[Tarot's Scrapbook] The Stacked Deck

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Tarot on November 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I actually finished the Dominion thread! *cries and blows nose noisily*

The next lost discipline would be Unity - which I have actually planned in my head and have toyed with since that old quest of mine, The Game - but that one's more heretical than Dominion. What if you could take a (willing) group and turn it into a single entity, forming a soul-sharing gestalt? And when someone cuts you, a Master Unifier, down, you can just transfer the wound to someone in your group, killing them instead?

Anyway, my next priority is finishing the Ravarisk quest. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Phoenix on November 11th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Ravarisk!!! Wooo!!

Tentacle baby or no tentacle baby, that is the question.
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Gossamer on November 16th, 2012, 4:59 pm

I Have A Request.

Sometimes I think you don't jump on soapboxes enough and talk about your amazing creations when it comes to magic. So I've come begging a favor. This doesn't have to be today, tomorrow, or anytime soon. You can even wait until after NaNo or when you have time off from work etc. But I'm begging you please.... talk about Auristics.

Now, for a while I've had this growing 'REALLY?' relationship with Auristics because I've seen it used in all sorts of ways on Mizahar, most of which I suspect you don't intend. I've seen it used for a passive eyesight replacement that works 'just as great as vision' though its never concentrated on, focused, on, or anything of the sort besides maybe lines like 'He looked with auristics, saw the vista before him, and proceeded down the hill.' Okay, I've also seen Auristics used as Xray Machines, to view panties under skirts (I kid you not), to determine if a person was poisoned/had cancer/etc and what specific type where when how etc. And recently someone in chat approached me and wanted to know if by using Auristics they could tell if someone was really asleep or just faking asleep or if they were in REM or what stage of sleep they were in. There are stages of sleep? Seriously? And folks on MIzahar know about them? Wow... just wow.

Okay, so here's my favor. Can you just spend some time in a scrap rambling about it? How do you see it used? Does it get to be a passive magic like everyone seems to use it as? How common is overgiving with it? What can or can't it do? Can it be tailored to individuals? I'm not looking for specifics per say, I'm looking for the spirit of the magic and how much technology it can or can't mimic.

Here's your soapbox.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 16th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I agree! If you have the time you should do Founder's Articles on magic like how Gillar did on his Ziths and Isurians, and Bina on her Eths and... other stuff.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Tarot on December 3rd, 2012, 8:53 am

I have an idea for the soapbox, but it will come in due time.

Right now I have a technical note for you. It's about fixed-width post templates, which a lot of you seem to be using now. Sometimes they don't give their best on smaller screens such as smartphones and tablets. On my two iDevices, I need to scroll left and right with each line of text. That's going to happen on every 1024x768 screen if you have a box that's bigger than around 700 pixels.

If you have that kind of template and it's based on the style bbcode, you can try replacing "width" with "max-width". It shouldn't make any difference on a larger screen such as those of most modern computers, but it will help the text fit in a smaller sized area (unless the inner structure is very weird, I suppose). I am considering making the same, automatic change to the various box and frame bbcodes once it's confirmed to be safe for existing templates.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 3rd, 2012, 9:52 am

I knew it was too good to be true! But my boxes always look fantastic on my android. This is probably why I say stop supporting Apple!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 am

They look just fine on mine too, I just have to scroll to see the rightmost word on every line with some layouts. :) We do want to look perfect everywhere, don't we? (Except IE 6, but that's a different story).
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Evalin on December 3rd, 2012, 5:43 pm

You are talking about stuff I have no knowledge about haha. Tell me how and I shall do it for ya Tarot! I feel my computer illiteracy is showing >.>
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Phoenix on December 11th, 2012, 10:22 am

And finally, because you like My Little Ponies as much as Jen does...

IE Pony!
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Tarot on December 18th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Christmas buffet lunch at work. As I tried to help myself to some water, my coworkers kindly informed me that the water was only there for show and as a trap to catch infidels like me, so I had Sangiovese red and sparkling wine instead. I have zero tolerance to alcohol. Now they expect me to work four more hours like this. Thank you for reminding me how badly I suck at being Italian.

On the other hand, if you have an idea for a space vampire demon fox robot zombie angel monkey PC and are just itching to have it approved, there's never been a better time to apply than the next two hours. Ho ho ho.
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

PreviousNext