[Crypt's Scrapbook] A cup of tea, good sir?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

[Crypt's Scrapbook] A cup of tea, good sir?

Postby Crypt on October 27th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Welcome, my friends, acquaintances and strangers, to this little corner. In this scrapbook you will catch more than just glimpses and scraps of my oftentimes irrational mind and sometimes rational thought processes. You will see the worst and best (I hope) of the being known only to you as the mastermind behind, the puppeteer of one Crypt Insatem. Take a rest here, or fight off my demons. This is Crypt's Scrapbook.

Origins of Crypt's name:

I first created his name when I was just starting to roleplay with a few friends of mine.

Crypt: From the word 'cryptic' - having a meaning that is mysterious or obscure - and not the word 'crypt' - an underground room or vault beneath a church, used as a chapel or burial place.

Insatem: Two meanings, actually. 'In satem' - the Weary and 'Insatem' - insatiable. Latin.

Angry Rant :
Insert witty introductory phrase here.

When I first started in Mizahar (about a month ago; rather short, ain't it?), I was quite excited. I had never participated in such a well-developed RP site before. I thought for days on how my character would be like, what race would he be, and all that. I created my CS and set off to join a thread in Syliras.

I met a new player, Chaude, a Zith. We've had some fun RP-ing together, but he's not been online for a while, so...

And then I carried on. Meeting other players, talking to Storytellers. Participating in a quest, a social thread or two. My initial enthusiasm faded when most of the people I met said that my character concept was overdone. I can't blame them. Crazy characters are a dime a dozen, from what they tell me.

I created Crypt. I based his identity on two people only: the Joker and I. And for that people call me unoriginal. They didn't like what I created, and that saddens me. It has limited his development so much that either his madness has to go or he goes fully insane. No grey area there. I see Crypt trying to recover from his malady. Not many people would want to thread with him, since he's insane. I've been criticised for quite a few things, such as presenting a contradictory view of himself to others. I can't blame them. I'm just that way.

Crypt is my creation. No matter what I copy, borrow, take, etc. from other people's characters, he is my creation and I take pride in bringing it all together. Experienced roleplayers show their dislike for him. Some tolerate him. New players just ignore that fact, and go with the flow.

Thanks, Kavala, for pointing out everything I did wrong.

It's hard to say everything I'm thinking of now. But well, just because something is overdone ad nauseam doesn't mean that it's of inferior quality. I will continue playing Crypt as he is, and I hope that one day... Well, you know what I mean.

I've had so many hopes for him. I wanted Crypt to be a Featured character one day, a trailblazer, and so many other things. But now I see he'll never do most of them. He isn't original. He's overdone. Even though he's my creation. My creation. I take pride in what I create.

You may see all of this as an attempt to sooth my wounded pride. You may see this post as being simply stupid. It's your opinion; you're entitled to it. But it matters quite a lot to me.

We new roleplayers don't know much. That is a given. We come up with so much only to have it shot down for one reason or another; mine is overdone, for example. I may or may not be a unique case. Other new players might not experience such problems.

I don't intend to leave Mizahar now. There's so much left to do. One day I might just kill off Crypt and depart. I don't even know if anyone would care if I did that.
Last edited by Crypt on December 22nd, 2012, 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Kavala on October 27th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks, Kavala, for pointing out everything I did wrong.

I have and always will prefer to work through things IC rather than OOC. It muddies the ground and makes it difficult to really make any progress. This situation is one of them. I don't like to predetermine things. You are getting something hugely confused here though. I don't know your real name or I would use it.

No one's been mean to you, disrespectful of you, and I've answered all of your PMs promptly and with thought. I've reviewed your threads and looked through what you've said about your PC with a lot of thought and even took the time to google a few things. But just because I don't particularly feel that bringing in a character that has your character's issues is useful or beneficial to my current RP situation doesn't mean that I have cast judgement on you as a player. Quoting what you did up there was quite unfair considering all the time I've taken to talk with you this morning. Nor did I once say anything you did was 'wrong' just that it simply wasn't really what we were looking for.

Your PC has mental issues. By your own words you say his mind is shattered and then say he is not insane. He wears a V for Vendetta Mask as evident by your avatar. He acts two distinct ways in thread. He has no - by your own admission - skills that fall into the category of employees my PC is looking to hire (with skills listed that she's interested in). You even asked for a Box code from a player willing to create them that had the words "I'm Mad" in it. And now you are angry that people don't enjoy your PC concept as much as you do and claim hes not insane or mad at all?

Well, its your concept. You write for your own pleasure. But you can't judge others based on what you like and dislike. That's like saying "Something is wrong with you if you prefer chocolate over vanilla because I'm a vanilla person!" And then accusing them of saying you are wrong because you like vanilla and they prefer chocolate. It's a huge disservice.

You know, if you had said you would have created an alt to fit the criteria I was advertising for, there'd be zero issues and I would have gladly said sure, come on over and apply for a position. But you instead tried to force your views of 'normal' on me when I had already stated what we were looking for.

You might think before you write in anger again. People always read what others write on this site and sites like it.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on October 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I wrote in anger. Yep. You're correct. I'm angry that you're correct. I don't like your views. But still, I have to respect them.

I'm angry because people don't appreciate the effort I've put into creating Crypt, no matter how meagre it may be. I want Crypt to do so much and because he can't, I'm angry.

I'm immature. I'm stubborn. That's what I am right now. I don't want to say I'm wrong, even though I am wrong.

Perhaps it would be best if I left Mizahar. After I finish everything. I don't know if I should do it or not.

Well, that's all I've got. Kavala's right, I'm wrong. Nothing much to say, I'm just ranting while she's using logic.

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on October 31st, 2012, 10:09 am

Well, I'm not leaving Mizahar. I hope to start anew from now on, so please don't judge me from what I did before. Thanks for all the encouragement and help you guys gave me.

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on November 5th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Well, just for fun, I'm going to be posting statistics daily about my progress (and others) for NaNoWriMo. If I continue writing as much as I have over the first few days, I'm guaranteed to be a winner! Yay!

All statistics are derived from Tarot's posts. God bless that guy :)

Name of statistic Number
Words so far 11627
Words to go 38373
Mean number of words written/day 2906.75
Personal rank in Tarot's list 11
People meeting daily targets (i.e. >=6667 words) 22

Wow, I guess I'm never going to be the top writer for this year's NaNoWriMo. Eri and Kavala are already over 30k words in the first few days. Damn, that's amazing. We chatters have unanimously declared him to be a computer. Not so sure about Kavala though. Anyway, still going strong! Wish me luck! Good luck to all of you out there valiantly struggling to get those 50k words up on Mizahar! Let's all be winners!

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on November 5th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Today's update! Damn, Kavala's still going strong at 40k words, whereas Eri's trying to catch up with 36k words. These two are awesome! Anyway, I've surpassed Rayage, but it's only a difference of 446 words. Practically nothing, considering that it's the 6th day of NaNo for me! Here's the daily statistics:

Name of statistic Number
Words so far 15486
Words to go 34514
Mean number of words written/day 3097.2
Personal rank in Tarot's list 8
People meeting daily targets (i.e. >=8333 words) 23

More people are meeting their targets! Well, one more, but still, it's encouraging to see people trying even harder. I've spoken to a few people on chat, and quite a few told me that they aren't gunning for that medal this year. Pity, but they won't stop RP-ing. Good luck to everyone, and may your posts be increasingly wonderful! Crypt out!

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on November 6th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Whee~ Gone up more. I'm quite pleased with my output, though looking at Eri and Kavala... If they continue to RP in 2013 and beyond, we're never going to get a chance at being the top writer. :) Still, the daily statistics!

Name of statistic Number
Words so far 18735
Words to go 31265
Mean number of words written/day 3747
Personal rank in Tarot's list 6
People meeting daily targets (i.e. >=10000 words) 21

Well, looks fine to me. A slight decrease in the number of people reaching the proposed target, but still, it's the 10k word barrier. By the end of November most people will be over that, so good job and keep fighting! Oh, Eri and Kavala have exceeded 40k words. I think that's how he's gained so much XP in just one year, but that's just my thinking. Crypt out!

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on November 7th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Kavala is a monster. Well, that's very, very impressive, since she's also doing her duties as a Founder. 51k words already! And Eri's only at 45k. Tarot's joke about it not being NaNoWriWeek was quite hilarious, at least for me. Now, the statistics!

Name of statistic Number
Words so far 22390
Words to go 27610
Mean number of words written/day 3731.67
Personal rank in Tarot's list 6
People meeting daily targets (i.e. >=11667 words) 19

Looking alright for me! I've maintained my position so far, but since I'll be going on holiday from the 24th until 4th December, it's not going to be good for me. Anyway, the number of people's dropped again, this time by a larger number, so not so encouraging. But this is only the first week, so yeah! Don't give up guys, we all can do it!
Last edited by Crypt on November 8th, 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on November 8th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Eri has exceeded 50k words! Liar, he told me he was going for the Excuses medal. :( Anyway, two people have already won. Who's next? :D

Name of statistic Number
Words so far 26091
Words to go 23909
Mean number of words written/day 3261.38
Personal rank in Tarot's list 5
People meeting daily targets (i.e. >=13333 words) 20

Me, Ricky and Ronan are fighting it out in an steel cage death match! We're all around 26k words, and Sliver is catching up. It's getting hard to write now, but Hopefully I'm still going strong. Just a few more Days and I'll take a break. Crypt out!

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

My Scraps.

Postby Crypt on November 10th, 2012, 1:10 am

The ninth day of November (Tenth for me; my time zone is the same as Eri's, Anton's and Nira's, I think) and I've achieved third position! Tarot's commended/mentioned me, and that makes today one of the happier days of my life! Didn't exceed 30k words though, which was my goal for the next rankings. Still, I'm aiming for 33k words next. Statistics!

Name of statistic Number
Words so far 29559
Words to go 20441
Mean number of words/day 3284.33
Personal rank in Tarot's list 3
People meeting daily targets (i.e. >=15000 words) 20

Looks like they're all catching up, mates! An increase from yesterday, and that's good. If this trend continues, we'll have more winners than last year! For all of you that's still writing frantically to keep up with the rest, it's the weekend, so there's more time for breaks between writing, more time for writing in general - that means that your writing should be of a higher quality and quantity! Good luck!

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)