The Spider King's Scrapbook

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Gossamer on February 13th, 2013, 11:06 am

Hey Alex,

I think it was high time someone made you a present. I saw this picture and fell in love with it. I thought it would make you the perfect style code in case you ever wanted one. I'm not sure you realize this, but at this point where our gaming careers online have intersected, we've been playing together since 2006. Seven years is a long time to be friends with someone online! It's been a joy the whole time.

Jen

Code: Select all
[style=max-width:750px; padding:10px; border:1px solid #3fe8e5; background-color: #000924; margin:auto;color:#3fe8e5][center][img]http://www.mizahar.com/forums/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=16462[/img][/center][indent]Text[/indent][img]http://www.mizahar.com/forums/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=16463[/img][/style]
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Echelon on February 13th, 2013, 11:11 am

awesome!
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Poison on June 12th, 2013, 6:33 am

Before I got involved in Play by Post games, I wrote fantasy. I even got something published once. I enjoy Mizahar tremendously – writing short stories and novels can be rather lonely, but there is a part of me that wants to work on something original, something that is not a game. I want to hold a book in my hands and leaf through it. I want others to read my book, to tell me what they think, to love it or hate it or perhaps even write fanfiction for it (I can dream, can’t I?).

Before I got involved in Play by Post games, I was working on an original fantasy world – the world of the Twin Suns. drew maps, wrote up detailled histories of the various countries and made biographies and family trees for the various royal families. My world and I have had a somewhat ambivalent relationship – there was a time I thought it sucked and almost threw the things I had written away – but lately I’ve felt myself drawn back to it and have begun to slowly improve it and modernize it.

It’s a world unlike Mizahar, with little magic, very few fantastic races and no real gods. The stories I have written are more about the struggles of the people than the fight against evil. They are a bit like historic novels, but set in a completely different world.

I’ve decided to try and edit one novel I’ve had lying around for years while I continue to post on Mizahar. With the summer coming, I have time. Who knows, maybe something will come out of it, something that isn’t limited to a forum on the internet. I’ve even discovered a forum for fantasy writers in my native language – German – which may make the process of writing a fantasy novel a little less lonely (if they finally open said forum to new users again, that is).

That's all for now. I've decided to reactivate my Scrapbook. I've begun to miss writing in it, and I've decided to make it about more than just Mizahar and the occasional "I'm going to be busy for a while" post. But I will probably make a post about my Kenash PC once the city is finally open for play.
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Words: 432701
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2011, 7:28 pm
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Irriari on June 12th, 2013, 7:31 am

Best of luck with your endeavors. If you ever got your novels/lore/stories of the Twin Suns in a state where you'd feel comfortable letting others read and critique it, I'd love to see what you've written! I really like stories that are centered on the citizenry/inhabitants and their day to day struggles. It captures the world, and all of the quirks, without being stuck to the narrative of *insert noble/royal character here*

I actually had no idea you spoke German. I tried taking a German class recently, to meet my requirements, and man... I really liked our professor, but as soon as he saw that one person had more than a basic knowledge of German, he spoke nothing but German for the first 10 minutes of class... on the first day. I did learn drinking songs, though. :D

I'm excited to see what you write about in here.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Poison on June 12th, 2013, 8:24 am

If I ever manage to make any of my works presentable, you’ll get to read some of it – provided that I decide to write in English from now on. I might even write more about it here.

One of the reasons why my writing outside of Mizahar is currently in a somewhat chaotic state (you don’t want to know how chaotic!) is that I’ve never been able to definitely decide on a language. Parts of that novel I’ve mentioned are in English and parts in German.

While German is the language of my parents, I‘ve learned English very early and consider myself bilingual. In certain areas I can even express myself better in English than in German.

It seems a little easier to get a fantasy novel published in English as the potential market is bigger, but I’m more familiar with the literary scene in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and know of more German resources for writers and those that want to be writers.

So that’s something I need to think about while I try to improve the plot of my novel and hopefully detect and fill all of the plotholes.
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Irriari on June 12th, 2013, 8:37 am

Could you publish it in both languages? I imagine it would be a pain, but you'd get the best of both worlds. Or you could decide on one now, and then work on translating it to the other language in the future, if you were interested in that.

You have absolutely no idea how terribly envious I am that you're bilingual.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Poison on June 13th, 2013, 3:30 pm

I'm not sure if I can simply publish it in both languages. I need to do some research as far as that is concerned. I haven't thought about it yet.

I've done professional translations before - but not from English into German or the other way round - so translating a story or two (or a novel), especially if it's my own work, shouldn't be too hard.

And thank you for being envious. :)
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Poison on June 19th, 2013, 10:13 am

About Me.
A Confession.

I have been active in this community for over two years now. I haven’t known some of my RL friends that long. That – and the fact that Leila, Shepard etc. pretended to be a couple of different people online – have made me decide to come out to a larger part of the playerbase (prior to today I only told a select few people).

I want to get to know some of you better, and I feel that I cannot do this without sharing a few things about myself as well. I want people to know me and not some slightly idealized version of myself.

I’m transgendered. For me that means, while my body is female, my soul, my mind, that which makes me the person I am is male. It’s a rather unpleasant way of being as you may be able to imagine. I was very depressed as a teenager and in my early twenties and severely bullied. I won’t go into details about it though as I’m neither looking for pity nor for more attention than such a topic ultimately deserves.

I’m fine now and have found the courage to admit who I am and do something about it. I have begun the process of transitioning from female to male that consists of regular conversations with a therapist and a combination of hormone therapy and surgeries. It took a bit longer than I had thought – and hoped. I first came out as trans over two years ago, but three moves, one across most of Europe, looking for a new job and a new place to live have delayed the whole process somewhat.

If you have any comments, feel free to post them here or send me a PM. Otherwise I hope to continue to RP with you all for quite some time, and I thank you for reading my Scrapbook.
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Iskessah on June 20th, 2013, 2:18 am

*hugs*

I have several trans-gendered friends now. I still don't know a whole lot about it, but I like to be as supportive as possible :D

You and I have been rp-ing together (albeit slowly) for over a year now, so getting to know each other better at this point would not be unreasonable, if we are so inclined. (Not sure how one goes about doing such a thing, but I'm not opposed to it :P )
Iskessah
Player

Words: 140537
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sosicly Magnolia on June 20th, 2013, 3:54 am

Well I'm not very active outside of the IC forum or ever really but I will say what I know of you and your writing that you are just you. I enjoy your writing and you and I have stalker your scrapbook for awhile and I am honored you wanted to share this with us and I look forward to continuing on with you in the fair city of Kalinor and perhaps getting to know you as well, since I have been here you have been amazing and supportive so I am here to do the same and I need to use periods :D
Sosicly Magnolia
Silence is Open to Misconception

Words: 175085
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2013, 4:37 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext