[Ariel's Scrapbook] Ariel's School for Ants

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Growl on September 18th, 2011, 8:45 pm

I have been to Japan?
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Cheshire on September 18th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Oak was speaking in Japanese and you were in the video. I can only assume :D
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Ariel on September 22nd, 2011, 2:43 pm

Reflection Time!

By the time November rolls around, I'll have been here for a year. (Kudos to anyone who remembers my first, horrid pc). Anyway, since then, I've played a number of different characters, and races, and (thank goodness), have improved on my writing. Or at least I'd like to think so. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

I feel like, given my experiences here, certain races and types of people take certain types of players in order to make them believable. And in order to make them thrive, and become well-rounded characters. Obviously, given the few I chose to retire, I don't fit well with all the characters I tried.

My first character was a Kelvic. (I know, what a surprise there). And before you all tell me I must have retired her because I was sick of all the wolf kelvic jokes, I shall inform you that she was the one and only dove kelvic. She was also quite the idiot, and her skill set was blah. (Just couldn't get it right the first time). Anyway, I think it can be rough to play a Kelvic, unless you understand that they're animals that can turn into humans, and not the other way around. I mean really get this, and I suppose, at the time, I really didn't. Not only that, but, I feel like, and this may be wrong, that when in doubt, your pc is supposed to give into their instincts. Or basic needs. At least, when they're Kelvics. After all, they're animals right? Animals tend to survive on their instincts, and the small amount of knowledge their mom/dad gave them in the short time they spent together. Assuming their mom isn't the type to eat them.

Anyway, I digress. I must say, that although I can relate in the sense that every being acts on instinct at least some of the time. And each being gives into base needs at least every once in awhile, it's difficult for me to write as a Kelvic. There just seems to be some sort of disconnect between me and that whole "wild" and "untamed" aspect. For lack of better phraseology. Not only that, but I think that whole personality type is simply aggravated when the Kelvic does not have a bondmate. It may just be me though. And if my characters- because I did make a second Kelvic, a white tiger- ever did bond and then lose said bondmate for some reason or another, I think they'd cry. For a long, long time, if not go hurl themselves off the nearest cliff or bridge.

My second attempt at a pc was well... slightly better I suppose, and one of them fiery redheads, the inarta. I think the most difficult part of playing an inarta is the fact that if they start in WR, they pretty much stay in WR. Unless, perhaps, they're an endal and they receive permission to go on a week long vacation. Another difficult aspect, was, I suppose that there weren't as many of them when Sil was around, and that there were two avora at the time, a few outsiders, and a chiet or a dek. I can't remember which. And everyone else was an endal. No this is not a joke... literally everyone in the city was an endal. I think the ratio of endal/avora/chiet/dek/yasi is still similar. Lots of endal, not much else. Which means, if you're one of the few avora, um... you just may have your head bitten off in every other thread if not every thread, by someone who outranks you. Of course, you may also bite off the head of that one random pc on a lower level than you... if you can catch them, I suppose.

Attempt number three, my lovely Konti Blythe. She's alright... Mura keeps her pretty darn naive and sheltered. I blame mommy Avalis and daddy Laviku for keeping all the bad people from visiting the lil Island, basically. So not all that much, negative, horrible, dangerously bad stuff happens there... it's kind of difficult to develop a pc with personality when she hardly ever leaves and has no reason to develop an even remotely negative outlook on the world. Ohh... unless you count the fact that she can't quite have kids. That makes her bitter and whiny. My my... she is starting to sound like the akvatari now isn't she? Yeah... basically, unless you leave the lovely little Island which the blonde-haired wannabe mermaids, (they have scales you know), inhabit, than there is no hope of your pc finally losing it. I don't think. Case and point: Kamalia and Satu.

After Blythe came Ariel. She's tons of fun. Loves adventure, is totally powerful, (not unless she is fighting an army of ants), and hates all the giants who come anywhere near her. Basically, because they can't bother to look down so as not to step on her, and because she feels they take too damn long to take her places. Hands down, she is one of my favorite pcs. Her only real draw back, in my opinion, and the real drawback for the race, is their height. It's hard to fight people and train and what not when you may easily be squished underfoot, or ignored simply because you can't be noticed amongst a sea of grass. Ohh... and everyone wants to steal your mount. They always assume the saddle is a joke, and it's someone's pet... and there goes your ride. *Sighsies* and they always think you're a bug or children's toy... mark my words Mizaharians, one day all of that will change, and you shall fear the tiny clay midgets!

Then there was the generic, garden-variety human known as Aello. Humans are cool, you can make them whatever you want them to be. Have the most freedom as far as looks are concerned, and can set them down just about anywhere and be alright. Just stay away from dhani and syms and your world will not quit going 'round. Anyway, she's probably the easiest to play and to integrate into the world of Miz. Partially because her personality was based off mine, (and then magic got to it... so there went that whole idea), and partially because I'm human too. Guess it's just easier to relate to what you are sometimes.

I think my chak came before the Vantha. Ilaeari. Didn't get far with her. I think she was just a) too depressed, which I am going to blame on my apparent need to kill off at least one of my pc's parents, and b) incomplete because she had no guardian. That thought, I shall chalk up to my OCD. I can't shake the fact that if a Chak grew up in the middle of nowhere in the desert, with their tribe, they should have one... or something is simply missing. They just go hand in hand for me. Also... the only other player out there at the time was a dhani, who I am pretty sure secretly wanted to eat her >.< I am telling you people you gotta watch out for those snakes. Unless you're a snake charmer perhaps, but still... you really should mind the fangs, and the venom. And don't let the gentle tangling of the rattle at the end of their tails fool you. They don't actually want to dance and haz a fiesta with you... erm, unless you are the appetizer. Yes.... *shifty eyes*

CARA!!! My lovely Vantha. Gotta love her crankiness. Um... and hold pride. I think, if you don't have pride in your hold, and think it better than the others there may be a problem. Downside to playing her: it's always cold in Avanthal, and she has no friends. The cold has no friends either, it just keeps everyone prisoner up there, and keeps the dhani out... so it works out I suppose. OH, and we have Morwen. She's pretty BA.

Yeah...

I suppose, what I've learned is your personality has to relate, at least in part, to your pc in order to be played well. You have to like the home city of the race, and really get the race itself if you want the pc to survive. Maybe that seems obvious to some, but I think, perhaps, we forget sometimes. Or, we struggle to find something that works, so we keep on trying and trying to find the best thing...

I don't know... ignore my rambling.

Ariel
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Growl on September 27th, 2011, 12:16 am

I thought I'd make some lists... blame it on the latest episode of The Office. All of you who have yet to watch it... DO EET. Please. Anyway...

List of random mundane things that irritate me:

1- When someone leaves the cap off a pen, and then the ink dries. The really irritating part being that the pen is clear, and you can see a whole pile of blue or black ink sitting around inside, and you can't bloody use it.
2- When you run out of lead for your mechanical pencil, or you try writing and the lead breaks even though you weren't pressing down on the paper that hard.
3- When your eraser leaves those long dark streaks across your paper instead of actually doing their darn job and erasing something.
4- When the only guy in your household leaves the toilet seat up.
5- When you share a bathroom with another girl, and she can't bother to put all of her hair supplies, (straighter, blow dryer, and multitude of products), back, or toss her q-tips or cotton swabs away in the garbage can. So instead, they litter the floor, and get multi-colored powders all over your nice carpet, and or tiles...
6- When you're cooking, and someone thinks it'd be better if they added some sort of spice to it. Of course, you can't have said spice because you have acid reflux, and just so happen to be lactose intolerant, among other things, as well. Oh... and you figure it out once you've taken a bite, or more, and spend the rest of the hour sick as all get out.
7- When you're walking down a steep hill, and your toes bump up against the front of your enclosed footwear, or the thong in your sandals scrapes up uncomfortably between your big toe and the one next to it.
8- When no one flushes the toilet.
9- When your teacher calls on you in class, and you honestly, for the first time ever, didn't actually pay any attention to what she had been saying.
10- Your teacher collects homework the one day you don't do it.
11- Some guy slashes your tires because you took his favorite parking spot.
12- The one day you decide to wear white clothes, it rains. It also just so happens to be so windy, that your umbrella turns inside out, and becomes completely useless.
13- You go to the supermarket, and they have every flavor of ice cream but the one you actually like. Or every flavor yogurt, or every brand of peanut butter... you get the idea, don't you?
14- When you hop into bed, and it creaks beneath your weight.
15- When, by the time everyone else in your family has showered, and you finally get to it, there is no more hot water. So you promise yourself that tomorrow, you will get to it first, and get all the hot water. But instead, the same thing happens and you freeze your butt off and half-a** your shower, so all your friends think you have awful hygiene since you don't wanna deal.**
16- When someone's silverware scrapes up against their bowl.
17- When people smack and pop their bubblegum.
18- People talking with their mouth full.
19- When people blast the TV, or leave it on even though they aren't actually watching, and yell at you from across the house if you try and change the channel.
20- When you go for a walk and all you see is garbage everywhere. (Why is it so hard for people to throw their shit in the trash)?
21- Improper grammar.

**Slight exaggeration

On a different note, am I the only mod who wonders what they're doing at all times? I feel like I go into everything blind and wing it. Even when I try to be all nice and organized and um... plan stuff out.
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Cheshire on September 27th, 2011, 1:09 am

I'm so glad I am not the only person who has random things that irritate me. It makes me feel like less of a bitch.

1. When people burp and don't say excuse me
2. When people chew loud enough for others to hear
3. When people talk about X-Men (or anything having to do with Marvel comics) like they know what they are talking about WHEN THEY ACTUALLY DON'T *roars*

Just my top three...
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Woof on September 27th, 2011, 10:04 pm

The X-men is one of the best things DC ever created.

Woof? :

I can get behind most of those!

... Well, except number 4!
Woof
Woof?

Words: 10872
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2011, 10:23 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on September 27th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Woof... you are on my list

They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Growl on September 28th, 2011, 3:37 am

Ghost cat will kill us all...

RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Growl on September 28th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Apparently I like making lists... so...

Note: Please save the booing for later.

My Favorite Movies:

-The Illusionist
-Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one, don't like the others, but then again, never seen the fourth one)
-Lord of the Rings (I think I like Two Towers the most)
-Inception
-UP
-Happy Gilmore
-Big Daddy (What? The Sprouse twins were adorable then. But not know, don't ask me what happened)

Movies That Make My Poor Ears Bleed:

-Basically, any superhero movie ever made- The Hulk, Spiderman, Watchmen, The Green Hornet, Superman, The Batman Series (yes Dark Knight too)
-The Rocky Picture Horror Show
-The Notebook
-Prom Night
-Blades of Glory
-50 First Dates

Just to name a few...

Favorite TV Shows:

-HOUSE
-LOST
-Family Guy (totally irritated by the fact that you need hulu plus to watch the new stuff)

TV Shows that I Can't Stand:

-Gossip Girl
-Desperate Housewives
-Jersey Shore

Just For Shits and Giggles:

If Mizahar were to be hit by an oversized comet tomorrow, and only five pcs, (not including your own), could survive to rebuild everything, who do you think should survive and why...

Well if I can't bring my pcs... actually, scratch that, wouldn't want to. They're all petching crazy... anyway...

Hadrian- because he's a nerd. You need nerds...
Ulric- because he can fish and um... kill things with his ax there
Kavala- because she is good with medicine, and knows way too much about animals...
Stitches- because he's relatively knowledgable, fairly strong, and sane enough to keep all of these guys from killing each other, I think... I hope?
Markus- because every civilization in the making needs a Sylirian knight

Yeah, I got a little too bored this morning...

Lesson number 17... I think: Ariel and her pcs need to acquire lives.
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 28th, 2011, 4:19 pm

*glares at you* The X-Men movies were amazing superhero movies (along with Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, and Green Lantern)... You problem is that you watch the stupid DC movies. Marvel is where it is at yo. Don't judge the amazing Marvel movies when you have been forced to see DC. Aello is no longer allowed to sit with Kendall at lunch because of your hurtful words.

"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook