[Sanctuary] The Errand [Kavala, Ragnor]

In which Kavala and Ragnor find a new agent to send to Avanthal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 17th, 2011, 7:57 am

Sama'el had done his fair share of traveling in his relatively short life. His pavilion had been an exceptionally mobile one, and it had cost them their lives, but they had lived free and happy while they lived. His own meanderings with Horse had already taken him up into Taldera. He knew about traveling in snow and bone-snapping cold. It wasn't that he didn't realize the dangers, but Ragnor might have a son who was seven years old as Sama'el had once been, who had also lost a father. This possible son could not, could not be allowed to lose mother and siblings. This Sama'el knew. If he had learned anything from his life it was that suffering was universal, but a person could lessen that suffering for another person, and sometimes that was all one could hope for in this world.

He raised his hand, not attempting to force Kavala to quiet, but begging peace. He nodded as she refilled the wine, though for a moment, and spoke.

"I am probably foolish to go in Fall, but I have survived Taldera's harsh seasons before. It will be difficult, but I will get as far north as I can and then find a cave and battle the bears for rights to it. But when the Spring thaws come, I will be closer to Ragnor's family. If they are in danger now, it will only grow worse with time."

To Ragnor he said, "Izurabelle in the Winterflame hold. Three children. I will bring them back in the balmy weather, whole and hale."

And if he managed that, he might even become famous in these parts, which would certainly help him remedy his wifelessness problem. Assuming, of course, he survived.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 18th, 2011, 9:50 pm

The snow and ice, even the bitter winter he suffered years hence would all be worth it to feel if he only could for but a moment. He realized the madness of such desires, obsessing over things that could never be brought about, and almost as quick as he had slipped into the trance once more his eyes were focused on the world before him, however harsh the realities may have been. There was no room for such hopes, such dreams that would only seek to drag him down further into the suffocating mire of what had become of himself. No, all he could do, and he needed to do was place his faith in Kavala, and pray that Sam arrived there in time to save the hopes and dreams of his family before they to where lost to the bitter winds of change. A good life was all he had sought in life, and in death, he sought only to settle his accounts, and rectify that which needed to be fixed so his family could have a good life yet. His time of looking to the future was over, but perhaps he could still make it a bit brighter for those he held dear.

"Thank you Sam for doing me this service, come back with them safe and sound, and whatever you speak of needing I'll do my best to repay you. I'd only ask to tack on one more request. When you get there, tell not my wife of my passing. Tis something I'd like to tell her myself" Ragnor said, his words slow and measured as his eyes kept to the drykas before him. Such devastation should not be had without him around to comfort her and he'd not have her depressed on such a long trip back. A few more days of sunshine was to be had before she'd come to know of his passing. "Tell her simply I encountered trouble, and wound up marooned in Riverfall shipless but alright for the most part. I'd not have her worry the whole way back."
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on November 25th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Kavala waited until the men had finished their thoughts and slipped into the clinic. She returned with a small leather pouch that jingled with coin. It was more than she could afford at the moment, but it was what needed to happen. Kavala nodded to Ragnor, then quietly set the bag of coin down next to Sama'el.

"Bringing a woman and her three children across the whole of the continent won't be cheap. They'll need horses if they don't have any, clothing, food, tent, supplies, and that multiplied by four for all of them. Take this Sama'el. It's not as much as I sent the Cerulean with to pay off their debt, but it should be enough to see them through the trip with the supplies they will need if your group hunts and goes in the style all Drykas survive. If you need to spend it for yourself, as long as you see them through to Riverfall in comfort, feel free to do so. Its the least we can do since you are willing to go so far in such a bad time of year." Kavala said, moving to check something on the hearth and distancing herself so there would be no argument.

The pouch contained five hundred gold-rimmed mizas. It was all the spare coin she had until the end of the season, but it would do for buying decent mounts and gear for four people - especially if the children doubled up - if Sama'el was frugal. She liked to think he was for not knowing most of his story, he wore hardship and survival etched on his face like most of the rest of the Drykas he rode as.

With two efforts - the Cerulean and the Drykas - both attempting the same thing, surely Ragnor had a hope of seeing his family again. She wanted them to get her, to be safe, to have what she couldn't have. Kavala admired Ragnor in so many ways and in quite a few envied his wife. Ragnor loved the woman unconditionally and so deeply he'd even thought of her after his death. He spoke never a harsh word about her and his longing for her - her safety, happiness, and family - was tandible. It was something she wanted for herself. It was something all people should have. And she liked having him around because he wasn't shy about expressing those feelings. In a way Ragnor emphasized how life should be, even in his death, which to Kavala was one of the greatest ironies she'd ever run across in her young life.

"No arguments, Sama'el. Just take it and say thanks."
She added, as she was walking away contemplating what would happen if she rode away with Sam like she wanted too... off on an adventure with a purpose that would span a whole world.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Indigo on May 13th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Character: Sama'el
Skills: +1 Riding, +1 Horsemanship, +3 Conversation, +2 Observation, +2 Planning
Lore: A couple familiar faces, True Drykas faith in your horse, Mixing business with pleasure, Drykas/Horse talk, Arrangements made near and far, Family is important,

Character: Ragnor Matlian
Skills: +3 Concentration, +1 Observation, +3 Introspection, +2 Planning
Lore: Concentrating through your fears, Trying to look neat despite ghostly status, It's a ghost thing, Silent contemplation, Soulmist- literally food for the soul, Family is important, Loving your family-even in death,

Character: Kavala
Skills: +3 Animal Husbandry, +2 Rhetoric, +1 Hostessing, +2 Planning, +1 Compassion
Lore: Horses are sound from nose to toes, What's in a name? Drykas etiquette-horses first, Drykas/Horse talk, Hostess even for Soulmist! Family pride,

Notes: Sama'el- Your PC has a gift of getting people to talk and making them feel at ease. You show a wonderful depth of character.
Ragnor Matlian- Your self introspection, while melancholy, is beautifully detailed and a fine example of excellent writing.
Kavala- Your animal husbandry knowledge and hostessing skills are finely crafted and honed to an art form more and more with each thread.
Overall, very well written with excellent detail oriented storyline from all of you-this was a pleasure to read!
Financial note- Kavala be sure to subtract 500 gm from your CS Ledger if you haven't already. Sama'el please add 500gm to your CS Ledger if you haven't already. Ragnor- You might want to note the Soulmist location in your CS as it's pretty much ghostly currency.
If you have any questions or comments about your grade, please PM me.

Indigo
As you wish (no1 gets princess bride quotes)

Words: 84986
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm
Race: Staff account

Previous