Dealing with Consequences (Idue)

[The Library] Eridanus and Idue discusses the aftermath of their encounter.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Eridanus on November 4th, 2011, 6:09 am

Day 4, Fall of 511 AV
5 Chimes after the 7th Bell
The Library, Stumble Alley

The faint rays of the rising sun peeked through the blinds covering the library's windows, gradually lighting up the dark and musty building. It was fully built, definitely, but the building showed signs of partial disrepair and obviously suffered from a lack of visitors, for most citizens in Sunberth usually focused their time and energy on more practical matters that could be instantly applied to their lives, rather than do scholarly things like reading books. Still, he acknowledged that regardless of state a library was a guaranteed treasure trove of information, though whether that knowledge was useful to one's every day life was a different matter.

Now, however, he was not thinking of all this as the first thing he noticed when he blearily opened his eyes was his throbbing headache. Leth's reign in the heavens overseeing the mortal plane had ended, and along with His graceful exit Eri's body had followed as well, changing back to his previous life's Vantha form. He looked around, trying to get a sense of his location and trying to recall the events that would lead up to where he was but drew a blank. Nothing but this petching headache. It was like the hangovers he got when he over-did the partying during his days in Zeltiva University, but multiplied many times over.

Eridanus raises his hand to touch his nose, for there was a sort of tingling in his nose as well that throbbed along whenever there was a wave of aching brought about by his migraine. Wincing, he also noticed that his arm was pretty sore, and he felt like he had been body-building with heavy weights to whole day without rest, although logically speaking he knew that he did not have the strength nor stamina to do so. Regardless that was precisely how he felt his muscles were 'feeling' and even now his muscles protested with every tiny movement. His sore body combined with the waves of pain pulsing through his head every now and then did not improve his mood nor his ability to recall, and he closed his eyes again, breathing deeply. He drew on a meditative technique he learned earlier in his life to try to calm his thoughts - a difficult process with his head screaming in agony every couple of chimes - and calmed his body, noting that his muscles were tensed unknowingly and he had to consciously relax them, letting out a satisfied sigh as he felt the tension in his body loosen, though every now and then a whimper would escape his closed lips when the pain in his head hits.

He forced himself to remain calm, trying his best to ignore the pulses of pain at his temple. It was like there was a really tiny pycon in there trying to spear his way out of his skull. A wave of pain hit the Vantha and he gritted his teeth. Maybe a platoon of pycons would be more accurate. Nevertheless, he tried to disregard the migraine and he tried to focus more deeply on his breathing, drowning out everything except the sounds of his breath and the gentle rise and fall of his chest.

After a while, he realized that the throbbing got better and developed into a sort of dull ache. He could deal with a chronic pain for the time being and it was much better than having to face a series of mind-wrecking jolts. He was impressed with the success of this meditation technique and made a note to read up more on the topic to find out more about its applications.

Eridanus' mind was now almost clear, and the only thing in his mind was his breathing and the dull aches that would hit his head every now and then. He managed to loosen and relax his body to the point that he barely felt his muscles, though this effect was partly achieved by his highly fatigued body. Imagining his thoughts as a pool of water and his mind as an empty well, he slowly refilled his imaginary well, his mind slowly bringing in a 'scoop' of thoughts as he tried to recollect the events of yesterday. This was a method he used when he awoke in the middle of the streets wearing almost nothing during one of the said wild parties in the University when he could not recall the previous events.

He checked the balance of flux in his body, and observed with interest that it was flowing as smoothly as it normally should. Instead, it flowed jerkily, the paths not fully attuned and his astral body still settling into the shape of his physical shell. It was if he had morphed his body to the point that his natural djed streams could not recognize, or he had redirected too many streams too many times until it took his astral body a longer time to resume status quo. Had he overused Flux the previous day? If he had, he could easily discount any partying or drinking, which made sense for the wanderer had no reason to party at an unsafe city like Sunberth.

