[The Garden of Concubines] Festival of Dira

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Re: [The Garden of Concubines] Festival of Dira

Postby Hirem on January 22nd, 2010, 3:56 am

Hirem had to admit that while he hated the Eypharian luxury life, the masks that surrounded his every move were very beautiful. He was no longer thinking in simple bystanders but instead, There's a wolf! Over there is a jackal! He had a fleeting thought that if he was born different, he could grow to love these parties. However, under current circumstances he was indifferent.

When he arrived at the beer table, he quickly grabbed a glass and started to fill it, but then he stared to his right. Two men and one woman, all with butterfly masks. Damn.
He stopped his staring lest someone noticed, and still poured the beer. What to do? I can't ask for them directly... hmm... maybe someone else can. He thought on the situation, even when a little beer overspilled. Mena isn't obliged to help me... but... I do have leverage over another. Quickly, he grabbed the beer, and spilling a bit on the ground, walked back to Mena, and handed her the drink. "Do you know where Liviya is? A man asked me to give her a message."
Last edited by Hirem on January 22nd, 2010, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Akuaysun on January 22nd, 2010, 6:21 am

Silence hung sweetly between them for a moment, an instant where no words were needed as both stood in contemplation of the other. For Aku his eyes continued to scan the event, catching the small disturbance involving the Akvatari that he easily recognized with her distinguishing colors and features. It seemed that no matter where he traveled, Chaelnomyl insisted on crossing his path. He decided that the woman was best taking care of herself this time and declared to himself alone that he would not interfere less her life was on the line and it seemed her peaceful nature would result in an event that was less than pleasurable.

He was brought back to his more immediate guest as she spoke of her acceptance of his view. Had she only known how true the statement was of the man she might have fully grasped the implications of his words. Again Aku smiled and listened with intent as she continued. “Macabre…” The word elicited a soft laugh that floated lightly from the Ethaefal’s lips, its tone a testament to his celestial heritage. “The only aspect of death that saddens me is the despair of others that you speak of, how they cling so desperately to those they have lost rather than celebrating their lives and ascension. I find that so few would rather accept the cycle than fight it, perhaps if more chose to embrace death this realm would not hold near the sadness that run’s so rampant. Live for the day as one never knows when it will be their last.”

Again the peace between them hung impassively, its weight seemingly pulling the pair closer, and while Akuaysun was more than happy observing his partner was not. She commanded his attention, her body moving with the confidence of a goddess, a kind of majesty that even kings would bow before. It drew his cobalt eyes to her, and affixed his gaze upon her, he was now under her spell and could not deny her desire. If any could have seen his face his lips were curled into a slight smile of true pleasure, the first time he had done such since his fall. Following her lead, he trailed, the sea of people that surrounded them drifting away. He did not fuss to the action, or even state that he did not know the dance. Instead he embraced the moment, and the woman, his hands bound in leather softly searched out a place to rest letting her natural curves guide him. Aku followed her lead, letting her grace guide them, taking care to not step upon her gown by relaxing his very soul and reading her movements through his body.

He could not place it, but something about this woman put his heart at ease. The stoic features of her onyx mask perhaps unnerving for some reminded him of the night sky. The occasional glint of her eyes through it like the flashes of the stars that hung within it, and her voice was as silk would be. I am a traveler, brought here by the will of the heavens. I seek truths in this world and as the dance of death is the ultimate truth I could not deny the opportunity myself. My name is Akuaysun, it means beauty of the moon god, a tribute to my father Leth. And you, what name could a fallen star give to a guide?”

The heavens tore and from the area between night and day we fell, to the waters below where we should be reborn and live anew, always separated and forever yearning.
Akuaysun
Leth's Lost Soul

Words: 59383
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Chaelnomyl on January 23rd, 2010, 9:45 pm

The laugh burned the base of her spine and Chaelnomyl couldn’t help but wonder what kind of culture allowed people to treat one another like that. This would have never happened in Abura, or the Council would have taken care of it. Quickly. And then the Golden Wolf continued by insulting her and the god that created them. Well, Chaelnomyl was actually kind of trying to figure that one out, so… Perhaps he was right. Although they did have some redeeming qualities.

His words were drowned out by the pain that radiated up Chaelnomyl’s tail as he pinched it and his friends gripped her arms tighter. She was not one to get angry, and no, perhaps this was not anger – the Akvatari had not really even experienced anger before. The pinch had forced her to whip her tail back at him, fins kicking up and missing him.

The eyes behind that glinting mask actually scared her. A shiver ran through the base of her spine, but something else happened instead of the next plan of how he was going to humiliate or destroy the Akvatari or… well, the gods only knew.

… What the devil was a Chupra?

Chaelnomyl’s head swiveled around to take a look at the man of lesser means and his wood mask that was painted to resemble scales. He wore a robe and nice bracers on his arms. Apparently this was also an Epyahrian. While it was a nice gesture, the Akvatari had absolutely no idea how he was going to fend off the entire pack of them. Her face fell considerably behind the feathered mask. Then Chaelnomyl saw the palm blade and her eyes widened. Now people would be drawing blood over the man-handling of her tail?

She was in shock as he grabbed her hand and led her backwards, wings propelling her for the longest amount of time, unsure as to whether she too should turn her back to the wolves. The foreign words fell on her ears and the Akvatari threw a confused look to her companion, who indicated they should go… with urgency. He took off through the crowd and Chaelnomyl was quick to follow, trying not to fly too high – despite how easy it would have been to escape the entire thing by taking off into the night sky. It would be a dead giveaway, and if they had any projectiles… well... There went her wings?

There was a structure that surrounded the garden that her rescuer slipped into. Having no idea that it was forbidden to guests, Chaelnomyl glanced behind her and then slipped into the room behind him, finding it hard to see. She pulled herself up against the wall and let him catch his breath for a moment. At least Chaelnomyl was a morpher and would be able to hide rather easily if she had to… except not having anything to cover her lower body up with to seem convincing. It would be worth investing in a robe of some sort in the future, she decided.

”Thank you,” The Akvatari whispered, ”That was not something I was expecting at a festival.” Indeed, being assaulted was not exactly something a normal person would have associated with celebration. It wasn’t like this was some dark alley in Ravok after all. Peeking away from the wall ever so slightly to see if anyone else was around, Chaelnomyl would ask, if she saw no one else to be frightened of...

”How long do you think they'll be after us?”

Her ears were open, listening intently for the clatter of footsteps looking for them as she tried to stay as quiet as possible. If they were going to take off again anytime soon, perhaps she should take a look for something to cover up with and get to morphing. What a night this was going to be!
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Colombina on January 28th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Akuaysun:

"Odessa."
Her voice was soft out of reverence for the mystery that was departing. Her ebon face tilted towards him as her dance subdued to a sway.
"A father in Leth, a fallen star and named for the moon..."
Brave hands slipped into his hood touching the nape of his neck. Silvery strands were drawn out and dropped on the Ethaefal's shoulder.
"You have come far," she commented quietly, "But haven't all mortals? Past lives and paths leading to this moment."

She stared at the lock for a moment, considering all it meant.
"It seems both of us will be gone in the morning."
She twirled just beyond reach, her hair brushing against another man's back as it swung.

"Always passing through."

Odessa raised her arms, flourishing her hands to match the chimes of the music. She moved on the edges, just beyond fingertips, returning to a loose embrace as her arms floated back down.

"I'm ever so thirsty," she announced, "Do wait a moment."

The claret color of her dress made her easy to follow with the eye, but bodies passed between them. The shifting scene cut her gestures and steps into disparate pieces. One moment she was standing alone near a golden cask. Then a young girl was beside her, still thin and pre-adolescent. Then came a slim woman dressed in black. Another elaborate body blocked Akuasyun's vision, and the woman was gone and the young girl was on her knees.

Odessa just watched as the girl hunched forward in pain. The black mask expressed no more emotion than her unyielding posture. At her feet a girl was suffering, and no one was witnessing save Akuasyun.

Hirem:

"You're a love, Kalen."
Mena took the beer and gingerly sipped it. Her dark eyes fluttered up at Hirem as he asked about another concubine.

"For Liviya? Our little lioness has another admirer, no doubt."
Mena smiled but did not press further, they women had a talent for discretion when it came to such affairs.
"My guess is she's in the central garden, holding court with curious guests. She has a talented tongue."
Mena let the suggestiveness linger, but the painter was quick to amend.

"What dreadful Mena really means, is Liviya has a talent for rhetoric. She's a storyteller."
The painter returned to her subject, tapping her brush on the canvas to get her attention.
"Now lean back to where you were, Mena, or I'll never get a proper outline."

Hirem was left on his own to explore the heart of the courtyard, a raised, walled garden overflowing with waxy palm fronds and breathing out perfume.
Curious or seeking secretive shade, the guests floated into it. Its slim sand paths were lit with opalgloam stones. Forks from the path turned sharply, hiding each secluded circle until the last moment.

