theres water coming out of your eyes. Master is so cute when he's sleeping <3. - Arya
Arya
Player

Words: 12948
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

[Syliras Location] The Main Gates

Postby Maea Waydrop on April 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

The 15th of Spring, 510 AV

Through water-darkened branches and green leaves still glistening with rain, sunlight poured through the treetops that bent over the wide road into Syliras. Pretending she wasn't terrified of the prospects laid out before, Maea breathed deeply, aware of the fresh tang of dampened oak leaved crushed beneath her feet. Beside her, Cobweb shifted in place, eager to move on. The light morning's rain seemed to have invigorated the dappled Frostmarch gelding, and he seemed as eager to enter the city as Maea was reluctant. And why wouldn't she be? Who could say what horrors lay beyond Syliras' solid walls. Of course she had never heard a firsthand account, but what little she did know made her wish she dared flee back to Ravok.

But if the last few weeks had taught her anything, it was that nowhere else could be safe. Even the untouched wilds of Sylira weren't safe from the Defiler's reach. The horrible creature that had attacked her camp was proof enough of that. Poor Cobweb still bore the beast's mark, though the wound had healed very well, all things considered. Only a small scar would remain, Maea hoped, and the horse's heavily dappled pattern would help to conceal what was left.

It could have been so much worse.

But it wasn't, she reminded herself. They had escaped intact and hadn't lost anything in the process save a handkerchief, leaving whatever that horrible thing was far behind.

She hoped.

Cobweb snorted suddenly, startling Maea out of her reverie as he danced away from a fly. Maea sighed and patted his gray shoulder, still dark from the early rain. He wasn't usually this excitable, and something about his mood made her wish she could share his suddenly lively attitude.

But she couldn't. Before her lay a vast, walled city filled with people so regimented as to be rendered mindless servants of their masters, the Syliran Knights. Children put in stocks for laughing without permission, people thrown in prison for the very barest of infraction... and all in the name of Order. How a city could function like that, she had no idea, and she normally wouldn't care.

She wouldn't care, except that this was the only place she could hopefully be safe from all she had fled. She had no skills fit for earning a living, save a smattering of martial ability and what horsemanship she had learned on the road. Not that she was above mucking out stalls if it earned enough to live on.

For one horrible moment, she toyed with the idea of selling Cobweb. The gelding would certainly fetch enough for her to live on for some time, but...

...But he was all she had left. No, whatever she did, she would have to earn enough to keep him properly boarded and shod. But what? Perhaps she could hire out as a courier? The city was certainly large enough to need such. Not that she knew where to even begin to look for employment.

Drawing a deep breath, Maea squared her shoulders and reached behind her head, drawing up her dark auburn hair into a tail and securing it with a leather thong. She fidgeted for a moment with her worn vest and even more worn shirt before giving up on them. Her wardrobe would have to do as it was for the moment, though she would have to spend some of her remaining mizas on new attire before she could hope to find employment. Resignedly, she swung herself into Cobweb's worn saddle and urged him toward the city ahead. Needing little encouragement, the horse sprang into a canter that seemed positively cheerful and they were at the city's gates well before Maea was ready. She dismounted as she approached, though she felt much less at ease on foot. The guard looked at her as she approached, relaxed and seemingly unconcerned. He was an older man and for a moment she was reminded of her old mentor.

"Name?"

Maea steeled herself and spoke as simply as she could, hoping to hide any accent that would betray her as a citizen of Ravok.

Former citizen.

"Maea, sir."

The guard raised a gray eyebrow. "Full name."

"Waydrop," she supplied, with an unexpected sense of whimsy. It wouldn't do to give her family name here. She had no right to it anyhow- no actual relation. Instead, she took a name from a childhood story told to her by Cherik. Her real father, she reminded herself, though it still felt strange.

"Well, Miss Maea Waydrop," the guard continued pleasantly enough. "What's your business in Syliras?"

"Looking for work, sir."

The guard nodded, as if this were a common enough answer, and Maea suppressed a sigh of relief. "Got a place to stay?"

Maea shook her head, hoping he would supply more without her speaking. She was in luck. "Traveler's Row's your best bet. Cheap," he added, looking meaningfully at her worn clothing.

"Thank you, sir." She paused, unsure if she was free to go. It all seemed too easy.

"Eh, you don't look sick. You're not ill, are you?" Maea shook her head and the guard chuckled. "Don't be so timid, girl! I'm a Syliran Knight, not some monster to threaten women!" Maea couldn't hide her reaction at that. This was a dreaded Syliran Knight? The were supposed to be paragons of rigorous discipline! Mindless creatures serving a god of regimented order... not someone's grinning grandfather! Seeing her surprise, the guard smiled, clearly misinterpreting her reaction. "Interested in the Knights, then? You wouldn't be the first young one to come seeking them out. Damn heroic and all. Fighting evil and chaos and all that's well and good, but tell a kid he's gotta work guard duty and you'd think he's being asked to muck out chamberpots!" The old Knight cast an exaggerated glance at his fellow who looked up long enough to roll his eyes before continuing his own inspections. "If it's the Knights for you, you'll want to head to the castle proper. Lots of other jobs thereabouts, too. And if you'll forgive an old man for saying so, once you clean up you should have no problem finding a simple serving job, pretty lass like you."

Maea was astounded at the old man, but didn't correct him. When he was done speaking, she even managed to smile shyly. "Thank you sir."

The Knight waved a hand, eyes twinkling with mirth. "Don't mention it. Off with you then. And welcome to Syliras!"
Maea Waydrop
Player

Words: 5225
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 5:39 pm
Character sheet

Postby Miyana on April 3rd, 2010, 12:54 pm

miyanas horse galloped right up to the gates and had a little trouble stopping, she calmed it down with a lot of talking to it until she finally tied his reins to the bar not far away.

she wandered around the gates looking for potential companion to travel with or anyone who looked like they needed a job doing as she was low on money.

she started to get paranoid after a few minutes that someone was watching her, her hand silently drifted towards her sword and she grabbed the hilt to reassure herself that everything was okay.

she wasnt usually this jumpy, she just wasnt used to civilisation, it didnt seem to like her anyway, she had always been more comfortable to travel by herself. except she thought she didnt really know as she hadnt really talked to anyone properly in her life as she was abandoned for all those years.

she sighed and slumped against the pole that her horse was tied to and took out her pouch of money and counting the little money that she had left.
We dream of hope. We dream of change. Of fire, of love, of death. And then it happens. The dream becomes real. And the answer to this quest, this need to solve life's mysteries finally shows itself. Like the glowing light of a new dawn.
Miyana
Player

Words: 2187
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2010, 10:40 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Aleath on April 7th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Aleath was slowly walking towards the city gates. Next to her was a grey, hairy dog. When she made it to the gates, she spotted a pair of city guards. She sighed tiredly and wanted to go through the gates but the guards stopped her.

"What do you want?" she asked irritably.The guards didn't even budge. "Look, I've been on a long journey already, so please let me pass."

One of the guards stepped forward and asked.

"Sorry...Miss, but you'll have to state your name."

"Aleath." said Aleath curtly.

"And what are you doing here in Syliras, Miss Aleath?"

"Looking for a job, but first I would like to get some sleep somewhere."

The guards looked at each other and then they nodded and let her enter the city.

Character sheet Scrapbook
Aleath
Player

Words: 37223
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Thorn Blackwood on April 8th, 2010, 3:53 am

Thorn was reluctant to leave her beautiful forest and return to the bustling city. She walked out from the shelter of the trees and onto the path leading to the main gates. As she walked down the path she noticed an unseemly amount of people in line.

"Great. Just Great." I muttered as I got in line. After a few moments though the line seemed to dwindle until finally it was my turn.

"Name please." The guard asked. "Thorn..Thorn Blackwood." I managed to stutter out.

"The guard ignored my stuttering and said "What's your business in the city?"

"I want to earn a living." I awnsered.

"You seem healthy enough." He waved me through the gate.
Thorn Blackwood
Player

Words: 5019
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Postby Hildir on April 10th, 2010, 11:32 am

8th Day, Spring, 510 AV

It had been a long winter's journey from Kalea. But he was finally here, Syliras, city of the human-kind. The Isur approached the gate and stopped and looked wearily at the guard on his left.

The guard looked up, "Name?", he asked bluntly.

"Hildir."

The guard seemed to examine him then finally spoke, "you don't seem to be ill. What's your business here?".

"I'm looking to start a new living", Hildir spoke. He waited a few moments then spoke again, "is there a good tavern here?"

"Ah, if it's the tavern you're looking for then you want The Rearing Stallion".

Hildir nodded as a sign of thanks as the guard signalled him to pass, "enjoy your time in Syliras, don't cause any trouble, or it'll be the Syrilian Knights after your arse!", he chuckled at his own remark and started questioning the next person.
Hildir
Player

Words: 2169
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Merikanz on April 10th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Merikanz approached the city gates and was humbled by the awe inspiring amount of people passing by, He wondered to himself if coming back to this place was a good idea. Becoming so lost in thought he bumped into two passerby's and was scolded by the local guard.

"Well at least I have a place here and hopefully I can figure out some form of employment."
He thought to himself, but he seemed confused by the way people seemed to move to and fro without acknowledging each other, fascinated by the this he lost his original train of thought and began to speak aloud to himself contemplating the different races of people as well as how many there seemed to be.

Avarice his other side spoke loudly in his mind to snap him out of it.

"Get moving fool! Stop wasting time."
Merikanz then began his uneasy walk through the gates.

He thought to himself "I wonder how today will go"
Merikanz
Player

Words: 5808
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2010, 5:40 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Kanya on April 10th, 2010, 11:08 pm

The 10th day of Spring, 510 AV

Sighing, Kanya studied the gate before her, attempting to find another way she might enter the city. Several long weeks traveling the plains and Wildlands between her home and Syliras had visibly exhausted the poor girl. She stepped to one side of the road, unaware of the crowd parting around her. No one wanted to risk infection or having their fine clothes dirtied. She wasn’t ill, of course, but she certainly looked it.

Picking at the layers of dirt that covered her bare stomach, she frowned. Everything she owned was dusty and even her cloak looked more grey than green. That didn’t bother her though. Her skin was chafing, rubbed raw by the dried mud, and it itched horribly in the spring sun. If only she could get inside…

The last time she’d attempted to enter the city, the guards had refused to let her within five feet of them. They took one look at her hair, now matted with mud and various grasses, and told her to bathe or scram. The only issue was that she hardly found the city gates without getting lost and she had no idea where a stream or lake might be.

Sighing again, she sat down on her small pack, looking at the city gates. Now what?

Unbeknownst to Kanya, the guards were starting to become uneasy with her presence. She stank like the sewers, her skin was covered in filth, and her hair looked like a harpy’s nest; not exactly a picture of good health. One of them signaled to a page inside the gate. “We need some help here… We’ve got a woman on the outer road who might diseased. She isn’t leaving, and no one is willing to walk over and get rid of her.” The young boy nodded, then ran off to inform his superiors.

Somewhat relieved, the guard glanced back at the woman. It took a moment for the sight to hit him properly. Looking alarmed, he turned toward the spot again, swearing. “Collin, where did that girl go?”

“I wasn’t paying attention. Maybe she left?”

The older man shook his head, grimacing. She had been determined to get inside. There was no way the bratt had given up that easily.

“Alert the knights, son. There’s a good possibility we’ve now got an afflicted running around either in the city or somewhere nearby.”

Above them, a spotted tail disappeared over the rough wall.
Kanya
Ocelot

Words: 4168
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2010, 12:11 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

PreviousNext