[Book] The Fox's Merchant [Pre-Approval]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Lesserage on April 3rd, 2011, 5:50 pm

THE FOX'S MERCHANT SYNOPSIS

A popular children's tale believed to have originated in Avanthal and then spread to all of Taldera and then Sylira. While known worldwide, it remains the most popular in those two regions. In Taldera, it is known as 'The Fox's Merchant', while in Sylira the story is referred to as 'The Merchant's Fox'. The former is believed to be the accurate story title.

The Fox's Merchant tells the tale of an enterprising young merchant who sets off from Avanthal to make his fortune, but gets caught in a dreadful blizzard en route to Karjin and nearly freezes to death, but is rescued by a nearby white fox who has been watching his progress. The fox, a Kelvic that knew nothing of the world, transforms into a beautiful girl and takes him to her lair in a cave, where she nurses him back to health. When the merchant awakes, the Kelvic has shifted back to her fox form and watches him curiously as he awakens.

In the original version of the story, the merchant, having awoken, sees the rare white-furred fox, and realizes there might be profit in capturing one. He persuades the fox that he wants to thank her, and takes the fox back to Avanthal. There, he leads the fox into a cage, and tells her it is a house, where animals live. The fox believes the merchant and gets into the cage, at which point the merchant locks the cage and traps the fox, then takes the fox to the market where she amazes the crowd with her beauty. The merchant sells the white fox to a nobleman for a very high price, and gets rich from the profit, starting a business that brings in a handsome income and gaining a comfortable living. One day, the merchant, strolling about Avanthal, meets an astonishingly beautiful maiden with snow-white hair and beautiful wintry features. He immediately falls in love at first sight and begins to woo her, eventually being successful. The shy maiden marries the happy merchant, and that night, when they are to consummate their marriage, the merchant steps towards his beautiful wife ... and suddenly he finds himself standing, naked, in the middle of a terrible blizzard, held in a giant cage. As he slowly freezes the death, the white fox appears before him, then transforms into the beautiful woman that he married, and shakes her head sadly at him as he perishes in the cold.

In a revised version of the tale, popular amongst Sylirans, the merchant does not take advantage of the fox, but instead takes her and journeys to Syliras instead of back to Avanthal, where he and the fox earn a living performing together. However, a greedy nobleman wants to possess the fox, and sends armed goons to attack the merchant and steal the fox away. The merchant is rendered unconscious in the battle, and the enraged fox transforms into her female form and unleashes a terrible fury upon the nobleman and his goons, killing them all. The merchant awakens then, and sees the fox in her human form. Immediately, he falls in love, and proposes marriage to her. The two then live happily ever after in Syliras, having taken over the nobleman's riches.

~ If approved, I will write either the original "Avanthalian" version or the "Syliran" version, depending on which one you guys prefer!
Last edited by Lesserage on April 3rd, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look closely into every man's eyes. There, you will find a dream."
"Within every woman's eyes, lies an ambition."
"And in each child's eyes is an aspiration."
"Even within a beast, lies instinct."
"And within us all...

... Is a story."
Lesserage
Player

Words: 15190
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 11:54 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

[Book] The Fox's Merchant

Postby Ragnor Matlian on April 3rd, 2011, 6:35 pm

Really enjoy the "Avanthalian" version. Very entertaining and good job.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Rayage on April 3rd, 2011, 7:14 pm

Oooh, both of them are soo good though! I think, but this is me being greedy, that you should write both versions of the tale because, as you stated above, both versions exist though in different locations.

It was a very nice and entertaining story, both sides were. I enjoyed them a lot. So good to see such talent :) Though I think there is a process to getting things submitted 'officially'. Maybe you should look around?
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Berus on April 3rd, 2011, 7:19 pm

I enjoyed both versions, but I liked the Avanthalian Version more! However, it seems a little odd for a children's tale.

I think, since this teaches a lesson, it is more of a fable? :O
^ thanks to Cheshire and Darren =D
Berus
Little Bard

Words: 104483
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2011, 1:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lesserage on April 3rd, 2011, 7:19 pm

Indeed, there appears to be a method to submitting the things, but as there is no other book I can reference to, I am at a loss. o.o

And well Berus, the Avanthalian version is more of a fable, while the Syliran version is more fairytale-like.
"Look closely into every man's eyes. There, you will find a dream."
"Within every woman's eyes, lies an ambition."
"And in each child's eyes is an aspiration."
"Even within a beast, lies instinct."
"And within us all...

... Is a story."
Lesserage
Player

Words: 15190
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 11:54 am
Character sheet

Postby Solomon on April 3rd, 2011, 8:08 pm

There is an official process to submitting such things, and you can find that process here. We would rather you go through said process when submitting an article for review, so would you mind putting this on hold until you get Help Desk approval? Thanks. <3

Here is a book you can use for reference, if you were looking for one that has already been done... or did you mean one that had already gone through the official process?
Solomon
Wise beyond his years

Words: 9399
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2010, 9:14 am
Race: Staff account