Flux...?

Suddenly, the thought brought memories crashing painfully into his head. It was as if the memory of flux was a key to a dam that held the tide that was the previous day's recollections and he had just opened the flood gates.

With shock, his mind briefly ran through the events, him remembering clearly what he did but now realizing that to him it was as if he was experiencing a sort of dream state, where in a dream you did what you did but yet having no control over what you did. It was with that sort of apprehension that lingered as he went through his actions, and it was with a sickening twist in his stomach that he realized the thorough brutality of his actions. It was like when one was drunk and had one's inhibitions off, doing things that at that time seemed rational and natural to do, but later on when the inebriation wore off one would realize that whatever one did while drunk was a pretty dumb thing to do. It was the same sort of feeling, but even worse, for it was not merely embarrassing himself but actually a series of gruesome executions that the victims may or may not deserve. He knew that there would be no legal ramifications for him, unlike in Syliras, but he also knew that it was a severe moment of weakness and he did not like to be reminded of his past deeds.

Indeed, his current personality and state of mind was always carefully guarded. Carefully framed. He was like a drug abuser who went through rehabilitation, who was constantly fighting against the need to feel that self destroying thrill. Priskil had saved him then, and he fervently hoped that Priskil would not judge him negatively for what he had done. He was sure that the Goddess would not be happy about this, but he silently swore to guard himself more carefully to avoid further shows of weakness.

His thoughts momentarily fell on the past, and again he shut that train of thought, deciding that if he needed to face his past now was not the time. The thrill of power was like a drug to him, and he knew that certain triggers in the present would be like a drug relapse, releasing him from his layers of mental barriers he willed into existence as a testament of faith to what Priskil saw in him, but more importantly to protect himself from degeneration into insanity. It was a careful balance one must maintain, a thin and fine line to tread, to prevent turning into the monster that one hunts in the guise of 'justice'. He might have been one of those monsters that vigilantes and lawful authorities hunt, but now he was no longer and although he could not demand redemption he could at least stop bringing evil into this world. And Leth knows how much evil he had brought.

It was fortunate that he had a friend to prevent him from -

A friend!

What's his name? That turban-wearing human. A Benshira.

Eridanus scanned the room again, opening his eyes from his meditative introspection.

My friend, Idue.

There was a strong feeling of gratitude to the man, for he had barely known him. Yet, the human had done more for him that he could possibly know, saving him from overgiving, saving him from the insanity of his uninhibited self, and still dragging him to his destination instead of leaving him there as any normal person should when threatened so frighteningly. He was ashamed of his actions, for having snarled at the Benshira so forcefully even though he only intended kindness, and it was with a faint glimmer of hope that he searched for the Benshira. Maybe he was still in the room, though that would be rare. Who would sleep in the same vicinity as a crazed psychopath? Still, if Leth smiled on him Idue would still be here and he would be able to properly express his gratitude and apology.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Idue on November 5th, 2011, 12:13 am

Idue poured some water into his hands, washing the dried blood of of his face. The Benshira was seated outside the library, his axes resting on the bench he was seated on. From the blood on his clothes and weapons, people in Stumble Alley that morning seemed to come no closer to Idue than they had to. And he really didn't want to put up with anyone at the moment. Not after last night.

Idue leaned into the wall of the library, closing his eyes. His entire body was sore from the fighting and dragging Eridanus to this location. But he was still alive, while five men died in his place. It was hard to decide whether or not what he and Eri had done was good or not. Those they had killed were slavers, scum on the earth that deserved to die. But one of those who died was only a boy, barely old enough to handle ale like a true man. He deserved a second chance if none of the others did. Yahal wouldn't be pleased. But the others were so impure. . .

Idue shook his head. He had had this argument all night, even when he slept. He had dreams of his axe splitting the skull of the blond slaver. But most of his dreams had Eridanus in it. How he killed that boy. How he snarled at him when he stopped him from following the merchant. It wasn't human. It wasn't the Eridanus he barely knew. But what was it?

Idue heard a slight movement inside, and the Benshira stood. Maybe Eridanus was awake and ready to provide the answers Idue wanted to know. The Benshira grabbed his axes, thrusting them through his sash, and walked over to the door. Taking a deep breath, Idue stepped in, wondering what was going to happen.
Idue
Retired

Words: 67076
Joined roleplay: September 21st, 2011, 10:38 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Eridanus on November 5th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Eridanus should have expected it, but he still felt a sort of disappointment and his heart sank, for the Benshira was nowhere in sight. It was expected, after all, and any mere mortal would have decided that whatever he did that night to help the Ethaefal already went far beyond the line of duty of a fellow wanderer. Who would want to spend the night in the same area as him for fear of being brutally murdered by the possessed individual one saw that night? There was no guarantee that he would wake as a normal person, and he accepted the desert-child's wariness, taking no personal offence for he had no right to assume any.

Slowly standing up, wincing as he flexed his sore muscles in order to get up, he stood stiffly next to the chair that he found himself slumped on, then sighed and began shambling to the door. He felt a need to get some fresh air and feel Syna's warmth on his skin, and maybe he might, he just might feel better.

As he shambled towards the door, it creaked open and Eridanus gasped in surprise when Idue walked in, his heart soaring and a smile slowly beginning to form on his face. This was what Idue would first see when he entered the library; a Vantha who looked like he had been through severe physical and mental trauma, but whose very countenance was brightened by a gradually forming grin as he realized that his friend had not left him.

Eridanus knew that explanations must be given, but he did not wish to go through it again, after having stored it back safely during his meditative trance. There would be another time to confront his past, but now was not the time; he did not feel that he had sufficient mental and spiritual strength to deal with it, and so he motioned forward for Idue to exit the library with him and bathe in Syna's light.

As they crossed the door to stand outside the library, Eridanus began, "Idue... I don't really know how to say this, but thank you for what you did yesterday. From helping me with the fight, to stopping me just before I succumbed to my demons, and dragging me here."

He paused, unsure if he should reveal more. He knew that this man could be trusted, for the desert-child protected him and brought him to safety while he was at his weakest and most vulnerable, and he decided to go ahead.

"As you can see, I am not human. I am an Ethaefal, and now that Leth gave way to Syna in the heavens, my body resumed its mortal appearance accordingly."

"In the past... I have done terrible things. I do not ask for redemption, but all I can say is that Priskil had saved me then, showing me the light and somehow showing me that love and friendship can be more fulfilling than pure power. Power that is gained regardless of circumstances."

"I was like a drug addict, hooked on whatever I was hooked on along with like-minded individuals, and the unholy fellowship was like an infinite loop of degeneration, the brotherhood supporting each other and gaining strength from our immoral deeds."

He gulped, then decided not to venture further lest his mind screamed at him again.

"It was... all I could muster and I guess yesterday was like a relapse. A relapse like no other. What are your thoughts on this, Idue child of Yahal? I do not seek forgiveness nor question your judgement, but I want to tell you that I consider you a trustworthy friend and ally after the events that transpired."

He ventured with an unsure tone, "And now I wonder if you feel the same. If you do not, I will not blame you, for even I find it difficult to trust myself."
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Idue on November 6th, 2011, 6:52 pm

As Idue stepped into the library, he didn't expect the sight of Eridanus coming for the door. And the man he had fought with looked different. Sure Idue could see the physical weakness and the emotional trama in his eyes. But he was different in appearence too. How could he change in one night so much about his appearence. Could he use morphing?

Eridanus didn't give anything away at first, instead motioning with his body language to step outside. The man had been using that often lately, and it probably was good Idue could read it so clearly. Not that he was skilled at it; Eri just made it easy to understand. Nodding without letting his turban move astray, Idue turned around, stepping back out into the alley with Eri on his heels.

The man didn't take long to begin speaking, thanking him for helping him in the fight yesterday. He thanked him from not allowing him to sink to his inner demons, and to bring him to the place he wished to go to. Idue didn't speak, only nodding. If this man could use body language, so could Idue. And Eri would know Idue meant your welcome. But really Idue didn't think he deserved thanks. The way he prevented Eri from sinking to his dark side wasn't the purest he could've done, but the Benshira didn't have time to think. He acted on instinct that he didn't know he had. How had Yahal let him get caught up in this?

Eridanus paused as if he was unsure whether he should continue, but Idue didn't press him. The Benshira wasn't going to tell more than he wanted to, and didn't mind if this man kept secrets also. But Eri continued anyway, naming himself Ethaefal, the true sons of either Syna or Leth. It make sense to Idue, although he had never met one before. At least it made sense that he didn't know this. He didn't know much about this world outside his tents, and things like this was new to him.

The man continued, telling Idue how he had done bad in the past and how Priskil had saved him. He didn't reveal much, but Idue listened intently nevertheless. This man struggled with a unique drug that only he reacted to. It was odd that one reborn by a god could have struggles like this. Why didn't Leth and Syna help their children like Eridanus? They surely needed it, and they suffered by themselves. But Idue thought harder, wondering if Yahal would help him. Of course he would if he ever fell to impurity. But it still brought a second thought or two. Doubts.

Idue considered his words when Eridanus asked for his thoughts. How did he feel about this? "It seems you find yourself in a horrible situation, Eridanus son of Leth. My thoughts aren't the best at the moment as I don't know everything. But do understand that you too are an ally in a fight and a friend during peace. I don't get turned away easy, and a man with trouble doesn't make me want to quit."

Idue sat back down on the bench, moving the handles of his axes so they were out of the way. Looking at Eri, the Benshira continued speaking. "Why did you choose the library as your place to visit?" It was an honest question. Why had Eridanus risked his life traveling through Stumble Alley at night for books? Why had Idue dragged him here when he couldn't walk? What was in there that was so special?
Idue
Retired

Character sheet

Postby Eridanus on November 7th, 2011, 10:29 am

Gratitude welled within the Vantha, for it was rare to find someone who accepted him equally without judgement. He nodded in appreciation, and followed Idue to the bench, sitting down beside him as he asked his question.

"Why did you choose the library as your place to visit?" The Benshira asked.

Oh yes. The library - the very reason behind his visit to Sunberth. He considered briefly if he should tell his new friend, and decided that he was trustworthy enough to not go spouting to everyone and anyone. Besides, the more heads there are the easier it would be to solve this problem.

He had been tracking down a certain elusive book on Vani song composition. It seemed strange that he would risk his life to find this book, but his history with it went a long way back. A very long way back. He was not sure if the book was pre-Valterrian or not, for that was not his concern. Through much conflict and investigation he had narrowed down the book's possible location to Sunberth's unused library.

Why was this particular book so important? The author used a pen-name of Snownata, a clever portmanteau of snow and sonata, reflecting his Vantha heritage and the purpose of the book, which was to instruct the reader on how to write music. Now what made this book special was that Eridanus had recently recovered certain past memories of his life that made him quite certain that this book was written by his past incarnation before being chosen by Leth.

Somehow, he had gotten the impression that the book was also a sort of diary for his past incarnation if one could read between the lines. Eridanus believed that in order to unlock this hidden knowledge, one must have information on musical composition, be familiar with Vani culture and their style of writing, be fluent enough in Vani to understand the book and its possible nuances, and of course have sufficient memories of his past life in order to link the events together.

He was far from this and was of course trying to pick up the necessary skills that would allow him to do so. However, what he do know was that if he did not have the book, he could be a master in song composition and he would be no nearer to the knowledge that he sought. What he could do now was to at least secure the book as soon as possible, and then he could take his time to analyse its contents.

Eridanus conveyed his thoughts to the Benshira, except with more elaborations for the man would not know his background. He wanted to properly comprehend his situation and to at least find out if Leth had abandoned him or had a divine purpose for him. Either way, the first logical method would be to walk the paths and memories of his previous life to fully understand why and how had Leth chosen him.

He fervently believed that discovering that knowledge would be the first step in ascending the ladder back up to Leth's realm where he truly belonged, and so would even be willing to risk his life for that chance.

"Have you heard anything about it? Anything in your travels?"

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Idue on November 9th, 2011, 1:21 pm

As Eridanus sat beside him and began his long-winded tale of why he had chosen a library in Sunberth as his search, Idue could only realize why Vantha were the storytellers of Mizahar. The man truly could talk, and the story seemed so odd. But Idue wanted to believe it. It wouldn't have surprised him if all of this was so true. But why? Best to dissect the story and try to decide what he thought.

Idue knew little about song composition, and he had never seen a Vantha before today. Usually followers of Morwen never visited Ekytol as it seemed to frighten them out of their wits to have no ice around for miles. The same reason why Benshira couldn't live in Avanthal. They would freeze from stubborness before wearing boots. And why would this book be in the library of Suberth. Unused was a good start since no one ever visited. But why here? Idue was sure many libraries had compsition books, but he doubted this one would have a particular book.

And to top it off, this man was searching for it because he believed he was the author of the book. Idue didn't know much about ethaefal, but he understood now that they change appearences as the sun sets and rises. And the Benshira figured your non-divine form is what you were before you were reborn? But if that was true, how did he figure he was a composer from so long ago. How old was this man? This brought up questions Idue would like to learn later on. But he still needed to continue coming up with his final thoughts.

Idue looked at Eridanus as he asked if he heard of it at all in his travels. It was an honest question, but did Eridanus really think Idue would be looking out for a composition book in his search for his mother. How would it help him find what he was looking for? Idue didn't blame him for asking, as he could tell Eri really needed this book to fuly understand his past before today. Really Idue didn't understand why he needed to know. He was reborn to live a new life. Why worry about your past life if you had a new one to live?

Idue looked at Eridanus, and stood. "I have never heard of this book you seek, friend. But I have nothing to do today. Since we're here we might as well look for it." Idue held his hand out, ready to get this search started. He figured even if he wanted no help in his personal search, Eridanus could use some help.
Idue
Retired

Character sheet

Postby Eridanus on November 10th, 2011, 5:12 pm

The Benshira offered to help and the Vantha accepted it, the two of them standing up to enter the library once more. It would be a long day ahead, and he was not sure if he could find the book in this place. What he did find, however, was a trusted ally and friend in this crime-ridden city, and inwardly he smiled. It might be Priskil's idea of keeping him in check, it might be part of Leth's grand plan for him, or it might even be just plain old providence, but whatever it was, Eridanus was glad it happened for now he had someone to watch his back, and he knew how important it was especially in Sunberth.

The doors of the library closed as the two newly-made and newly-affirmed friends headed into the building with a sense of purpose. What new revelations would the Ethaefal make? What new mysteries would he discover? Alas, that would be covered in another tale, and so this marks the end of this particular incident.

The End.

OOCYep, it's meant to be short as it's basically to take stock of the situation and for Idue to know Eri's condition. Eri will be travelling to Alvadas in Winter, so if Idue wants to join Eri there do let me know :)

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Archelon on November 27th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Thread Award

"..."

And the Results!!!!:

Eridanus :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Meditation3
Observation2
Rhetoric2
Suberfuge1 Evading questions

Lores:
Sunberth: The Library(Basic)
An Ethfael's wish:How can I return?

Idue :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Observation2
Interogation1 working information from an Eth.
Socialization3

Lores:
Sunberth: The Library(Basic)
Remembered Stories of Eridanus(Basic)

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
Interesting thread guys!Keep them up and onto the next XD.
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)