[Skill] Gambling

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Re: [Skill] Gambling

Postby Ashivirsthargon on March 23rd, 2010, 4:04 pm

Well, that begins to drift into a marginally different area. I think a Sleight of Hand or Palming skill of some kind is a great idea. The ability to conceal small objects on one's person. It would synergize well with other skills, including gambling.

But within the confines of the gambling skill, I'm thinking more in terms of "knowing what you need to do to effectively influence the odds without getting caught." The wiki says skills should be as general as possible; there's my attempt at being general. ;) Counting cards. Shaving dice. Nudging the table. Maybe some of those have a "physical execution" element which might better fall under a "Palming" skill or something.

I can totally see the ability to conceal small items developing separately from Gambling knowledge, but I can't see knowing how to cheat at a particular game developing separately from knowing the game. But like I said - that's just my take, and I can completely understand the opposing view.
Ashivirsthargon
OM NOM NOM

Words: 50270
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2010, 12:21 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Gillar on March 28th, 2010, 3:06 pm

The intro looks pretty good to me and provides a nice lead-in to the rest of the skill write-up. While the current discussion brings up good points in regard to this write-up, I think that too much focus is being put on the actual games. While knowing how to play a specific game is important, I think that in the context of this game and for the sake of simplicity, we look at some of the key components of gambling and try to incorporate them into each level of skill.

For example, a gambler should have some ability with numbers/statistics. Thus the mathematics skill would be a nice thing to add in as a useful skill although not required. A novice gambler will have some idea of how to run the numbers in their head and get a rough figure of what the odds are for a specific outcome. In short, the novice develops a rudimentary understanding of statistical odds and can use this understanding to aid in their gambling efforts.

A competent gambler develops the ability to read people when it comes to participation in a game of chance. By noting various facial expressions and paying attention to body movement and tone of voice, a competent gambler can read their opponents in a way that pushes the odds a bit more in their favor. In addition, the competent gambler is capable of masking their own motives going so far as to create a false face when playing against another in a game of chance.

An expert gambler has spent enough time figuring the odds and reading people that such things come to be instinctual for them. The expert shows no emotion when faced with opposition and are nearly impossible to read. Their ability to play the odds is unmatched and they always seem to come out ahead, even when losing.

The master gambler is person unlike any other. Bet against them and lose every time. Playing the odds comes as easily as breathing and even the most stoic of opponents cannot hide their game. The master gambler is said to have abilities that border on premonition as they are able to work out the odds to nearly any game and always choose the best bet without fail.

By adding this to what is already there, you can remain general in descriptions while also focusing more on the core abilities of gambling and less on the specific games.

Otherwise I think it is looking very good. The word use of "pasttime" however should be "pastime" but that is the English major in me.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miharu Mindi on March 28th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Awesome work guys :)

So here a question - since gambling wasn't up when I made my CS, do I change my made-up "cheating at cards" skill to gambling on my sheet?

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook