The other side of the Maw [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Zevlin on September 29th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Zevlin watched intently as the exchange happened between his two companions, wondering what the pages Alric had handed to Alanys read. While he wasn't interested in learning hypnotism himself, as she was, his insatiable curiosity wanted to read what was on those pages. But he held himself back, content just to wonder, and leave Alanys to her learning. He'd find something else to occupy his curiosity.

He would be lying if he said he wasn't a little bit disappointed when Alric informed him that he wasn't able to hypnotize him into action, though he was a little relieved that the chance to make a fool of himself was gone. "Ah well, I would have Loved a demonstration." He didn't hide the disappointment, but he didn't let it overrun his voice. All he really wanted to know was what Alric could make him do, and knowing now that it wasn't much, he felt more at ease.

Magic wasn't his forte, and always made him feel uncomfortable.

Diverting his attention away from Alric for the moment, Zevlin found his hopes of ever seeing the temple dwindle away. Was this the same garden? It was, wasn't it. For the third time that day, the Inarta found himself staring at the beautiful flowers that seemed to be laughing at him. "It seems that Alvadas doesn't want us to reach this temple." he muttered, sighing irritably.

OOCIt's alright Alric, you don't have to apologize to me for that. Just a clash of time constraints X3
Zevlin
Player

Words: 15604
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 30th, 2011, 5:30 pm

As Alric passed Alanys the sheets of torn paper, her garnet eyes flitted over the Common words avidly. She had the secret to manipulation literally within her claws. She would be as well-known as Nessora and Silenva if she could grow much more powerful than them. The uses for Hypnotists in Kalinor, and even in the Harvest, were limitless.

The Symenestra removed her own small, red book from the cloth wrapped around her pelvis. She never went without this book, the Viratasa. It was her most important possession and had seen her through almost two decades of life. Her clawed fingers delicately flipped through the pages to the end of the book where she tucked the pages Alric had given her. The place she had put those pages were a place of honour in her mind. She looked forward to learning the entirety of Hypnotism soon.

Her garnet eyes then rose again as she held the book close to her. "I can write it all in Symenos and return the pages to you, if you would like. Some Common defeats me." The offer she made was so she could have access to the entire book instead of mere pages. She didn't want Common words in her presence too long either. Common may not have been as frustrating as Alvadas, but it was still a stupid Tongue. There weren't even any useful honorifics!

Now, as Alric responded to Zevlin she listened. Alric was stating the limitations of Hypnotism? Alanys was uncertain that there had been any. Hypnotism was a powerful magic of the mind. As Silenva had said, it gave the feeling of being a child given rule of a smaller world; destruction was as likely as creation, but no matter what, it was fun. One could make someone do something, Silenva had said. She could make someone want more. The pain she gave could become addicting if she laced enough of her magic into it.

Alanys shivered at the idea of what she could do with Hypnotism.

However, it was time to change the subject before she came to be too curious and started telling these two about her family and their magical powers. Yet, as she opened her mouth to say something, a new building took form at their left. It was massive, a moss-covered building with spires, arches, and windows. The little road leading off the main one towards the castle-like building branched off near the thing so one little trail could lead to a seemingly empty bell-tower. It was a very strange place, with an almost forboding air.

"What is that?" She asked Alric, since he was so learned in Alvadas' play-games.
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Words: 29885
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 30th, 2011, 11:05 pm

"I can write it all in Symenos and return the pages to you, if you would like. Some Common defeats me."

Alric considered her words for a moment, but quickly dismissed them. If she meant the measly ten or so pages he had given her, they wouldn't be worth the time. And if she meant his entire book, it would take her far longer than a day. In which case, he would have need of it. She would be able to get by on the pages. When she needed more information, she would simply be able to buy a more comprehensive book in the bizarre.

"Thank you for your kind offer, but I'm afraid it's more trouble than it's worth."

Alric was getting rather bored. Alvadas was being most irritating. They had been walking in an S shaped pattern for near half an hour, and he had yet to spot the temple. That is, until Alanys did him the courtesy.

"What is that?"

Alric looked over to Alanys to see what she was talking about. At his discovery, he sent a thanks to Eyris. He would have thanked Ionu, but he had a feeling that Ionu might have been behind the whole thing in the first place. Ionu was a restless person, Eyris was much more stable. Of course, he could be wrong. So, just to be safe, he sent a thanks to Ionu as well.

"That, my friends, is the wondrous temple of Ionu. We've finally made it."
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zevlin on October 1st, 2011, 7:09 pm

Zevlin followed Alanys' pointing figure, eyes widening at the sight of this new building. The architecture was beautifully designed, with large arches and tall spires. The building seemed built to catch the eye, hold your attention, and pull you in to itself. It was strange; he had never gotten such a feeling from a building. The feeling of intrigue and foreboding.

And then Alric explained that this was the temple that they had been searching for.

Zevlin let himself relax, relieved to have finally arrived at his destination. It seemed as though it had been so long since the three of them had started this journey through the City of Illusions. The most aggravating revelation of finding this place? The temple stood across from the garden that they had passed so many times before. A bitter smirk touched his lips.

Alvadas had a very warped sense of humor.

Though he supposed that he shouldn't be so bitter. The long walk had made him a pair of new friends. Well, he wasn't sure if Alanys considered him a friend, but he was glad to have met her despite that fact. Still, walking for hours in circles made anyone grumpy, to say the least. "I was beginning to believe we wouldn't ever make it." He mused lightly, his smile returning. "I'm glad we're finally here."
Zevlin
Player

Words: 15604
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Distortion on October 13th, 2011, 1:29 am

Zevlin
Awards :
Skills
Observation +2
Rhetoric +1
Seduction +1 (Bravo for the failed attempt)

Lore
Returning Home to a Faraway City
Avadas is a Melting Pot
Getting Lost in Alvadas’ Shifting Streets
There is a Fine Line Between Confident and Foolish
Sights of Alvadas (House of Mirrors, Temple of Ionu)
Alric (Initial)
Alanys (Initial)
Kalinor (Secondhand)

Alric
Awards :
Skills
Hypnotism +2
Observation +2
Rhetoric +1
Philosophy +1

Lore
Noble Without a Miza
Jumping to Conclusions
Playing Tour Guide
The Truth, the Half-Truth, and Nothing But the Truth
Hypnotism Can Have Unexpected Consequences
The Inarta Caste System (Secondhand)
Kalinor (Secondhand)
Alanys (Initial)
Zevlin (Initial)

Possessions
Lost the first few pages of Alric’s Book of Hypnotism.

Notes
This has already been mentioned before, but I would like to see a little more detail in the Hypnotism to add color to the scene.

Alanys
Awards :
Skills
Observation +2
Climbing +1
Intimidation +2

Lore
Alvadas is an Awful Place
Stalking Humans from the Rooftops
Being Lured in by a Smile and… Something More
Respecting Your Personal Space
Pride in Your Homeland
Alric (Initial)
Zevlin (Initial)
The Inarta Caste System (Secondhand)

Possessions
Gained the first few pages of Alric’s Book of Hypnotism. This will allow you to train yourself in the basics of Hypnotism.

Notes
One word of advice, Hypnotism does not make you do something you do not want to do. It twists your perception slightly, planting the seed that you want to do something. Your responses to it toward the end of the thread feel much smoother.

Overall: A fun thread, if a bit hecticly paced in the flow of question and response sometimes. It did end a bit abruptly, but that is understandable if you are transitioning into another thread immediately.

Have fun and, if you have any questions or concerns about my grading of this thread, please feel free to PM me.
Distortion
Player

Words: 9809
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2011, 11:06 pm
Race: Staff account

Previous