Somewhere near its heart, Liviya sat on a cedar bench under a bower of yellow plumeria and palms, with red safflower springing near her feet. Seven masked guests were pressed into the space, hanging on her every word.

Chaelnomyl

The young man chuckled, "Welcome to Ahnatep."
He lifted up his mask a bit to take a few deep breaths. He added, "Nothing surprises me at festivals. We are a rich city, but we are not a kind one."
He grinned at this cultural joke then replaced his mask.
"The more privileged the villain, the less notice his actions draw."

The young man opened the door a crack and stared into the golden sliver of light.
"Your charming suitor is from a house of the four winds." He turned his head aside to speak to Chaelnomyl.
"Which means he has his own contingent of guards. And they're paid well enough to do some real damage."

Shutting the door again, the young man continued.
"I don't know how long 'til they realize we've left the courtyard. We'll see if they get bored of looking. Plus we're in a forbidden spot, no one is supposed to just stroll into the concubine's rooms. The taboo might keep them out."

The masked Eypharian extended two right hands out of habit, then withdrew one with a laugh. He wasn't used to greeting non-Eypharians.

"I'm Sel."
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Akuaysun on February 1st, 2010, 8:32 pm

Aku chose each word that escaped his lips and as Odessa deciphered their meaning he gave a soft internal nod. The woman was well versed in the world, as a traveler should be, guides were the means in which stories passed from region to region and if she spoke true he had no doubt that she would know of his rare bloodline. What interested him however, was her reaction to such a thing. Rather then regarding him in reverence or awe she looked upon him as he was, a lost soul traveling the world. It brought about questions and thoughts, perhaps she too was more then what appeared at first glance. Her words continued transforming from statements to questions, perhaps rhetorical, but addressable none the less.

“One could say that I have traveled farther than others, but in the grand view of the cycle I have only wandered a brief period of time. We are what we make of ourselves but fate determines what paths we walk. He paused as she twirled away, watching her through careful eyes trying to discern the details of who exactly Odessa was. She had sparked a curiosity in the celestial being and it was in his nature to learn more. Fate alone binds us to all things, perhaps that with time is why lesser admire the greater. Why the gods draw our reverence… Perhaps their souls have simply walked the cycle longer than any of our own and they have unlocked the secrets and solved the mystery there in.”

His paced himself, again not knowing the steps to the dance and simply trying to mirror those near them. Odessa was a partner that knew her own paths, in more ways than one; it was obvious to any that had open eyes. Aku met her as she moved closer again, feeding off her energy and guidance. Again letting the sways of her form lead him as they moved. This human was spirited to say the least, it was something he would think on for much longer than this day, no matter the outcome of their meeting.

When she announced her thirst, he nodded politely, words completely unnecessary at that junction, and slid from the center of the floor, half following her, and half moving to the side. The positioning gave him a vantage in which he could observe but would not intrude yet still made him easy to find. Cobalt eyes watched as she fetched a drink, broken here and there by dancers and other occupants. His mind continued to sift through possibilities of her nature, trying to reflect on her words and determine if there was more to the woman then was presented. It was doubtful that she shared his same heritage, as his kind seemed to shy away from any type of long term interaction. It was puzzling, but thoughts were soon put on hold as the small girl kneeled before his dancing partner. She was in obvious pain but none seemed to notice… as if the event was simply a figment of his imagination.

Aku held firm, curious to see what would follow. He was after all asked to wait. His eyes simply watched, but internally he was focused on the Djed pathways that connected his physical form to the astral. He concentrated on its energy and they way it flowed through him, centering its focus and becoming one with its grace. This was the premise of the Flux and he wanted his power ready should need call for it. Already he knew how these people treated outsiders it was obvious from his own and other interactions with them, if Dira wanted this woman dead her hand could have just as easily caressed her as well as the girl. He would hold his ground until he saw it necessary to intervene, after that fate would guide their paths.

The heavens tore and from the area between night and day we fell, to the waters below where we should be reborn and live anew, always separated and forever yearning.
Akuaysun
Leth's Lost Soul

Words: 59383
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Chaelnomyl on February 2nd, 2010, 6:41 am

What a welcome it was. At least someone was finding it amusing. Chaelnomyl might have if she wasn’t so flustered by the previous events. The Akvatari adjusted her mask, removing it for a moment and giving it a stern look before glancing at Sel and replacing it since there was no other good place to put it. It had, of course, upset her auburn hair which she was quick to pick at and adjust while she listened to the mysterious savior’s explanations.

House of the Four Winds. Well, she’d never heard of it. In fact this was one of her first real encounters with the Eypharians, and it wasn’t turning out to be a good first impression. The Akvatari huffed slightly and shook her head. Villians got away with things because they were privileged? Blasphemous. That would never happen in Akvatari society. In reality no one was much of a villain in their society either, come to think of it.

The mention of being in a forbidden spot caught Chaelnomyl’s attention just as she had begun to calm herself back down, momentarily out of harm’s way. She peered around the room, what little she could see of it, and wondered exactly what kind of splendor a concubine enjoyed in their rooms. Concubines were yet another thing Abura would never have had.

At the extended hand, Chaelnomyl regarded it for a moment, remembering the wrist blade and wondering just how many hidden knives this plentiful armed man had. However, her trust in the good of others quickly took over and the Akvatari extended her hand to shake his.

”Pleasure to meet you, Sel. I’m Chaelnomyl.” She offered softly. ”And it is, obviously, my first time to Ahnatep. Or even seeing, much less meeting your people. I suppose I best be more careful in the future; I tend to forget that not all societies are like the one I am used to. ” And indeed they weren’t. Akavatari society was the abnormal one in the world they now lived in. Not that she had any idea if it was abnormal in the world as it was before the Valterrian, but nevertheless… Being civilized was indeed a rare commodity, as she had just witnessed.

”Is it customary for the Eypharians to expect what they want from other races? I mean no disrespect – I have just… never met an Eypharian before and thus you are as exotic to me as I was to … my suitor.” The Akvatari couldn’t help but crack a half-hearted, rare smile that did not extend up to her eyes. Giving pause for a moment, she inquired as an afterthought - ”Why did you intervene on my behalf?”
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hirem on February 4th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Hirem nodded one last smile to Mena and the painter before turning away and briskly walking into the heart of the courtyard. During this he stared once again at where Osahar was, and found him or them to be still chatting amiably to the woman. He quickly returned his gaze to face the large garden in the center of the party. As he got closer, he wrinkled his noise as a wave of heavy, stale perfumes hit him.

Shaking his head, he pushed forward, marching ahead through the heady aroma. Soon, the stone under his feet became sand, stretching lazily to the heart of the garden. To his sides were the whispers and small laughs of hidden party-goers, disguised in the luxury of the garden. Hirem scanned the area for Liviya.

At the very heart of the garden, almost like a sign from a god, there sat Liviya, sitting on a bench as she spun a tale for the seven guests near her. Hirem smiled at his success, and started to walk straight for her, ready to stop her story abruptly. However, her words found their way into his ears, and he stopped quickly. He breathed slowly, and simply stood there, arms folded, waiting for her story to finish.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Colombina on February 5th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Hirem

"…But Emiah still loved Temimah, longed for her. Even though she had left him. Left the good life he had labored to make for her."
Liviya glanced up at Hirem briefly showing her fair eyes. They seemed to smile at him though her mouth did not stop telling the tale.

"Temimah had remembered the Eypharian linen her old lovers had given her, the myrrh and aloe, the beds of cedar, the vineyards and precious stones, and she desired to have them again. She had gone to a far city, and become a mistress once more."
It seemed an odd story for a concubine to tell, but the listeners were too taken by the complexity her voice gave the tale. It seemed to trail and imply more even when the word had stopped.
"She burnt Emiah's letters and hid from his messengers, moving until they could find her no more. And for a time, her life was what it once was. She was a mistress to magi and dancer for the nobles."

Liviya's eyes fell on her hands.
"But such things do not last forever. Younger women began to take Temimah's place, and she began to grow ill. Her lovers were leaving her bed, afraid of her sickly pallor. The gifts that sustained her were no more and had bartered all the rest."

A wan smile came here, "Memory cannot buy bread. And beauty is not eternal. Temimah became a common harlot within three years. She lingered here in Ahnatep, near what is now the pillars of dust, her ankles hung with bells calling all."

The Benshira sighed quietly, letting the tragic picture arrange in her listener's heads.
"She had wanted to be adored, remembered but had come to this. A stale twilight when most have found contentedness... She begged if she could not entice, her stunning beauty drained with her health. One day as she slept against a pillar, her hands outstretched, a man drew her up. He was hale and dignity was in his features. His face made Temimah weep. It was Emiah, come to find her still."

Liviya smiled, overwhelmed with the impossible goodness of Emiah.
"Though Temimah tried to flee, ashamed of her abandonment of this good man, Emiah held her fast. He took her home, cared for her and the gods granted her health again. Emiah and Temimah had difficulties still, but after so long, they found peace hand in hand."

The concubine paused, this thread of the story ending.

"You see, Yahal had strengthened Emiah's faithful devotion to the wayward Temimah. Yahal told Emiah, that having loved the wandering Temimah, Emiah could now understand Yahal's devotion to his followers. Emiah went on to be a great Rapa, leading his people to safety before the Valterrian."

With a bow of her head, Liviya ended the story. The audience had mixed feelings about the narrative, some were moved and others confused to the point of irritation. Regardless, they clapped softly and thanked her in turns. After, they talked amongst themselves, leaving the concubine to herself.

Liviya beckoned Hirem to draw near. Once he came close she asked, "Did you like my story, Kalen? It is one of my own favorites."
The Benshira tilted her head, "But then I doubt you came here to listen to me tell tales. What is on your mind, my dear?"
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Colombina on February 5th, 2010, 11:52 pm

Akuasyun

The girl was beginning to turn pale and blue lipped. No one was noticing her, a dance was engrossing those nearest, and a nearby table was conveniently positioned to keep her out of sight. Confused and afraid, the girl looked up at Odessa's porcelain visage. Two of her hands weakly raised to grab Odessa's skirt. The woman merely stepped back, watching the girl's reach flounder.

A guest near Akuasyun opened a large fan of feathers, blocking his line of sight again. By the time he maneuvered past the obstruction, Odessa was gone and the girl's body was limp on the floor, her hands still outstretched.

Should Akuasyun move towards the crumpled girl, he would find he was no longer alone in his notice of her. A regally dressed Eypharian, decked liberally in emeralds and peacock feathers had been pushing through the dancing bodies. Her mask was feathered and velvet. She glanced around like a woman lost, or seeking something lost.

"Bisni! Bisni!" the note of worry began to spread and reach a higher pitch, "Bisni? Where are you?"

An armed Eypharian flanked her, wearing a kilt, sandals and a breastplate etched with a symbol, likely a personal guard.

The shrill cry she suddenly gave, signaled she had found Bisni, just as Akuasyun had. Movement around the woman and the crumpled girl staggered, though the rest of the large celebration raged on, happily unaware of the tragedy in their midst.

The masked guard turned the girl over. Far from ignorant, he stuck two fingers in her mouth, checking the fallen girl's air passages.
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Colombina on February 6th, 2010, 12:22 am

Chaelnomyl

Sel's handshake was comfortable and warm. Perhaps he was smiling under his cheap mask.

Unlike, Chaelnomyl, Sel had no interest in inspecting the chamber of the concubines.
It appeared to be a bathing room. The floor was tiled in lapis blue and jade green, scarce light filtered through high windows that were flush with the ceiling. Marble walls surrounded them, interspersed with columns shaped like elongated pears, their feet and caps painted with lotus and papyrus designs.
In the room's center were rectangular pools and at its edges were gilded benches in the shapes of jackals. Unlit braziers stood out from the corners.

The way Chaelnomyl spoke about the Eypharians entertained Sel. Her novel perspective was able to pierce the clutter and tradition of a proud people.

"The brief answer, yes. On a grander scale, Eypharians believe real power is not something bestowed. Real power is taken."
His tone had a smirk, "Here, everything is for the taking if you can catch and subdue it. You just pray you are one of those able to defend and harvest instead of the poor saps who are fall and are eaten."

Sel shrugged, "But that's just in the higher places of power. Normal Eypharians are pretty content to just be proud and a bit competitive. They don't have the killer instinct of the nobles, just an appreciation for finer things."

The masked Eypharian turned towards her.
"All that to say, it's risky here, but not so bad. Ahnatep's collective striving has made some really beautiful things. Things you won't see anywhere else, as if the Valterrian didn't bleed the world entirely dry of its splendor."

Sel had tried to ignore, Chaelnomyl's second question, as if it was embarrassing she should even ask it. Noticing her expectant looks, he eventually answered. His answer began with nervous clearing of his throat.
"It just seemed right." He paused, "I don't like to see girl's treated badly."

Fidgeting with the frayed edges of one of his sleeves, Sel tried to pursue a different topic.
"Want to explore a bit, Chaelomyl? Your entire party shouldn't be ruined just because of those wolves."
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext