[Syliras Location] Mechanical Marvels

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: [Syliras Location] Mechanical Marvels

Postby Murdoch on March 20th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Murdoch, usually a good judge of when to be quiet, simply hung back close to the door and perused the clocks and gadgets, though muddy hazel eyes flickered over to the other two every now and again. Two weirdos trading tales, right.

"Most of all, she's good with people," he added, a lop-sided grin pulling at his lips. "Can talk to just about anyone, so far's I've seen. I'm willing to bet she'd make an excellent saleswoman," he smirked.

He was careful not to steal anything, though, because that would put this off to a bad start. So instead he just let the two of them work it out, ready to help with any questions Alistair might have. Patience was the mark of a good thief, after all.
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Nyahna Sasin on April 15th, 2010, 1:17 am

Timestamp: Spring 28th 510 AV

Nervously, Sasin walked into the shop. He wasn't sure what to expect, but what he wanted would only be found here. No one else could, or would make this for him. He knew it would be pricey, and was willing to pay for it.

The moment he stepped into the shop, he was dazzled by the strange contraptions he found within. "Impressive." he murmured.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jaquise Emittere on April 27th, 2010, 1:39 am

2nd Day of Spring 510 AV

Probably one of the most embarrassing moment of Jaq's life, right up there with the time he had almost turned in an imitator for a 1,000 gm bounty, was forgetting about the order he had placed to the mechanist. Jaq stood outside 'Mechanical Marvels' wondering what it was he could say that would keep things civil. He wasn't just a day late, or a week. It was near two months since he had last visited the store. He could say that the amount of work he had been getting as winter's end neared and merchants rushed between Zeltiva and Syliras hawking there wares had kept him on the busy side.It can be argue that his trip to Sahova had been a rather distracting force. And he would if the owner of the shop ended up getting angry. It was better though to perhaps play dumb and see if the the promise of new business would keep the matter from getting out of hand.

Indeed it wasn't just one bit of business that Jaq was planning on bringing to the this man. Jaq's love of animating rekindled by a dream of the past he had on the road brought about the urge to practice. Thinking of the automaton's in his father's book had sparked a creative part of Jaq he had thought drowned by all the alcohol. Among the possibilities that raced through his mind was a brilliant idea to practice and create a gift for the good fellow Stitch's orphans at the same time. It might seem a bit out of character for such a hardened mercenary like Jaq to want to give gifts to a bunch of orphans. In truth it was the very freedom of the life that Jaq enjoyed so much. And while kids weren't his favorite, the idea of trying to care for as many as his friend did filled him with a mix of fear and dread that nearly paralyzed him, it wasn't to say that kids were bad. They just that it weren't Jaq's cup of tea. Still, Jaq had several years of dust to shake off on his animating skill. He was going to spend the money anyway, at least this way what he made would be doing some good.

So with a purposeful stride and a neutral look across his face, Jaq tipped his wide rimmed black hat low and moved into the store. It seemed to Jaq that little had changed in the store, though admittedly Jaq remembered little beyond the sound of all the gadgets and the proprietor himself. The items on display were either the same ones he had seen the last time he had entered, or new ones meant to replace those that had been sold. Unlike his lasts visits though, Jaq's eye did not take in any of those items. Instead it was immediately brought to the marble counter, or more specifically to the windows that hung above the counter where it met with the wall. Jaq's metal tipped boots clicked against the floor as he moved to the counter, just as they did last time. And just as last time Jaq had trouble hearing them over the metronome of sounds. For a brief moment as he stood in front of the counter he wondered what it would be like to try and meditate using the sound, sound being his preferred focus as to an image or word, of the clocks as his focus and resolved to find out one day. "Hello Sir deGrey. Would you have a moment to spare?" Jaq try to speak as politely as possible and just barley managing to make it not sound like a threat in his mind. He was hoping perhaps it wouldn't end with angry words and insults and fully believing the likely hood that it wouldn't was nil. If he couldn't even make himself believe that it was all just a big mistake that wouldn't happen again.

Secret :
I can change the date if you want. I was just trying to get it as close to the last time he went to your shop as I could.
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Words: 173150
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 2:59 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 8th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Keeping a date is a matter of principle. The volumes being late speaks about how one views a particular concept or event is interesting. I, usually try to keep deadlines and dates ordered. But not everybody has the same mental compulsion.

The man, known to Alistair deGrey as "Customer 001", entered the shop. The inventor had restructured his system almost immediately after finishing his request though. So consequently, this was the only numbered man that had ever patroned Mechanical Marvels. There would never be a "Customer 002".

deGrey heard the summons from his workshop, moving to the display room the meet Customer 001. Quite frankly, deGrey had not liked the man before he had abandoned the project. The sight of him now brought both new relief and old irritation. Alistair sighed, and glanced to the hook shot that hung on the rack. It was a wonder nobody had purchased it, but deGrey supposed that the need for a hook shot in Syliras was not great.

"I would suppose that you require your request, then?" Annoyance was ladeled onto Alistair's words. "It will be seventy gold Mizas." deGrey tapped the counter, "Consider yourself fortunate I did not charge you thirty gold Mizas per thirty days, as I should have."
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 8th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Jaq smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his head, almost knocking his hat of his head. "Sorry bout that. Its takes quite a while for caravan's to travel between Syliras and Zeltiva," and for Jaq to take a boat to Sahova, "And that happens to be one of the safest and well paying routes there is."

Jaq left the bit about Sahova out, the shopkeeper had been repulsed by the mention of D-wire. Talking about an island of magical inhabitants might have a bit more of a serious reaction.

"70 gold mizas for the launcher and potions?!"

Jaq couldn't keep the surprise out of his voice, which added with his sheepish smile to transform his hawkish, scarred and sickly features to something almost cheerful. Twas a bought of good luck that brought him to this store.

"That's quite a generous price there deGrey. You must have come across quite the cheap source for alchemists fire if you can afford to sell me the lot at that price. How many bottles of the liquid fire we talking?"
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 9th, 2010, 2:07 am

Oh yes, I had almost forgotten about my grand failure. One day, one day I shall remedy this.

It was not often that Alistair failed, and it always hung heavily upon him. What upset him even more was when he failed and had no means to remedy the situation. As Customer 001 unwittingly brought up deGrey's failure, the inventor allowed himself a twitch of irritation. The twitch carried up from deGrey's left hand, and into his larynx as he spoke, "Customer 001. It is, regrettable, but the occultness of the philtering community has prevented me from acquiring the recipe for Alchemist's Fire."

Alistair pointed to the launching device on the wall, "That, is what you are paying seventy gold pieces for. You will have to purchase the Alchemist's Fire from the Apothecary. Consider yourself fortunate I did not purchase the philter and charge you for it." The threat rung hollow as a cast statue, Alistair had not even considered such before now.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 9th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Jaq's smile stayed on his face, though the effort it took to keep it there was clear enough. To think the man was trying to threaten him with yet another charge. Was this all simply because Jaq had taken some time to pick it up? Surely the man could understand the need for work. "I believe I had already agreed to cover what expenses there were in acquiring the Alchemists fire."

Jaq looked over to the machine and studied it for a few moments. It looked well made, speaking truthfully. It also seemed the man had put the launcher and his grappling hook item together into one object. Quite the job he did. If it weren't for other monetary issues pressing Jaq, he would have simply paid the asked for price and been on his way.

"A fine piece of equipment that is. I cannot put all of it to use though now, so I find myself wondering why I should pay for all of it." Jaq turned back to the shopkeeper. His smile was gone and had been replaced by a look more appropriate for business dealings. Jaq's voice was also calmer, more business like, lacking the enthusiasm that had been evident earlier.

"Especially considering it had been your idea to build a launcher for my original purpose in coming here, the chemical itself, and later on the grappling device. Maybe fifty gold for the item, an five for the effort you put into it."
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 9th, 2010, 6:54 pm

I am used to being swindled by ungrateful citizens. But this one... This one is audacious beyond belief.

deGrey was calm and neutral once more. The irritation still simmered, but it was overtaken by a facade of tranquility. This man wanted to haggle? Then allow the negotiations to commence. If deGrey had known a bit more about negotiations, he might have acted as if the piece was dear to him, and thrown in dramatic motions to accompany it. However, deGrey knew little about negotiation. So he was flat.

"You make a valid point my good sir. The crossbow was foisted upon you by me. For that I will lower my price to sixty five gold Mizas. But recall that you are only paying for the crossbow. The weapon itself was thirty five Mizas, and the other components boosted the cost to nearly what your asking price is. I simply cannot sell the device for fifty five Mizas."
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 9th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Jaq had to put an effort into keeping his face neutral. Among the many things about being a mercenary that Jaq enjoyed, one of his favorite was haggling for his price. He was awful at it, his singing sound better then his reasoning when he tried to haggle and he was tone deaf, but the gods help him he enjoyed the back and forth.

"A reasonable price and one I am having a hard time trying think of a reason to try and lower. Very well, sixty-five gold mizas it is."

Jaq turned from the man to the wall he had passed by earlier and began sweeping his eyes over it, seemingly looking for something.

"That device is not the only reason I am here though. I had been hoping to purchase one of those clock work toys I saw last time. Do you have any such toys that emulate those shelled lizards, oh what are they called again.....turtles!?" Jaq snapped his fingers and turned back to the inventor. "If you don't have any, would it cost more then the usual price for such devices to have one made out of copper?
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 9th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Luck or skill? What a wonderfully irrelevant question.

Alistair smiled as he discovered he had won. The return on this weapon was not great, but that was irrelevant. However, he still did not see any Mizas before him. As Customer 001 proceeded, the inventor eyed him again, allowing some of his annoyance surface. "No, I do not have turtles on hand. Not many people request them. However, I can make such devices for minimal cost. But I must know how many to create, and how large. Also, I require payment for the previous request."

A loud chime rung out, indicating the end of the hour. deGrey twitched as he realized he had wasted most of the day in his workshop. He had promised a client he would review their suite for an alarm system, in ten minutes. "Customer 001, we must finish quickly. I have commitments elsewhere. Give me the details, and the Mizas."
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

PreviousNext